TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Off Topic Areas (Non-TiVo) > Happy Hour - General Chit-Chat
>>> Why Only Hot Water in Many Public Restroom Sinks??? <<<

Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Todd is offline Old Post 06-28-2004 04:31 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Todd Find more posts by Todd Add Todd to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Todd
C Me in a C6

Angry Why Only Hot Water in Many Public Restroom Sinks???

For some unknown reason, lately I've noticed that more and more faucets in public restrooms are only dispensing hot (not just warm, but almost hot enough to burn your hands...) water from sinks with automatic faucets that give you no control over hot or cold water. What is the deal with this? I usually prefer to wash my hands with cold water! Don't other people??

"Seriously, I think you are on the right track, but Todd is leading." - jsmeeker

POST #1 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

ThreeSoFar is offline Old Post 06-28-2004 04:33 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for ThreeSoFar Find more posts by ThreeSoFar Add ThreeSoFar to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ThreeSoFar
FourNowActually

No. Warm water actually does a better job with germs, I thought.

It's probably expense. Half the plumbing.

Four TiVos now, all with single Samsung drives:
Humax DRT800 w/DVD-R (174hrs)
Two older Series 2's (142hrs and 157hrs),and a newer nightlight
Series 2, a stupid case design IMO (174hrs)
All but the last are lifetimed. TiVite since 2000. There is a Good IR solution.

Got Vonage 4/9/03--need a referral credit?

POST #2 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Mike Lang is offline Old Post 06-28-2004 04:45 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Mike Lang Find more posts by Mike Lang Add Mike Lang to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Mike Lang
Super Moderator

Re: Why Only Hot Water in Many Public Restroom Sinks???

quote:
Originally posted by Todd
I usually prefer to wash my hands with cold water! Don't other people??

No, why would anyone want that?

POST #3 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

jafa is offline Old Post 06-28-2004 04:52 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for jafa Visit jafa's homepage! Find more posts by jafa Add jafa to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jafa
TiVo Forum Special Member

Nope - must be cold water for me.

POST #4 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

DLSith is offline Old Post 06-28-2004 05:05 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for DLSith Visit DLSith's homepage! Find more posts by DLSith Add DLSith to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DLSith
Advanced Member

Nothing drives me more crazy than this, or when someone has been using hot water, so that when I turn it on, I get a blast of hot first.

I understand the hot if its like winter in the north, but when its summer, or Texas, why the hell would you want hot water? Its just weird.

Han shoots first!

POST #5 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

YamahaRick is offline Old Post 06-28-2004 05:06 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for YamahaRick Find more posts by YamahaRick Add YamahaRick to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
YamahaRick

If there is only one choice, it's usually just cold water.

In some restaurants, the hot water is usually VERY hot, because the water heater temp is set higher than what you would find in a residence. So I'm always very careful with the amount of hot water coming out of a faucet in a restaurant bathroom.

POST #6 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Raj is offline Old Post 06-28-2004 05:20 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Raj Visit Raj's homepage! Find more posts by Raj Add Raj to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Raj
1.5kW of fun!

I hate the ice cold water in many restrooms.

I haven't noticed the hotter water in any restrooms, although I suspect it could be seasonal. Remember the cold water is warmer this time of year and the mix may not have been adjusted to compensate.

In memory of Ed Hopper -- 5130 --

I'm noticing more and more how my life is beginning to mirror Raj's....YIKES!! --disco

1x107hr Sony DirecTiVo
1x35hr Hughes HDVR2 DirecTV DVR powered by TiVo

POST #7 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

niea_7 is offline Old Post 06-28-2004 05:34 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for niea_7 Find more posts by niea_7 Add niea_7 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
niea_7
#1 Geek Girl

I prefer to wash my hands in cold water as well. For the short amount of time it takes to wash hands, I sincerely doubt hot water does any better job than cold.

In any case, I find it annoying when they don't let you adjust the water period. I don't care if it's warm and tolerable, I still don't like it. I would much rather have control and be able to choose cold.

POST #8 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Todd is offline Old Post 06-28-2004 05:49 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Todd Find more posts by Todd Add Todd to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Todd
C Me in a C6

quote:
Originally posted by DLSith
Nothing drives me more crazy than this, or when someone has been using hot water, so that when I turn it on, I get a blast of hot first.

That drives me nuts too! I swear it happens everytime I go to my parent's house. When I use hot water for something, I always run some cold water through the faucet before turning everything off.

"Seriously, I think you are on the right track, but Todd is leading." - jsmeeker

POST #9 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Fofer is offline Old Post 06-28-2004 05:55 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Fofer Find more posts by Fofer Add Fofer to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Fofer

So people won't drink from it?

POST #10 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Kablemodem is offline Old Post 06-28-2004 05:58 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Kablemodem Find more posts by Kablemodem Add Kablemodem to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Kablemodem
Favorite Poster

The toilet water is also too hot.

POST #11 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

JustAllie is offline Old Post 06-28-2004 05:59 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for JustAllie Find more posts by JustAllie Add JustAllie to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JustAllie
Back among the boxes

quote:
Originally posted by niea_7
I prefer to wash my hands in cold water as well. For the short amount of time it takes to wash hands, I sincerely doubt hot water does any better job than cold.

You're clearly not spending enough time to wash your hands thoroughly.

POST #12 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Raj is offline Old Post 06-28-2004 06:09 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Raj Visit Raj's homepage! Find more posts by Raj Add Raj to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Raj
1.5kW of fun!

quote:
Originally posted by Todd
That drives me nuts too! I swear it happens everytime I go to my parent's house. When I use hot water for something, I always run some cold water through the faucet before turning everything off.

Nice way to waste water.

In memory of Ed Hopper -- 5130 --

I'm noticing more and more how my life is beginning to mirror Raj's....YIKES!! --disco

1x107hr Sony DirecTiVo
1x35hr Hughes HDVR2 DirecTV DVR powered by TiVo

POST #13 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Todd is offline Old Post 06-28-2004 07:02 AM
Todd
C Me in a C6

quote:
Originally posted by Kablemodem
The toilet water is also too hot.
And you know this how??

POST #14 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Todd is offline Old Post 06-28-2004 07:03 AM
Todd
C Me in a C6

quote:
Originally posted by Raj
Nice way to waste water.
Touche! You always have to disagree don't you....

POST #15 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

niea_7 is offline Old Post 06-28-2004 08:15 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for niea_7 Find more posts by niea_7 Add niea_7 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
niea_7
#1 Geek Girl

quote:
Originally posted by JustAllie
You're clearly not spending enough time to wash your hands thoroughly.

In order for bacteria to be killed by hot water, they generally have to be exposed for 10-20 minutes. And the temperature it takes to harm the bacteria is hotter than your skin can stand. I do not spend that time washing my hands every single time. Hot water makes the soap lather better, to a degree, but the lathering has nothing to do with bacteria removal. In fact, washing your hands doesn't really get rid of most bacteria, it pretty much only gets rid of the dirt, unless you use anti-bacterial soap (which I'm strongly against). By that, cold water doesn't really do any worse of a job than hot.

POST #16 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged