TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Off Topic Areas (Non-TiVo) > Happy Hour - General Chit-Chat
>>> 3-4 business days? Are you kidding me? <<<

Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Mabes is offline Old Post 06-27-2004 06:00 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Mabes Visit Mabes's homepage! Find more posts by Mabes Add Mabes to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Mabes
Midnight Man

3-4 business days? Are you kidding me?

So I want to purchase the service menu data for my new TV and they only accept Paypal. I have an account and I go to transfer $10 from my bank account, and it takes 3-4 business days.

WTF? They've got my account number and routing number, and in these days of electronic transfer of funds....WTF?

PS. How bout them Mets? We've finally got our whole team together.

Read my <a href="http://theworldismyashtray.typepad.com/" target="_blank">blog</a>

POST #1 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Turtleboy is offline Old Post 06-27-2004 06:03 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Turtleboy Find more posts by Turtleboy Add Turtleboy to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Turtleboy

Linking your bank account to paypal is a bad idea no matter how many times they tell you to do it.

A credit card is always better, b/c you have protection when someone steals your money.

See here: http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-v...ighlight=paypal

And Here:

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-v...ighlight=paypal

POST #2 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Mabes is offline Old Post 06-27-2004 07:57 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Mabes Visit Mabes's homepage! Find more posts by Mabes Add Mabes to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Mabes
Midnight Man

Oh...my...God!

But I don't have a credit card. And I'm a gambling man and the odds of this sort of thing happening are probably small. I've had a Paypal account for a couple of years, I've only used it a couple of times, but it's been sitting there with the same account info. No problems and so....

I'll cancel it anyway. Thanks for the warning.

Read my <a href="http://theworldismyashtray.typepad.com/" target="_blank">blog</a>

POST #3 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

landrumdh is offline Old Post 06-27-2004 08:07 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for landrumdh Visit landrumdh's homepage! Find more posts by landrumdh Add landrumdh to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
landrumdh
Planning a Roadtrip!

After seeing those posts I went and removed my bank acct from paypal and now only have it linked to CC accounts.

"What is gum, anyway? I looked at the ingredients and the only gum related item I could see was called "gum base." Is that a real thing? Is that the smallest most elemental form of the gum? Or is that like looking at the ingredients for spaghetti and meatballs and seeing "meatballs" listed?" - hefe

POST #4 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

djheini is offline Old Post 06-27-2004 09:07 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for djheini Find more posts by djheini Add djheini to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
djheini
Driven away by TiVo

I removed my main checking account from PayPal, and only have the one that I'll be closing in a few months anyways, and only has a maximum of about $20 in it ever.

POST #5 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

YamahaRick is offline Old Post 06-27-2004 09:14 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for YamahaRick Find more posts by YamahaRick Add YamahaRick to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
YamahaRick
TiVo Forum Special Member

The reason for the delay is so that PayPal can sit on your funds for a few days, and make $$$ off of it. How do you think they pay for the services they provide ... they are entitled to make a profit.

It's not PayPal's fault that the service provider you are trying to pay only accepts PayPal.

POST #6 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Tpfer is offline Old Post 06-27-2004 10:00 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Tpfer Find more posts by Tpfer Add Tpfer to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Tpfer

quote:
Originally posted by YamahaRick
The reason for the delay is so that PayPal can sit on your funds for a few days, and make $$$ off of it. How do you think they pay for the services they provide ... they are entitled to make a profit.

I use paypal all the time and I dont have a problem with it. But they already charge me for all the money that goes into the account, so holding on to the money for 3-4 days should not be the way they make money. Most of the time it takes them 2 days to process a withdrawl.

POST #7 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

smak is offline Old Post 06-27-2004 10:14 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for smak Find more posts by smak Add smak to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
smak
new glossy edition

If you don't have a checking account linked, how do you get money out of your paypal account?

-smak-

1. Buy
2. Complain
3. Research
4. Apologize

Come visit us at TC Poker Community

www.tcpokercommunity.com

POST #8 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

bentleyml is offline Old Post 06-27-2004 10:16 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for bentleyml Find more posts by bentleyml Add bentleyml to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bentleyml
iPod! iPod! iPod!

I beleive you can get a PayPal debit card to take the money out from an ATM, but I could be mistaken.

"What smells like blue?"
--Phillip J. Fry, Roswell That Ends Well

POST #9 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

MikeekiM is offline Old Post 06-27-2004 10:37 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for MikeekiM Find more posts by MikeekiM Add MikeekiM to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MikeekiM

If you don't have it linked to your checking account, how do you transfer the balance from the PayPal account to a personal account outside of Paypal?

I use my PayPal account mostly to sell... Once my balance reaches a reasonably high amount, I dump it into my checking...

Universal Remote: One For All - URC6131
Xantech Xtra Link2 (Remote Extender)
ChannelPlus 3025 Modulator/Video Distribution

POST #10 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

gtrogue is offline Old Post 06-27-2004 11:07 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for gtrogue Find more posts by gtrogue Add gtrogue to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
gtrogue
Enormous Member

Why don't you do an instant payment? If your Paypal balance is zero and you make a payment it will immediately pull the money from your bank account and send it. I never keep money in my Paypal account and it's never stopped me from making payments.

POST #11 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

smak is offline Old Post 06-27-2004 11:57 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for smak Find more posts by smak Add smak to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
smak
new glossy edition

But how about the opposite. Somebody pays me through paypal for an auction, and I want that money...

-smak-

1. Buy
2. Complain
3. Research
4. Apologize

www.tcpokercommunity.com

POST #12 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

MikeekiM is offline Old Post 06-27-2004 12:25 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for MikeekiM Find more posts by MikeekiM Add MikeekiM to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MikeekiM

quote:
Originally posted by smak
But how about the opposite. Somebody pays me through paypal for an auction, and I want that money...

-smak-

That's exactly what my point is... But I guess I didn't say it as clearly as you

Universal Remote: One For All - URC6131
Xantech Xtra Link2 (Remote Extender)
ChannelPlus 3025 Modulator/Video Distribution

POST #13 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

gtrogue is offline Old Post 06-27-2004 12:26 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for gtrogue Find more posts by gtrogue Add gtrogue to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
gtrogue
Enormous Member

quote:

-smak-

Yeah, that kinda sucks. It usually takes about two days to get the money to my bank account.

POST #14 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

themango is offline Old Post 06-27-2004 06:25 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for themango Find more posts by themango Add themango to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
themango

quote:
Originally posted by gtrogue
Why don't you do an instant payment? If your Paypal balance is zero and you make a payment it will immediately pull the money from your bank account and send it. I never keep money in my Paypal account and it's never stopped me from making payments.

For an instant payment I think you must have a CC on the account. I think the OP said he doesn't have one.

POST #15 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

gtrogue is offline Old Post 06-27-2004 11:00 PM
gtrogue
Enormous Member

You may be right about that. They use the CC as a backup funding source in case your bank account doesn't have the funds in it.

POST #16 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

smak is offline Old Post 06-28-2004 03:08 AM
smak
new glossy edition

I'm still not understanding.

If I get rid of my checking account for security reasons, how do i get my money out of paypal? Would I need a paypal card? If my checking account isn't linked, i can't transfer money to it right?

-smak-

1. Buy
2. Complain
3. Research
4. Apologize

www.tcpokercommunity.com

POST #17 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

gtrogue is offline Old Post 06-28-2004 03:14 AM
gtrogue
Enormous Member

quote:
I'm still not understanding.

If I get rid of my checking account for security reasons, how do i get my money out of paypal? Would I need a paypal card? If my checking account isn't linked, i can't transfer money to it right?

-smak-

Correct, you would have to have them send you a check, which costs money, or use a Paypal debit card to withdraw money at an ATM, which costs money (ATM fees). The best bet is to open a free checking account somewhere, link it to your Paypal account, and use it as a go between account that you never keep money in.

POST #18 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

zaknafein is offline Old Post 06-28-2004 03:23 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for zaknafein Visit zaknafein's homepage! Find more posts by zaknafein Add zaknafein to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
zaknafein
iddqd

quote:
Originally posted by gtrogue

Actually, it isn't instant. ACH debits and credits are remarkably low-tech. At the bank I used to work for, there was a machine that dialed into the fed twice a day to download the latest ACH batch. That was transferred over to our system, which processed them. The problem is NSF ACH debits. The system might not kick out the NSF until the nightly update, when transactions were hard posted, so it could take a few days for it to trickle back through the system.

When you do an instant transfer on Paypal, it uses your credit card as the backup funds source. It runs a preauth on the card to make sure there is enough funds on the card to cover the transaction. If there is, it starts the ACH debit process and clears the transaction. Should the debit come back NSF, Paypal would charge the credit card instead.

The reason transferring funds takes 3-4 business days is because Paypal can't use a credit card as an alternate funds source, since that would be considered a cash advance.

You wanted to be free
And somewhere beyond the bitter end is where I wanna be

POST #19 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

gtrogue is offline Old Post 06-28-2004 12:03 PM
gtrogue
Enormous Member

I worded my post wrong. I should have said it immediately puts the money into your Paypal account and sends it. The transaction still takes several days to clear your bank.

POST #20 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged