TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Main TiVo Forums > DIRECTV Receiver with TiVo
>>> multiswitch confusion <<<

Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
kschaffer is offline Old Post 06-22-2004 02:49 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for kschaffer Find more posts by kschaffer Add kschaffer to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
kschaffer

multiswitch confusion

I read the faq and am still confused. I apologize for the newbie question.

Until this weekend, I had the round dish, a 4x8 multiswitch with two lines running to it from the satellite, and two rooms with directv, one TIVO and one receiver.

I added on a room to my house and considered the new HDTivo (new HD TV), but couldn't swing the finances. I ordered a Tivo through directv and figured, hey, while they were here, I might as well get the oval dish. That way, when I can afford the hdtivo, I can just swap out the box with no installation necessary. Directv offered to do this at no charge. Sweet!

The guy came and installed the tivo in the new room, no prob.

Outside, he replaced the round dish with an oval dish. He DID NOT run any more lines though. He said that, since I already had a multiswitch, I was all set. So, there are 2 lines coming from the oval dish into the house, where the multiswitch sends off 5 lines to the various rooms.

Is that correct? Do I need 4 lines run to the multiswitch?

I ask because, when he was tuning, we only got the 101 satellite. He could not find the 110 or 119. I said "isn't it because we need to run 2 more lines?" and he said "no ,trust me".

He claimed the problem was that the current mounting position wasn't great for the oval dish. He wanted to move it to a different location, but then he didn't have the correct "hexagonal" wrench to unbolt the bracket.
I had lost confidence in him and said "don't worry, I'm not getting HD yet anyway, so just leave it as is".

Also, my signal strength, which was in the 90-94 ranges, is now in the low-80s. Every now and then I see pixellation (say, 3 times in the last 3 days). Never did that before. The spouse is saying "if the oval dish didn't add anything now, why did we do it if it just made the signal worse". Hmm.

I want to confirm my facts. My next step, I think, will be to call back and tell them the installation was not acceptable, and to send someone else back to finish the job.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts/ replies!

POST #1 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

rminsk is offline Old Post 06-22-2004 02:52 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for rminsk Find more posts by rminsk Add rminsk to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
rminsk
TiVo Forum Special Member

All for lines need to be run from the dish to the multiswitch. The installer does not know what he is doing.

POST #2 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

rlj5242 is offline Old Post 06-22-2004 02:56 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for rlj5242 Find more posts by rlj5242 Add rlj5242 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
rlj5242
Advanced Member

quote:
He said that, since I already had a multiswitch, I was all set.
Since he didn't change your switch, he needs to come back and run two more lines to the switch location. He also needs to swap your switch for a 4x8 or 5x8 CASCADABLE switch.

-Robert

POST #3 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

JimSpence is offline Old Post 06-22-2004 03:10 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for JimSpence Visit JimSpence's homepage! Find more posts by JimSpence Add JimSpence to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JimSpence

I wish that installers would do their homework. This one should have known that you need all four lines from the oval dish run to a cascadable multiswitch in order to get all three satellites.

Waivers for all four nets are in place.
I'm suspicious of newbies, but tolerant!
And, just because I have a bunch of posts doesn't mean I'm always right.
Add 1231 for accurate post count.

POST #4 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

csyria is offline Old Post 06-22-2004 12:10 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for csyria Visit csyria's homepage! Find more posts by csyria Add csyria to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
csyria
200 posts down...

One question

Why is a cascadable switch important if you aren't going to have MSs after it?

POST #5 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

rminsk is offline Old Post 06-22-2004 12:21 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for rminsk Find more posts by rminsk Add rminsk to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
rminsk

A cascadable multiswitch will generate the 22 Hz tone on two of the lines to get to the other satellites.

POST #6 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

DrEvil is offline Old Post 06-22-2004 01:22 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for DrEvil Find more posts by DrEvil Add DrEvil to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DrEvil
Evil Member

A cascadeable 4 (or 5) x8 multiswitch is required with a Phase III type oval dish because there is a four output multiswitch built into the dish.

Without a cascadable multiswitch or two 22kHz tone generators even with four cables run from the oval dish to the multiswitch the 110/119 satellites can not be switched to.

HDVR2 - unmodified - for now! (Unsubscribed backup receiver)
HDVR2 - unmodified - for now!
SVR-2000 - 298Hrs basic 81Hrs best Two 120Gb 5400rpm Western Digital WD1200AB Drives (Unsubscribed)

POST #7 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

davsherm is offline Old Post 06-22-2004 03:23 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for davsherm Find more posts by davsherm Add davsherm to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
davsherm
Now w/o HD Tivo :(

When I replaced my round dish with the oval dish, my signal strength went from the high 80's low 90's with round dish to the mid to high 90's with the oval dish. I think most people see better strength with a properly aimed oval dish because it is a little bit bigger. I also ran all four lines inside to my Terk 5x8 MS.

POST #8 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

kschaffer is offline Old Post 06-23-2004 01:21 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for kschaffer Find more posts by kschaffer Add kschaffer to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
kschaffer

Ok - original poster here.

Motivated by your responses, I just called DirecTV to express my dissatisfaction with the installation.

They told me that the installer was correct, that only two lines need to be run, as long as my multiswitch is cascadable. I don't know if it is or isn't. The directv person guesses it isn't, so they're sending someone to swap it out for a cascadable one.

Funny thing is that I trust you all 1000% more than the people who work there! I guess I'll have to see what happens when they come out again.

Curious to see if it works after this swap. Otherwise, I'm not letting the installer leave until 4 lines are coming into my house!!

POST #9 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

rminsk is offline Old Post 06-23-2004 01:44 AM
rminsk

If you want to see all 3 satellites on all your receivers all four lines need to be run to the multiswitch. While it will work running two line to the multiswitch the receivers on the multiswitch will not be able to see all the satellites. The satellites they will see will be based on the two inputs they use on the multiswitch. The receivers with the two direct lines from the dish will see all four satellites.

After all that... all four lines must run to the cascadable multiswitch.

POST #10 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

bcoutlander is offline Old Post 06-26-2004 09:55 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for bcoutlander Find more posts by bcoutlander Add bcoutlander to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bcoutlander

I have an additional question along these lines. We had our system(Oval dish + 3LNBs) installed back in January and everything worked fine. Once 7s went on-line we have had all sorts of problems with error messages like:
When we switch to one of the locals a message pops up saying Serching for Signal on Sat 2 or sat1.
Or we get the message telling us that this channel is not available.

I just checked out the install and see that the installer only ran 2 lines from the dish to the multi-switch in the basement. And the switch is only a 3x4 one.

Is this source of our problems now that our Dtivo is trying to use signals from all 3 sats? Is this causing all the transponders to not get to our Dtivo or regular Directv receiver? These messages have been popping up on both.

POST #11 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

rlj5242 is offline Old Post 06-26-2004 10:52 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for rlj5242 Find more posts by rlj5242 Add rlj5242 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
rlj5242
Advanced Member

quote:
We had our system(Oval dish + 3LNBs) installed back in January and everything worked fine.
Probably because your locals were on a CONUS beam at 101.

quote:
Once 7s went on-line we have had all sorts of problems
They moved all of the CONUS beam locals to 7S.

quote:
I just checked out the install and see that the installer only ran 2 lines from the dish to the multi-switch in the basement. And the switch is only a 3x4 one.
That's your problem. When you tune to a channel that's on the 119 satellite, the receiver sends a 22khz tone to the switch causing it to connect to the 119 LNB. Your 3x4 switch stops the tone from reaching the Phase III dish. A cascadable switch has 4 inputs. The two 101 inputs for left and right hand polarized frequencies and the two 110/119 inputs for left and right hand polarized frequencies. The 110/119 inputs also send a 22khz tone to the dish to make those two lines connect to the 110/119 LNBs.

Since you only need 4 outputs, just run two more cables and remove your switch. If you need more than 4 outputs a cascadable switch is required.

-Robert

POST #12 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Bigg is offline Old Post 06-27-2004 12:59 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Bigg Find more posts by Bigg Add Bigg to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bigg
Advanced Member

AS far as the signal strength, the dish is not aimed right. Finish the installation yourself or call D* and tell them to send a knowledgeable installer out that can install a satellite system properly.

POST #13 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged