TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Off Topic Areas (Non-TiVo) > Happy Hour - General Chit-Chat
>>> 4.5 earthquake <<<

Pages (2): [1] 2 Next »  
Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
montag is offline Old Post 06-28-2004 05:17 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for montag Find more posts by montag Add montag to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
montag
Rebel Without a Home

4.5 earthquake

In Northern Illinois, about 70 miles southwest of Chicago. Of course, I didn't feel it but others are reporting that it woke them up.

POST #1 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

JohnJr is offline Old Post 06-28-2004 06:21 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for JohnJr Find more posts by JohnJr Add JohnJr to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JohnJr
Blown, cold, over.

Re: 4.5 earthquake

quote:
Originally posted by montag
Of course, I didn't feel it ...

So, not an earth-shaking event?

-John

POST #2 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

LoadStar is offline Old Post 06-28-2004 09:46 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for LoadStar Find more posts by LoadStar Add LoadStar to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
LoadStar
LOAD"*",8,1

Felt all the way up in Milwaukee... it was faint, but detectable.

POST #3 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

YCantAngieRead is offline Old Post 06-28-2004 11:52 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for YCantAngieRead Find more posts by YCantAngieRead Add YCantAngieRead to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
YCantAngieRead
1974 was much better

I *think* I felt it here in Clinton. I was awake, though and had kind of written it off as a train passing by (we live about fifty feet from the tracks). Weird.

"So what you're saying is take off the balls, it don't work, right? " - Mythbusters

POST #4 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

GoodSpike is offline Old Post 06-29-2004 12:10 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for GoodSpike Find more posts by GoodSpike Add GoodSpike to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
GoodSpike
TiVo Forum Special Member

quote:
Originally posted by YCantAngieRead
I *think* I felt it here in Clinton. I was awake, though and had kind of written it off as a train passing by (we live about fifty feet from the tracks). Weird.

When I was a kid (about 5 or 6) we lived on a steep hill, and one day a bulldozer fell off its trailer and rolled down the hill until it hit a retaining wall. It really shook the ground while it was moving.

A short time later (a few months or so) we had a rather sizable earthquate while I was outside walking to school. I started to look around to see whether there was another bulldozer on the loose!

POST #5 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

GoodSpike is offline Old Post 06-29-2004 12:11 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for GoodSpike Find more posts by GoodSpike Add GoodSpike to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
GoodSpike

BTW, Alaska had a big one today too. 6.something.

POST #6 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

DPF is offline Old Post 06-29-2004 12:28 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for DPF Find more posts by DPF Add DPF to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DPF
So tired.....

Heard about the Alaska one, 6.7 if I remember right. The Illinois one woke me up, I had just gone to bed and was only half asleep when it hit. We recently bought a new home and I woke up thinking "Did we miss a set of railroad tracks or something?" Once I got my head on straight, I figured it was either an earthquake (remembered the ~1986 one) or a low flying plane, but I heard no jet so figured it was an earthquake. Went back to sleep planning to check the web in the morning to be sure. When I got up this morning, there it was, 4.5.

It felt like the house was "running out of gas". Chugging along like when the car is about to die. Rattled the stalks on the window blinds, drawer pulls rattled. That was about it. Lasted about 20 seconds (after I woke up).

[pre-emptive strike]
Waiting for the CA people to chime in with "4.5, hell we wouldn't even notice let alone wake up or get out of bed." Remember that when the day comes that you get a quarter inch of snow and everything grinds to a halt as if it were frogs and locusts. Anything under two inches and we don't even brush off the car, just turn on the wipers and head out!!
[/pre-emptive strike]

-DPF

"If you give a man fire he will be warm for a day
-but-
If you set that man on fire, he will be warm for the rest of his life"

POST #7 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

TIVO_GUY_HERE is offline Old Post 06-29-2004 12:32 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for TIVO_GUY_HERE Find more posts by TIVO_GUY_HERE Add TIVO_GUY_HERE to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
TIVO_GUY_HERE

Wink

4.5..... rookies

POST #8 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

bigpuma is offline Old Post 06-29-2004 01:47 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for bigpuma Find more posts by bigpuma Add bigpuma to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bigpuma

quote:
Originally posted by DPF

[pre-emptive strike]
Waiting for the CA people to chime in with "4.5, hell we wouldn't even notice let alone wake up or get out of bed." Remember that when the day comes that you get a quarter inch of snow and everything grinds to a halt as if it were frogs and locusts. Anything under two inches and we don't even brush off the car, just turn on the wipers and head out!!
[/pre-emptive strike]

-DPF

Wake me when it hits 5.0 or higher.

POST #9 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Avian is offline Old Post 06-29-2004 01:58 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Avian Visit Avian's homepage! Find more posts by Avian Add Avian to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Avian
Tired and Unhappy

Here you can see the recording across our entire network.

http://www.indiana.edu/~pepp/earthq...nois6_28_04.htm

Blog

I wonder how we change if we can in this land
I wonder how many mountains we'd move if we band together
Us priveleged Americans
I wonder what we'd change in this land cause we can
Even with western centricity this rampant
Us ugly Americans

POST #10 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

tj is offline Old Post 06-29-2004 02:41 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for tj Find more posts by tj Add tj to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tj
Just a kid

Felt it in Portage, IN (Near Chicago)

POST #11 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Bradc314 is offline Old Post 06-29-2004 02:45 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Bradc314 Find more posts by Bradc314 Add Bradc314 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bradc314
Hi.

I live exactly 58 miles north of the epicenter, and I didn't feel it. I didn't sleep well last night, but I managed to sleep through the earthquake

POST #12 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Scott Stevens is offline Old Post 06-29-2004 02:46 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Scott Stevens Visit Scott Stevens's homepage! Find more posts by Scott Stevens Add Scott Stevens to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Scott Stevens
Advanced Member

I'm about 30 miles northeast of it, and slept right through it.

"I believe you will find Scott has the right answer." - jfelbab
" Scott, I'm starting to think you're right afterall." - TiVo'Brien

POST #13 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

jhausmann is offline Old Post 06-29-2004 07:13 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for jhausmann Find more posts by jhausmann Add jhausmann to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jhausmann
Diogenes-type seeker

quote:
Originally posted by TIVO_GUY_HERE
4.5..... rookies

Heh. It takes better than a 6.5 to wake me up...

POST #14 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

jfelbab is offline Old Post 06-29-2004 07:20 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for jfelbab Visit jfelbab's homepage! Find more posts by jfelbab Add jfelbab to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jfelbab
WineBoZo

I agree 4.5 isn't much but I felt it here just west of Milwaukee. The floor was shaking and my wine glass was dancing on the table. Since we don't see many earthquakes in this area it came as a surprise. Took me a moment to figure out it was an earthquake.

POST #15 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

YCantAngieRead is offline Old Post 06-29-2004 07:24 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for YCantAngieRead Find more posts by YCantAngieRead Add YCantAngieRead to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
YCantAngieRead
1974 was much better

quote:
Anything under two inches and we don't even brush off the car, just turn on the wipers and head out!!

Shoot, having lived in Colorado, I don't bother brushing it off if it's less than a foot. But you don't get many storms like that here. I kind of miss that. In a way.

Interestingly, this is the first earthquake I've ever been anywhere near. I was actually in an elevator when a mild one hit LA when I was there.

A low level earthquake is a lot more shocking if you've never felt one.

(By the way, can tremors be felt more in a certain direction from the center? Our nuclear power plant didn't register anything, while some that are farther away than us to the north did.)

"So what you're saying is take off the balls, it don't work, right? " - Mythbusters

POST #16 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

justapixel is offline Old Post 06-29-2004 07:25 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for justapixel Find more posts by justapixel Add justapixel to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
justapixel
TiVo Mama

[Californian] 4.5? Hell we wouldn't even notice, let alone wake up or get out of bed. [/Californian]

I'm eclectic.

POST #17 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

scubagal is offline Old Post 06-29-2004 07:31 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for scubagal Find more posts by scubagal Add scubagal to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
scubagal

quote:
Originally posted by DPF
Heard about the Alaska one, 6.7 if I remember right. The Illinois one woke me up, I had just gone to bed and was only half asleep when it hit. We recently bought a new home and I woke up thinking "Did we miss a set of railroad tracks or something?" Once I got my head on straight, I figured it was either an earthquake (remembered the ~1986 one) or a low flying plane, but I heard no jet so figured it was an earthquake. Went back to sleep planning to check the web in the morning to be sure. When I got up this morning, there it was, 4.5.

It felt like the house was "running out of gas". Chugging along like when the car is about to die. Rattled the stalks on the window blinds, drawer pulls rattled. That was about it. Lasted about 20 seconds (after I woke up).

[pre-emptive strike]
[/pre-emptive strike]

-DPF

I didn't feel it.... and I only probably went to bed about an hour before.

Of course, I am from LA .............

POST #18 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

midas is offline Old Post 06-29-2004 07:44 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for midas Find more posts by midas Add midas to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
midas

I slept right through it. My wife said she didn't feel it either but my dog was barking in the middle of night. And she never barks in the middle of the night. Of course, I slept through that too.

POST #19 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Sleestak is offline Old Post 06-29-2004 08:34 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Sleestak Find more posts by Sleestak Add Sleestak to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Sleestak
Lizzard Member

4.5...Oooooh, better go get that earthquake insurance!

(Sorry, couldn't resist...I live 4 blocks from Hayward fault)

p.s. did anyone's dog bark before or after the quake?

POST #20 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged