TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Underground Playground > TiVo Underground
>>> Hardware Idea <<<

Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
56Effie is offline Old Post 06-17-2004 07:24 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for 56Effie Find more posts by 56Effie Add 56Effie to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
56Effie

Hardware Idea

Having problems with channel chainging gave me an idea. Why not open up the Sat or Cable receiver and solder a two conductor wire in at the IR receiver then into a simple optoisolator fed into a headphone jack mounted in the back of the case. In theory a patch cable could be used between the Tivo IR out straight into the back of the Sat/Cable box. This setup would allow your factory remote to control the device as normal but give Tivos IR blaster a direct interference free connection.
Has anyone tried this or see anything wrong in my theory?
Craig

POST #1 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

stevel is offline Old Post 06-17-2004 07:28 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for stevel Visit stevel's homepage! Find more posts by stevel Add stevel to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
stevel
Dumb Blond

Seems simpler to me to insert a mini-emitter "in view" of the sensor. You're making some assumptions about the electrical characteristics of the receiver.

One thousand three hundred thirty-three, zero

POST #2 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

56Effie is offline Old Post 06-17-2004 07:54 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for 56Effie Find more posts by 56Effie Add 56Effie to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
56Effie

That's basically what an Opto-Isolator is a single device with both emmiter and sensor inside. There is no hardware assumptions, it would work with any device that the Tivo would have normal control over via IR. This is just a less cluttered way to get an interference free signal and without worry of proper alignment. A piece of two conductor wire, a case mountable jack, opto and patch cable is all that's needed. Opto's are less than a buck in most cases.

Craig

POST #3 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

classicsat is offline Old Post 06-17-2004 10:20 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for classicsat Find more posts by classicsat Add classicsat to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
classicsat
Astute User

You are assuming the IR receiver in a cable or satellite box is just an eye. It is not. It is a unit which has an IR sensitive photo eye, plus an amplifer filter and detector. It outputs a logic low signal with the presence of an IR carrier (not just IR, but IR modualted at 35-45 Khz). At that, they are a sealed integrated unit you cannot have direct access to the eye.

To effectively do what you want, all you really need to do is filter out the carrier from the IR out on the Tivo (on the transistor side of the opto isolator) with a hokeinductor and capacitor.

POST #4 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

56Effie is offline Old Post 06-17-2004 10:50 PM
56Effie

I've not looked but I bet your right. I forgot about the ir modules on the receive end. Do you know how the two leds are wired in the blaster (par. or Ser.)?

P.S. Did you mean Choke Inductor?

Craig

POST #5 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

classicsat is offline Old Post 06-18-2004 08:31 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for classicsat Find more posts by classicsat Add classicsat to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
classicsat
Astute User

A: I don't know. I made one with just one LED,and it works fine.

B: Yes, a choke inductor, and capacitor, sized to snub the carrier into a DC waveform.

POST #6 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

cachecard_user is offline Old Post 06-24-2004 09:47 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for cachecard_user Find more posts by cachecard_user Add cachecard_user to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
cachecard_user

quote:
Originally posted by 56Effie
Do you know how the two leds are wired in the blaster (par. or Ser.)?

Craig

trial and error

POST #7 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged