TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Underground Playground > TiVo Upgrade Center
>>> Preserving recordings when upgrading from 120gb to 160gb <<<

Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
aklock is offline Old Post 06-25-2004 02:31 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for aklock Find more posts by aklock Add aklock to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
aklock

Preserving recordings when upgrading from 120gb to 160gb

I am assuming I just need to adjust the command string slightly...searched the archives but haven't stumbled across anything yet.

Primary Master: New 160gb
Secondary Master: Old 120gb

Tried to do a pipe backup using:

mfsbackup -Tao - /dev/hdc | mfsrestore -s 127 -xzpi - /dev/hda

Result:
Restore failed: Backup target not large enough for entire backup by itself.

TIA!

SAT-HD200

POST #1 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

TrojanHorse is offline Old Post 06-25-2004 02:33 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for TrojanHorse Find more posts by TrojanHorse Add TrojanHorse to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
TrojanHorse
Time Bandit

I can't remember why, because it was a year ago, but when I upgraded from 40gb to 120 gb I had to use DD to get the contents onto the new disk, and then expand the 120 gb drive to capacity. It took forever. YMMV.

POST #2 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

aklock is offline Old Post 06-25-2004 03:09 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for aklock Find more posts by aklock Add aklock to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
aklock

Had hoped to avoid dd...

Oh well, giving that a try with:
dd if=/dev/hdc of=/dev/hda bs 1024k

with:
hda: new tivo A drive (160gb)
hdc: old tivo A drive (120gb)

now in the dead zone of dd with no feedback.

Question: Will I need to expand this new drive? Or is it a true replica of the old A and therefore already expanded? Seems to me that the reason I could not use the pipe backup with an already expanded A drive (no more partitions available) would still prevent me from expanding after a successful dd operation.

SAT-HD200

POST #3 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

TrojanHorse is offline Old Post 06-25-2004 03:30 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for TrojanHorse Find more posts by TrojanHorse Add TrojanHorse to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
TrojanHorse
Time Bandit

I had to expand mine to get more than 40gb... but you've exhausted my limited knowledge already. I read in another thread today where somebody used dd_rescue to get the file onto another hard drive and avoid the whole "out of partitions" issue that you are up against.

POST #4 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

TrojanHorse is offline Old Post 06-25-2004 03:30 AM
TrojanHorse
Time Bandit

I had to expand mine to get more than 40gb... but you've exhausted my limited knowledge already. I read in another thread today where somebody used dd_rescue to get the file onto another hard drive and avoid the whole "out of partitions" issue that you are up against.

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-v...368#post1598368

Unfortunately, I'm just parroting what I saw - I don't completely understand it so it may be completely inappropriate.

POST #5 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Ladd Morse is offline Old Post 06-25-2004 03:35 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Ladd Morse Find more posts by Ladd Morse Add Ladd Morse to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ladd Morse

Re: Preserving recordings when upgrading from 120gb to 160gb

quote:
Originally posted by aklock
I am assuming I just need to adjust the command string slightly...searched the archives but haven't stumbled across anything yet
The process and commands I used to upgrade my Phillips Series 1 from 120GB to 250GB (while preserving all recordings) can be found here:
Post #535: 160gb limit, lba48, etc. Discussion Thread which is "stickied" at the top of the Underground. Perhaps it might be of some use to you.

313 hours Basic quality

POST #6 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Robert S is offline Old Post 06-25-2004 07:12 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Robert S Find more posts by Robert S Add Robert S to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Robert S
TiVo Forum Special Member

If you drop the 'x' from the restore side of the pipe, MFS Tools will copy the recordings across.

You've filled up the partition table on the A drive (see mr396's thread just below). There's no way to keep your recordings AND expand AND remain in a single-drive configuration (although you can do any two of those three things).

POST #7 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged