TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Off Topic Areas (Non-TiVo) > Happy Hour - General Chit-Chat
>>> Real Money Hump Day TC Forum Poker Tournament! <<<

Pages (6): « Prev 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 Next »  
Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
JohnJr is offline Old Post 06-24-2004 10:22 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for JohnJr Find more posts by JohnJr Add JohnJr to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JohnJr
Blown, cold, over.

Mac,

I can't play two games at once, period. I always imagine those chess masters playing 13 games at once... I am not them.

-John

POST #61 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

JohnJr is offline Old Post 06-24-2004 10:24 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for JohnJr Find more posts by JohnJr Add JohnJr to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JohnJr
Blown, cold, over.

K, at the break, I'm in 29th position now... 271 players left.

-John

POST #62 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

JohnJr is offline Old Post 06-24-2004 10:49 AM
JohnJr
Blown, cold, over.

Welp, I'm out... probably some stupid plays... but final hand I was all-in AQ, vs AT and 77... T flopped.

-John

POST #63 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Breacagan is offline Old Post 06-24-2004 10:50 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Breacagan Find more posts by Breacagan Add Breacagan to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Breacagan
TiVo Forum Special Member

quote:
Originally posted by JohnJr
I have one question from the tourney... there was the one hand where you called Breacagans bet on the river... $1200, and he won with T high? Ya'll may have chatted about it, but I missed the chat. Ya'll were heads up at that point.
Yes, that was a strange hand.

Here it is:

Tournament level - 600/1200

Preflop: Breacagan is Button and posts a blind of 300. Maui is BB and posts a blind of 600.
Breacagan raises, BB (Maui) calls. (4 SB)

Flop: 6h, 2h, 9c
Maui bets, Breacagan calls. (6 SB)

Turn: Jh
Maui bets, Breacagan raises, Maui calls. (7 BB)

River: 6d
Maui checks, Breacagan bets, Maui calls. (9 BB)

Results in white below:
Breacagan shows Tc 8s (one pair, sixes).
Maui mucks 7c 8d (one pair, sixes).
Outcome: Breacagan wins 9 BB.

If you can't beat a bluff, just calling doesn't work. However, the pot is big, and it may be worth a bluff to try to win it. Here are two lines that probably would have worked in this case:

- Bet when the scare card hits on the river. You'll at least beat other busted draws out of the pot, although opponents with a piece of the board will probably call.
- Check-raise the river. It's gutsy, but you might get your opponent to lay down second pair, or possibly even top pair, weak kicker.

If you're not up to either of these, a fold is better than a call. It's definitely a raise-or-fold situation.

What he said. --bsnelson
What he said. --mrpurple
* MarkovBot threatens 404's bicycle with a bic pen

Last edited by Breacagan on 06-24-2004 at 11:03 AM

POST #64 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

JohnJr is offline Old Post 06-24-2004 10:55 AM
JohnJr
Blown, cold, over.

I remember the other... probably stupid on my part... KJo in the SB, re-raised 3xBB raise from 1 before cut-off, to 6xBB ($4800). Flop is AQ9. I'm in early position (sucks!), I bet out $8,000... He raises all-in to $10,000, I call another $2k... he had A7 or something. That was a pretty big hit.

-John

POST #65 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Breacagan is offline Old Post 06-24-2004 10:59 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Breacagan Find more posts by Breacagan Add Breacagan to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Breacagan

Ugh.

I did like your move with AQ on your final hand, though. I saw that one. Your opponent made a horrible call and got very lucky. You had an excellent chance to recover a lot of your losses from the previous hand. (Was the penultimate hand AA vs. AK? I missed that one.)

What he said. --bsnelson
What he said. --mrpurple

POST #66 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Maui is offline Old Post 06-24-2004 11:08 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Maui Find more posts by Maui Add Maui to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Maui
The Eternal Newbie

quote:
Originally posted by Breacagan
Yes, that was a strange hand.

Here it is:

Preflop: Breacagan is Button with Tc, 8s. Breacagan posts a blind of 300.
Breacagan raises, BB (Maui) calls.

Flop: 6h, 2h, 9c
Maui bets, Breacagan calls.

Turn: Jh
Maui bets, Breacagan raises, Maui calls.

River: 6d
Maui checks, Breacagan bets, Maui calls.

Results in white below:
Breacagan shows Tc 8s (one pair, sixes).
Maui mucks 7c 8d (one pair, sixes).
Outcome: Breacagan wins .

If you can't beat a bluff, just calling doesn't work. However, the pot is big, and it may be worth a bluff to try to win it. Here are two lines that probably would have worked in this case:

- Bet when the scare card hits on the river. You'll at least beat other busted draws out of the pot, although opponents with a piece of the board will probably call.
- Check-raise the river. It's gutsy, but you might get your opponent to lay down second pair, or possibly even top pair, weak kicker.

If you're not up to either of these, a fold is better than a call. It's definitely a raise-or-fold situation.

I had the 7 & 8 for the open ended straight draw after the flop. I should have been more aggressive after the river as Byron says to try and take the pot after I missed the straight. I definitely should have bet at the pot if I was planning to call his bet. I played it much too passively and seeing his hand I maybe could have gotten him to fold had I been more aggressive.

Bottom line - I choked

POST #67 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

JohnJr is offline Old Post 06-24-2004 11:11 AM
JohnJr
Blown, cold, over.

Those are the only two big hands I remember, But I did go from 27T chips to 0, very fast.

The AA I posted above was a huge double up for me... 13K chips (decent) in early position... I just raised $400... somebody called, LP reraises $3k... I rereraise all-in. He called with QQ. My AA held up. Busted him.

-John

POST #68 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

JohnJr is offline Old Post 06-24-2004 11:20 AM
JohnJr
Blown, cold, over.

Maui,

Thanks for explaining... you understand our horror at your call on the river? If a T high beats you, that means you had virtually nothing, and you should have either raised or folded on the river. Raise on the bluff, or fold because you are beat. A call there is only good if you think your opponent has a 7 or lower...

-John

POST #69 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Maui is offline Old Post 06-24-2004 11:23 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Maui Find more posts by Maui Add Maui to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Maui
The Eternal Newbie

Yep, I screwed up.

If I had any poker savey or courage I would have bet the river to try and take it.

I still consider myself a bit of a newbie in comparison to you all (i know I play much less) so I do still make really silly mistakes.

But I'm a learnin' as quick as I can

I will say that despite that hand I consider this Tourney to be one of the most aggressive showings I have had and one of the better played ones.

POST #70 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

JohnJr is offline Old Post 06-24-2004 11:28 AM
JohnJr
Blown, cold, over.

You did very well, Maui... and please just take my comments as constructive criticism. And call me Mr. 10th place.

-John

POST #71 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Maui is offline Old Post 06-24-2004 11:32 AM
Maui
The Eternal Newbie

Oh absolutely I take all comments as constructive criticism. They don't bother me at all. I don't know how anyone else ranks me among the regular players here but I personally rank myself below all the regulars and many of the semi-regulars so I am not above taking well intended constructive criticism at all.

Anything to get better.

POST #72 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Breacagan is offline Old Post 06-24-2004 11:35 AM
Breacagan

quote:
But I'm a learnin' as quick as I can

Here is some excellent learning material: "The Eight Mistakes in Poker" by David Sklansky

I used to check the river too often when I missed my draws. Then I read this article and realized the importance of Mistake No. 1. I'll still check the river when I miss my draws against players incapable of laying down bottom pair, but against stronger players, I will very often bet the river with nothing.

In fact, you'll sometimes hear poker commentators talking about a player catching a good card on the end and getting enough of a hand that they can just check the river. This is precisely the situation the commentators are talking about. On the end, you should be much more inclined to bet a hand that is very weak than one that is just barely strong enough to show down.

quote:
I will say that despite that hand I consider this Tourney to be one of the most aggressive showings I have had and one of the better played ones.

I was impressed by your aggression, and it says a lot for your learning so far that you realize that this is one of the keys to successful play.

What he said. --bsnelson
What he said. --mrpurple

POST #73 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

JohnJr is offline Old Post 06-24-2004 11:38 AM
JohnJr
Blown, cold, over.

I rank you #2... until next week. Very good game, Tom.

-John

POST #74 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Maui is offline Old Post 06-24-2004 11:39 AM
Maui
The Eternal Newbie

What I should really do is go over the heads up with Byron. He had the big stack and after a few hands I knew that only luck was going to get me back in the game.

He continually put me to the test by always coming in for a raise pre-flop and making me decide whether the 10 8 (pretty typical of my starting hands heads up) was worth calling a raise with. When I led out and bet he would fold if he didn't have a hand.

It was very well done and it didn't take me long to see what was going on and what a huge uphill battle I was facing.

POST #75 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

JohnJr is offline Old Post 06-24-2004 11:44 AM
JohnJr
Blown, cold, over.

Tom,

Do that... from what I recall, he started with 10K, and you with about 9K. It was pretty even. Then that T8, vs. 78 hand happened. You lost $5400 on that hand, and never recovered.

-John

POST #76 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

scottjf8 is offline Old Post 06-24-2004 07:08 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for scottjf8 Visit scottjf8's homepage! Find more posts by scottjf8 Add scottjf8 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
scottjf8
New Daddy

Last night was a blast.. I can't wait for our next tourney...

Like turtleboy said, I miss our usual Wednesday game and am glad it's back (and for real money too!)

Once word spreads more, I bet we get up to 20 people each week for these games.. one of my friends (a non-TC guy) wants to play, and with purple and his brother, i'm sure others will play too (NatasNJ, pmeyers, etc)

Come see pictures of our new baby!!

TFEDEROV is my daddy!!
Hail to the victors, the University of Michigan

July 2004 TCF Heads Up Poker Champion

Be Very Scared, unless you have the nuts!
--JohnJr

"If you started on your 27th birthday and died on your 60th, you'd have to make 82.97 pounds of poo every day in order to get to $1,000,000. Of course, that's before taxes."
--Steavis

POST #77 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

montag is offline Old Post 06-24-2004 08:18 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for montag Find more posts by montag Add montag to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
montag
Rebel Without a Home

I'd love to join in. As a rookie, I'm sure you guys would love some of my money.

About how long does a tournament last, from start to finish?

POST #78 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

scottjf8 is offline Old Post 06-24-2004 08:27 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for scottjf8 Visit scottjf8's homepage! Find more posts by scottjf8 Add scottjf8 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
scottjf8
New Daddy

Montag - usually a few hours..

Come see pictures of our new baby!!

TFEDEROV is my daddy!!
Hail to the victors, the University of Michigan

July 2004 TCF Heads Up Poker Champion

Be Very Scared, unless you have the nuts!
--JohnJr

"If you started on your 27th birthday and died on your 60th, you'd have to make 82.97 pounds of poo every day in order to get to $1,000,000. Of course, that's before taxes."
--Steavis

POST #79 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Unsuited is offline Old Post 06-24-2004 08:53 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Unsuited Find more posts by Unsuited Add Unsuited to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Unsuited
Mainly ignorant.

If I would have had to predict it before the tourney I think I would have had 2 out of the top 3 correct...

Breacagan just because heck... None of the rest of us dared the limits he did in Vegas!

Smak because he always seemed to have a decent pile of chips in front of him whenever I saw him. Plus I make it a habit of not openly picking against anyone who could grind me into dust.

But watch out... I'm laying the groundwork for the ability to be in this upcoming tourney! What good is being management if you can't slip into work a few hours late every now and again???

Montag - You're not the one from RoK, are you?

POST #80 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged