TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Suggestion Avenue
>>> Lifetime service... <<<

Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
ogden2k is offline Old Post 06-17-2004 12:41 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for ogden2k Visit ogden2k's homepage! Find more posts by ogden2k Add ogden2k to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ogden2k

Lifetime service...

Lifetime serivce should be for the person, not the device... With TiVo coming out with new devices, it seems like a waste to buy a "lifetime" service for the device...

POST #1 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

dirtypacman is offline Old Post 06-17-2004 12:47 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for dirtypacman Visit dirtypacman's homepage! Find more posts by dirtypacman Add dirtypacman to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dirtypacman
Best in Class

HEHEHE

I cant believe you started a new thread for this same post.
I had read your earlier post asking the question of the lifetime service and if it was transferable.

You made the exact same comment a short while ago and then Start a new Thread to state the exact same thing.

Well anyways if it makes you feel any better I agree with you.

By the way you can make your money back for the lifetime service by selling it to a new user or through Ebay! Easy way to make back your $300 plus some.

1) TIVO Series 2 225 Hour (Upgraded) w/monthly service
2) PIONEER #810H-S (Un-modified)
3) TIVO Series 2 80 Hour (Un-modified)
(#2/3) with Lifetime + networked

HD Comcast /Digital Comcast

Network through Verizon DSL
w/Belkin Router and (2) LinkSys USB200M ethernet adapter

POST #2 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

ogden2k is offline Old Post 06-17-2004 12:48 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for ogden2k Visit ogden2k's homepage! Find more posts by ogden2k Add ogden2k to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ogden2k

I thought the people that can make things change would be more apt to read it here then in the other section. Hopefully they will consider this.

POST #3 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

dirtypacman is offline Old Post 06-17-2004 12:51 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for dirtypacman Visit dirtypacman's homepage! Find more posts by dirtypacman Add dirtypacman to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dirtypacman
Best in Class

You did post in the proper area though. VERY GOOD.

I have done things like answer a question for a Direct Tivo user that is incorrect because I had not looked at where the thread originated from.

And yes the moderators will read most every post in this forum.

POST #4 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

maharg18 is offline Old Post 06-17-2004 12:52 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for maharg18 Find more posts by maharg18 Add maharg18 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
maharg18
TiVo Forum Special Member

I don't see that ever happening.. But like dirtypacman said, lifetime is transferrable with the unit, so when you upgrade, you can sell the unit with lifetime and recoup almost the entire $299 fee usually, which you can put toward a lifetime sub for your new Tivo.

HR10-250 HD Directivo
DSR704 SD Directivo

POST #5 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

ogden2k is offline Old Post 06-17-2004 12:55 AM
ogden2k

quote:
Originally posted by maharg18
I don't see that ever happening.. But like dirtypacman said, lifetime is transferrable with the unit, so when you upgrade, you can sell the unit with lifetime and recoup almost the entire $299 fee usually, which you can put toward a lifetime sub for your new Tivo.

I'm confused now. If I buy a SA Tivo S2, and say when a S3 comes out, I buy it. I can transfer my lifetime to the S3 and sell my S2 w/o a service?

POST #6 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Dennis Wilkinson is offline Old Post 06-17-2004 01:04 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis Wilkinson Visit Dennis Wilkinson's homepage! Find more posts by Dennis Wilkinson Add Dennis Wilkinson to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dennis Wilkinson
Advanced Member

No, but you can likely sell the S2 w/lifetime service for (insert depreciated value of S2 here)+$299 on eBay, recovering the cost of the lifetime subscription, then apply that $299 to the purchase of a new lifetime subscription.

At least, that has been the experience of many people around here.

POST #7 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

maharg18 is offline Old Post 06-17-2004 01:05 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for maharg18 Find more posts by maharg18 Add maharg18 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
maharg18

By "transferrable with the unit" I mean that it stays with the Tivo.. If you sell it to someone, they get the lifetime with it too, and you must then buy service for your new Tivo.

Sorry about the confusion!

There is one minor point that I haven't seen made yet about this issue.. When series 2's came out, Tivo offered a lifetime-transfer program for a very limited time which allowed people with lifetime service on their series 1's to transfer it to their new units.. When a series 3 comes out they could always make the same type of offer, but of course no one knows when or if that would happen.

HR10-250 HD Directivo
DSR704 SD Directivo

POST #8 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

ogden2k is offline Old Post 06-17-2004 01:31 AM
ogden2k

quote:
Originally posted by maharg18
By "transferrable with the unit" I mean that it stays with the Tivo.. If you sell it to someone, they get the lifetime with it too, and you must then buy service for your new Tivo.

Sorry about the confusion!

There is one minor point that I haven't seen made yet about this issue.. When series 2's came out, Tivo offered a lifetime-transfer program for a very limited time which allowed people with lifetime service on their series 1's to transfer it to their new units.. When a series 3 comes out they could always make the same type of offer, but of course no one knows when or if that would happen.

If that was an option, to go from S2 - S3 I would definitaly buy the Tivo... I'd like to hear from an official rep to be sure.

POST #9 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Jonathan_S is offline Old Post 06-17-2004 02:39 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Jonathan_S Find more posts by Jonathan_S Add Jonathan_S to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jonathan_S

I doubt they would confirm it at this point. There aren't even any announced plans to make a series 3 unit. Even with the series 1 to series 2 swap it wasn't announced (despite much complaining) until the series 2 units were out, and then the offer only existed for a fixed short window. (a month or two, I don't exactly recall).

POST #10 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Lurker1 is offline Old Post 06-17-2004 02:58 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Lurker1 Find more posts by Lurker1 Add Lurker1 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Lurker1

What is the reasoning behind buying someone's old "could break at any moment" Tivo with lifetime service on Ebay, and paying full price for the lifetime service?

POST #11 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Dennis Wilkinson is offline Old Post 06-17-2004 05:56 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis Wilkinson Visit Dennis Wilkinson's homepage! Find more posts by Dennis Wilkinson Add Dennis Wilkinson to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dennis Wilkinson
Advanced Member

quote:
Originally posted by Lurker1
What is the reasoning behind buying someone's old "could break at any moment" Tivo with lifetime service on Ebay, and paying full price for the lifetime service?

I don't understand it myself, but that's what happens, quite consistently. Then again, I've seen people pay more than retail for used-but-still-available-in-stores items on EBay. Go figure.

POST #12 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

dirtypacman is offline Old Post 06-17-2004 06:07 PM
dirtypacman
Best in Class

Great example I just purchased a 80 hour series 2 with lifetime for $350.

Done through personal sale not ebay but they get to recoup the cost and I get a great deal. Yes it is used but even if I have to pay $100 to get it fixed within the next year or two it still beats the best price tivo can offer.

So yes people at this point still buy and sell used tivos with lifetime service included.

POST #13 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged