TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo UK
>>> Recovering recordings on bad HDD <<<

Pages (2): [1] 2 Next »  
Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
kabe is offline Old Post 06-03-2004 09:34 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for kabe Find more posts by kabe Add kabe to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
kabe

Unhappy Recovering recordings on bad HDD

As per earlier post, Tivo was failing to boot, have run the samsung HUTIL against the HDD and it failed on surface scan (everything else OK), so am looking at RMA etc. My pressing question is is there anyway to recover the treasured recordings from the HDD ? I suspect it may just be the bootable piece that is shot, and that the recordings themseves may be readable (I didnt have to many picture jumps etc only this booting issue)- is there anyway to copy just the recordings onto a new 120gb drive ? (I'm assuming a copy may fail if I copied everything via MFSTools because of the bad sectors. )
Thanks in advance.

POST #1 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Robert S is offline Old Post 06-03-2004 10:03 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Robert S Find more posts by Robert S Add Robert S to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Robert S
TiVo Forum Special Member

When you get a replacement, use dd to try to clone the whole disk.

If that doesn't boot, image the drive from a known-good backup, verify that that boots and then copy the MFS partitions (10 and up) from the failing drive.

POST #2 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

kabe is offline Old Post 06-04-2004 02:27 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for kabe Find more posts by kabe Add kabe to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
kabe

Thanks Robert,
Where can I find the commands to do a selective copy of partitions 10 and up ? (I couldnt see that in Hinsdale, and my knowledge of linux is near-zero).

Also can anyone point me at an idiot's guide to using dd_rescue ? all I can find on the forum seems to need more linux knowledge than I have. Is it just a question on downloading to a floppy and running it from a knoppix boot disk

Many thanks

POST #3 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Robert S is offline Old Post 06-04-2004 04:06 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Robert S Find more posts by Robert S Add Robert S to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Robert S

Start by doing the straight dd copy, which is in Hinsdale.

Copying the partitions just means booting in byteswapping mode, checking that the partition tables match and then running dd with the partition numbers (hdX10 to hdY10, for example).

dd_rescue is on the Knoppix CD, so that's not difficult. Running dd_rescue with access to the individual TiVo partitions might be more difficult, but I don't see that that would be necessary.

POST #4 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

kabe is offline Old Post 06-04-2004 05:34 AM
kabe

Thank again. Forgive my ignorance, but is booting in byteswapping mode an option on MFSTools or do I need a different boot CD ? Any clarification gratefully received.

POST #5 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Robert S is offline Old Post 06-04-2004 06:06 AM
Robert S

You can do either. The other TiVo boot CD's boot in byteswapping mode by default. The MFS Tools 2.0 CD can be switched to byteswapping mode with a boot parameter. See the first post of the Fixes thread at the top of the Upgrade Centre.

POST #6 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

kabe is offline Old Post 06-06-2004 08:43 PM
kabe

Latest saga: ran DD copy of old drive, when linux booted I got a failed to read partition table (or similar) message- I assume this is my problem in part. The copy ran through with quite a few I/O errors, and failed at the end running out of space on the new drive (I now find out that the new WD 120gb drive is some 18mb smaller than the failing Samsung 120gb drive). I tried the copied drive anywaybit it failed to boot. Will dd_rescue aso fail for the same out of space reason? in which is myonly course to try and copy partitions from the old disk onto the new disk (having previously restored a clean image? ) ?? Thanks

POST #7 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Robert S is offline Old Post 06-06-2004 08:53 PM
Robert S

The unknown partition table issue is simply byteswapping and normal for that configuration.

If it's only 18Mb, you can steal a bit off the swap partition to make things fit. You can do this easily with MFS Tools:

mfsbackup -Tao - /dev/hdX | mfsrestore -s 105 -pi - /dev/hdY

However, as you've got a lot of bad blocks (or if you're only copying the A drive of a two-drive set), you may not be able to use MFS Tools.

In that case, you've got to boot in byteswapping mode and copy the partitions one by one. You'll build the partition table with pdisk and make the swap partition a little smaller to allow room for all the other partitions.

If you read the first few posts of the Fixes thread at the top of the Upgrade Centre (#1-7), you'll see instructions for the procedures you need, including booting byteswapping and using pdisk.

POST #8 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

kabe is offline Old Post 06-06-2004 09:20 PM
kabe

Just to clarify: I have an old 40gb drive with the original image on it, can I just use the msfbackup (with smaller swap size) command to create a clean copy (which should be fine as the backup image is clean). Then as a second step, boot in byteswappable mode, and then just do successive dd commands for each partition from the old broken disk to the new clean disk (ie without going in to pdisk to rebuild partition table) ??
Am I right in thinking these dd commands would just be:
dd conv=noerror,sync if=/dev/hdx10 of=/dev/hdy10 bs=32k

and repeating for each of the partitions (10 thriygh to whatever)??
Thanks in advance

POST #9 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

mjk is offline Old Post 06-06-2004 11:59 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for mjk Find more posts by mjk Add mjk to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
mjk
Lurker

Having been through the same experience recently, I can recommend dd_rescue and dd_rhelp. (Search for dd_rhelp). They make the recovery much simpler as when they encounter bad bloacks they restart the operation on another part of the disc until they have recovered as much as possible. They suceessfully recoverd all but 10Mb of my 120Gb drive.

POST #10 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Robert S is offline Old Post 06-07-2004 12:19 AM
Robert S

It's not a bad start, but your upgrade partition would be the wrong size. As long as it's bigger than the equivalent partition on the original drive, though, I guess it would be OK.

The dd command is correct. Remember to boot in byteswapping mode for that part - you should see the TiVo partition table printed in the boot sequence.

I don't off-hand know of a configuration that would let to run dd_rescue or dd_rhelp in byteswapping mode.

POST #11 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

kabe is offline Old Post 06-07-2004 02:40 AM
kabe

Well I copied my backup image to the new drive (and expanded) and that booted OK. I then went into MFSTOOLS in byteswapped mode, and used pdrive to give the paritition table for the new disk (13 partitions), but when I tried pdisk for the old (error-prone) drive I got a floating point exception message.. I assume this is because of bad blocks in its partition table ?

When I then try to dd copy the individual partitions (as per earlier command), I get a "0+0 record in/out" message and I believe nothing copies.. Am I missing something ? Any ideas on how to get these copies working?
Many thanks

POST #12 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Robert S is offline Old Post 06-07-2004 04:02 AM
Robert S

Do you see the TiVo partition tables printed in the boot sequence?

dmesg | more

POST #13 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

kabe is offline Old Post 06-08-2004 03:47 AM
kabe

I see the partition table on booting for the new target drive, but for the error-prone source drive (hdd) I get:

hdd:read_intr : status=0x59 {DriveReady SeekComplete DataRequest Error
hdd:read_intr: error=0x40 {uncorrectable error }, LBAsect=0, sector=0
end_request: I/O error, dev 16:40 (hdd), sector 0
unable to read partition table

Any suggestions ?
Thanks again

POST #14 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Robert S is offline Old Post 06-08-2004 04:36 AM
Robert S

That looks pretty terminal.

Can you read any data off that drive at all?

POST #15 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

kabe is offline Old Post 06-08-2004 02:12 PM
kabe

Well when I copy using dd for each of the partitions I get the 0+0 blocks transferred, but if you remember when I tried dd for the whole disk - it appeared to copy (with a fair few error messages) through for ~24 hours before failing with an out of space message on the target drive.. and failed to boot..(the target drive being a few megs less than the source). It did seem to copy the vast majority of the data. Of course the drive may have got worse since..

- does a dd copy of the whole disk write over whats already on the disk ? if thats so is there anyway to avoid the out of space issue ? ((other than a 160gb disk..) eg deleteing something on the source ?
- alternatively is there any point in trying dd_rescue in these circumstances (ie will it suffer from the same out of space problem on the target drive?)
Thanks..

POST #16 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Robert S is offline Old Post 06-15-2004 06:21 PM
Robert S

If you can't read the partition table, then you can't copy just the partitions.

If you can't copy just the partitions, you can't get round the size difference between the drives.

You might try the drive manufacturer's diagnostic to see if you can remap the bad blocks and regain access to the partition table that way.

It looking pretty hopeless, though, sorry.

POST #17 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

kabe is offline Old Post 06-17-2004 02:52 AM
kabe

Hmm... maybe a black mark for samsung drives then..- as far as I could tell from the HUTIL documentation, there isnt any ability in the utility to move bad blocks- all it seems to do is surface scans etc to tell you there is a problem, rather than do anything about it.. unless anyone can enlighten me..

POST #18 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

iankb is offline Old Post 06-17-2004 03:12 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for iankb Find more posts by iankb Add iankb to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
iankb

I think that the remapping of bad blocks is usually automatic and, if it can't do it, it's because there aren't enough spare blocks, or it won't remap the partition table.

For gold text on leather in TiVoWeb, try the redbook, bluebook, greenbook and blackbook themes, now updated with button menus

POST #19 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Robert S is offline Old Post 06-17-2004 04:53 AM
Robert S

I always thought it was automatic, but other opinions have been expressed here.

Whatever, PowerMax (and, I assume HUTIL) will sometimes offer to remap bad blocks, which suggests that remapping is not automatic or (more probably IMO), there's a second reserved area that the diagnostics can access to help salvage a failing drive after the automatic blocks are consumed.

POST #20 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged