TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Main TiVo Forums > HDTV TiVo Powered PVRs
>>> How would you like to see the Bandwidth Used? <<<

Pages (5): « First ... « Prev 2 3 4 [5]  
Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
WadeSc is offline Old Post 06-17-2004 07:27 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for WadeSc Find more posts by WadeSc Add WadeSc to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
WadeSc

Regional Sports Networks would be my vote. I think HD really shines when doing Live Sports-especially outdoor sports.

POST #81 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

davidjplatt is offline Old Post 06-17-2004 09:41 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for davidjplatt Find more posts by davidjplatt Add davidjplatt to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
davidjplatt

quote:
Originally posted by trausch

1) Less likely to be affected by weather

I don't think that is necessarily true. I think OTA is less prone to weather outages than the dish.

4) Basically the locally owned stations are being foced to broadcast in HDTV, they don't like it. and go about it with the same enthusiasm as my 3 year old when I make him clean his room.

That is actually an incorrect statement. Locally owned stations are being forced to broadcast in digital, NOT HDTV.

POST #82 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

phaseshift is offline Old Post 06-17-2004 07:22 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for phaseshift Find more posts by phaseshift Add phaseshift to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
phaseshift

I think it's unrealistic to provide HD locals via satellite under current bandwidth. Even if DTV does the top 30 markets, as someone quoted the CEO as saying would happen, that leaves a few hundred markets without such coverage. On the other hand, those who say people should just get an antenna should realize: not everyone is a homeowner. Condo associations often prohibit them, and apartment buildings almost always do.

As for providing national feeds, as CBS allows in its O&O markets, there are two things to keep in mind:

• Local news is important for a lot of people. Maybe not for you, but for a lot. Local weather is even more important, especially in areas subject to severe weather.
  • If you're watching a national feed, you are lowering the ratings for your local station. And that's not just a matter of stuffing profits into the station owner's pockets. You may not care, but if the ratings go down, the station's income is lowered. Budgets get slashed. The station will be forced to cut back on the kind of news and weather coverage they can provide. That's a loss to the community.

That said; there's a lot of HD programming that DTV doesn't have. I want all of it!

POST #83 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

kcmurphy88 is offline Old Post 06-18-2004 04:37 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for kcmurphy88 Find more posts by kcmurphy88 Add kcmurphy88 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
kcmurphy88

Re: How would you like to see the Bandwidth Used?

quote:
Originally posted by trausch
Here is a list of avaiable HD Channels. I am not the author.

http://www.satelliteguys.us/attachment.php?attachmentid=827

How would you like to see Direct TV Use there bandwidth?

For me it would be locals and maybe add some HDTV hockey games. I usually get the center ice package and I would love to have some of that in HDTV like they do for the NFL. The CBC in Canada sometimes shows Leaf games in HD and I would kill to see that feed.

Me, I'd wipe out ALL the locals. Put up an antenna, get basic cable, or go without. There are 1500 local TV stations in the USA and it's nuts to expect D* to find bandwidth for all of them (1490 of which I can never see). This goes 5 times over for HD locals.

After that, I'd add HD & SD network stations from each of maybe 10 regions, lus national feeds, with the selected stations scattered accross the region so that you have local news on one of them. That would burn maybe 50 HD and 50 SD channels.

After that, I'd have HD feeds for any SD sat channel that could provide one, as well as HD-only channels. I want LOTS AND LOTS of HD channels.

POST #84 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

kcmurphy88 is offline Old Post 06-18-2004 04:42 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for kcmurphy88 Find more posts by kcmurphy88 Add kcmurphy88 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
kcmurphy88

quote:
Originally posted by joker454
Come setup my antenna then. After going thru 7 different antennas (all professionally installed) I still can't get OTA reliably. The strongest signal I have *ever* pulled is with antenna setup #7, which is currently a Channel Master 4228 mounted 6 feet above my peak roofline, and Channel Master 7775 amp. It's the most obnoxious looking setup you can imagine, neighbors from blocks away can see it and have come by to ask me what its for. In the end, it gives me a whopping 40-50 signal stength on CBS, 25-35 on NBC, and 35-40 on ABC, and thats on a *good* day. The numbers are usually less than that. So basically, all unwatcheable. And I'm only 10 miles from the towers.

And it will never get any better if the FCC makes all the cable and sat companies provide transmission equipment for your local broadcasters. The question becomes then "What are these broadcasters doing, other than extortion?"

POST #85 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Bigg is offline Old Post 06-19-2004 03:17 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Bigg Find more posts by Bigg Add Bigg to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bigg
Advanced Member

quote:
Originally posted by phaseshift
I think it's unrealistic to provide HD locals via satellite under current bandwidth. Even if DTV does the top 30 markets, as someone quoted the CEO as saying would happen, that leaves a few hundred markets without such coverage. On the other hand, those who say people should just get an antenna should realize: not everyone is a homeowner. Condo associations often prohibit them, and apartment buildings almost always do.

As for providing national feeds, as CBS allows in its O&O markets, there are two things to keep in mind:

• Local news is important for a lot of people. Maybe not for you, but for a lot. Local weather is even more important, especially in areas subject to severe weather.
  • If you're watching a national feed, you are lowering the ratings for your local station. And that's not just a matter of stuffing profits into the station owner's pockets. You may not care, but if the ratings go down, the station's income is lowered. Budgets get slashed. The station will be forced to cut back on the kind of news and weather coverage they can provide. That's a loss to the community.

That said; there's a lot of HD programming that DTV doesn't have. I want all of it!

By the time enough people have HDTVs to make a difference, DIrecTV will be using spaceway birds or MPEG4DiVx video codecs to fit HD locals. The news ain't in HD yet. Sorry. Watch the news on the sat local feed, watch primetime on the national feed.
RSNs seem popular.
Also, most apartment biulding let you use a community antenna, and they are usually in cities where the broadcasters are close. And remember the grade B signal test.

POST #86 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged