TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo UK
>>> Cachecard - network or dialup schedules.. <<<

Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
magyosha is offline Old Post 06-24-2004 11:55 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for magyosha Visit magyosha's homepage! Find more posts by magyosha Add magyosha to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
magyosha

Cachecard - network or dialup schedules..

Hi All :-)
so my tivo is now happily on the net .. nice and secure behind a linksys cable modem router with port forawinding setup .. thanks you all for the help on that ...

Unable to decide on the best method of updating the program guide..

what difference's are there between the guide data send by tivo on the freephone number(dialup) and the network connection ...
am i right in assuming that getting it via network it comes from digiguide or is it still from tivo?
and will it then lose the tivo enhanced bits ? armchair etc .. film recomendations . inside tivo . etc

will updating via network also stop any channel updates or messages sent by tivo ? as obviosly i'm not dialing into them ..

is there any advantage of subscribing to (paying) digiguide over just letting it get the info free ? .. i saw someone mention a hack mod they used with tivo web where they input the digiguide subsrition info ,, do they have more info on programs or anything ?
and how does tivo check my subscription status if i'm not dialing them ? not that it should affect me as i have lifetime sub on box .

Last edited by magyosha on 06-25-2004 at 12:13 AM

POST #1 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Fred Smith is offline Old Post 06-25-2004 12:11 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Fred Smith Find more posts by Fred Smith Add Fred Smith to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Fred Smith
Still learning

If you update over the net you are still connecting to TiVo's servers so it will be the same a making a telephone call.

DigiGuide can be used to setup manual recordings in a semi automatic way with TiVoweb. DigiGuide by itself is very useful tool with or without TiVo.

Panasonic DRME-85HEBS, Labgear DTT 100 SetPal RGB, TechniSat CAM 1 Plus (Astra 1 & Hotbird) composite video, Pace MSS-100 (Astra 1) composite video.

Philips DVDR 70, Pace BSB 2200 RGB, SkyEye T-Vo, Labgear DTT 100 SetPal composite video, Amstrad SRD 510 (Astra 1) composite video.

POST #2 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

iankb is offline Old Post 06-25-2004 12:13 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for iankb Find more posts by iankb Add iankb to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
iankb
TiVo Forum Special Member

The guide data is identical by both methods, and both come from the US via the internet. The dial-up actually connects to the internet in the UK before transferring to the US. Use the network since it is faster, doesn't tie up your 'phone line, and saves money for TiVo, so extending the life of the service.

For gold text on leather in TiVoWeb, try the redbook, bluebook, greenbook and blackbook themes, now updated with button menus

POST #3 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged