TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Main TiVo Forums > DIRECTV Receiver with TiVo
>>> Ok - very BEST deal from customer retention? <<<

Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Jeff Lackey is offline Old Post 06-25-2004 06:09 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Jeff Lackey Find more posts by Jeff Lackey Add Jeff Lackey to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jeff Lackey

Ok - very BEST deal from customer retention?

OK - I got taken out by the company that I worked for for 20 years, my wife and kids are devastated that we have to move away from home to a new city with my new job, so I'm looking for every "good" thing I can get from being forced to move. One of those is what I seem to understand you can get from DTV on a move to a new city.

I have been a Direct TV subscriber for about 9 years. I would love to get Tivo. So - we're moving end of July, and I want to call someone at DirectTV and see what I can get from this move. My understanding is that I should call the Customer Rentention number (and I can't seem to find that with the search I just did - what is it?) and tell them (and this is truthful) that I'm moving and thus looking at all of my options, including moving to Dish.

So what is the very best that I can ask for and expect to get? Including a free or cheap Tivo unit? (I assume I can only get one from them, so I'll buy a second one and ask them to hook it up also when we have DTV installed in the new home.)

Thanks - Jeff

POST #1 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Gomer Pyle is offline Old Post 06-25-2004 07:50 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Gomer Pyle Find more posts by Gomer Pyle Add Gomer Pyle to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Gomer Pyle

1-800-600-8977

I think a free TiVo is easy to get, along with $5 off HBO and free Showtime for 6 months.

Or you could go for $250 off an HDTiVo, but you might not want to cough up the other $750 right now...

Supposedly not settling on the first call, and going for more later works. Check threads in the HDTV section for many bargaining ideas...

POST #2 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

vaporware is offline Old Post 06-25-2004 08:09 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for vaporware Find more posts by vaporware Add vaporware to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
vaporware

I got a tivo for $49, 2 new receivers, a new multisat dish and a 5x8 powered multiswitch for free. I also got $10 off per month for 6 months.

POST #3 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

phone1 is offline Old Post 06-25-2004 12:48 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for phone1 Find more posts by phone1 Add phone1 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
phone1
?????????

$25 gets new installation under the Movers Program. That includes new dish and cable where needed. I'd start there and ask about the cost to add TiVo. If not satisfactory, contact customer retention and mention that you're looking at Dish's free DVR for new customers.

Sorry to hear about your forced relocation. Welcome to the TiVolution!

Best Universal Remote (for the money - $18): OFA URC-6131

POST #4 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

bob330i is offline Old Post 06-25-2004 10:45 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for bob330i Find more posts by bob330i Add bob330i to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bob330i
just lurking...

quote:
Originally posted by vaporware
I got a tivo for $49, 2 new receivers, a new multisat dish and a 5x8 powered multiswitch for free. I also got $10 off per month for 6 months.

Isn't this one of the standard new customer offers? I think I saw this deal (up to 4 rooms) from Expert Satallite.

UPDATE: Yay, no more damn A/B cable. two DTivos. I'm lovin' it!

POST #5 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

cbordman is offline Old Post 06-25-2004 11:00 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for cbordman Find more posts by cbordman Add cbordman to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
cbordman
Turn your key!!

quote:
Originally posted by vaporware

You can get this deal at www.valueelectronics.com

POST #6 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

threeonparfive is offline Old Post 06-25-2004 11:00 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for threeonparfive Find more posts by threeonparfive Add threeonparfive to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
threeonparfive

I had DTV but cancelled about 2 years ago. I'm still considered an existing customer to them. I had an 18" dish with 2 DTivos (which I sold) and a plain receiver. I called in during the day to see what kind of deal I could get to get reconnected with a free install oval dish and that I was going to buy 2 new DTivos from Best Buy at $100/each (new or existing customers) to have them install and my plain receiver. The girl I spoke with during the day wouldn't work with me at all because I was buying the new recievers from Best Buy. She said they couldn't offer free installs unless I was buying direct from them.

I called back in later that night and got a guy who I gave the same story to. He said that there was no problem and that I would get a free install of the oval dish with 5 lines (2 dual tuner Tivos and a standard box), plus $5 off for 6 months, Showtime free for 6 months, and HBO at $2/month for 6 months. I took that deal. They are coming to install next week.

POST #7 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

vaporware is offline Old Post 06-26-2004 01:15 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for vaporware Find more posts by vaporware Add vaporware to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
vaporware

quote:
Originally posted by bob330i
Isn't this one of the standard new customer offers? I think I saw this deal (up to 4 rooms) from Expert Satallite.

Yep but I've been a customer for 9 years. So existing subscribers can get it if they try.

POST #8 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

gsslug is offline Old Post 06-26-2004 03:41 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for gsslug Find more posts by gsslug Add gsslug to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
gsslug

I've heard that they want you to leave your old dish behind and let them put up a new one at your new residence. I have also heard that people left behind a 3 LNB dish with more than the standard four outputs multiswitch and got only a single LNB dish installed at the new residence. Just make sure they will at least match what you have........and get it in writing.

POST #9 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

TrojanHorse is offline Old Post 06-26-2004 04:08 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for TrojanHorse Find more posts by TrojanHorse Add TrojanHorse to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
TrojanHorse
Time Bandit

Well, compared to those of us who purchased DTiVos over a year ago, they are PRACTICALLY free now... they offered me a replacement for $49, so perhaps you can get that.

They also seem to be liberal with the programming credits if you have premium channels... I added HD and got $10 off HBA, free showtime, and $5 off a month from my total choice, coupled with a discount from the retail price of the HD tuner.

Dish's PVR stinks compared to DTV, but maybe that's changed recently. 1 tuner and no season passes...

POST #10 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Jeff Lackey is offline Old Post 06-26-2004 08:24 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Jeff Lackey Find more posts by Jeff Lackey Add Jeff Lackey to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jeff Lackey

Thanks for the replies. I currently have two IRDs, no Tivo, HBO, total choice plus or some such. What I want to go to in the new house is three IRDs (Den, bedroom, basement) and Tivo in two of the rooms, and the best programming deal I can get. I assume I'll have to purchase 1 Tivo on my own - sounds like the best deal you can get from DTV is only on one Tivo.

Whats the advantage of the Oval dish if my locals (chicago area) are on the standard?

POST #11 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

funeral is offline Old Post 06-27-2004 03:06 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for funeral Find more posts by funeral Add funeral to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
funeral

I got a free DirecTivo late last year. I called the regualr number and told them that if I switched to DISH I could get a free PVR and that I would prefer to stay a customer but did not want to shell out the $100 for a PVR when someone else would give me one for free. Within a few minutes the deal was done, I paid $15 for shipping and handling and a guy came and installed the splitter and Dtivo the following weekend.

Don't threaten, be nice and you will be amazed what you can get.

POST #12 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged