TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
>>> Best Buy Insert <<<

Pages (2): [1] 2 Next »  
Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Kracko is offline Old Post 05-30-2004 11:19 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Kracko Find more posts by Kracko Add Kracko to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Kracko

Best Buy Insert

Today's Best Buy insert says that HMO is free with the purchase of a Tivo. I looked for small print but see nothing that says that you will ever be charged for HMO. Does anyone know anything about this? Is HMO really free this weekend? I just bought two Tivos on Monday and if that's the case, I'll return them and rebuy two more to avoid paying the 150 it will cost me after my 30 day trial expires.

POST #1 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Leo Valiant is offline Old Post 05-31-2004 12:00 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Leo Valiant Find more posts by Leo Valiant Add Leo Valiant to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Leo Valiant

I don't think there's anyway you could read that ad and think you wouldn't get it free. Especially when the fine print mentions service fees and lifetime fees. But I'm skeptical. Goodguy's ad doesn't mention it (nice $119 price BTW) and it seems like if TiVo did this, it would be across the board.

No mention of it on BestBuy's website though I did find this interesting...
"In the coming months, TiVo plans to implement software enhancements that, along with these high-speed data ports, will enable your box to go beyond TV to the brave new frontier of media-on-demand. TiVo Series2 will be your gateway to exciting new services like music downloads, interactive gaming and streaming video. "

POST #2 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Kracko is offline Old Post 05-31-2004 12:06 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Kracko Find more posts by Kracko Add Kracko to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Kracko

According to tvpredictions.com the new features are web browsing and photo editing.

But as far as that ad, I'm happy to see you agree with me. I thought I was missing something.

POST #3 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

David Scavo is offline Old Post 05-31-2004 03:25 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for David Scavo Find more posts by David Scavo Add David Scavo to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
David Scavo

quote:
Originally posted by Kracko
According to tvpredictions.com the new features are web browsing and photo editing.

But as far as that ad, I'm happy to see you agree with me. I thought I was missing something.

Kracko, I agree with you. The way I read the ad is I get HMO for free when I purchase the unit.

No mention at all of "free trial of HMO".

Going to be some mad Best Buy purchasers when they shut off free trial.

POST #4 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Oxygen99 is offline Old Post 05-31-2004 04:56 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Oxygen99 Find more posts by Oxygen99 Add Oxygen99 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Oxygen99

I think Tivo is going to include HMO with new units/ current subscriptions at no extra cost. Wouldn't this make since because as far as I know they have not set a end to the free trial. The question I have to ask is why did I have to pay for it on both of my units, where is my freebee for being a loyal customer.

POST #5 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Kracko is offline Old Post 05-31-2004 05:52 AM
Kracko

quote:
Originally posted by Oxygen99
The question I have to ask is why did I have to pay for it on both of my units, where is my freebee for being a loyal customer.

That's my question too as I expected to pay for this service. I'm currently on the free trial and I want to make sure I don't miss out on this for not being able to wait five days.

POST #6 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

robm15 is offline Old Post 05-31-2004 07:14 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for robm15 Visit robm15's homepage! Find more posts by robm15 Add robm15 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
robm15

quote:
Wouldn't this make since because as far as I know they have not set a end to the free trial.

According to TIVO.com, the HMO free trial ends on June 8th.

POST #7 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

dmk1974 is offline Old Post 06-01-2004 09:26 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for dmk1974 Find more posts by dmk1974 Add dmk1974 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dmk1974

I went into my local Best Buy today to get a Tivo with the free HMO as well. After getting bounced around for 40 minutes from manager (all who read the ad the same way I did) to manager, they assured me that all I'd have to do is call Tivo to set up and mention the Best Buy ad and they would give me the free HMO. I knew there was no way this would happen so I had them write me a ticket that if Tivo didn't honor it, Best Buy would give me the $99 credit because of their error.

Looks like I'll be stopping by BB tomorrow to get my credit. The Tivo CSR told me he personally had a call before mine regarding the same ad.

POST #8 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

MighTiVo is offline Old Post 06-01-2004 10:39 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for MighTiVo Find more posts by MighTiVo Add MighTiVo to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MighTiVo
TiVotarian

quote:
Originally posted by dmk1974
I went into my local Best Buy today to get a Tivo with the free HMO as well. After getting bounced around for 40 minutes from manager (all who read the ad the same way I did) to manager, they assured me that all I'd have to do is call Tivo to set up and mention the Best Buy ad and they would give me the free HMO. I knew there was no way this would happen so I had them write me a ticket that if Tivo didn't honor it, Best Buy would give me the $99 credit because of their error.

Looks like I'll be stopping by BB tomorrow to get my credit. The Tivo CSR told me he personally had a call before mine regarding the same ad.

So you are saying TiVo would not honor the deal?

POST #9 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

dmk1974 is offline Old Post 06-01-2004 11:04 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for dmk1974 Find more posts by dmk1974 Add dmk1974 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dmk1974

quote:
Originally posted by MighTiVo

Tivo said they have that free TRIAL period through June 8th, but not the full free $99 valued HMO service as it reads in the BB flyer.

POST #10 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Turtleboy is offline Old Post 06-02-2004 04:53 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Turtleboy Find more posts by Turtleboy Add Turtleboy to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Turtleboy

quote:
Originally posted by MighTiVo

Why should TiVo honor Best Buy's mistake?

What if Best Buy printed an ad that said, "Buy Tivo and get Free lifetime Service?" Or "Buy a Tivo and get 10 Free Slurpees from 7-11?" (without telling TiVo or 7-11).

The Tivo people haven't commented yet, b/c they are probably on the phone with BB figuring out what the hell happened, and how to fix this, and retain customer goodwill.

I wouldn't be surprised if TiVo does end up giving free hmo to people who purhcased a Tivo from BB during the applicable time period, and BB and Tivo split the costs behind the scenes.

POST #11 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

dmk1974 is offline Old Post 06-02-2004 05:01 AM
dmk1974

I think Best Buy should cover 100% of the cost of the HMO since it's their printed ad. That's what they are going to be doing with me.

POST #12 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

shaunrose is offline Old Post 06-02-2004 05:08 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for shaunrose Find more posts by shaunrose Add shaunrose to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
shaunrose

Let me know if you are successful! I bought two this weekend.

POST #13 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

MediaLivingRoom is offline Old Post 06-02-2004 05:28 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for MediaLivingRoom Visit MediaLivingRoom's homepage! Find more posts by MediaLivingRoom Add MediaLivingRoom to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MediaLivingRoom
Special Ed Student

quote:
Originally posted by Turtleboy
Why should TiVo honor Best Buy's mistake?

What if Best Buy printed an ad that said, "Buy Tivo and get Free lifetime Service?" Or "Buy a Tivo and get 10 Free Slurpees from 7-11?" (without telling TiVo or 7-11).

The Tivo people haven't commented yet, b/c they are probably on the phone with BB figuring out what the hell happened, and how to fix this, and retain customer goodwill.

I wouldn't be surprised if TiVo does end up giving free hmo to people who purhcased a Tivo from BB during the applicable time period, and BB and Tivo split the costs behind the scenes.

cAN i Have a CoKe SlIrpeE?

POST #14 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

vasilemj is offline Old Post 06-02-2004 09:54 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for vasilemj Find more posts by vasilemj Add vasilemj to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
vasilemj

When I walk into Best Buy tomorrow they have two options:

1. They will pay for my free Home Media Option on the $199 80-hour TiVo

or

2. I will take my business to The Good Guys, order online, not pay any taxes (I live out of state), and get free shipping

It's as simple as that.....do you want my business or not?

POST #15 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

jimbocobb is offline Old Post 06-02-2004 10:38 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for jimbocobb Visit jimbocobb's homepage! Find more posts by jimbocobb Add jimbocobb to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jimbocobb

quote:
Originally posted by vasilemj
When I walk into Best Buy tomorrow they have two options:

1. They will pay for my free Home Media Option on the $199 80-hour TiVo

or

2. I will take my business to The Good Guys, order online, not pay any taxes (I live out of state), and get free shipping

It's as simple as that.....do you want my business or not?

Most likely not since they would more than likely sustain a pretty large loss in that transaction and the general purpose of businesses is to make a profit, but since they messed up in the ad they may be willing to eat the loss to avoid the loss of goodwill with customers.

POST #16 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

bedelman is offline Old Post 06-02-2004 09:38 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for bedelman Visit bedelman's homepage! Find more posts by bedelman Add bedelman to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bedelman
Call me Bob

quote:
Originally posted by vasilemj
FWIW -- you are still liable to pay the sales tax. Just because the vendor isn't responsible to collect the sales tax, doesn't mean that you're no longer liable for it. There's generally a place on your state's income tax return to report any sales tax payment that you owe them.

1 Pioneer DVR-810H
2 TiVo Series 2 80 hour (one living with son in college)
1 TiVo Series 2 140 hour
1 Humax DRT-800 DVD Recorder with TiVo
1 Sony SVR-2000 (living with other son in Michigan)

POST #17 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

jjokerski is offline Old Post 06-02-2004 09:43 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for jjokerski Find more posts by jjokerski Add jjokerski to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jjokerski
Drank the kool-aid

Right now you can't pay for HMO even if you wanted to. Until the point where you no longer have HMO (free trial ends and the service is removed) Best Buy hasn't lied. See the other thread for my crazy theory on this.

POST #18 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

vasilemj is offline Old Post 06-03-2004 10:03 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for vasilemj Find more posts by vasilemj Add vasilemj to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
vasilemj

Update.........

I have more intelligence in my left ******** (or right for that matter) than any Best Buy employee has....period!

First, calling directly into my Best Buy store is a joke. You can't call directly in, rather while you think you are dialing into your local store you are actually being routed to a call center. The call center people have no idea what the hell you're talking about so they try to call someone in the store you were originally trying to contact in the first place. After being placed on hold for 5 minutes, the call center rep returns and tells me that he did not have success reaching anyone in the "Home Theater" department. When I ask to speak to a manager, he once again tries to contact the store to no avail. After this little game has gone on for about 15 minutes I was finally put in touch with someone who could help me with my dilemma....the security guy!

That's right, the call center rep passed me onto the guy who checks your receipt and bag as you walk out the door! Needless to say, this guy was useless but he did tell me how to get in touch with a manager (but not after first getting bounced around to 3 different departments and speaking with 3 people who can't even spell TiVo).

After doing this, I did finally speak with a manager who, you guessed it, was completely useless because he didn't have the authorization to make an executive decision I guess. First, he needed to check with a general manager, the advertising/merchandising department of the home office and someone from TiVo.

To make a long story short, I told him to do whatever he needed to do but that if he didn't honor the advertisement I would not only take my business elsewhere but that I would also file a complaint with the FTC (see thread: http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-v...threadid=177952). That seemed to get his attention and he said he would call me back in 24 hours.

Someone from Best Buy did call me back an hour later and provided the revelation that "to activate HMO I would need to call TiVo, something would be downloaded", and it would be ready to go 3 days later." Well, thanks for the newsflash genius but that doesn't exactly solve my problem of how you're going to reimburse me the $99 does it now?

The saga continues.....

POST #19 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

cwdrake is offline Old Post 06-04-2004 12:10 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for cwdrake Find more posts by cwdrake Add cwdrake to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
cwdrake

I spoke to someone in TiVo's customer service department last night. They are aware of the Best Buy ad. The women on the other line told me that even though she couldn't "officially" tell me, that HMO will be free to all TiVo users after the trial ends. She said that she has a script that she has to read for people asking questions about the Best Buy ad, but she was very nice and kept trying to find ways to tell me HMO was going to be free, without actually saying that directly. I actually bought one yesterday, but I won't be opening the box until next week. I want to make sure that I can still return the thing in case it doesn't work out.

Craig

POST #20 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged