TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Main TiVo Forums > HDTV TiVo Powered PVRs
>>> How would you like to see the Bandwidth Used? <<<

Pages (5): « Prev 1 2 [3] 4 5 Next »  
Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
foster is offline Old Post 05-29-2004 09:26 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for foster Find more posts by foster Add foster to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
foster

HD for everyone

I can understand why a lot of people would like to add their locals or national feeds for HD programming. However, IMO if you are going add HD content it should be available to ALL subscribers. The bandwith is just too precious not to.
Yes, I can receive OTA signals.(However NBC is not in HD, CBS and FOX are currently not operational) I just think we all pay too much money for an HD package to add channels that only a select can view. This would make it even more of a waste.
Regardless of what gets added, not everyone will be happy. I would just rather have BravoHD and find something once a week that I might watch, than to have a local or national feed telling me I am not authorized for it's programming.

Hughes E86, Hughes HD10-250 Tivo(soon)

POST #41 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

JimSpence is offline Old Post 05-29-2004 11:30 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for JimSpence Visit JimSpence's homepage! Find more posts by JimSpence Add JimSpence to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JimSpence
TiVo Forum Special Member

[soapbox]
First, let me say that I don't give a rats ass how many times we've discussed the carriage of WB and UPN as DNS by DirecTV. I'm sure there are many DirecTV subscribers that don't have one or the other that would pay to get them. Forget whether they are "networks" or not. As for locals on DirecTV, my WB is cable-only and therefore wouldn't be carried, my UPN is very low power so it won't either. I have no problem with HD OTA at the moment, except that only two are broadcasting in HD, ABC and PBS. The others are just digital at the moment, CBS and Fox (with UPN on a sub channel). You'll notice the lack of NBC, its a retransmission from Elmira. So regardless of the excuses given, just allow me the opportunity to get a national feed for all "networks", especially for HD.
[/soapbox]

Waivers for all four nets are in place.
I'm suspicious of newbies, but tolerant!
And, just because I have a bunch of posts doesn't mean I'm always right.
Add 1231 for accurate post count.

POST #42 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Fluffybear is offline Old Post 05-31-2004 07:03 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Fluffybear Find more posts by Fluffybear Add Fluffybear to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Fluffybear

You can not forget whether they are networks or not because you keep stating you want them added as a DNS and that is not possible as long as they do not qualify as a network.

Both UPN and Wb have had enough time to add the necessary programming in order to qualify for network status but they have elected to remain under the 15 hour requirement.

DirecTV does not have the capacity to offer everyone on national feeds and if you want to offer 'all programming services' then let's start discussing what we can get rid of so we can offer every "network" out there. There is at least a dozen more programming services out there which fall in the same boat as WB and UPN and I personally do not want to waste satellite space on them either.

What you want is a superstation package and I have supported that package for a number of years.

Let me ask you what are you willing to give up to offer every "network" out there on DirecTV? especially in HD!

Philips PTV100 (Unmodified)
DirecTV HR10-250 (70 Hours HD)
Philips DSR6000 (106 Hours)
Sony SAT-T60 (146 Hours)
Hughes HDVR2 (unmodified)

POST #43 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Ken7 is offline Old Post 05-31-2004 07:08 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Ken7 Find more posts by Ken7 Add Ken7 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ken7

quote:
Originally posted by Paperboy2003
YES Network......and yes I'm a Yankee's fan.

Didn't even know they we're broadcasting HD!!!

They're not.

POST #44 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Regina is offline Old Post 06-01-2004 12:17 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Regina Visit Regina's homepage! Find more posts by Regina Add Regina to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Regina
Friendly Pharmacist

LOCALS! LOCALS! LOCALS! LOCALS!
...and did I mention locals? Hee! I have been able to get all my OTA locals except for WB4, which is the station which broadcasts a lot of Pacers games. And the PBS local is not as strong as I had initially hoped. I hope by next (Pacers) season D* will have my locals. I also have noticed that the OTA channels are much more sensitive to rain fade than the D* channels.
..and as an aside:
GO PACERS! You can do it! 3-2? Big deal! Pacers in 7! Pacers in 7! YAY!

32" Sony WEGA
20" Toshiba Flat Screen

POST #45 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

mchaney is offline Old Post 06-01-2004 02:51 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for mchaney Find more posts by mchaney Add mchaney to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
mchaney
Dude THERE'S my Tivo

I say forget the locals. There are too many of them for HD to be practical for D* to transmit HD for every market. In addition, a very good percentage of the people in each of those markets can get OTA anyway, some of them by doing nothing more than taping a coat hanger to the back of their rack. I installed a simple Radio Shack roof mount antenna, mast, and rotator years ago and can pick up the Baltimore HD stations 20 miles away at 90+ signal strength and Washington D.C. HD stations at 80+ signal strength from over 40 miles away! And we're talking all four networks. Even the stations 40 miles away suffer from absolutely no rain fade and only momentary lightning distortions, which is a lot better than D* even with a GainMaster antenna. This is shooting through a thick layer of 60 foot tall trees too! My sister gets them all just as strong from basically the same area with nothing more than a $19.00 Radio Shack indoor antenna sitting on top of her receiver because she has no trees to shoot through.

Locals would be a 100% waste for me because I'd rather watch the unadulterated versions over the air and not have to worry about rain fade anyway. Why waste bandwidth on a market where the majority of people can get the same thing OTA; you'd only be helping the very few who, for whatever reason, can't get an OTA signal when the tower is right across the street? Put the bandwidth in places where everyone can benefit: Starz HD, Cinemax, TNT, etc. HD content is too prescious to waste by repeating locals in 4 dozen markets!

Mike

POST #46 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Syzygy is offline Old Post 06-01-2004 04:12 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Syzygy Find more posts by Syzygy Add Syzygy to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Syzygy

No PPV.

No locals. This is the HD-TiVo subforum, after all. OTA looks much better than CBS on satellite or various local HD channels on cable. According to reports in this forum (including trausch in this thread), DBS and cable transmissions of locals are compressed.

• Bravo -- but only if they'll stop inserting those annoying weather alerts!
• FOX SPORTS Midwest [not on the list]
• SciFi [not on the list]
• TNT
• WGN -- for the Cubbies

I'd list History & Tennis, but these are marked "will produce HD content for other channels".

No hockey, please. It's almost as hard to watch on INHD as it is in SD.

What's all this about "Comcast Sportnet HD"? My Comcast don't got it!

I second chris_h's motion for stopping the compression -- not of locals but of all HD.

quote:
trausch said:
...I would wager that only a small fraction of people joined DirecTV for the HD TiVo... If you dumped your cable company to join DirecTV to get HDTV TiVo then welcome to the club....now, bend over.
I did just that! (Joined DirecTV for the HD TiVo, that is... I won't bend over, no matter how sweetly you ask. Besides, it was Comcast that was giving me the shaft.)

POST #47 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

JimSpence is offline Old Post 06-04-2004 06:41 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for JimSpence Visit JimSpence's homepage! Find more posts by JimSpence Add JimSpence to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JimSpence

What about those subscribers that won't be able to get one or more of the "networks" when their locals are available from DirecTV? I have waivers for the big four. Just let me have the same opportunity for WB and UPN, whether they are "networks" or not.

If DirecTV could get rid of some of the least watched channels then there would be room on CONUS for more HD.

Now that 7s is operational, maybe will will see some positive changes.

POST #48 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Paperboy2003 is offline Old Post 06-04-2004 08:26 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Paperboy2003 Find more posts by Paperboy2003 Add Paperboy2003 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Paperboy2003
Wasting time here

quote:
Originally posted by Ken7
They're not.

Someone listed Yes HD on one of the lists......It was wishful thinking perhaps!

POST #49 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Fluffybear is offline Old Post 06-04-2004 08:59 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Fluffybear Find more posts by Fluffybear Add Fluffybear to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Fluffybear

quote:
Originally posted by JimSpence
What about those subscribers that won't be able to get one or more of the "networks" when their locals are available from DirecTV? I have waivers for the big four. Just let me have the same opportunity for WB and UPN, whether they are "networks" or not.

If DirecTV could get rid of some of the least watched channels then there would be room on CONUS for more HD.

Now that 7s is operational, maybe will will see some positive changes.

If WB and UPN would just add the couple of hours necessary in order to qualify as a NETWORK this would be a non-issue and DirecTV could offer them in a distant network package but because they refuse to add those hours we are stuck with having to hope the DirecTV will someday add a Superstation package.

I would really love to see a superstation package out there and it doesn't have to be in HD either. KTLA and I believe WWOR and several other Superstations are already on full conus trnasponders so building a package would not involve using additional capacity. Waivers would NOT be necessary in this case either. Only when UPN and WB become full-fledged networks would a waiver be necessary.

I understand how frustrated you are about this but we need to be fighting for the right thing. WB and UPN are not networks and do not qualify to be added as Distant Networks so we need to be asking DirecTV for a superstation package or need to get tot he nwtworks and get them to add the necessary programming to make them legally defined networks and once that happens we can go after DirecTV about adding the two to Distant Network package..

Philips PTV100 (Unmodified)
DirecTV HR10-250 (70 Hours HD)
Philips DSR6000 (106 Hours)
Sony SAT-T60 (146 Hours)
Hughes HDVR2 (unmodified)

POST #50 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Wisegoat is offline Old Post 06-04-2004 09:12 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Wisegoat Find more posts by Wisegoat Add Wisegoat to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Wisegoat
TiVoGoat

quote:
And made up: Cartoon Network HD (Let me see ALL of those old widescreen Tom & Jerry's LOL)

I would love that! I am so sick of watching those episodes, knowing that there is more going on left & right that we are not seeing. I also hate all of the PC editing that they have done to the old episodes. They changed the black maid's voice, cut out all blackface jokes, etc. I remember watching these uncut every morning before school.

Cartoon Network HD would also be good for Adult Swim and all of the Anime that is already in HD in Japan!

Don't give us the bastardized version of TiVo! Give us all of the functionality that it offers!

DirecTV HR10-250 (30hours HD, 200Hours SD)
DirecTV SD-DVR40 (40hours SD)

POST #51 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

grapaslingo is offline Old Post 06-04-2004 09:46 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for grapaslingo Find more posts by grapaslingo Add grapaslingo to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
grapaslingo

Those of you who easily receive OTA HD take the ability to get locals for granted. Good for you that you put up a little silver sensor on top of your TV and casually aimed it out the window. The rest of us--those living in CANYONS behind HILLS with lots of TREES would love to see something like what D* offers for CBS only not in the #@$&% "selected markets"!

There is absolutely nothing I care about compared to getting the locals. For you guys the other HD offerings are just icing on the cake.

POST #52 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

bushead is offline Old Post 06-04-2004 09:50 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for bushead Find more posts by bushead Add bushead to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bushead

I concur, HD locals or national networks in HD would be the #1 thing on my list. They are very important to some of us. As far as it not being possible, there are definitly some that disagree with that opinion at avsforum here HD locals may be more than feasable sooner than some believe...

POST #53 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

trausch is offline Old Post 06-04-2004 09:51 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for trausch Find more posts by trausch Add trausch to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
trausch

quote:
Originally posted by grapaslingo
Those of you who easily receive OTA HD take the ability to get locals for granted. Good for you that you put up a little silver sensor on top of your TV and casually aimed it out the window. The rest of us--those living in CANYONS behind HILLS with lots of TREES would love to see something like what D* offers for CBS only not in the #@$&% "selected markets"!

There is absolutely nothing I care about compared to getting the locals. For you guys the other HD offerings are just icing on the cake.

The locals on Direct TV Suck. They are so over compressed it is not funny. On my HDTV reciever I have the SD CBS and HD CBS from direct TV next to the OTA CBS. That way I can click between all three of them. The colour and sound is better on the HD signal on both channles but the OTA picture is ultra sharp. Anyone know what the bit rate is for the diect TV HD Locals?

POST #54 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

grapaslingo is offline Old Post 06-04-2004 09:54 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for grapaslingo Find more posts by grapaslingo Add grapaslingo to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
grapaslingo

One question:

Is the HD CBS feed better than the SD one? That's good enough for me because something is better than nothing.

POST #55 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

bushead is offline Old Post 06-04-2004 10:00 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for bushead Find more posts by bushead Add bushead to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bushead

100% absolutely. Not even a question, not even close. I cannot compare it to OTA, but I would believe the OTA to be slightly better just based on some assumptions on the bandwith that each has available.

POST #56 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

grapaslingo is offline Old Post 06-04-2004 10:11 PM
grapaslingo

Oh well, I can't be too harsh. I suppose if I had OTA right now I might not be as sympathetic towards those who didn't.

By the way, any soccer fans check out the HDNET games?

Holy Crap--they're gorgeous.

POST #57 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

vstone is offline Old Post 06-05-2004 01:27 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for vstone Find more posts by vstone Add vstone to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
vstone

quote:
Originally posted by ChrisW6ATV
AMC and Fox Movie Channel are two non-premium channels I know of that show widescreen movies. 'Widescreen/original aspect ratio' and 'non-premium' (as well as 'non-edited') are my ideal criteria for HD programming. I have heard that AMC is not as good as it once was, but I have not checked it in a while since I started watching mostly HD content.
AMC doesn't even show widescreen any more.

POST #58 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

PRMan is offline Old Post 06-05-2004 09:42 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for PRMan Visit PRMan's homepage! Find more posts by PRMan Add PRMan to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
PRMan

quote:
Originally posted by pornogoat
I would love that! I am so sick of watching those episodes, knowing that there is more going on left & right that we are not seeing. I also hate all of the PC editing that they have done to the old episodes. They changed the black maid's voice, cut out all blackface jokes, etc. I remember watching these uncut every morning before school.

Cartoon Network HD would also be good for Adult Swim and all of the Anime that is already in HD in Japan!

Exactly.

Plus Justice League and Teen Titans are in widescreen already (probably 480p because they know they are hitting DVD). They could produce them in HD. That would be really cool. Right now I Zoom and it's pretty good but additional resolution would be nice.

Also, CBS-HD on D* got MUCH better yesterday, if anyone happened to notice. Probably because of some channel moves I would guess. It looks as good as HDNet now. And sounds better.

POST #59 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

JimSpence is offline Old Post 06-05-2004 07:56 PM
JimSpence

One fix for the WB/UPN problem with them not having enough primetime programming to be "networks" is for them to merge into one network. Won't happen, but it's a thought.

POST #60 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged