TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Main TiVo Forums > DIRECTV Receiver with TiVo
>>> "Channels I receive" <<<

Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Old Post 09-18-2001 02:41 AM
Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jayb282

Post "Channels I receive"

Finally got my DirectTivo up and running. As a computer engineer i'm pretty impressed with this box......

Question: Do i REALLY have to explicitly go through all 500 directTV channels and tell the TiVo which ones I receive and which one's i don't? They receiver already knows which ones it can receive.........

Please tell me there is an easy way to stop it from taping bad movies on channels i don't receive anyway

j

POST #1 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

markl1420 is offline Old Post 09-18-2001 02:46 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for markl1420 Visit markl1420's homepage! Find more posts by markl1420 Add markl1420 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
markl1420

Nope you have to go and tell TiVo the channels.

POST #2 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

gtrogue is offline Old Post 09-18-2001 02:46 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for gtrogue Find more posts by gtrogue Add gtrogue to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
gtrogue
Enormous Member

Sorry, but thats what you have to do. It may take a couple of days, but you only have to do it once. You can turn off suggestions until you finish if you do not want stuff on channels you don't receive to record.

------------------
<FONT face="Arial">Philips DSR6000</FONT f> <FONT face="Comic Sans MS">Direc<FONT COLOR="red">T</FONT c><FONT COLOR="green">i</FONT c><FONT COLOR="orange">V</FONT c><FONT COLOR="blue">o</FONT c></FONT f>
<FONT face="arial">Hughes GXCEB0T</FONT f> <FONT face="Comic Sans MS">Direc<FONT COLOR="red">T</FONT c><FONT COLOR="green">i</FONT c><FONT COLOR="orange">V</FONT c><FONT COLOR="blue">o</FONT c></FONT f>
<FONT face="arial">Philips HDR112 14 Hour</FONT f> <u>POT</u>- <u>P</u>lain <u>O</u>ld <u><FONT face="Comic Sans MS"><FONT COLOR="red">T</u></FONT c><FONT COLOR="green">i</FONT c><FONT COLOR="orange">V</FONT c><FONT COLOR="blue">o</FONT c></FONT f>

POST #3 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Tiger is offline Old Post 09-18-2001 03:07 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Tiger Find more posts by Tiger Add Tiger to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Tiger
TMNBT Special Forces

quote:
Originally posted by jayb282:
Finally got my DirectTivo up and running. As a computer engineer i'm pretty impressed with this box......

Question: Do i REALLY have to explicitly go through all 500 directTV channels and tell the TiVo which ones I receive and which one's i don't? They receiver already knows which ones it can receive.........
j

Actually technically, it doesn't know. The way it checks if you recieve a channel is through cryptographic means. There is something on your access card called a "zero knowledge table" - as the name implies, it doesn't really know anything. But when a special signature broadcast on the channel with the data is checked against this table, it gets a yes or no answer as to weather or not you get the channel. So literally the only way to know if you recieve a channel is to tune in to it and see if it gets a picture/audio.

------------------
TMNBT Special Forces
Are we not men? We are TiVo!

POST #4 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 09-18-2001 03:58 AM
jayb282

&gt;&gt;So literally the only way to know if you recieve a
&gt;&gt;channel is to tune in to it and see if it gets a
&gt;&gt;picture/audio.

That would be sufficient. They should need an 'acquire channels' mode where it takes a couple of minutes and walks thru all the channels to determine if it's available or not. It may not be 100% perfect, but it would be a huge improvement. Having to deal with 500+ channels by hand is........ silly.

My 5 year old RCA TV is smart enough to autoprogram itself in this way.

I'm putting together a requests/suggestions list for TIVO and this will be right at the top......

POST #5 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 09-18-2001 04:00 AM
jayb282

&gt;&gt;So literally the only way to know if you recieve a
&gt;&gt;channel is to tune in to it and see if it gets a
&gt;&gt;picture/audio.

That would be sufficient. They should need an 'acquire channels' mode where it takes a couple of minutes and walks thru all the channels to determine if it's available or not. It may not be 100% perfect, but it would be a huge improvement. Having to deal with 500+ channels by hand is........ silly.

My 5 year old RCA TV is smart enough to autoprogram itself in this way.

I'm putting together a requests/suggestions list for TIVO and this will be right at the top......

POST #6 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

ToddHealy is offline Old Post 09-18-2001 06:50 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for ToddHealy Find more posts by ToddHealy Add ToddHealy to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ToddHealy

It would be nice if TiVo could figure it out but at least it's only a one time event. It also gives you a chance to hide the channels you dislike.

------------------
Philips 109 hour SA
2 Philips 35 hour DirecTiVos

POST #7 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Joey303 is offline Old Post 09-19-2001 05:13 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Joey303 Find more posts by Joey303 Add Joey303 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Joey303
Yep, I am!

A one-time event? Really? Mine has reset the Channels I Receive list more than once since I installed the DirecTiVo. Called about this this weekend and got the You-Need-To-Call-DirecTV...No, You-Need-To-Call-TiVo runaround for about an hour or so. Too bad, really, because this was the last straw for my other half. Without dual tuners yet, our music keeps getting interrupted by TiVo changing channels to record shows. Had to pull the plug just to keep the peace. Now, it's just me & my Standalone.

------------------
-- Joe in Denver
<FONT size="1">9.125 hr. Philips S/A (v2.01) using AT&T Digital Cable -- Don't even get me started!
and35 hr. Philips DirecTivo</FONT s>

POST #8 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

erivers is offline Old Post 09-19-2001 06:02 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for erivers Find more posts by erivers Add erivers to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
erivers
Clementine

Please tell me there is an easy way to stop it from taping bad movies on channels i don't receive anyway

Without dual tuners yet, our music keeps getting interrupted by TiVo changing channels to record shows. Had to pull the plug just to keep the peace. Now, it's just me & my Standalone.

Tivo Central ==&gt; Messages and Setup ==&gt; My Preferences ==&gt; Tivo's Suggestions ==&gt; No, don't record Tivo's suggestions.

no problem, man.

------------------
I feel more like I do right now than I have all day.

POST #9 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

L is offline Old Post 09-19-2001 06:20 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for L Find more posts by L Add L to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
L

Wink

While we're ranting, let's not forget that the "Channels You Receive" list gets various DirecTV sports and nonsense channels added on a regular basis, no matter what you do.

Perhaps the list should be called "Random Subset of DirecTV Channels" or "Channels We Want You to Receive."

POST #10 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 09-19-2001 08:03 AM
jim2

j

I just got my DirecTivo last Friday and had the same response when I realized I had to check all the channels I receive ... then I learned it used this list to record suggestions and there are some channels I receive but don't care about. So I decided to NOT put in all the channels I receive, just the ones of interest. I then setup favorites to be a further subset of most frequent channels.

Those with more Tivo experience....does this sound correct?

(Although it would have been nice if it scanned and set all channels received and then I un-checked the ones I didn't want it to use for recording suggestions).

------------------
Jim

<FONT COLOR="blue">Philips DSR6000 126 Hrs</FONT c>
2 RCA DirectTVs

POST #11 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Maniacal1 is offline Old Post 09-19-2001 09:02 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Maniacal1 Find more posts by Maniacal1 Add Maniacal1 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Maniacal1

Jim, you're absolutely correct. I've removed some channels I actually receive from the list because I didn't want suggestions from those channels (in my case, primarily children's programming, but YMMV). I'm glad that TiVo has given us that measure of control.

POST #12 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged