TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Underground Playground > TiVo Upgrade Center
>>> B Drive Failed, How do i revert back! <<<

Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
toxicpenguin is offline Old Post 06-19-2004 05:32 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for toxicpenguin Find more posts by toxicpenguin Add toxicpenguin to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
toxicpenguin

B Drive Failed, How do i revert back!

I have a Tivo 40Hrs, and i put in one of my older 40GB HDD in it to make it 80hrs. Couple of days back it was making very strange noises and it has definately failed. The Screen on the Tivo gets stuck at powering up. I opened the tivo, removed the drive, and reconnected as per the original settings (without updating the software). The tivo now says powering up, then just a few more minutes... and then shuts down. This happens over and over. I do not have a backup image of the drives
How do i undo the 40GB B drive mount to revert back to the original settings? I am OK if the recordings get erased and I have to start from scratch.
Please help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Thanks

POST #1 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Robert S is offline Old Post 06-19-2004 07:22 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Robert S Find more posts by Robert S Add Robert S to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Robert S
TiVo Forum Special Member

The only way to get the TiVo working again is to reimage the good drive from a backup.

POST #2 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

GoodSpike is offline Old Post 06-19-2004 07:47 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for GoodSpike Find more posts by GoodSpike Add GoodSpike to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
GoodSpike

Hopefully you made the backup Robert referred to (and he's very knowledgeable on the subject, so I'd accept what he says).

You'd really be better off getting a single larger drive (maybe a 120 gig if you don't want to deal with the kernel issue). Adding another drive just doubles your chance of hard disc failure, which as you've discovered, sucks. Adding an older drive, as you did, is really risky.

POST #3 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

stevel is offline Old Post 06-19-2004 08:15 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for stevel Visit stevel's homepage! Find more posts by stevel Add stevel to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
stevel
Dumb Blond

Well, he says he didn't make a backup.. If the B drive is truly dead, then restoring from a backup is the only way, as Robert says.

One thousand three hundred thirty-three, zero

POST #4 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

GoodSpike is offline Old Post 06-19-2004 08:22 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for GoodSpike Find more posts by GoodSpike Add GoodSpike to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
GoodSpike

quote:
Originally posted by stevel
Well, he says he didn't make a backup

I missed that. One other advantage of using single drive to go larger is your old drive is the backup (in case your backup fails or gets lost or you don't make it). I have my old drive mounted in the case so I don't have to worry about losing it.

POST #5 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

toxicpenguin is offline Old Post 06-19-2004 11:56 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for toxicpenguin Find more posts by toxicpenguin Add toxicpenguin to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
toxicpenguin

Thanks Robert, I shall buy a 120GB, and PTV's drive replacement CD. I have some work ahead of me. I think the best way is to run the CD on the 40GB, reinstall the kernel, let tivo update, then once everything is working, take the drive out, so the same on the 120GB, and keep the 40GB as a backup, installing only the 120GB. This way I have the 40GB incase anything goes wrong in the future. The only issue is there are no 5400rpm 120GB's, and i hear that the 7200rpm's have a higher chance of failing due to the heat. is that a myth? or is it true? Should I install additional fans?
Thanks again

POST #6 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Gomer Pyle is offline Old Post 06-20-2004 01:55 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Gomer Pyle Find more posts by Gomer Pyle Add Gomer Pyle to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Gomer Pyle

If you just put in one drive, you should be fine even with a 7200 rpm drive. I have 2 160 GB 7200 rpm drives in mine, and have temps around 41 C. Of couse this is in an open rack with ample air flow. If yours is in an enclosed space, you might need to vent the box more.

POST #7 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Robert S is offline Old Post 06-20-2004 06:49 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Robert S Find more posts by Robert S Add Robert S to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Robert S

Well, you could try making a backup now, but you have to backup both drives. If the B drive has really failed, that won't be possible.

POST #8 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

toxicpenguin is offline Old Post 06-20-2004 08:40 AM
toxicpenguin

It has for sure... i took it out and connected it to my computer and it makes a scratching noise, and the computer does not even recognize it, i even tried powermax utility on it... no good. I am pretty sure that it has failed due to excessive heat, it is an IBM drive, with a height of about 1.5 inches, so it was pretty close to the top cover of the tivo, it hardly lasted 7 days in there. So i guess that is my only option then... btw has anyone of you used the PTV software CD?

POST #9 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

GoodSpike is offline Old Post 06-20-2004 07:32 PM
GoodSpike

quote:
Originally posted by toxicpenguin
The only issue is there are no 5400rpm 120GB's, and i hear that the 7200rpm's have a higher chance of failing due to the heat. is that a myth?

Higher chance? Yes. Unacceptable chance? No.

The second drive doubled your chance of failure (and using an old drive more than doubled it). 7200 rpm drives can have very long lives (although if the same drive were somehow spun down to 5400 rpm it would probably last longer). Just buy a decent quality drive (many makers such as Seagate have different model ranges--offering maybe 2 or 3 120 gig drives--buy the higher end drive). Also, the Seagates apparently still come with a 3 year warranty, for what that's worth.

POST #10 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

toxicpenguin is offline Old Post 06-23-2004 06:21 AM
toxicpenguin

Good point. Thanks!! I shall probably get a UPS installed too, for the tivo ... just to be on the safe side, considering it is continously spinning and writing, hope the PTV self install cd does the trick.

POST #11 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

toxicpenguin is offline Old Post 06-23-2004 06:22 AM
toxicpenguin

Just a thought... does the 2MB v/s 8MB caches make any difference whatsoever in the Tivo??

POST #12 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

stevel is offline Old Post 06-23-2004 06:45 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for stevel Visit stevel's homepage! Find more posts by stevel Add stevel to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
stevel
Dumb Blond

No.

One thousand three hundred thirty-three, zero

POST #13 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

GoodSpike is offline Old Post 06-23-2004 06:47 PM
GoodSpike

I just noticed I wrote Seagate rather than Samsung in referring to a three year warranty. I'm not sure what Seagate's current warranty is (and actually I'm relying on the statements of others for Samsung's).

POST #14 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged