TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Main TiVo Forums > HDTV TiVo Powered PVRs
>>> $1500 and climbing on eBay <<<

Pages (4): « Prev 1 [2] 3 4 Next »  
Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
smith13 is offline Old Post 06-12-2004 09:25 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for smith13 Find more posts by smith13 Add smith13 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
smith13

well that is crazy since this person here has 6 of them for a buy it now of 1,199.00

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...5704434648&rd=1

and no,this is not my auction

POST #21 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

mgoddard1 is offline Old Post 06-12-2004 09:32 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for mgoddard1 Find more posts by mgoddard1 Add mgoddard1 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
mgoddard1

He says he'll have them in 2 weeks. $1200 for a preorder is nuts.

POST #22 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

dwynne is offline Old Post 06-12-2004 09:33 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for dwynne Find more posts by dwynne Add dwynne to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dwynne

quote:
Originally posted by smith13
well that is crazy since this person here has 6 of them for a buy it now of 1,199.00

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...5704434648&rd=1

and no,this is not my auction

That is $1,199 for a spot in line - NOT an HDTivo you will get anytime soon. His fleabay ads clearly say:

This is an auction for a brand new sealed Hughes HD Tivo Model HR10-250 including the P5 access card that comes with it. I have a supply of these arriving in 2 weeks - the end of the month (june.) I have 51 pre-ordered right now. Your payment will reserve you one of these machines. There are only about 20 left for sale now and the next shipment from hughes is not for another few months after this one.

Ask the people over in the VE thread - or any of the other pre-order threads about how good the manufacturer is on coming through with the deliveries on time. Someone would be "nuts" (IMHO) to pay a $200 premium and STILL wait.

Dennis

POST #23 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

gkouri is offline Old Post 06-13-2004 03:43 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for gkouri Find more posts by gkouri Add gkouri to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
gkouri

I had a couple which sold on ebay last week for $1427 (used) and $1725 New. A third fellow bought one from me directly in Miami after he had won an auction and paid for it and never had a unit delivered - fraud! What was scary is that the person had excellent feedback on a number of transactions but jst stiffed this fellow and apparently one other incident of the same occured last week with respect to these machines.

I have the good fortune of getting another 3 of them to sell, but mine are arriving via UPS ground this week.

Last edited by gkouri on 06-13-2004 at 03:59 AM

POST #24 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

JackStraw is offline Old Post 06-13-2004 06:50 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for JackStraw Find more posts by JackStraw Add JackStraw to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JackStraw

EBAY prices will drop steadily over next 30 days as more people who bought units on "spec" put them up for sale. Price will settle at about $1100. If more of the inital run units start showing up DOA or bugs develop the price will drop even lower.

POST #25 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Mark Lopez is offline Old Post 06-13-2004 07:11 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Mark Lopez Find more posts by Mark Lopez Add Mark Lopez to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Mark Lopez
Just click ignore

quote:
Originally posted by srs148
As for padding the shipping, I certainly do and am not embarrassed to admit it. A large majority of seasoned sellers on ebay do.

And a large majority of seasoned buyers avoid sellers like you.

quote:

It helps to offset the amount lost via eBay and Paypal fees.

POST #26 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

srs148 is offline Old Post 06-13-2004 07:02 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for srs148 Find more posts by srs148 Add srs148 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
srs148

quote:
Originally posted by Mark Lopez
And a large majority of seasoned buyers avoid sellers like you.

Mark, if the Minority of ebayers are the ones who are coughing up $1950 and $2500 per unit respectively, I'd much prefer those customers.

quote:
Originally posted by Mark Lopez

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It helps to offset the amount lost via eBay and Paypal fees.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm just being honest. no need to be a hater, Marko

POST #27 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

olenwatson is offline Old Post 06-13-2004 07:20 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for olenwatson Find more posts by olenwatson Add olenwatson to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
olenwatson
YouStupidJesusFreak!

Good business

Not a hater here but you gotta know that unreasonable shipping costs will run off a good percentage of your customers even before they look at your items. Maybe he was doin' a little hattin' but wisdom listens even when it doesn't agree. The 10 extra you make today might very well cut your potential buyers in half. (not their bodies in half, the number)

POST #28 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

olenwatson is offline Old Post 06-13-2004 07:32 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for olenwatson Find more posts by olenwatson Add olenwatson to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
olenwatson
YouStupidJesusFreak!

No buy down

The HD TiVo has no "buy-down" the quality that triggers the $150 charge-back after 30 or 90 days or whatever. CE stores don't track who activates what, but the CE store distributor does. CE stores pay a subsidized price so that they are able to purchase the equipment with reduced cash flow. That subsidized price is derived from the premium D* pays for newly activated equipment. So if the box cost $100 and D* pays $20 for new activation, then the retailer will only have to pay $80 to aquire it. The retailer sells it for whatever price they choose but the distributor generally gets the D* premium.

Since there is no buy-down on HD TiVos there will never be a charge-back of $150. They make you sign the charge-back paperwork just so it won't get missed when the bought-down receivers are sold.

At least this is my understanding of what happens. Don't mind being corrected.

POST #29 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

AaRdVarK3 is offline Old Post 06-13-2004 07:36 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for AaRdVarK3 Find more posts by AaRdVarK3 Add AaRdVarK3 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
AaRdVarK3

I generally run all my acutions with free shipping, and it generates more interest in my auctions than otherwise.

There is a reason for inflating shipping on eBay, and for the most part, it evens out when you add the shipping cost + closing price for any two auctions. eBay charges a final value fee on teh closing cost, and not on the shipping and handling charge, so the higher the shipping, the less they pay in fees to eBay.

POST #30 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

dwynne is offline Old Post 06-13-2004 11:43 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for dwynne Find more posts by dwynne Add dwynne to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dwynne

quote:
Originally posted by AaRdVarK3
I generally run all my acutions with free shipping, and it generates more interest in my auctions than otherwise.

There is a reason for inflating shipping on eBay, and for the most part, it evens out when you add the shipping cost + closing price for any two auctions. eBay charges a final value fee on teh closing cost, and not on the shipping and handling charge, so the higher the shipping, the less they pay in fees to eBay.

I would agree - cheaper shipping (or free) generates more interest, What little I have sold online I usually do for actual UPS cost (what the UPS online system shows from me to the buyer). I make a little bit because we have a daily pickup and get a discount.

The trouble with the folks with inflated shipping, is the novice fleabayers fail to take that into account and over-bid thus driving the prices up for the rest of us. If it is on an easy to find item, no big deal - but on something hard to find failing to do that just makes everyone pay more.

In general though it just makes people think they got ripped off. It is real bone-head seller who overcharges shipping and then ships via the Post Office with metered postage (or stamps) since the buyer will know they were charged $10 for shipping and the package clearly as $4.70 of postage on it. At lease with UPS/FexEx or other PO shipments it is not such a slap in the face.

Dennis

POST #31 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

bpdp379 is offline Old Post 06-13-2004 11:56 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for bpdp379 Find more posts by bpdp379 Add bpdp379 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bpdp379
A trp, 1/17 CAV

I am just a little bitter on S&H I guess. Believe it or not, HT is a very minor side hobby of mine. My real hobby is my Jeep. I have been burned many times where I win an item where they do not list S&H at all. They will not estimate or anything for you. Then when you win they charge about 4x the real rate...

Not a big deal on a piece of electronics, but when you are talking about 70 lb transfer cases, or 40 lb whatever, the "S&H" will be more than the item....

I am not quite so mad at the ebayer who has the moxy to come out and say, "I am going to charge you for all my fees up front." It is the guy who gets you on the back end of the transaction...

War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.

John Stuart Mill

POST #32 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

aaronwt is offline Old Post 06-14-2004 01:25 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for aaronwt Visit aaronwt's homepage! Find more posts by aaronwt Add aaronwt to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
aaronwt
Advanced Member

I never bid on an item if the shippings aren't listed.

POST #33 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Kenny Banyan is offline Old Post 06-14-2004 06:08 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Kenny Banyan Find more posts by Kenny Banyan Add Kenny Banyan to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Kenny Banyan

quote:
Originally posted by bpdp379
I have been burned many times where I win an item where they do not list S&H at all. They will not estimate or anything for you. Then when you win they charge about 4x the real rate...

Open your own account at FedEx or UPS and have the seller send it to you marked 'bill the shipper'. Then you will only pay actual shipping. Ask the seller before bidding if this is OK.

Or like he said, but bid unless you see the actual S&H cost listed.

POST #34 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

srs148 is offline Old Post 06-14-2004 07:36 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for srs148 Find more posts by srs148 Add srs148 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
srs148

Re: Good business

quote:
Originally posted by olenwatson
Not a hater here but you gotta know that unreasonable shipping costs will run off a good percentage of your customers even before they look at your items. Maybe he was doin' a little hattin' but wisdom listens even when it doesn't agree. The 10 extra you make today might very well cut your potential buyers in half. (not their bodies in half, the number)

Point well-taken. But allow me to clarify. I typically price my shipping to be comparable or just lower than others selling the same given product. For instance, with the HD tivos, I checked a sampling of the listings (ALL of which had fixed shipping prices at the time) and fixed my shipping cost accordingly....

I totally agree that pricing shipping above your competitors is at the very least going to limit the dollar amount and total number of bids on your auction (I know that I won't bid as high on an item where the seller is over-charging on shipping). However, if you place yourself right in the middle of the pack, it rarely has an effect on bidding.

POST #35 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

AaRdVarK3 is offline Old Post 06-14-2004 07:47 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for AaRdVarK3 Find more posts by AaRdVarK3 Add AaRdVarK3 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
AaRdVarK3

A study was done by researchers to determine what factors make for higher prices on auctions for identical items on eBay. Interestingly enough, the primary factor was none of the things you would assume. They found that the more bids that something had on it, the more likely someone else was to bid on it. I've taken to this to heart, and most all my auctions have free shipping, and they all start at $1 with no reserve. I've had excellent luck with this and consistently beat the averages.

POST #36 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

dwynne is offline Old Post 06-14-2004 09:20 PM
dwynne

quote:
A study was done by researchers to determine what factors make for higher prices on auctions for identical items on eBay. Interestingly enough, the primary factor was none of the things you would assume. They found that the more bids that something had on it, the more likely someone else was to bid on it.

That is interesting, got a link?

From what I have seen the first separator is amount of feedback - the more the better for the seller up to a point. Someone with little feedback only got $1,200 or less for his HDTivos the other day. Once someone has a good amount of positive feedback, the having thousands more does not influence the outcome much.

The second thing is quality of the ad - again for an HDTivo is really does not matter - for most things lack of clear pictures and description tends to keep that item from getting as much money as another.

Not taking PayPal is pretty much a deal killer too. No one in this day and time wants to run to the PO for a MO when someone else just lets them pay with a click.

Timing is everything as well - if someone lists the same item as you ending later then folks will not bid has high on yours knowing they can always pick up the other one. Some sellers do this to THEMSELVES (which makes no sense) - they list a 2nd copy of the same hard to find item before the first auction ends. Timing in placing the ad - so that it ends during "prime time" when more folks can be at a PC to bid and the end can be important too. Though proxy/snipe bidding has a lot of advantages, few folks use it. So if your ad ends in the middle of the night or middle of a work day, I would guess you are going to have fewer bids.

I have always gotten more than I expected for what little I have sold on flebay - which is always nice.

Dennis

POST #37 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

AaRdVarK3 is offline Old Post 06-14-2004 09:42 PM
AaRdVarK3

I'll try to find the link. I think the article was speaking from the standpoint of two identical auctions, so those other factors weren't taken into consideration. Not taking PayPal is a deal killer for me. I'll buy from someone with low feedback if they take PayPal, as I will have a recourse and know that I'll hopefully get a bargain.

The best buying tool for eBay I've ever used is www.esnipe.com You can set up bid groups, and then just list all the auction numbers for the same item and how much you are willing to pay. It places your bid seven seconds before the auction closes, and as soon as you win one of the items, it stops bidding on the rest. It's awesome.

POST #38 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

The Bad Guy is offline Old Post 06-14-2004 10:06 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for The Bad Guy Find more posts by The Bad Guy Add The Bad Guy to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
The Bad Guy

quote:
That was my auction.. the winning bidder did not immediately respond, so I sent a second chance offer to the tune of $2525 that was immediately accepted and paid for... the package is already en-route for an 8:30AM delivery tomorrow morning.

As for padding the shipping, I certainly do and am not embarrassed to admit it. A large majority of seasoned sellers on ebay do. It helps to offset the amount lost via eBay and Paypal fees. I can tell you one thing, I certainly lost money shipping this Tivo (not that I'm complaining ;-).

The person that paid 2500 for a machine should have their head checked.

You're complaining about the "amount lost" with fees and what not then don't use e-bay as an outlet to SELL your product. That's like a retail store charging 5 dollars extra somewhere because their rent is higher at the mall than in a shopping center.

If you don't want to encounter extra fees, don't use the service.
I hate ebay dirtbags that rig their shipping just so they can make an extra dollar or 2. And if you made 1500 on a 1000 product and you rigged the shipping to make more money then you are the biggest dirtbag of them all.

"Seasoned" ebayers don't pad their shipping. People looking to bleed more money out of buyers do.

POST #39 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

dwynne is offline Old Post 06-14-2004 10:13 PM
dwynne

quote:
The best buying tool for eBay I've ever used is www.esnipe.com You can set up bid groups, and then just list all the auction numbers for the same item and how much you are willing to pay. It places your bid seven seconds before the auction closes, and as soon as you win one of the items, it stops bidding on the rest. It's awesome.

Sounds about like AuctionSniper . Same deal, bids seconds before the auction ends, has buy groups etc. You get 3 free snipes then the fees are reasonable - and you pay only if they win it for you.

Everyone I refer to them (in addtion to me getting 3 free snipes ) loves it and wonders why anyone would proxy bid. I love the "fire and forget" nature of it. I find something I want, I set my price, and fire. Days later I either get it for my price (or less) or I don't - but I do not overpay or get into a bidding war.

Dennis

POST #40 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged