TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Main TiVo Forums > DIRECTV Receiver with TiVo
>>> Wait to upgrade hard-drive? <<<

Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
catfan64 is offline Old Post 06-27-2004 09:19 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for catfan64 Find more posts by catfan64 Add catfan64 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
catfan64

Question Wait to upgrade hard-drive?

Just got Direct tv installed yesterday. I have ordered a new 120 hr replacement hard-drive from Weeknees. Expect in in a couple of days, and would probably install wednesday, or thursday.

My question is, is there any reason to wait a certain amount of time before doing this, such as my unit getting info from the satellite, software up grades, guide date, etc. Would swapping hard-drives, when it is still getting info (which I understand can take several days) have any adverse affects?

POST #1 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Da King is offline Old Post 06-27-2004 09:25 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Da King Visit Da King's homepage! Find more posts by Da King Add Da King to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Da King
Technogeek

If you were copying your existing drive to a new one, it might make sense to wait a couple of days (as per the "Hinsdale" upgrade instructions).

But if you're getting a new drive that is going to replace your existing one... I dont see any advantage. Just swap it out.

POST #2 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

haggis444 is offline Old Post 06-27-2004 09:28 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for haggis444 Find more posts by haggis444 Add haggis444 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
haggis444
Master of my domain

I had a DVR40 die about 25 days after purchase, if you upgrade the drive immediately you void the warranty. I waited a couple of months on my new one before I upgraded so I knew it was a solid unit.

Onkyo TX-SR601, TX-SR800
Sony 32WD510, 57WS500
Antennacraft CS600 (VHF) in attic
Channel Master 4221A (UHF) in attic
Channel Master 7777 Pre-amp

POST #3 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

catfan64 is offline Old Post 06-27-2004 09:36 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for catfan64 Find more posts by catfan64 Add catfan64 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
catfan64

quote:
Originally posted by haggis444
I had a DVR40 die about 25 days after purchase, if you upgrade the drive immediately you void the warranty. I waited a couple of months on my new one before I upgraded so I knew it was a solid unit.

I was so excited about getting Direct tv, and in such a hurry, I didnt think about that. I may put the new hardrive on the shelf for a few weeks for installing. Thanks for the info.

POST #4 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Fustanella is offline Old Post 06-27-2004 09:39 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Fustanella Find more posts by Fustanella Add Fustanella to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Fustanella
Homo sapiens tivus

I waited until my warranty had expired, and replaced the stock drive with a new, larger one. It's nice to have a ready-to-play backup to fall upon if needed.

POST #5 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Gomer Pyle is offline Old Post 06-27-2004 10:08 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Gomer Pyle Find more posts by Gomer Pyle Add Gomer Pyle to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Gomer Pyle

Doing the upgrade without saving the recordings is quicker and easier. If you wait too long, you might have some recordings on there that you don't want to lose. I would wait at least a week, to make sure you don't have a defective unit, and upgrade then.

I wouldn't be too worried about voiding the warranty. The #1 failure is the hard drive anyway, so once you do an upgrade (AND KEEP AN IMAGE OF THE ORIGINAL DRIVE AS A BACKUP!!!) you will be able to fix the number one problem anyway.

POST #6 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged