TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Main TiVo Forums > HDTV TiVo Powered PVRs
>>> $1500 and climbing on eBay <<<

Pages (4): [1] 2 3 4 Next »  
Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
mgoddard11 is offline Old Post 06-12-2004 02:30 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for mgoddard11 Find more posts by mgoddard11 Add mgoddard11 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
mgoddard11

$1500 and climbing on eBay

Not sure if you guys have seen this but hd tivos are going for a HUGE premium on eBay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...5703978277&rd=1

Should have ordered an extra one from CC last week when I had a chance.

POST #1 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

trausch is offline Old Post 06-12-2004 02:37 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for trausch Find more posts by trausch Add trausch to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
trausch

Well this is America. However, I consider TIVO a basic necessity of life and therefore I could construe this as price gouging.

POST #2 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

andreo is offline Old Post 06-12-2004 03:02 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for andreo Find more posts by andreo Add andreo to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
andreo

Strange, I thought that units were starting to show up in stores. And looking at complete items for the HR10-250 shows that it wasn't a big seller, not counting the one that sold for 2,500.00 on the 10th.
Oh, well, good luck to both the buyer and seller. I guess Ebay is about due for some insanity buying. I think the last time it happened was with the PS2, it's a shame I only had 2 of them to sell.

POST #3 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Rcrew is offline Old Post 06-12-2004 03:07 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Rcrew Find more posts by Rcrew Add Rcrew to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rcrew
TiVo Domo

quote:
Originally posted by andreo
Strange, I thought that units were starting to show up in stores.

Perhaps, but TiVo couldn't even muster a single one to give away at the TC Con... Pony said they are just too rare right now...

POST #4 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

ratfacejt is offline Old Post 06-12-2004 03:44 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for ratfacejt Find more posts by ratfacejt Add ratfacejt to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ratfacejt

Too bad the buyer has zero feedback. Watch the item be relisted in a few days.

POST #5 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

bpdp379 is offline Old Post 06-12-2004 04:06 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for bpdp379 Find more posts by bpdp379 Add bpdp379 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bpdp379
A trp, 1/17 CAV

Look at the amazing profit he will make on shipping and handling! It is still packaged as he received it, and Fedex will send that thing nationwide for under $12... Gotta love hidden fees!

War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.

John Stuart Mill

POST #6 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

dwynne is offline Old Post 06-12-2004 04:44 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for dwynne Find more posts by dwynne Add dwynne to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dwynne

There have a couple that closed on there for $1200 or less - which could be a fair price if you live in the land of high taxes, like me. A new one out the door (for full price) would be $1092.49 w/taxes. So getting one for $1200 or less would not be a HUGE mark up VS local.

The ones that get me are the dealer selling pre-orders for $1200 or so. "We have ones coming in a couple of weeks". So not only do you pay the inflated price, you still have to wait until they get them in!

Dennis

POST #7 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

HTH is offline Old Post 06-12-2004 04:55 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for HTH Visit HTH's homepage! Find more posts by HTH Add HTH to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
HTH
No Avatar Selected

Anyone know what happened to the guy who bought an XBOX Box?

If you are dissatisfied with your life, return unused portion for partial refund.

POST #8 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

nellee is offline Old Post 06-12-2004 05:20 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for nellee Find more posts by nellee Add nellee to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nellee

quote:
Strange, I thought that units were starting to show up in stores. And looking at complete items for the HR10-250 shows that it wasn't a big seller, not counting the one that sold for 2,500.00 on the 10th.
Oh, well, good luck to both the buyer and seller. I guess Ebay is about due for some insanity buying. I think the last time it happened was with the PS2, it's a shame I only had 2 of them to sell.

how do you look up completed items on ebay for these?

POST #9 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

dwynne is offline Old Post 06-12-2004 05:28 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for dwynne Find more posts by dwynne Add dwynne to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dwynne

quote:
Originally posted by nellee
how do you look up completed items on ebay for these?

Click on search, then advanced search and look for

(hdtv tivo,hr10-250, hr10250,hr-10250)

and check the "search completed items" check box.

Dennis

POST #10 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

aaronwt is offline Old Post 06-12-2004 05:28 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for aaronwt Visit aaronwt's homepage! Find more posts by aaronwt Add aaronwt to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
aaronwt
Advanced Member

Damn! And I sold 4 of them 2 weeks ago for $1350 with free FEDEX 2 day. I should have waited. I could have almost made enough to pay for 2 HDTiVos.

POST #11 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

booboy97 is offline Old Post 06-12-2004 05:31 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for booboy97 Find more posts by booboy97 Add booboy97 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
booboy97

quote:
Originally posted by bpdp379
Look at the amazing profit he will make on shipping and handling! It is still packaged as he received it, and Fedex will send that thing nationwide for under $12... Gotta love hidden fees!

Yeah, but once has to consider what his/her time is worth. If you sold something on Ebay and had to drive to some service center to send a package, would you only charge the actual price to ship the product?

It's all about what your time is worth...

Plain Jane DSR6000R
1 Philips 212 unit upgraded with 2 80GB drives for my parents
All DTivos running dual tuners using stacker/destacker setup with RG-59!

POST #12 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

dwynne is offline Old Post 06-12-2004 05:57 AM
dwynne

Another thing to think about - it the person buying the HDTivo does not activate it within 30 days of when the seller purchased it (assume it was not a dealer, but someone like us) then there will be a $150 charge back on them. There goes all the profit for some of these deals.

If aaronwt's buyers had sat on them for a bit, then counting the shipping and listing fees it would have not been that great of a deal.

Dennis

POST #13 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

jones07 is offline Old Post 06-12-2004 05:58 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for jones07 Visit jones07's homepage! Find more posts by jones07 Add jones07 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jones07
TiVo Forum Special Member

quote:
Originally posted by booboy97
Yeah, but once has to consider what his/her time is worth. If you sold something on Ebay and had to drive to some service center to send a package, would you only charge the actual price to ship the product?

It's all about what your time is worth...

Yes time is money. But $30 for shipping, an he's not putting insurance on the thing. I have a pretty good gut for these things. And my gut says shipping price gouger.

But nobody forcing anyone to bid. The rip-off shipping cost is right there in B&W

POST #14 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

TexasRanger74 is offline Old Post 06-12-2004 06:27 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for TexasRanger74 Find more posts by TexasRanger74 Add TexasRanger74 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
TexasRanger74

quote:
Originally posted by dwynne
Another thing to think about - it the person buying the HDTivo does not activate it within 30 days of when the seller purchased it (assume it was not a dealer, but someone like us) then there will be a $150 charge back on them. There goes all the profit for some of these deals.

If aaronwt's buyers had sat on them for a bit, then counting the shipping and listing fees it would have not been that great of a deal.

Dennis

that's the thing I wonder about ebay transactions on things like this. how do you know the person buying it will activate it? as dwynne stated, if they don't, then YOU get charged the fee from directv for not activating the receiver within 30 days.

POST #15 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Scott D is offline Old Post 06-12-2004 07:42 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Scott D Find more posts by Scott D Add Scott D to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Scott D

This kind of product will be a ripoff. You might not even get a good warranty simply because the manufacture more than likely won't honor an E-Bay purchase.

POST #16 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

aaronwt is offline Old Post 06-12-2004 07:55 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for aaronwt Visit aaronwt's homepage! Find more posts by aaronwt Add aaronwt to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
aaronwt
Advanced Member

I included copies of the BESTBUY sales receipts with the units I sold. BESTBUy said that would be fine if the person had a problem within 30 days or wanted to buy the extended warranty.

POST #17 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

srs148 is offline Old Post 06-12-2004 08:21 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for srs148 Find more posts by srs148 Add srs148 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
srs148

quote:

That was my auction.. the winning bidder did not immediately respond, so I sent a second chance offer to the tune of $2525 that was immediately accepted and paid for... the package is already en-route for an 8:30AM delivery tomorrow morning.

As for padding the shipping, I certainly do and am not embarrassed to admit it. A large majority of seasoned sellers on ebay do. It helps to offset the amount lost via eBay and Paypal fees. I can tell you one thing, I certainly lost money shipping this Tivo (not that I'm complaining ;-).

POST #18 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

TexasRanger74 is offline Old Post 06-12-2004 08:47 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for TexasRanger74 Find more posts by TexasRanger74 Add TexasRanger74 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
TexasRanger74

hell, if someone wants to pay me $1500, I'll sell them mine

POST #19 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

aaronwt is offline Old Post 06-12-2004 09:17 AM
aaronwt
Advanced Member

quote:
Originally posted by srs148
That was my auction.. the winning bidder did not immediately respond, so I sent a second chance offer to the tune of $2525 that was immediately accepted and paid for... the package is already en-route for an 8:30AM delivery tomorrow morning.

As for padding the shipping, I certainly do and am not embarrassed to admit it. A large majority of seasoned sellers on ebay do. It helps to offset the amount lost via eBay and Paypal fees. I can tell you one thing, I certainly lost money shipping this Tivo (not that I'm complaining ;-).

That would have been nice to get prices like that for th four I sold. But I played it safe. With that kind of profit I could have paid for 2 personal units with upgrades and had a few thousand left over. Somebody slap me!

POST #20 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged