TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Main TiVo Forums > HDTV TiVo Powered PVRs
>>> $1500 and climbing on eBay <<<

Pages (4): « Prev 1 2 [3] 4 Next »  
Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
cgeurin is offline Old Post 06-15-2004 12:10 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for cgeurin Find more posts by cgeurin Add cgeurin to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
cgeurin

Why pay fees to someone else for the snipe? Check out http://www.jbidwatcher.com/ I've used it for years and it's free.

POST #41 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

dwynne is offline Old Post 06-15-2004 12:21 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for dwynne Find more posts by dwynne Add dwynne to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dwynne

I looked/tried a couple of inexpensive or free snipe programs but decided I would rather not have leave it running on my PC 24/7 and depending on the cable company to not have "yet another outage" with my cable modem. By paying a few cents per snipe I don't have to worry about either. Of course, I don't buy all THAT much on fleabay so my snipe expenses are quite low.

Dennis

POST #42 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

jawilliams is offline Old Post 06-15-2004 04:00 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for jawilliams Find more posts by jawilliams Add jawilliams to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jawilliams

I must have been lucky

I paid just over $1,100 with shipping and handling to get a brand new DirecTV branded HR10-250 sealed in the box with factory tape and the P-Card, and that was three weeks ago.

I think I can consider myself lukcy.

POST #43 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

ShiningBengal is offline Old Post 06-15-2004 05:44 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for ShiningBengal Find more posts by ShiningBengal Add ShiningBengal to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ShiningBengal
Curmudgeon Emeritus

What a hoot! Price gouging? Is someone putting a gun to any buyer's head? The seller is stating the shipping price up front for crying out loud. As far as insurance, it costs practically nothing on UPS...$0.30/per hundred dollars or so...not worth getting bent out of shape over.

The funny thing is that people actually believe this "shortage" will continue long enough to warrant paying hundreds of dollars premium just so they can watch summer re-runs in HD! I can buy an HD TiVo right now at retail for $900, but I'm not in any rush. I also have a $250 "retention" credit awaiting activation on any HD TiVo I buy from DirecTV.

But I'm waiting. Anyway, summertime is too precious to spend my spare hours sitting in front of a TV--even if it is in glorious HD!

quote:
Originally posted by jones07
Yes time is money. But $30 for shipping, an he's not putting insurance on the thing. I have a pretty good gut for these things. And my gut says shipping price gouger.

But nobody forcing anyone to bid. The rip-off shipping cost is right there in B&W

POST #44 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Lije Baley is offline Old Post 06-15-2004 08:27 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Lije Baley Find more posts by Lije Baley Add Lije Baley to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Lije Baley
I want HD Nextel Cup

quote:
Originally posted by ShiningBengal
Anyway, summertime is too precious to spend my spare hours sitting in front of a TV--even if it is in glorious HD!

Especially if your winter is in Minnesota.

POST #45 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

dwynne is offline Old Post 06-15-2004 08:33 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for dwynne Find more posts by dwynne Add dwynne to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dwynne

quote:
Originally posted by Lije Baley
Especially if your winter is in Minnesota.

Yeah, the summer will be over for him next week

Hard to believe there is an HDTivo you can buy for $900 sitting someplace and it has not been purchased. Even if I were out enjoying the summer, I could have found time to purchase it and make a few hundred off of fleabay. That would take little effort and almost no time.

Dennis

POST #46 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

purduealum91 is offline Old Post 06-15-2004 10:29 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for purduealum91 Find more posts by purduealum91 Add purduealum91 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
purduealum91

Ill gladly buy that HD Tivo for $900

email me at purduealum91@hotmail.com

Thanks!

POST #47 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

jasdat is offline Old Post 06-15-2004 10:34 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for jasdat Find more posts by jasdat Add jasdat to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jasdat

PayPal

quote:
I'll try to find the link. I think the article was speaking from the standpoint of two identical auctions, so those other factors weren't taken into consideration. Not taking PayPal is a deal killer for me. I'll buy from someone with low feedback if they take PayPal, as I will have a recourse and know that I'll hopefully get a bargain.

Thats what you think, there is no recourse whatsoever with PayPal.
I recently purchased a Laptop from someone and paid by PayPal...$580.
No laptop received, got all the excuses under the sun from the seller. Eventually said his"brother" had sold it on his account and he was not responsible.
Complained to PayPal and they said they would recover what they could and eventually credited me with $200. The seller in the meantime emailed me to stop bothering him and admitted that he had no intention of sending the laptop or returning the money. I sent this email to PayPal.
Now here,s the kikker, the seller relisted the laptop on ebay, resold it and
was paid through PayPal.
When I asked PayPal when I was to receive the rest of my refund they replied that I had all I was going to get and the second transaction had nothing to do with the first.
Sooo...dont think there is any safety in dealing with PayPal.

POST #48 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

dwynne is offline Old Post 06-15-2004 10:47 PM
dwynne

I checked and they are up to 26 HDTivos listed on fleabay today, all but a couple of "in hand, ready to ship".

Several of them are way overpriced, but you never know what someone else will pay - I guess.

Dennis

POST #49 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

AaRdVarK3 is offline Old Post 06-15-2004 11:03 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for AaRdVarK3 Find more posts by AaRdVarK3 Add AaRdVarK3 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
AaRdVarK3

Re: PayPal

quote:
Originally posted by jasdat
No laptop received, got all the excuses under the sun from the seller. Eventually said his"brother" had sold it on his account and he was not responsible.
Complained to PayPal and they said they would recover what they could and eventually credited me with $200. The seller in the meantime emailed me to stop bothering him and admitted that he had no intention of sending the laptop or returning the money. I sent this email to PayPal.
was paid through PayPal.
When I asked PayPal when I was to receive the rest of my refund they replied that I had all I was going to get and the second transaction had nothing to do with the first.

The recourse I'm referring to is through an American Express chargeback, which I know for a fact is allowed for botched PayPal transaction.

POST #50 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

danielhart is offline Old Post 06-15-2004 11:23 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for danielhart Find more posts by danielhart Add danielhart to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
danielhart
Searchlight Casting

quote:
was paid through PayPal.

On many types of merchandise transactions (I don't know if a laptop qualifies) Paypal offers a 30 day money back guarantee service at the time of the transaction for a nominal added fee. This is different and above and beyond their normal buyer protection/dispute resolution policies.

daniel

POST #51 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

ShiningBengal is offline Old Post 06-16-2004 05:09 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for ShiningBengal Find more posts by ShiningBengal Add ShiningBengal to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ShiningBengal
Curmudgeon Emeritus

quote:
Originally posted by dwynne
Yeah, the summer will be over for him next week

Hard to believe there is an HDTivo you can buy for $900 sitting someplace and it has not been purchased. Even if I were out enjoying the summer, I could have found time to purchase it and make a few hundred off of fleabay. That would take little effort and almost no time.

Dennis

You are right about Minnesota summers. They are short, but oh so sweet. As far as the $900 HD TiVo "waiting" for me, that isn't the way it is. I know someone at one of the major electronics chains. All I need to do is let my guy know, and I'm at the top of the list for the next shipment. As far as buying it and selling it on eBay...under the circumstances, I don't think so. How do I get my own then? You try not to wear out your welcome mat, you know.

POST #52 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

scooby2 is offline Old Post 06-16-2004 05:22 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for scooby2 Find more posts by scooby2 Add scooby2 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
scooby2
Paradigm Lover

quote:
was paid through PayPal.

I always use a credit card with paypal. Nothing better then double bagging it.

POST #53 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

dwynne is offline Old Post 06-16-2004 07:44 PM
dwynne

Looks like 25 HD Tivo listings this morning on fleabay, all but 2-3 are in hand ready to ship. The prices are moderating somewhat as well - a couple that close in a few hours are only up to $1200. Of course a last minute bidding frenzy could ensue.

Dennis

POST #54 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

TexasRanger74 is offline Old Post 06-16-2004 07:47 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for TexasRanger74 Find more posts by TexasRanger74 Add TexasRanger74 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
TexasRanger74

quote:
was paid through PayPal.

you need to report that to the FBI for fraud. they will put all the pressure you need on the seller to get your money or your item.... obviously if the item is already gone, you won't get the laptop, but report him/her. it's mail fraud, and if it's across state lines, I'm pretty sure it's a federal offense.

POST #55 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

srs148 is offline Old Post 06-17-2004 02:15 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for srs148 Find more posts by srs148 Add srs148 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
srs148

quote:
Originally posted by The Bad Guy
The person that paid 2500 for a machine should have their head checked.

[QUOTE][B]
You're complaining about the "amount lost" with fees and what not then don't use e-bay as an outlet to SELL your product. That's like a retail store charging 5 dollars extra somewhere because their rent is higher at the mall than in a shopping center.

I wasn't complaining, rather stating a fact; that is, I set fixed shipping costs which sometimes offset ebay & paypal fees.... and sometimes Do NOT... especially if shipping via expedited carrier across the country.

quote:

If you don't want to encounter extra fees, don't use the service.
I hate ebay dirtbags that rig their shipping just so they can make an extra dollar or 2. And if you made 1500 on a 1000 product and you rigged the shipping to make more money then you are the biggest dirtbag of them all.

The shipping price was set comparable to or cheaper than every other HiDef tivo auction on ebay PRIOR to the auction starting, so your logic that I "rigged the shipping" is totally flawed... 2-Day Fedex for $25 anywhere in the country is not fleecing my customers by any means... And, after seeing the final auction price, I shipped the unit Priority Overnight w/Saturday delivery, which costs about twice as much as I charged for it.

quote:

"Seasoned" ebayers don't pad their shipping. People looking to bleed more money out of buyers do.

You are completely wrong. Most seasoned buyers set fixed, Reasonable shipping prices (as I do). This makes it easier for a would-be purchaser to understand what their total costs will be and allows them to adjust their bidding accordingly.

If you don't like the practices of "Scumbag" ebayers, then don't look at our auctions. Grow up, for goodness sake.

POST #56 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

JEbbesen is offline Old Post 06-17-2004 02:28 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for JEbbesen Find more posts by JEbbesen Add JEbbesen to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JEbbesen
Advanced Member

Re: Re: PayPal

quote:
Originally posted by TexasRanger74
you need to report that to the FBI for fraud. they will put all the pressure you need on the seller to get your money or your item.... obviously if the item is already gone, you won't get the laptop, but report him/her. it's mail fraud, and if it's across state lines, I'm pretty sure it's a federal offense.

You're joking right? The FBI won't even think about getting into it unless there are some serious $$$ being defrauded. I got burned for $1,600 2 years ago and the FBI kinda of laughed at me - had to be high 5 figures to get their interest. The bigest problem was trying to find out who was responsible when dealing over the internet. Everyone I talked to told me to talk to someone else. Big run around.

I argue very well. Ask any of my remaining friends. I can win an argument on any topic, against any opponent. People know this, and steer clear of me at parties. Often, as a sign of their great respect, they don't even invite me. -- Dave Barry

POST #57 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

ratfacejt is offline Old Post 06-17-2004 02:38 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for ratfacejt Find more posts by ratfacejt Add ratfacejt to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ratfacejt

Re: Re: Re: PayPal

quote:
Originally posted by JEbbesen
You're joking right? The FBI won't even think about getting into it unless there are some serious $$$ being defrauded. I got burned for $1,600 2 years ago and the FBI kinda of laughed at me - had to be high 5 figures to get their interest. The bigest problem was trying to find out who was responsible when dealing over the internet. Everyone I talked to told me to talk to someone else. Big run around.

JEbbesen is right -- this isn't going to get any interest at the FBI. (I deal with the FBI on a regular basis, and if you aren't talking about a 5 figure loss, they have more important things to do).

I would however, file a complaint with them (you can do it via email). It provides some leverage against the seller. I would also continue to push with both Paypal and Ebay. Both have dedicted teams to work with actual fraud, and if you convince them there has been actual fraud, they will be aggressive in righting the wrong.

You might also want to check any insurance you have, such as home owners insurance or any umbrella policy. You might get a pleasant surprise and find out part of the loss is covered.

Any friends lawyers? A nice letter alleging fraud, noting the FBI complaint and demanding significant damages might wake the person up.

POST #58 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

jones07 is offline Old Post 06-17-2004 03:12 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for jones07 Visit jones07's homepage! Find more posts by jones07 Add jones07 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jones07
TiVo Forum Special Member

Re: Re: Re: PayPal

quote:
Originally posted by JEbbesen

You are 100% correct. unless you are talking Huge amount of money or there an many people taken by the same person the FBI could care less. You will be better off dealing with the local police in the town this scammer is from............If you can find out his adddy. That's why these scammers like to deal with Paypal as the middle man in their scam. Paypal will not give up any personal info.

Years ago I got scammed for $200 for a video card. Ebay did nothing Paypal would not help. The FBI sent me a online form to fill out........Never heard back for them.

The small town police from the town he was from got my money back from the parents of this 17 year old

*My wife won on one of his other items and said she could only pay via money order.......That's the only way we got his mailing address

we use a credit card with paypal now also. Paypal does not like cc charge backs..........But the H@ll with what paypal likes

POST #59 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

JEbbesen is offline Old Post 06-17-2004 03:17 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for JEbbesen Find more posts by JEbbesen Add JEbbesen to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JEbbesen
Advanced Member

Re: Re: Re: Re: PayPal

quote:
Originally posted by ratfacejt
You might also want to check any insurance you have, such as home owners insurance or any umbrella policy. You might get a pleasant surprise and find out part of the loss is covered.

Good tip - I got back a couple of hundred $$ from my homeowners insurance. Could have been more if I had the appropriate rider.

I argue very well. Ask any of my remaining friends. I can win an argument on any topic, against any opponent. People know this, and steer clear of me at parties. Often, as a sign of their great respect, they don't even invite me. -- Dave Barry

POST #60 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged