TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Main TiVo Forums > HDTV TiVo Powered PVRs
>>> DirecTv Sold Stake in TiVo <<<

Pages (6): « Prev 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 Next »  
Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Scopeman is offline Old Post 06-10-2004 03:56 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Scopeman Visit Scopeman's homepage! Find more posts by Scopeman Add Scopeman to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Scopeman
SDTivo, HDTivo

quote:
Originally posted by bonscott87
You guys still don't understand. DirecTV is *NOT* splitting with Tivo. They are simply selling their shares in the Tivo company just as they have been selling stock like crazy in every other company they are invested in. They want to have cash on hand and want to concentrate fully on the TV business and not be invested in any company that deals with hardware. It's really that simple folks.

No, there is more to it than that. Today's press conference on the new Tivo features and pricing changes included some discussion of the relationship and many of the follow up news articles quoted Tivos exec as being disappointed with DTV's failure to adopt new services (ie HMO).

A break up is unlikely, but an alternate DVR is inevitable. From DTV's perspective it makes perfect sense to do this - it is a classic b-school build-or-buy problem. If they have access to other technology (NDS?) they should be bringing an alternate product through development even if they never use it due to the leverage it gives them over Tivo in discussions.

And competition breeds innovation.

POST #61 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

GoodSpike is offline Old Post 06-10-2004 06:04 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for GoodSpike Find more posts by GoodSpike Add GoodSpike to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
GoodSpike
TiVo Forum Special Member

quote:
Originally posted by GoodSpike
I believe that Comcast already has the HD DVRs out, but not in all areas (not hear in Seattle yet). It's a Motorola box. If it's anything like the Motorola HD box they gave me, it's a POS (Can't deal with DVI-HDCP correctly, takes about a half hour to boot sometimes, etc.)

Just to follow up on this, today again I had to turn the box on and off three times to get it to show a picture, and then when it did it had the HDCP error message. If I wasn't only paying $9 a month for this service I'd cancel it.

DirecTV cannot risk losing customers by providing inferior product, and they risk that switching from Tivo.

POST #62 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

hipreck is offline Old Post 06-10-2004 06:32 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for hipreck Find more posts by hipreck Add hipreck to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
hipreck

Not sure if anyone read the Variety article on Tivo/Direct yesterday. Variety says that News Corp will be releasing a NDS built DVR and that Tivo will remain as a "premium" offering. Sorry, I cannot find a free link for the article.

An analyst also discussed something similar in this article.

http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/merc.../8879952.htm?1c

Tivo also announced that they were lowering prices and service costs for their stand alone units.

To me this is a read between the lines. There is no doubt that the Tivo relationship with Direct is in trouble. Keeping Tivo as a premium service is fine, but will they do enough business to stay afloat?

I'm guessing that Direct will offer a low-cost DVR that has free monthly service (but still the $5 month receiver fee) or a fee with the DVR being free.

This is really making me think twice about my HD Tivo order...

POST #63 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

aaronwt is offline Old Post 06-10-2004 06:36 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for aaronwt Visit aaronwt's homepage! Find more posts by aaronwt Add aaronwt to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
aaronwt
Advanced Member

I already don't have to pay a TiVo fee since I have the TOTAL CHOICE® PREMIER service. I'm definnitely going to get a second HR10-250 toward the end of Summer.

POST #64 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

dwynne is offline Old Post 06-10-2004 07:36 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for dwynne Find more posts by dwynne Add dwynne to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dwynne

This was posted over on the AVSforum, and is news to me. Note that this mentioned they will build PVRs as well.

Thomson and DIRECTV Sign Long-Term Agreement On May 12, Thomson and DIRECTV signed a long-term supply agreement for the development and supply of digital satellite set-top boxes. Based on the contract terms, Thomson is expected to double its current annual revenues with DIRECTV and provide at least one half of DIRECTV’s satellite decoders over a five-year period. As part of the transaction, Thomson will also acquire Hughes Network Systems’ set-top box manufacturing assets. This agreement strengthens Thomson’s strategic relationship with News Corp. Ghislain Lescuyer, Executive Vice President of the Broadband Access Products SBU, reviews this major achievement for the Group.

Can you present the main characteristics of the agreement signed by Thomson and DIRECTV?

Thomson and the DIRECTV Group, Inc., the parent company of Hughes Network Systems, Inc. (HNS), announced on May 12 a definitive agreement for the long-term development and supply of digital satellite set-top boxes (or decoders). This agreement has three parts:
- Thomson will supply set-top boxes;
- Thomson will develop new products;
- Thomson is acquiring the set-top box manufa-cturing assets of Hughes Network Systems, a subsidiary of DIRECTV.

This supply and development agreement between Thomson and DIRECTV is strategic, because it replaces the pre-existing agreements between both companies, and, moreover, it positions Thomson as the key supplier to DIRECTV.

• What are the assets acquired by Thomson and how will they be integrated into the Broadband Access Products activity?

Thomson is acquiring HNS’ set-top box manufacturing assets, which comprise a plant in Tijuana, Mexico, and San Diego, California, as well as the right to hire key R&D employees in the Germantown, Maryland facility. In total, this division employs about 1200 employees.

These resources and assets only serve the American market; thus, this acquisition is not impacting Thomson’s European activities.

• To what extent is the agreement signed with DIRECTV important for Thomson?

This is a key agreement, first because the amounts are huge: Thomson expects to more than double its current annual revenues with DIRECTV. This represents a volume of 4 to 6 billion dollars of sales within the next five years, that is to say an average amount of $800 million per year. DIRECTV will become one of the Group’s major customers, and Thomson will be the lead supplier of DIRECTV System set-top receivers, accounting for half of its needs.

This agreement is also important to Thomson as it will serve as a strategic platform to develop new products, which are more “intelligent” (with more functions, like High Definition or Personal Video Recorder, which enables the recording of video content on a hard disk drive), more “mobile” (wi-fi etc.) and more “connected” (home networking).

Last, this agreement is key because of the synergies it will create with the other subsidiaries of News Corp (including in India, Latin America, Australia, etc.), which is one of the most important media groups in the world.

What is the cost of this operation for Thomson? We h
ave decided to invest $250 million to acquire the assets and win this long-term agreement. This is a common practice for this type of contract, and the recurrent revenues linked to this agreement will provide us with a positive margin: that is why this agreement is so important as it secures Thomson’s global leadership in set-top box development and manufacturing.

• What are the objectives of our Broadband Access Products activity for 2004-2007?

The Broadband Access Products (BAP) activity, part of the Video Networks Solutions Division, provides digital equipment and services for broadcast television, cable and other network operators. Through this activity, Thomson is one of the world’s leading suppliers of digital cable, satellite and digital terrestrial set top boxes, as well as DSL modems and IP Video set top boxes (enabling the broadcast video content over DSL networks). For the BAP activity, the objective is to double revenues over 2004-2007. To achieve this objective, we need to increase our market share with our existing customer base; to penetrate new, emerging markets such as China and India; to help operators extend their network reach through new technologies (DSL networks, Wi-Fi…); and to develop new solutions (especially for image and video processing, storage, security, connectivity…) and innovative business models for our clients.
• How is this deal contributing to Thomson’s strategy?

Today, the main mission for our Video Networks Solutions division is to sell our broadcast and access equipment and services, while reinforcing their value added by integrating them into an end-to-end solution; this mission also consists of selling value-added services as well as robust and innovative technology developments. When we ship decoders to our customers, we are not just providing a box, but a system architecture experience and end-to-end solutions, helping the customers provide solutions to their own customers.

The agreement signed between Thomson and DIRECTV enables Thomson to capitalize on its technologic leadership in various areas such as security, video compression, digital rights management and home networking, including mobile and wireless applications.
In addition, this agreement is another example of the strategic relationship that we formed with News Corp. last year. We will continue to develop further opportunities with News Corp in both our Broadcast and Technicolor businesses.

In the same way, we believe this new supply agreement is a springboard to further develop Thomson’s activities in key strategic geographic areas, especially in Asia, Latin America and Australia.

POST #65 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

drjenk is offline Old Post 06-10-2004 10:43 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for drjenk Find more posts by drjenk Add drjenk to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
drjenk

idunno

Check this out:
http://www.nytimes.com/2004/06/09/t...&partner=GOOGLE

Personally, I've been really debating going with comcast based on the $400 dish buyback program. They have a HD PVR (though only 125mb) coming out from Motorola "in the fall", and I would save about $30 a month on my combined cable internet and TV bill. I was thinking of waiting for a price drop on the HR10-250 also, but I think this news seals my decision. I have just been having trouble giving up my SD directivo for a few months, which I would have to do if I got the offer right away, so I'll probably wait. According to comcast, the $400 buyback is an "ongoing" offer.

POST #66 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

aaronwt is offline Old Post 06-10-2004 06:01 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for aaronwt Visit aaronwt's homepage! Find more posts by aaronwt Add aaronwt to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
aaronwt
Advanced Member

Just don't expect it to work anything like the TiVo does. The cable DVR boxes I have seen don't come close to TiVo functionality. It's better than using something likemy HiPix card, but after using a TiVo, it would be hard for me to use one on a regular basis. It would be very frustrating.

POST #67 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Ted101 is offline Old Post 06-10-2004 09:53 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Ted101 Find more posts by Ted101 Add Ted101 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ted101

Is it possible that a set top box changeout would also include going from MPEG-2 encoding to MPEG-4 encoding? This could free up a lot of bandwidth for new SD and HD programming. That would offset the cost of a changeout very quickly.

POST #68 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

dwynne is offline Old Post 06-10-2004 10:07 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for dwynne Find more posts by dwynne Add dwynne to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dwynne

Another challenge to Tivo - TV sets.

I was reading about the new "2005" Mitsubishi RP HDTV sets (I have a "2004" model) and noticed that several of them have an included hard drive and a guide system. So you can buy an HDTV (w/HD tuner) and get a PVR included in the TV.

Dennis

POST #69 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

GoodSpike is offline Old Post 06-10-2004 10:21 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for GoodSpike Find more posts by GoodSpike Add GoodSpike to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
GoodSpike

quote:
Originally posted by dwynne
I was reading about the new "2005" Mitsubishi RP HDTV sets (I have a "2004" model) and noticed that several of them have an included hard drive and a guide system. So you can buy an HDTV (w/HD tuner) and get a PVR included in the TV.

Dennis

I can't imagine buying such a thing. Having a cheap TV integrated with a cheap VHS isn't something I would do for fear one would break making the other useless.

Having two expensive items integrated would be more of a risk, not to mention it would seemingly have limitations right off the bat (is the HD tuner OTA, QAM, Satellite?)

POST #70 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

fredfa is offline Old Post 06-10-2004 10:47 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for fredfa Find more posts by fredfa Add fredfa to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
fredfa

re GoodSpike:
"..I can't imagine buying such a thing."

Man, your imagination is pretty low voltage.
It was just a few days ago you were saying you couldn't imagine DirecTV having anyone but TiVo make DVRs for them.
It's see if some kind of energy drink might boost that tired ol' GoodSpike imagination.
I can only envision you talking to the Wright Brothers before they flew at Kitty Hawk or Dr. Jonas Salk before his polio vaccine or Gen Eisenhower before launching the troops on D-Day.

The fact is, it is obvious that in the near future we all will be buying HDTVs that include DVRs (hopefully TiVo units) and DVD players and who knows what else.
Get used to it.
And give that imagination some (much-needed) exercise.

POST #71 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

jones07 is offline Old Post 06-10-2004 10:53 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for jones07 Visit jones07's homepage! Find more posts by jones07 Add jones07 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jones07

RePlayTV tried the Old integrated DVR into a 27" TV trick.
It was a Bust

But maybe people are ready for the integrated components TV's now.

Personally I like my HT components separate.........But that's just me

POST #72 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

GoodSpike is offline Old Post 06-10-2004 10:57 PM
GoodSpike

quote:
Originally posted by fredfa
re GoodSpike:
"..I can't imagine buying such a thing."

I'm talking about myself (as should have been apparent from the sentence following that you didn't quote). No way would I ever buy such a thing.

Other people buy crap I wouldn't consider buying. I didn't mean to imply no one would buy such an item. I assume they have some market research indicating people are afraid of wires and would buy such an item.

POST #73 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

bonscott87 is offline Old Post 06-10-2004 10:57 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for bonscott87 Find more posts by bonscott87 Add bonscott87 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bonscott87
Lets go Red Wings!

quote:
Originally posted by Ted101
Is it possible that a set top box changeout would also include going from MPEG-2 encoding to MPEG-4 encoding? This could free up a lot of bandwidth for new SD and HD programming. That would offset the cost of a changeout very quickly.

Definately. It would be one of the major reasons to do it.

Hughes E86 HD STB
MX-500 remote and 43" Hitachi widescreen HDTV
Vonage phone service, no landline!

POST #74 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

GoodSpike is offline Old Post 06-10-2004 11:01 PM
GoodSpike

quote:
Originally posted by jones07
But maybe people are ready for the integrated components TV's now.

Many people are incapable of hooking up a computer or strereo. My TV is a bit more complicated than either of those. If my father owned it, I don't think he would even begin to attempt to do anything more than hook a coax antenna cable to it. If a salesperson told him about the different connections on the back, he probably wouldn't buy it.

POST #75 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

bonscott87 is offline Old Post 06-10-2004 11:16 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for bonscott87 Find more posts by bonscott87 Add bonscott87 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bonscott87
Lets go Red Wings!

Tivo and DirecTV Relationship Secure: http://sg.biz.yahoo.com/040609/15/3kxkz.html

And as many of us have been trying to say:
"DirecTV is planning on rolling out some new set-top boxes later this year. The boxes, made by Thomson (TMS), will incorporate TiVo technology."

Hughes E86 HD STB
MX-500 remote and 43" Hitachi widescreen HDTV
Vonage phone service, no landline!

POST #76 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

dwynne is offline Old Post 06-10-2004 11:34 PM
dwynne

quote:
Originally posted by GoodSpike
I can't imagine buying such a thing. Having a cheap TV integrated with a cheap VHS isn't something I would do for fear one would break making the other useless.

Having two expensive items integrated would be more of a risk, not to mention it would seemingly have limitations right off the bat (is the HD tuner OTA, QAM, Satellite?)

If they put this technology in their cheaper sets - just having the "instant replay" and pause built in will sell a lot of TV sets, I would think. I wouln't buy one just to get that bundled in (unless it was no extra cost), but that is me. Folks here in the community tend to be much ahead of the curve on stuff, so I would not expect this to be the target audience (we already all have Tivos anyway).

The tuner is OTA and should be QAM as they tout the fact that it has a "cable card slot".

Dennis

POST #77 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

kkern is offline Old Post 06-11-2004 01:30 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for kkern Find more posts by kkern Add kkern to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
kkern

quote:
Originally posted by bonscott87
Tivo and DirecTV Relationship Secure: http://sg.biz.yahoo.com/040609/15/3kxkz.html

And as many of us have been trying to say:
"DirecTV is planning on rolling out some new set-top boxes later this year. The boxes, made by Thomson (TMS), will incorporate TiVo technology."

Here is another feature that DirecTivo's won't have

"This fall, the company will also launch a product that will let users transfer a movie from TiVo to a PC or DVD burner".

POST #78 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Rombaldi is offline Old Post 06-11-2004 03:18 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Rombaldi Find more posts by Rombaldi Add Rombaldi to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rombaldi
MPEG Packet Picker

"Tivo technology" does not equal "TiVo"

if it does, a show of hands.. how may of you have on your unhacked DirecTV DVR's (with TiVo technology) have ...

- folders
- ethernet connection for daily calls
- HMO available

thank you. Now you see the difference. When you get down to it, 'TiVo Technology" that sets it aside from the others is the 'Season Pass'. That's about it.

POST #79 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

DLiquid is offline Old Post 06-11-2004 03:53 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for DLiquid Visit DLiquid's homepage! Find more posts by DLiquid Add DLiquid to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DLiquid

quote:
Originally posted by Rombaldi
Now you see the difference. When you get down to it, 'TiVo Technology" that sets it aside from the others is the 'Season Pass'. That's about it.
The season pass is a huge feature. And you're forgetting wishlists and suggestions. Without all of these things, what you have is a digital VCR. My DirecTV DVRs (with TiVo technology) are far more than digital VCRs.

POST #80 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged