TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
>>> Serial cable/IR Blaster <<<

Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
ThePhantomsGirl is offline Old Post 06-25-2004 05:24 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for ThePhantomsGirl Visit ThePhantomsGirl's homepage! Find more posts by ThePhantomsGirl Add ThePhantomsGirl to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ThePhantomsGirl
who me?

Serial cable/IR Blaster

Hi,

I've just moved and want to try and hook up my TiVo to my cable box. I don't have either the IR blaster or a serial cable - can't find them as I never used them when I got my TiVo.

Where can I get them? Radio Shack has NO idea of what I'm asking for. First I want to see if I can use the serial connection (my cable company uses the Motorola DCT200). If that doesn't work - I want to try an IR Blaster....

But where the heck can I GET these items?

Smiles,

Holly

POST #1 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

stevel is offline Old Post 06-25-2004 06:10 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for stevel Visit stevel's homepage! Find more posts by stevel Add stevel to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
stevel
Dumb Blond

My favorite source is Worthington Distribution - you want the Xantech 282M. You will have to call them to order. Another source is Smarthome.com. Then there's always the TiVo Store, under Accessories.

One thousand three hundred thirty-three, zero

POST #2 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

ccwf is offline Old Post 06-27-2004 03:37 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for ccwf Visit ccwf's homepage! Find more posts by ccwf Add ccwf to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ccwf
Good holiday spirit!

TiVo's serial cable is also reportedly equivalent to the serial cables used for some digital cameras, PDAs, calculators, and so forth.

TiVo Help Forumsfeatured member
TC-Con '05, June 13
中日韓 Chinese/Japanese/Korean Dramas board admin

Tristana Moore, BBC News: Arts promoter Christof Blaesius wants to rebuild the [Berlin] wall and have it decorated by artists from around the world. The idea is proving controversial.

POST #3 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

classicsat is offline Old Post 06-28-2004 03:23 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for classicsat Find more posts by classicsat Add classicsat to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
classicsat
Astute User

Not quite. While the serial cables for those devices may work alone to connect a Tivo to a PC (the one for my camera does). The stock Tivo cable requires a null modem gender changer to connect to a PC. IO< the camera cable I have has a female 9 pin plug, the stock Tivo has a male 9 pin plug (as to connect to the female serial port on Sony DirecTV and Motorola cable boxes).

POST #4 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

ccwf is offline Old Post 06-28-2004 03:34 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for ccwf Visit ccwf's homepage! Find more posts by ccwf Add ccwf to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ccwf
Good holiday spirit!

quote:
Originally posted by classicsat
While the serial cables for those devices may work alone to connect a Tivo to a PC (the one for my camera does). The stock Tivo cable requires a null modem gender changer to connect to a PC.
Oops, you are correct. (But doesn't everyone have spare null modem adapters and/or gender changers lying around? )

TiVo Help Forumsfeatured member
TC-Con '05, June 13
中日韓 Chinese/Japanese/Korean Dramas board admin

Tristana Moore, BBC News: Arts promoter Christof Blaesius wants to rebuild the [Berlin] wall and have it decorated by artists from around the world. The idea is proving controversial.

POST #5 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

ThreeSoFar is offline Old Post 06-28-2004 04:22 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for ThreeSoFar Find more posts by ThreeSoFar Add ThreeSoFar to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ThreeSoFar
FourNowActually

Another vote for Worthington. But you can order online. The password is "dealer".

Four TiVos now, all with single Samsung drives:
Humax DRT800 w/DVD-R (174hrs)
Two older Series 2's (142hrs and 157hrs),and a newer nightlight
Series 2, a stupid case design IMO (174hrs)
All but the last are lifetimed. TiVite since 2000. There is a Good IR solution.

Got Vonage 4/9/03--need a referral credit?

POST #6 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

classicsat is offline Old Post 06-28-2004 08:27 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for classicsat Find more posts by classicsat Add classicsat to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
classicsat
Astute User

quote:
Originally posted by ccwf
Oops, you are correct. (But doesn't everyone have spare null modem adapters and/or gender changers lying around? )

Not always, nor do they always understand them. They trust that what they purchased is what will work.

Me, when I can, I buy adaptors in the snap-together shells so I can rewire the innards as needed. At that I have built a DE9 F-F null gender changer, simply requiring a 9 pin serial cable to communicate between PCs (and possibly with a stock Tivo serial cable, if I had one)

POST #7 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged