TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
>>> Can I hook my TIVO up without a cable box (TV only)? <<<

Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
rhino is offline Old Post 06-26-2004 09:39 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for rhino Find more posts by rhino Add rhino to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
rhino

Can I hook my TIVO up without a cable box (TV only)?

Is it possible to hook my TIVO up directly to my TV without a cable box or VCR? Can I get the TIVO to change channels directly on the TV? Please help me! Thanks!!

POST #1 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

innocentfreak is offline Old Post 06-26-2004 09:42 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for innocentfreak Find more posts by innocentfreak Add innocentfreak to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
innocentfreak

Yes but only to record analog stations. If you use a cable box you won't be able to record anything that requires the cable box. Also if you tv has an input you aren't using I suggest splitting the cable from the wall and one feed to the Tivo and one straight to the tv. Then you can hook up your Tivo to video one or whatever the input is named and have the ability to record with Tivo and still watch something else if Tivo is recording just like hooking up a vcr.

My DVD Collection

POST #2 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

rhino is offline Old Post 06-26-2004 09:51 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for rhino Find more posts by rhino Add rhino to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
rhino

WOW! That was quick!

Thanks, innocentfreak!!

So now I have my general answer: "yes". Thanks!

But -- can you please direct me where to get help with my setup now? I just disconnected my cable box to return it (I was using an IR Blaster to change the channels), and now I just want to be able to program my TIVO or the remote (?) to change the channels directly on the TV without the cable box. I know that now I'll only receive channels under 100. But I still would like TIVO to be able to change the channels!

PLEASE help me! THANKS!

POST #3 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

innocentfreak is offline Old Post 06-26-2004 10:00 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for innocentfreak Find more posts by innocentfreak Add innocentfreak to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
innocentfreak

What you will have to do is repeat guided setup and select your cable lineup agian this time selecting whatever package references your the channels you get now. I believe mine is basic extended since the next step is digital which requires a cable box. As far as the actual connections it is like I said you can run coax straight from the wall to the Tivo and then Tivo to tv and then you can watch whatever Tivo has recorded or is recording....or my personal preference coax from wall to splitter then one line to tv and one to tivo and then use the audio video cables to hook up to video one allowing you to watch something else as if you didn't have Tivo while it is recording or viewing Tivo on video one or input one whatever it is called. With this setup you would use your tv remote when watching regular cable and using the tivo remote for watching Tivo. The tivo remote will control the power and audio, but to change channels when not using Tivo you will have to use the tv remote.

As far as setting up the remote that is under "Tivo Messages and Setup" and "settings" and "tivo dvr setup" and then you will see remote control setup. The actual step by step with codes for brand of tv is listed in the main instruction manual, but I don't have mine handy so I am unsure of the page.

My DVD Collection

POST #4 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

rhino is offline Old Post 06-26-2004 10:03 AM
rhino

OK, I'm going to give this another shot. I guess the key is to Repeat Guided Setup. Thanks.

And I love your idea about splitting the signal! Thanks!!

POST #5 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

ThreeSoFar is offline Old Post 06-26-2004 10:06 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for ThreeSoFar Find more posts by ThreeSoFar Add ThreeSoFar to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ThreeSoFar
FourNowActually

Be aware, though, you're changing channels on the TiVo. The TV will stay on either "line in" (if you use S-Video or composite, the better methods) or channel 3 or 4 if you have to use coax. from the TiVo to the TV. You're not using your TV's tuner at all in this case.

Four TiVos now, all with single Samsung drives:
Humax DRT800 w/DVD-R (174hrs)
Two older Series 2's (142hrs and 157hrs),and a newer nightlight
Series 2, a stupid case design IMO (174hrs)
All but the last are lifetimed. TiVite since 2000. There is a Good IR solution.

Got Vonage 4/9/03--need a referral credit?

POST #6 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

innocentfreak is offline Old Post 06-26-2004 10:08 AM
innocentfreak

Yeah you have to repeat guided setup to let tivo you no longer have a cable box from what I remember. I haven't done it myself but you are changing the cable package also since you can no longer get the digital channels.

No problem, I have a similar setup but I have cable boxes for both Tivos. Hope everything works out.

My DVD Collection

POST #7 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

rhino is offline Old Post 06-26-2004 10:41 AM
rhino

It worked!! Thanks, innocentfreak!! For some reason, I didn't think of repeating guided setup. Thanks!!

I'll split the signal tomorrow -- too tired right now and just wanted to get TIVO working so I can sleep without being totally frustrated.

Thanks for your help, too, ThreeSoFar. My brain isn't functioning well on this "splitter" concept -- but it sounds like I can handle it in the morning when I'm non-comatose. I certainly split enough cable signals in my day....

To whom it may concern: What a fantastic site this is! I expected to have to wait hours and hours for a reply, and here I got instant help from two experts within minutes. Wow!! I wish I could return the favor, but I'm a total TIVO novice -- all I know is I love it! Good night, all.

POST #8 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

vatothe0 is offline Old Post 06-26-2004 10:47 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for vatothe0 Find more posts by vatothe0 Add vatothe0 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
vatothe0

When you hook up the splitter, I would suggest connecting the Tivo to the lower loss output. The outputs should be labled 2db and 7db or something depending on how nice of one you buy. Use the one with the smaller number for the tivo as it has the least signal loss.

It may not be much of a difference, but every last bit helps.

POST #9 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

innocentfreak is offline Old Post 06-26-2004 11:00 AM
innocentfreak

Glad to hear it worked. As fas as the splitter goes if you have any questions feel free to post them in this thread. Tivo without a cable box sets up pretty much the same way you would a vcr if you wanted to record a different channel than you were watching. There should even be a picture of the setup on the folded instruction sheet that came with the Tivo if I remember correctly.

My DVD Collection

POST #10 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

rhino is offline Old Post 06-26-2004 09:19 PM
rhino

Thanks, guys!! I split the signal and now my wife LOVES that she can watch something while TIVO is recording one of "my" programs that she doesn't like. No more frustration over her stopping the recording on a show I wanted to see!

POST #11 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

ThreeSoFar is offline Old Post 06-26-2004 09:50 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for ThreeSoFar Find more posts by ThreeSoFar Add ThreeSoFar to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ThreeSoFar
FourNowActually

Don't forget, while it's recording your show, it can play one of her shows, so she doesn't have to suffer through live TV.

Enjoy!

Four TiVos now, all with single Samsung drives:
Humax DRT800 w/DVD-R (174hrs)
Two older Series 2's (142hrs and 157hrs),and a newer nightlight
Series 2, a stupid case design IMO (174hrs)
All but the last are lifetimed. TiVite since 2000. There is a Good IR solution.

Got Vonage 4/9/03--need a referral credit?

POST #12 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Ben_Jamin75 is offline Old Post 06-27-2004 05:28 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Ben_Jamin75 Find more posts by Ben_Jamin75 Add Ben_Jamin75 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ben_Jamin75

Would you really need a splitter? Couldn't you have the coax go from wall to tivo, then tivo to tv. When you want Tivo to record on thing, while you watch another live. Simply put Tivo in standby mode, it should send the full cable signals through (bypass) to the TV. Using the TV tuner to watch any other channel.

POST #13 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged