TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Main TiVo Forums > HDTV TiVo Powered PVRs
>>> CC Go Get em <<<

Pages (9): « First ... « Prev 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 Next »  
Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
lady400 is offline Old Post 06-19-2004 05:09 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for lady400 Find more posts by lady400 Add lady400 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
lady400

Re: Re: It worked!!

quote:
Originally posted by videojanitor
How soon after you ordered did you get the email confirmation? I seem to be the only one that never received an email ...

--Bill R.

I received my confirmation email in about 40 minutes. I'm quite sure I was not in time for CC's "ship it today" cutoff time, so I doubt I will see a tracking number until Monday.

POST #101 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Dean Martin is offline Old Post 06-19-2004 05:27 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Dean Martin Find more posts by Dean Martin Add Dean Martin to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dean Martin

quote:
all u freaks paying the ridiculous price and selling them out is what is keeping the price high.

That's just how it is. If no one adopted early they would stop making them.

POST #102 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

fredfa is offline Old Post 06-19-2004 06:00 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for fredfa Find more posts by fredfa Add fredfa to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
fredfa

don't worry greg.
There should be enough on trucks from Mexico these days to make sure almost no one makes a killing selling them on ebay anymore.
And hopefully, these greedy "entrepreneurs" will end up getting hosed.

POST #103 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

robnalex is offline Old Post 06-19-2004 07:09 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for robnalex Find more posts by robnalex Add robnalex to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
robnalex

Exclamation CC Protection Plan

Once you get your unit or have your online receipt you can take a copy to your local CC (They won't do it online) and buy an extended protection plan. 5 years for $89.99, 3 years for around $69, and it's for a REPLACEMENT! If you have any problems just take it to the store and get a new one!

I am so happy to see all of you finally getting one!

Panasonic RP-56 DVD
Panasonic TH-50PHD6UY Plasma Display

POST #104 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Drenhead is offline Old Post 06-19-2004 07:50 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Drenhead Find more posts by Drenhead Add Drenhead to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Drenhead

I got an order number on the CC website, but I haven't received a confirmation e-mail. Do you think the order number means I am all set?

POST #105 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

MrCoolDu4 is offline Old Post 06-19-2004 08:25 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for MrCoolDu4 Find more posts by MrCoolDu4 Add MrCoolDu4 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MrCoolDu4

Go to the CC site

I think the best way to check your status is to go to CC online and login. From there you can check your order status and it should give you a tracking number too.

POST #106 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

dwynne is offline Old Post 06-19-2004 08:45 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for dwynne Find more posts by dwynne Add dwynne to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dwynne

Re: CC Protection Plan

quote:
Originally posted by robnalex
Once you get your unit or have your online receipt you can take a copy to your local CC (They won't do it online) and buy an extended protection plan. 5 years for $89.99, 3 years for around $69, and it's for a REPLACEMENT! If you have any problems just take it to the store and get a new one!

You can order it right online, you have to disable your popup blocker as it pops up the offer when you add the HDTivo to your cart. 3 years for $64.99.

Also, if you already have one in your cart and then add another it will NOT popup and offer you the extended warranty. You have to empty the cart, then re-add w/o the popup blocker.

I got one from 6th Ave last week so I avoided the local 9.25% sales tax, but if I had ordered from CC I would have sprung for the 3 year warranty. D* gets $8 a month for protection (of all your stuff) so $65 for 3 years is a nice deal. I bet they are charging the wrong price on this - this is unusually low (6.5%) for the warranty.

Dennis

POST #107 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

gkouri is offline Old Post 06-19-2004 06:27 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for gkouri Find more posts by gkouri Add gkouri to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
gkouri

All gone...

POST #108 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

RayinMaui is offline Old Post 06-19-2004 06:57 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for RayinMaui Find more posts by RayinMaui Add RayinMaui to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
RayinMaui

There when I just looked now!

Got mine already from CC and I love it!

POST #109 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Robert Simandl is offline Old Post 06-19-2004 07:19 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Robert Simandl Find more posts by Robert Simandl Add Robert Simandl to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Robert Simandl

Definitely all gone.

POST #110 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Dean Martin is offline Old Post 06-19-2004 08:21 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Dean Martin Find more posts by Dean Martin Add Dean Martin to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dean Martin

Dwynne,

Why not buy the coverage from Directv that covers ALL of your equipment?
My remote had a button break off and D* sent me a new one right away.
It covers your dish and all of you receivers.

POST #111 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

MikeCC is offline Old Post 06-19-2004 09:49 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for MikeCC Find more posts by MikeCC Add MikeCC to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MikeCC

quote:
Originally posted by Dean Martin

Well, I don't know about the D* protection plan... we never ever finish paying for it, even after our equipment is no longer cutting edge.

The CC plan will cover the remote too. And if you buy the dish from CC, they'll protect that for a full three years for only one payment of $7. And that includes sending an installer out to put up a new one if a windstorm or lightning knocks out or misaligns the dish.

My wife thinks THAT's a good idea. She doesn't want me up on the roof any more. Does the D* plan include sending a tech out to go up on your roof if you need a new dish?

So it seems to me that the CC one time payment is far more economical than D*'s. If I cover the HR10250 and the dish, I am better off financially after the break-even point of 9 months.

And 3 years is probably about how long I plan to be using the 10250 before i figure I'll need to upgrade.

Someone else mentioned just taking the box over to the store for a replacement. Actually, the store don't swap 'em out, that's done by calling the toll free number. They'll ship you a new one and you send the old receiver back.

But let's all pray that any more problems hold off until there are more units in the pipeline.... how can anyone get replacements when we have only just begun to see the orders being filled for the first time now?

POST #112 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

JAB is offline Old Post 06-19-2004 10:32 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for JAB Find more posts by JAB Add JAB to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JAB
TiVoist Emeritus

Question

I've seen CC insist that their extended warranty only covered repairing the broken unit. I've seen some pretty ugly scenes at customer service over this very issue.

Is everyone sure this policy is for replacement with a new unit?

/jab

POST #113 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

MikeCC is offline Old Post 06-19-2004 11:31 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for MikeCC Find more posts by MikeCC Add MikeCC to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MikeCC

Repair v replacement

Well, most things covered under the service plan are likely to be repaired; however, DirecTV receives are handled a little differently.

I've seen some ugly things at my local Circuit City about repairs, too, but honestly, that's because some people I've seen just have wildly unrealistic expectations.

Neither DirecTV nor CC will promise to send a NEW unit to replace a malfunctioning one. Right now, if there are new units around, perhaps; but eventually, replacements are likely to be refurbished units. If you think a manufacturer will promise you a NEW unit if yours ever malfunctions, please stop buying things. You will only be disappointed.

The specific wording of the service plan is found at the CC website, but I've copied a portion for you:

6. DIRECTV® Receivers. If the covered Product is a DIRECTV® Receiver, You must call (888) 333-2333 to report the Product failure. We may replace the Product with a new or rebuilt receiver in lieu of effecting repairs to the covered Product, at the sole discretion of the Service Provider or its designee. In such event, You will be required to return the original Product to the Service Provider, at the Service Provider's reasonable expense. You may be required to provide a credit card number as a guarantee that the defective Product will be returned.

Just don't try to take it back to a store, because they don't have the replacement units to exchange to you.

Of course, I suppose the plan can't cover EVERYTHING. If my kids roughhouse and knock the unit onto the floor, the physical damage is not covered. (I have yet to find any performance plan that covers that kind of stuff!)

Fortunately, I'm sure all of us here are so careful (hmm, obsessive? fanatical? over-the-top?) that we'd do everything possible to avoid physical damage...

I've had luck with Circuit City's performance plans. I don't get them on all things, but with a newly released product having a 250 Gig hard drive, two HD DirecTV sat receivers, and two HD OTA receivers, the performance plan lets me sleep a little better at night.

Last edited by MikeCC on 06-19-2004 at 11:39 PM

POST #114 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

dwynne is offline Old Post 06-19-2004 11:51 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for dwynne Find more posts by dwynne Add dwynne to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dwynne

quote:
Originally posted by Dean Martin
Dwynne,

The CC plan is $65 one time for 3 years, with D* it is $8 a month "forever" - in 3 years you will have paid $288 to D*!! The D* plan DOES cover more stuff, like re-aligning the dish, etc. My other 3 D* units are DTivos (with upgraded drives). Since I could replace any of them for $99 now, there does not seem to be too much benefit from paying $8 a month. I installed all my own stuff and even have a spare triple LNB dish.

All that said, I signed up for the $8 a month when I activated my HDTivo. There have been plenty of stories of failures early on and it SEEMS D* takes better care of you if you have the protection.

Note that there IS a 30 day waiting period before you can file a claim, so if you get a DOA or Dead soon after arrival box you will have to deal with the dealer (if they have any more), a return, or sending it off for warranty service. It is not clear to me if you already are on the plan if a newly activated box has the same 30 day limit or not. If not, then everyone should activate as soon as they know the HDTivo is on the way to eliminate some of the 30 days.

I figure once my HDTivo has "burned in" a few months I will likely cancel the plan and take my chances - but in the event I have an early failure then I will be glad I have it.

Dennis

POST #115 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

lady400 is offline Old Post 06-20-2004 12:03 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for lady400 Find more posts by lady400 Add lady400 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
lady400

Salesmen sometimes give that expectation..

quote:
Originally posted by JAB
I've seen CC insist that their extended warranty only covered repairing the broken unit. I've seen some pretty ugly scenes at customer service over this very issue./jab

quote:
Originally posted by MikeCC
I've seen some ugly things at my local Circuit City about repairs, too, but honestly, that's because some people I've seen just have wildly unrealistic expectations

Some of these unrealistic expections are a result of CC salesman. I bought a camcorder as a Christmas gift a couple of years ago at CC. The salesman was pushing hard on the extended warranty, and insisted over and over that should anything go wrong, the unit would be replaced immediately, not repaired. He even used this heavily as a selling point. When I asked to see the policy in writing first, he was very hesitant. I informed him I would not buy without seeing the actual policy, and he still hesitated. He finally went and found a copy, and lo and behold, such was not the case; the wording was very similar to that posted above. I refused the warranty, as I despise salesmen who simply lie to your face.

I still feel it is a customer's responsibility to read the fine print in such purchases, but salesmen like this really piss me off.

Last edited by lady400 on 06-20-2004 at 12:09 AM

POST #116 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

JAB is offline Old Post 06-20-2004 12:40 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for JAB Find more posts by JAB Add JAB to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JAB
TiVoist Emeritus

Smile Re: Repair v replacement

quote:
Originally posted by MikeCC
Of course, I suppose the plan can't cover EVERYTHING. If my kids roughhouse and knock the unit onto the floor, the physical damage is not covered. (I have yet to find any performance plan that covers that kind of stuff!)

AFAIK, Dell CompleteCare covers exactly that. It specifically includes accidental damage. I think other computer manufacturers, including IBM, have similar policies.

When I buy laptops for my business, I always get the three-year, next day on-site, complete care type warranties. Worth every penny. I've had IBM repair laptops where an employee's child ripped a key off the keyboard. They've repaired laptops that an employee knocked off a hotel bed or dropped in an airport.

/jab

POST #117 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Dean Martin is offline Old Post 06-20-2004 03:33 AM
Dean Martin

quote:
The CC plan is $65 one time for 3 years, with D* it is $8 a month "forever" - in 3 years you will have paid $288 to D*!!

I had no idea it was that much. Last I saw I thought it was around $60 a year or so. I will say that at least the Directv one does not expire but at that cost I guess I would go for the CC plan.

POST #118 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Starrbuck is offline Old Post 06-20-2004 04:02 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Starrbuck Find more posts by Starrbuck Add Starrbuck to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Starrbuck

quote:
Originally posted by dwynne
The CC plan is $65 one time for 3 years, with D* it is $8 a month "forever" - in 3 years you will have paid $288 to D*!!
Of course, but the DirecTV plan covers all of your receivers, not just the HD TiVo. I've got 4 receivers in all.

I adopted HR10-250 #21 from VE, received at 9:45am CDT on April 22, 2004

POST #119 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Axiom is offline Old Post 06-20-2004 04:28 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Axiom Visit Axiom's homepage! Find more posts by Axiom Add Axiom to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Axiom

quote:
Originally posted by Starrbuck
Of course, but the DirecTV plan covers all of your receivers, not just the HD TiVo. I've got 4 receivers in all.

In my 7+ years with DirecTV, I haven't had a receiver fail or need a repair. I would have paid hundreds of dollars to DirecTV for nothing. I have 6 active receivers and still don't feel the repair plan is worth it.

POST #120 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged