TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo UK
>>> RSS Feed - Solution to late schedule changes? <<<

Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
ericd121 is offline Old Post 06-21-2004 08:04 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for ericd121 Visit ericd121's homepage! Find more posts by ericd121 Add ericd121 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ericd121
Crown Topper

Lightbulb RSS Feed - Solution to late schedule changes?

After last week's Big Bother-inspired schedule changes, my thoughts drifted to a possible solution;
RSS Feeds

How difficult would it be for TiVo, Tribune or indeed, someone here (which is the more likely) to create an RSS Feed based on either
Digiguide,
http://www.radiotimes.com/content/schedule_updates/ ,
or the data that Tribune sends out?

I know that RSS is based on XML, and so someone would have to build an RSS Reader for TiVo, or at the very least, create an XSL stylesheet to translate the data back into the TiVo database format, so it would require quite a bit of work, but oh, the joy it would bring!

An RSS Feed allied to a networked Tivo would bring perfection that much closer.

160Gb TiVo + 120Gb TiVo Both with:-
CacheCard + TiVoWeb + Mode 0 + EndPad + Daewoo-DS608P (SetPal) FreeView

POST #1 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

sanderton is offline Old Post 06-21-2004 08:49 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for sanderton Visit sanderton's homepage! Find more posts by sanderton Add sanderton to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
sanderton
TiVoer since 11/2000

You volunteering?

As you can see looking at that link, the RT stuff is not machine readable, so someone would have to rekey the changes and create the XML.

If an XML source was available, it is possible for the corrections to be made to the TiVo database, although it would not be perfect (new programmes being added would not work properly with SPs, for instance).

Check out my hacks, including intelligent automatic padding, background re-prioritise Season Passes in TiVoWeb, make your TiVo send you a daily status e-mail, and other stuff we can't talk about on TC here TiVos: 110Gb + Sky + CacheCard, 160Gb + Freeview + CacheCard, 110Gb + just network (Turbonet & 802.11g)

POST #2 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

ericd121 is offline Old Post 06-22-2004 03:32 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for ericd121 Visit ericd121's homepage! Find more posts by ericd121 Add ericd121 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ericd121
Crown Topper

quote:
Originally posted by sanderton
You volunteering?

Actually, I was rather hoping you would.
Sadly, I do not possess a programmer's brain...
quote:
it would not be perfect (new programmes being added would not work properly with SPs, for instance).
Why not? (He said in all ignorance )
Surely if the new programme had a series ID, and enough time was available for the To-Do List to be re-indexed
(or whatever it's called), it should work the same as the current overnight data update.

Not sure if this is entirely related, but I noticed that Friday night's Glastonbury 2004 prog,
which when I set up the recording wasn't part of a SP, now is.

Wouldn't/couldn't the same process occur with the RSS Data Injection?

POST #3 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

sanderton is offline Old Post 06-22-2004 04:03 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for sanderton Visit sanderton's homepage! Find more posts by sanderton Add sanderton to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
sanderton
TiVoer since 11/2000

Because you would have no idea what the series ID should be. It's the same problem as rolling your own guide data from scratch. Tribune do earn some of their money adding this metadata!

The Glastonbury thing is easy - there's a flag in the database called "Episodic" - if it's true then you can set a SP, if it's false you can't.

Check out my hacks, including intelligent automatic padding, background re-prioritise Season Passes in TiVoWeb, make your TiVo send you a daily status e-mail, and other stuff we can't talk about on TC here TiVos: 110Gb + Sky + CacheCard, 160Gb + Freeview + CacheCard, 110Gb + just network (Turbonet & 802.11g)

POST #4 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

ericd121 is offline Old Post 06-22-2004 05:25 AM
ericd121
Crown Topper

quote:
Originally posted by sanderton
The Glastonbury thing is easy - there's a flag in the database called "Episodic" - if it's true then you can set a SP, if it's false you can't.

Ah. So someone obviously flicked the switch after I'd set up the recording.
quote:
Because you would have no idea what the series ID should be. It's the same problem as rolling your own guide data from scratch. Tribune do earn some of their money adding this metadata!
So, an RSS Feed could be used by Tribune, if TiVo paid them enough
or
an RSS Feed could be used if the Tivo service were suspended, and good fellows such as yourself stepped into the breach to provide Guide Data, as in the Oz model you mentioned some months back.

Indeed, in the latter case, an RSS Feed could be used to provide the entire delivery system, although, I suppose, any sort of push technology would do.

POST #5 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged