TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Main TiVo Forums > HDTV TiVo Powered PVRs
>>> Strange scaling problem. <<<

Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Kamakzie is offline Old Post 06-25-2004 11:39 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Kamakzie Find more posts by Kamakzie Add Kamakzie to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Kamakzie
TiVo Forum Special Member

Strange scaling problem.

I have this HP 23 inch widescreen monitor and it does HD through component connections. It is actually a 16:10 monitor and not 16:9. There is a option in the monitor config to scale the screen to fill the aspect ration which should leave a black strip on the top and bottom of the screen. However it still fills the screen which means it stretches it a little. Does the HD Tivo overwrite the setting and fills the screen anyways? If so is there a way to fix it? It doesn't look awful but I would like to keep the aspect ratio the way it should be. Is there a way to make the Tivo do 1920X1080? My component cable is 25 feet so maybe its not rated high enough? The reason the cable is so long is because my computer desk is across the room from where my Tivo is.

POST #1 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Kamakzie is offline Old Post 06-26-2004 12:16 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Kamakzie Find more posts by Kamakzie Add Kamakzie to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Kamakzie

P.s. the way it's doing now is actually 1920x1200 I think.

POST #2 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

JohnTivo is offline Old Post 06-26-2004 12:56 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for JohnTivo Find more posts by JohnTivo Add JohnTivo to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JohnTivo
Advanced Member

I doubt the HR10 is doing anything but sending the normal 16:9 image... The component connections have no way of communicating back info to the HR10. I suspect it is your monitor that is not behaving correctly.

Have you tried using the different resolutions on the HR10? 480p, 720p or 1080i?

POST #3 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Kamakzie is offline Old Post 06-26-2004 01:06 AM
Kamakzie

Yep, They all do it in fullscreen on the monitor.

POST #4 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

JohnTivo is offline Old Post 06-26-2004 02:32 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for JohnTivo Find more posts by JohnTivo Add JohnTivo to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JohnTivo
Advanced Member

Which model do you have anyway? It might be a pain, but have you tried connecting via DVI?

POST #5 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Kamakzie is offline Old Post 06-26-2004 02:38 AM
Kamakzie

No I can't because I don't have a DVI cable that's long enough. I have an HP L2335

POST #6 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

JohnTivo is offline Old Post 06-26-2004 03:10 AM
JohnTivo
Advanced Member

I read through the manual, it states it is a 16:9 monitor? Regardless, It also said that it can handle native HDTV signals via the component inputs.

Have you tried the auto adjust option? What if you manual adjust the image via the Vertical postition option? What happens when set to One-to-One via the Custom Scaling option?

POST #7 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Kamakzie is offline Old Post 06-26-2004 03:25 AM
Kamakzie

The auto button doesn't do anything but I have tried one to one and it still fills the screen. The manual states 16:9 but the guys over at AVS that have the monitor claim that is wrong and that it's really 16:10. My friend just came over and he didn't notice much stretching when we were watching TV so I guess maybe it only stretches it a tiny amount. 1200-1080=120. So not to much. It would be nice to get it to do the right ratio though.

POST #8 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Kamakzie is offline Old Post 06-26-2004 03:36 AM
Kamakzie

Vertical sync is grayed out on both DVI for my PC and component.

POST #9 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

JohnTivo is offline Old Post 06-26-2004 04:29 AM
JohnTivo
Advanced Member

I just read the thread over at AVS... I bet the monitor is limited in its ability when using component inputs. I'm not an expert, but unless the monitor has an option that allows you to set the resolution, there is no way for the monitor to know what it is being fed when using the component inputs. Everything is getting scaled to 1920x1200.

What does the image look like on SD channels when the HR10 is set to 480i? Does it stretch those too? I would assume to some degree it does...

POST #10 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Kamakzie is offline Old Post 06-26-2004 04:36 AM
Kamakzie

If I have the Tivo set to full then it does stretch it to full screen, otherwise it throws up black bars on the side in panel mode. I guess I can't complain much the picture does look really good.

POST #11 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Kamakzie is offline Old Post 06-26-2004 05:08 AM
Kamakzie

John, strange I was just watching Star Trek: Nemesis on Showtime HD and it had bars on the top and bottom. However Discovery HD and the others still fill the screen. I saw an old war movie on HDNetmovies and it had bars also.

POST #12 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged