TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
>>> Unwired and loving it, sort of.... <<<

Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
MerlinMacuser is offline Old Post 06-14-2004 08:47 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for MerlinMacuser Find more posts by MerlinMacuser Add MerlinMacuser to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MerlinMacuser

Thumbs up Unwired and loving it!!!!!!!

After reading the message from the mothership about free HMO, I bought a Linksys WUSB11 adapter and plugged it in. I have an Apple G5 running OS 10.3.4 and a Motorola SBG 1000 Wireless (802.11b) Hub/Router with built-in cable modem and print server. It is a sweet combo unit, by the way.

Set up on Tivo was done during half time during the Lakers v. Pistons Game 4 (Go Pistons!) and was as simple as following the prompts from Tivo. It detected the adapter and the network without any gyrations on my part. I changed the settings to connect via Network instead of by Phone and tested the signal. Tivo rated it as Excellent with an 80% signal strength. Wow, so, so easy!

I loaded the Tivo Desktop utility to my G5 and opted to allow Music to be shared.

I rebooted the Mac just to be sure the changes registered.

Tivo recognizes the network but it can't find the Music from the Mac. It shows the server (IP number) of the Router but not the name of the computer. Do I need to manually add the G5 as a server? How do I do that? What IP number do I use? Can I use the G5's name instead of an IP#?

Is there something I need to do on the G5 to allow file sharing with Tivo? I have activated Personal File Sharing already and easily share files across the network between the G5 and my older PPC8600.

Finally, the pictures of the Tivo Desktop in the manual make it look as though there is an actual application to select phots and music files...is that only for PeeCees? I activate my TiVo Desktop from System Preferences on the G5.

UPDATE: I scrolled a little farther down on the Firewall Panel and found the Tivo Music folder just as Bob suggested I would...selected that, re-booted, then selected Music and Photos from What's On Tivo and saw my Computer BY NAME (!) in the server list. In only 5 minutes I was able to launch an iTunes playist of 240 songs! This is very, very cool! Thank you Tivo!

My wife asked, "Why do we want to stream music from our computer?" I answered, "Because we can." Now that we've had 2 hours of continuous music without a commercial and without changing a disk, I think she's onboard with this too.

Thank you Tivo!!!!

Last edited by MerlinMacuser on 06-15-2004 at 06:34 AM

POST #1 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

bedelman is offline Old Post 06-14-2004 09:52 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for bedelman Visit bedelman's homepage! Find more posts by bedelman Add bedelman to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bedelman
Call me Bob

TiVo Desktop on OSX uses iPhoto and iTunes to manage the content. It's a much better solution than what was done for Windows in my opinion. Neither iTunes nor iPhoto need to be running though -- they're only used to manage your collections.

Your problem is probably because you have the Mac OS X firewall turned on. There's a support article on this at http://customersupport.tivo.com/tiv...blic/tv1159.htm

1 Pioneer DVR-810H
2 TiVo Series 2 80 hour (one living with son in college)
1 TiVo Series 2 140 hour
1 Humax DRT-800 DVD Recorder with TiVo
1 Sony SVR-2000 (living with other son in Michigan)

POST #2 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

anazoal is offline Old Post 06-14-2004 09:53 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for anazoal Find more posts by anazoal Add anazoal to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
anazoal

...I'm at work on a PC, so bear with me...

In the TiVo Desktop preferences under your System Preferences, there should be an option to share your iTunes music and iPhoto photos.

POST #3 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

bedelman is offline Old Post 06-14-2004 10:01 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for bedelman Visit bedelman's homepage! Find more posts by bedelman Add bedelman to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bedelman
Call me Bob

quote:
Originally posted by anazoal
...I'm at work on a PC, so bear with me...

In the TiVo Desktop preferences under your System Preferences, there should be an option to share your iTunes music and iPhoto photos.

That same support article I posted the hyperlink to above has information in regard to this as well.

1 Pioneer DVR-810H
2 TiVo Series 2 80 hour (one living with son in college)
1 TiVo Series 2 140 hour
1 Humax DRT-800 DVD Recorder with TiVo
1 Sony SVR-2000 (living with other son in Michigan)

POST #4 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

MerlinMacuser is offline Old Post 06-15-2004 02:23 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for MerlinMacuser Find more posts by MerlinMacuser Add MerlinMacuser to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MerlinMacuser

quote:
Originally posted by bedelman
TiVo Desktop on OSX uses iPhoto and iTunes to manage the content. It's a much better solution than what was done for Windows in my opinion. Neither iTunes nor iPhoto need to be running though -- they're only used to manage your collections.

Your problem is probably because you have the Mac OS X firewall turned on. There's a support article on this at http://customersupport.tivo.com/tiv...blic/tv1159.htm

Thanks, Bob

This looks like the link I need for the firewall info:
http://customersupport.tivo.com/tiv...blic/tv1158.htm

POST #5 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged