TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
>>> HMO and Mac OS X - process name for Rendezvous <<<

Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
ralphpe is offline Old Post 06-11-2004 06:19 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for ralphpe Find more posts by ralphpe Add ralphpe to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ralphpe

HMO and Mac OS X - process name for Rendezvous

What process is used to share music from iTunes to my TiVo? While I was trying to get a second Mac (G4 iMac, OS X 10.3) to connect to the TiVo through Airport/HMO, I looked for the process that does the job on the first Mac (G5, OS X 10.3).
Assuming that the files accessed would be in my iTunes folder, I started to play musiic from my iTunes folder on the TiVo and did lsof | grep iTunes in the Terminal. Files that are shared with other computers via Rendezvous (even Windows) show up as a DAAP process, but this time I didn't find anything. So, does anybody knoow what process is in charge of the connection between a Mac and a HMO-enabled TiVo?
In addition, is there any known issue about connecting from TiVo to a second Mac? Sharing works between our other Macs, but the iMac doesn't show up on the TiVo (Well, might be a problem with TiVo Desktop - any suggestions what might be likely culprits?)

Thanks for any help or suggestion - Ralph

POST #1 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Stuckeyboss is offline Old Post 06-11-2004 07:21 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Stuckeyboss Find more posts by Stuckeyboss Add Stuckeyboss to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Stuckeyboss

Hi Ralph,

The TiVo HMO runs as a generic 'Java' process.

If I am reading your post correctly, it sounds like you are launching iTunes on the Mac and trying to share with the TiVo. Unfortunately, it will not work quite that way. You have to install the TiVo Desktop Software for the Mac, or JavaHMO, in order for the TiVo to pick up on your music library and photos. The nice thing is - you don't have to have iTunes open to share the music

Hope that helps,

POST #2 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Dennis Wilkinson is offline Old Post 06-11-2004 08:22 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis Wilkinson Visit Dennis Wilkinson's homepage! Find more posts by Dennis Wilkinson Add Dennis Wilkinson to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dennis Wilkinson
Advanced Member

You've obviously got TiVo Desktop installed on the Mac that you can see from your TiVo -- are you sure you've got it installed and configured on the iMac as well?

As to why you don't see the process using 'lsof | grep iTunes' is that on most networks, all of the data for a given MP3 file can be transferred to the TiVo in a very short span of time (on the order of several seconds), so the file isn't held open all that long.

POST #3 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

ralphpe is offline Old Post 06-11-2004 09:55 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for ralphpe Find more posts by ralphpe Add ralphpe to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ralphpe

Thanks for your suggestions. I DID install the TiVo desktop on the iMac, but that certainly doesn't rul out that I didn't make some bone hhead mistake somewhere further down the road. I appreciate the information about the transfer mode for mp3 files - with iTunes sharing the connection is maintained while the file is played on the other computer; I didn't think that the files were actually transferred to the TiVo.

POST #4 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

TiVoBill is offline Old Post 06-11-2004 11:01 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for TiVoBill Visit TiVoBill's homepage! Find more posts by TiVoBill Add TiVoBill to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
TiVoBill
Advanced Member

You might want to make sure that TiVo Desktop is installed and turned on on both of your Macs as well as making sure that Mac firewall is configured to allow TiVo Server to broadcast. There are more tips on our support site:

http://customersupport.tivo.com/tiv...blic/tv1158.htm

POST #5 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

ralphpe is offline Old Post 06-12-2004 07:01 AM
ralphpe

Thanks!

I went back and checked the firewall settings on the iMac. And indeed, the port for the TiVo desktop was not open. I had thought that the iTunes (port 3689)and iPhoto (port 8770) sharing options would also cover TiVo HMO, but that's ports 2190, 5353 and 8101, all the way at the bottom of the window. I changed that, and now everything is fine. Thanks for all the advice and information!

POST #6 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

bedelman is offline Old Post 06-12-2004 08:49 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for bedelman Visit bedelman's homepage! Find more posts by bedelman Add bedelman to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bedelman
Call me Bob

TiVo Desktop on Mac OSX works with iTunes and iPhoto but it doesn't require them to be running at all.

iTunes and iPhoto are used to manage the content -- set up playlists, albums, etc.

It actually works quite well.

IMHO - part of the reason why there's not nearly as much interest in JavaHMO for Mac OSX as there is in the Windows version.

1 Pioneer DVR-810H
2 TiVo Series 2 80 hour (one living with son in college)
1 TiVo Series 2 140 hour
1 Humax DRT-800 DVD Recorder with TiVo
1 Sony SVR-2000 (living with other son in Michigan)

POST #7 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged