Registered: Apr 2003
HD TiVo or HD Rcvr+SA TiVo/DVDR?
Hi everyone. I am in a bit of a quandary and would appreciate anyone’s help.
I will soon be upgrading my bedroom setup to accommodate a new LCD HDTV (Sharp LC-26GA4U or LC-32G4U… probably the former because of space limitations) and would like to fully take advantage of it by changing out my DirecTiVo (DSR7000) for one of two new setups:
1) Buy an HD TiVo only (let’s pretend that a $1000 purchase and the word only can be used in the same sentence.)
2) Buy a DirecTV HD Receiver (any equipment suggestions here?) and pair it with a SA TiVo unit (the Pioneer TiVo/DVD-R combo).
If I get #1, I won’t have enough money to get a DVD recorder (which is fine because I couldn’t burn HD footage to a DVD anyways). However, I would have HDMI to connect to the new TV, which would be great, plus the core TiVo functions that I currently have perfectly and digitally paired with DirecTV.
If I go the second route, I would connect the component output (or DVI or HDMI output if available) of the HD Receiver directly to the TV for live HD viewing, and would connect a second output connection (S-Video, R/L audio) to the inputs on the SA TiVo unit (so that I could maintain TiVo functionality and burn DVDs of non-HD broadcasts.) Additionally with this arrangement, I could take full advantage of TiVo’s Series2 features like Photo, Music sharing and Remote Scheduling (the latter I really, really, really want.)
Beyond giving me recommendations between these two options, I also have a few other questions for anyone feeling extra generous…
- The connections I have outlined in setup #2 can be done, right? That is, the HD receiver can output two connections simultaneously, allowing me to TiVo normally while also allowing me to watch live HD whenever I want (by changing the TV’s input).
- As far as HD receivers go, does anyone have any recommendations on which model to choose for the #2 setup? To be specific, I would really like one with HDMI, yet can’t find one in my research yet… anyone have any pre-release info?
- If I set the SA TiVo to always record at the highest quality setting, will I notice any downgrade in PQ between this #2 setup and my current DSR7000 (which obviously has no quality setting and always records at DirecTV’s digital quality)?
- Does anyone have any information regarding DirecTV’s future adoption of Series2 features in their TiVo units (or, for that matter, even upgrading to TiVo’s latest software release for the SA units)? If DTV plans on making some of these features available, it would make giving up all of these features that a SA TiVo can offer much easier.
Thanks so much for reading this far and hearing me out. Hopefully someone can help me, as I really don’t want to regret this decision down the line. Thanks again…
POST #1 | Report this post to a moderator
| IP: Logged