TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
>>> When will HMO be included with all standalones? <<<

Pages (2): [1] 2 Next »  
Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
MediaLivingRoom is offline Old Post 06-08-2004 08:30 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for MediaLivingRoom Visit MediaLivingRoom's homepage! Find more posts by MediaLivingRoom Add MediaLivingRoom to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MediaLivingRoom
Special Ed Student

Question When will HMO be included with all standalones?

I think they should include HMO. When will HMO be included with all standalones?

POST #1 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

bsnelson is offline Old Post 06-08-2004 09:09 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for bsnelson Visit bsnelson's homepage! Find more posts by bsnelson Add bsnelson to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bsnelson
TiVo Forum Special Member

Do you mean "at no extra cost"?

Brad

(1) Samsung SIR4040R (35 hours)

POST #2 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

jay_winter is offline Old Post 06-08-2004 09:20 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for jay_winter Find more posts by jay_winter Add jay_winter to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jay_winter
2Series2

Unhappy

Yeah... you know: just like like ReplayTV does.

Other ReplayTV networking features that TiVo oughta have:

* Real-time (i.e. RELIABLE) streaming from room-to-room.
* Automatic conflict resolution to available networked DVR.

Every time I see a Replay ad, I feel sorry that I've already invested in two of these obsolete (Series2 TiVo) machines.

POST #3 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

MediaLivingRoom is offline Old Post 06-09-2004 04:01 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for MediaLivingRoom Visit MediaLivingRoom's homepage! Find more posts by MediaLivingRoom Add MediaLivingRoom to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MediaLivingRoom
Special Ed Student

quote:
Originally posted by jay_winter

Every time I see a Replay ad, I feel sorry that I've already invested in two of these obsolete (Series2 TiVo) machines.

I would love to have this:

POST #4 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

bedelman is offline Old Post 06-09-2004 04:36 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for bedelman Visit bedelman's homepage! Find more posts by bedelman Add bedelman to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bedelman
Call me Bob

quote:
Originally posted by MediaLivingRoom
I would love to have this:

Cooperative scheduling has been discussed for over a year now. I raised a question about it when there was a introductory HMO "event" which had several TiVo folks online and "live". Perhaps Replay has a patent on this?

1 Pioneer DVR-810H
2 TiVo Series 2 80 hour (one living with son in college)
1 TiVo Series 2 140 hour
1 Humax DRT-800 DVD Recorder with TiVo
1 Sony SVR-2000 (living with other son in Michigan)

POST #5 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Kracko is offline Old Post 06-09-2004 07:04 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Kracko Find more posts by Kracko Add Kracko to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Kracko

quote:
Originally posted by jay_winter

Agree with the second item but as to the first, I pretty much have that now with my wired network. It takes about 30 seconds - 1 minute for it to start but I stream from one TiVo to the other very reliably.

Running JavaHMO 1.2

POST #6 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Crrink is offline Old Post 06-09-2004 07:13 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Crrink Find more posts by Crrink Add Crrink to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Crrink

The difference is that with RTV you can skip directly to the middle of the program you're watching instantaneously.
With TiVo you have to wait for the middle to be copied over before you can skip to it.

I rarely watch shows this way, so with my network wired, the normal transfer is usually good enough, but the RTV way is still superior.

POST #7 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Kracko is offline Old Post 06-09-2004 07:22 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Kracko Find more posts by Kracko Add Kracko to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Kracko

quote:
Originally posted by Crrink
The difference is that with RTV you can skip directly to the middle of the program you're watching instantaneously.
With TiVo you have to wait for the middle to be copied over before you can skip to it.

I rarely watch shows this way, so with my network wired, the normal transfer is usually good enough, but the RTV way is still superior.

Yes but with TiVo's ability to start watching it from the paused point, I'm not sure why you'd want to skip to the middle of a program?

Running JavaHMO 1.2

POST #8 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

morac is offline Old Post 06-09-2004 09:06 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for morac Find more posts by morac Add morac to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
morac
Advanced Member

The main reason I could think of is that if you've already watched half a program on one TiVo and just want to watch the 2nd half on another TiVo you have to wait for the first half to be transferred first.

POST #9 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

kitsap is offline Old Post 06-09-2004 10:07 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for kitsap Find more posts by kitsap Add kitsap to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
kitsap

That's not how it works. You can start the transfer in the middle of the program and begin watching right away. There's no need to transfer the part you've already watched.

POST #10 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Kracko is offline Old Post 06-09-2004 10:39 AM
Kracko

Yeah. What kitsap said.

Running JavaHMO 1.2

POST #11 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

c3 is offline Old Post 06-09-2004 12:31 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for c3 Find more posts by c3 Add c3 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
c3
TiVoholic

Re: When will HMO be included with all standalones?

quote:
Originally posted by MediaLivingRoom
I think they should include HMO. When will HMO be included with all standalones?

How about now? It's supposed to be announced on 6/9.

POST #12 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Crrink is offline Old Post 06-09-2004 07:20 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Crrink Find more posts by Crrink Add Crrink to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Crrink

quote:
Originally posted by kitsap
That's not how it works. You can start the transfer in the middle of the program and begin watching right away. There's no need to transfer the part you've already watched.

Well, you guys seem to understand the difference between the way TiVo copies shows and RTV's true random access. An example of when this would be useful from real life:
I have the Rick James episode of Chapelle's Show saved on my TiVo in the bedroom. A buddy was over who hadn't seen it and I wanted to show it to him in the living room. That particular skit starts in the middle of the show, so we had to wait for that part to be copied over before we could watch it. With RTV I could've gone directly to that point and began watching immediately.

Another time this would be useful is when using MRV on a show recorded at Best Quality. I don't think anyone is getting transfers too much better than real time at Best, so if you want to watch a show that way, you have to give it 10 or 15 minutes lead time the way you do with live TV if you want to skip commercials.
With RTV, you begin watching immediately and skip commercials on the fly - you know, the way it SHOULD be!

POST #13 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

jay_winter is offline Old Post 06-09-2004 09:38 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for jay_winter Find more posts by jay_winter Add jay_winter to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jay_winter
2Series2

Talking

Yah- Hoo! My machines just became less obsolete overnight!

I think maybe TiVo finally has it's ship pointed in the right direction... with Movies-on-demand and downloadable music from the Internet not far off.

It's gonna be an interesting year!

POST #14 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

celestprof is offline Old Post 06-10-2004 01:35 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for celestprof Find more posts by celestprof Add celestprof to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
celestprof

So, those of us who paid for HMO wasted a whole bunch of money?

POST #15 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

bsnelson is offline Old Post 06-10-2004 02:50 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for bsnelson Visit bsnelson's homepage! Find more posts by bsnelson Add bsnelson to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bsnelson

quote:
Originally posted by celestprof
So, those of us who paid for HMO wasted a whole bunch of money?
You and the other "payers" had exclusive use of HMO for a period of time. Doesn't sound like a waste to me.

Brad

(1) Samsung SIR4040R (35 hours)

POST #16 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

kurth is offline Old Post 06-10-2004 06:48 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for kurth Find more posts by kurth Add kurth to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
kurth

Question

Well I did pay for one of two series2 TiVo's with life time subscriptions to have home media option. That one continues to have music&pictures and multiroom enabled. The 2nd one now has music&pictures enabled but not multiroom. So it could be that the "free" service is not the complete service.

POST #17 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Dr.Funk is offline Old Post 06-10-2004 07:02 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Dr.Funk Find more posts by Dr.Funk Add Dr.Funk to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dr.Funk

quote:
Originally posted by bsnelson
You and the other "payers" had exclusive use of HMO for a period of time. Doesn't sound like a waste to me.

Brad

Most of us, had we known that we weren't paying for "lifetime use of HMO", and were paying for "exclusive use of HMO for a period of time" wouldn't have paid for it. In my case, I paid about $15 a month for the "exclusive use" of it for 6 months before it became free. Which really isn't worth it to me.

POST #18 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

funkyjunkman is offline Old Post 06-10-2004 07:02 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for funkyjunkman Find more posts by funkyjunkman Add funkyjunkman to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
funkyjunkman

I payed $20 a month for the privilege for using the HMO option for 3 months. I know there are no guarantees that when you buy your latest fancy computer that a better one won't be released in a week, but this change in policy really burns me up. Primarily because if Tivo continues this practice I will now have to pay extra for "exclusive use of streaming playback for a period of time" when it is released. I will wait as long as I can, buy the service at a discount, then Tivo will make it a free perk 3 months after I ante up.

Besides, HMO still crashes my Tivo about once a month so I feel that people had the privilege of paying to beta test their newest software before it was released for free.

POST #19 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

dishman is offline Old Post 06-10-2004 11:24 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for dishman Find more posts by dishman Add dishman to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dishman

quote:
Originally posted by kurth
Well I did pay for one of two series2 TiVo's with life time subscriptions to have home media option. That one continues to have music&pictures and multiroom enabled. The 2nd one now has music&pictures enabled but not multiroom. So it could be that the "free" service is not the complete service.

Did you activate MultiRoom Viewing for that unit on the TiVo site? When HMO was a purchased option MRV had to be activated for each unit after
purchasing. I forgot once, and couldn't figure out why it wasn't working.

POST #20 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged