TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
>>> tivo connect beacon not available <<<

Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
jes91504 is offline Old Post 06-24-2004 09:02 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for jes91504 Find more posts by jes91504 Add jes91504 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jes91504

tivo connect beacon not available

I know this has been covered, but all the posts, as well as the article on the support web site, concern Windows XP. What if one gets the "tivo connect beacon not available" error on Windows 98 SE? No, I have no software firewall, though the router has a hardware firewall.

The PC is accessing the network fine, the Tivo is accessing the network fine, but no luck with Tivo Desktop.

Thanks.

POST #1 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

TiVoBill is offline Old Post 06-24-2004 11:00 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for TiVoBill Visit TiVoBill's homepage! Find more posts by TiVoBill Add TiVoBill to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
TiVoBill
Advanced Member

Re: tivo connect beacon not available

quote:
Originally posted by jes91504
I know this has been covered, but all the posts, as well as the article on the support web site, concern Windows XP. What if one gets the "tivo connect beacon not available" error on Windows 98 SE? No, I have no software firewall, though the router has a hardware firewall.

The PC is accessing the network fine, the Tivo is accessing the network fine, but no luck with Tivo Desktop.

Thanks.

We are aware of an issue that can cause the symptoms you mention. If you have a lot of services starting up with Windows, the TiVo Server service may time out during startup. That will cause the "TiVo Beacon Unavailable" message to appear. The only current workaround is to start TiVo server manually from TiVo Desktop after startup has been completed. You might also try to reduce the number of services starting up to reduce the likelihood of that happening. The developers are aware of that issue and hope to be able to make it less likely in future versions of TiVo Desktop.

POST #2 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

jes91504 is offline Old Post 06-24-2004 11:16 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for jes91504 Find more posts by jes91504 Add jes91504 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jes91504

Thanks for the reply.

However, if I try and start the TiVo server manually from within the TiVo publisher, I get the same message. There is a pause, like something is timing out, but it fails this way as well.

POST #3 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Webchump is offline Old Post 06-24-2004 11:21 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Webchump Find more posts by Webchump Add Webchump to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Webchump
All In

Re: Re: tivo connect beacon not available

Originally posted by TiVoBill

quote:
[The developers are aware of that issue and hope to be able to make it less likely in future versions of TiVo Desktop.

I'm just surprised to hear that there are going to be future versions! Its been TOO long.

POST #4 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

TiVoBill is offline Old Post 06-25-2004 12:10 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for TiVoBill Visit TiVoBill's homepage! Find more posts by TiVoBill Add TiVoBill to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
TiVoBill
Advanced Member

quote:
Originally posted by jes91504
Thanks for the reply.

However, if I try and start the TiVo server manually from within the TiVo publisher, I get the same message. There is a pause, like something is timing out, but it fails this way as well.

If you get it when you try to start the server from TiVo Publisher as well, the service may not be able to start for some other reason. I'm not familiar with how services are managed in Windows 98 so I'm afraid I can't be of further help in that area.

POST #5 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

jes91504 is offline Old Post 06-25-2004 08:05 AM
jes91504

After reading some similar threads in other forums here, the topic of ports seemed to be a possibility. So I disabled CookieCop, which serves as a proxy to block cookies and pop-ups, and then the TiVo server worked fine.

Now I just need to replace the Netgear MA111 adapter with one that doesn't drop the connection every few minutes...

POST #6 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged