TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Off Topic Areas (Non-TiVo) > Happy Hour - General Chit-Chat
>>> EA Sports Titles - PS2 or Xbox? <<<

Pages (2): [1] 2 Next »  
Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
CTLesq is offline Old Post 06-28-2004 09:31 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for CTLesq Find more posts by CTLesq Add CTLesq to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CTLesq
Oppressor

EA Sports Titles - PS2 or Xbox?

So it was a relatively easy matter for me to decide which system to play Madden, FiFa, etc on when EA's sports titles were only availble for online the PS2.

However, with the (now very old) announcement that EA will be making their sports titles available online for both the PS2 and the Xbox, I face the dilema - which will be the better gaming experience.

I could care less about the Xbox Live fee as I already pay for it (and suspect EA is going to be charging anyways). Graphically and sound wise I would be inclined to believe the Xbox will have the edge over the PS2.

I ask this because years ago when I had the PS and the N64, the gameplay of the PS version of Madden was magnificent with less than great graphics, alternatively the gameplay of the N64 was poor but the graphics, comparitively were outstanding.

My question is which of the two systems will have the better game play?

Have any of you played EA's sports titles on both systems?

Thanks!

POST #1 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Skittles is offline Old Post 06-28-2004 09:34 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Skittles Find more posts by Skittles Add Skittles to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Skittles
Scramble! Left!

Any answer you get at this point is probably going to be based on speculation, since EA's been a bit mum on the XBox side for this year's selections. and very few people have seen this year's releases for the XBox (as far as EA Sports is concerned).

That said, if past experience is worth anything, XBox will likely have better graphics, gameplay, and online experiences. For most of EA's recent releases, when a title was released across all 3 consoles, the XBox version has usually received better reviews and is the most recommended of the versions as far as reviewers are concerned..

Come voice your opinion on hotel selection.. it's important, and it matters!

POST #2 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

CTLesq is offline Old Post 06-28-2004 09:46 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for CTLesq Find more posts by CTLesq Add CTLesq to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CTLesq
Oppressor

A fair point that the answers would be speculative. But I am pre-supposing there is is consitency, between each years set of games.

Meaning if the gameplay for the 04 titles on one of the systems was better than the other system, all things being equal I would (dangerously) assume that in the 05 versions that system would retain their edge.

However your overall point was not lost on me.

POST #3 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

whitson77 is offline Old Post 06-28-2004 10:05 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for whitson77 Find more posts by whitson77 Add whitson77 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
whitson77
LOTR third Age

What Skittles Said. I would go Xbox. A lot of people like the PS2 controller better (I am not one of them) but everything else game related gets the nod for the Xbox.

Better Graphics
Better Sounds
Better Load Times
Better On-Line Play

All going to the Xbox.

POST #4 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

tfederov is offline Old Post 06-28-2004 10:06 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for tfederov Find more posts by tfederov Add tfederov to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tfederov
M GO BLUE!!!

You may also want to consider the ESPN line of sports games as well. I've been playing them for about two years and love them.....

DirecTV HR10-250
DirecTV HR10-250

POST #5 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

SoupMan is offline Old Post 06-28-2004 10:27 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for SoupMan Find more posts by SoupMan Add SoupMan to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
SoupMan
Advanced Member

The addition of EA Sports games to Live was the last hurdle to my total xbox conversion. The PS2 will just be around for the occassional "must have/play" PS2-only game.

Only 2 weeks until NCAA '05 woohoo!

POST #6 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

doom1701 is offline Old Post 06-28-2004 10:33 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for doom1701 Visit doom1701's homepage! Find more posts by doom1701 Add doom1701 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
doom1701
Mr. Oblivious

Re: EA Sports Titles - PS2 or Xbox?

quote:
Originally posted by CTLesq
(and suspect EA is going to be charging anyways).

You really think they will? I'd be surprised. One of the reasons I much prefer online gaming on the XBox over any other platform (including the PC) is that there's just one network provider and one bill. I would think that the enthusiasm over EA coming to XBLive would die off really quick if people felt that EA was simply bringing their own network and fees to the XBox.

Anybody need some wood?

POST #7 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Skittles is offline Old Post 06-28-2004 10:38 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Skittles Find more posts by Skittles Add Skittles to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Skittles
Scramble! Left!

If I were a betting man, I'd wager that either EA won't charge anything for XBox Live gaming, or it'll be so nominal of a charge ($10 a year) that no one will mind paying it.

Part of the reason they were so reluctant to come to XBox Live gaming in the first place is because Microsoft refused to let them charge additional fees for their online games, because they felt the customers would see it as double dipping. No one has offered factual details, but a lot of gaming sites/magazines suspect that Microsoft is providing the infrastructure, and will take a relatively minor loss in their online costs, but will be receiving some sort of percentage of EA Sports game sales.

POST #8 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

CTLesq is offline Old Post 06-28-2004 10:41 PM
CTLesq
Oppressor

Re: Re: EA Sports Titles - PS2 or Xbox?

quote:
Originally posted by doom1701
You really think they will? I'd be surprised. One of the reasons I much prefer online gaming on the XBox over any other platform (including the PC) is that there's just one network provider and one bill. I would think that the enthusiasm over EA coming to XBLive would die off really quick if people felt that EA was simply bringing their own network and fees to the XBox.

On the PS2 side of the house, yes. On the Xbox side, I suspect they have worked out a revenue sharing deal with M$ and we will be seeing an increase in Xbox Live costs....

POST #9 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Agent86 is offline Old Post 06-28-2004 10:51 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Agent86 Find more posts by Agent86 Add Agent86 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Agent86

My guess is that the Xbox one will be the best. Live is just so much better then Sony's online offering, and usually the Xbox has the better graphics/sound to boot.

The big question is if Madden is really going to be worth $50 when sitting right next to it is ESPN for $20.

Is Madden really $30 better then ESPN?

- Agent 86

POST #10 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Demandred is offline Old Post 06-28-2004 11:16 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Demandred Visit Demandred's homepage! Find more posts by Demandred Add Demandred to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Demandred
#58 Growlithe

quote:
Originally posted by Skittles
If I were a betting man, I'd wager that either EA won't charge anything for XBox Live gaming, or it'll be so nominal of a charge ($10 a year) that no one will mind paying it.

I for one won't be getting any EA sports titles if they do require an additional fee. We are already paying $50 a year to play, since you have to buy a new copy every year if you want to keep playing.

POST #11 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

John_D is offline Old Post 06-28-2004 11:29 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for John_D Find more posts by John_D Add John_D to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
John_D

quote:
Originally posted by Agent86

The big question is if Madden is really going to be worth $50 when sitting right next to it is ESPN for $20.

Is Madden really $30 better then ESPN?

- Agent 86

In my opinion Yes!

I'm an Xbox fanboy but I can see one valid reason to get the PS2 version and that is that there will be more online users. In every other aspect the Xbox version is the one to go with.

POST #12 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

rberry88 is offline Old Post 06-29-2004 12:18 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for rberry88 Visit rberry88's homepage! Find more posts by rberry88 Add rberry88 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
rberry88
Advanced Member

I'm sticking with the PS2 versions for all EA Sports this year because I think there will be alot more people online, plus I like the PS2 controller for sports games better. And no I'm not going to buy a $30 adapter just to play sports games on the Xbox w/ my PS2.

Just my 2 cents.

rberry88

Wanna check out my Cubs Photo Gallery:
http://rberry883.home.comcast.net/firstintro.html

POST #13 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

doom1701 is offline Old Post 06-29-2004 12:22 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for doom1701 Visit doom1701's homepage! Find more posts by doom1701 Add doom1701 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
doom1701
Mr. Oblivious

quote:
Originally posted by rberry88
I'm sticking with the PS2 versions for all EA Sports this year because I think there will be alot more people online, plus I like the PS2 controller for sports games better. And no I'm not going to buy a $30 adapter just to play sports games on the Xbox w/ my PS2.

Just my 2 cents.

rberry88

I don't understand why there would be more PS2 players online when the new versions come out (of course, I don't play many sports games, so I might just be ignorant). Will Madden 2004 owners be able to play online with Madden 2005 owners? Unless that's the case, then it all depends on sales of the new version of each game.

Anybody need some wood?

POST #14 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

rberry88 is offline Old Post 06-29-2004 12:30 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for rberry88 Visit rberry88's homepage! Find more posts by rberry88 Add rberry88 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
rberry88
Advanced Member

I don't know what the *exact* numbers are but my thinking is:

PS2 - 70 million PS2 consoles sold worldwide with about 20 million online
Xbox - 20 million Xbox consoles sold worldwide with about 8-10 million online

Even if both consoles sell alot of copies of Madden, just by the sheer numbers more would be sold on the PS2 just because it has more overall users. Regardless of which anyone thinks is better.

IMHO.

rberry88

POST #15 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

whitson77 is offline Old Post 06-29-2004 01:53 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for whitson77 Find more posts by whitson77 Add whitson77 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
whitson77
LOTR third Age

quote:
IMHO.

rberry88

Your opinion sucks

Just kidding. To each his own.

POST #16 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

rberry88 is offline Old Post 06-29-2004 02:01 AM
rberry88
Advanced Member

quote:
Originally posted by whitson77
Your opinion sucks

Just kidding. To each his own.

Don't worry, I like pulling for the underdog too, that's why I bought an Xbox.

rberry88

POST #17 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Skittles is offline Old Post 06-29-2004 02:03 AM
Skittles
Scramble! Left!

quote:
I don't know what the *exact* numbers are but my thinking is:

PS2 - 70 million PS2 consoles sold worldwide with about 20 million online
Xbox - 20 million Xbox consoles sold worldwide with about 8-10 million online

Even if both consoles sell alot of copies of Madden, just by the sheer numbers more would be sold on the PS2 just because it has more overall users. Regardless of which anyone thinks is better.

IMHO.

rberry88

I'm a bit suspicious of those numbers.

But even so, Xbox Live is going to win out in the long run. It's a stable, unified network, with matchmaking services and a flat annual fee that includes all the online games, sans one or two. PS2 online gaming is still very iffy, and not nearly as well programmed as Xbox Live is. Reports still come through about laggy gameplay, poor support, and problematic connections to PS2 online servers.

Once EA starts supporting XBox Live more heavily, the numbers will drastically dwindle for the PS2. In fact, I'd go so far as to say that EA Games on XBox Live will be a selling point for the console.

POST #18 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

CTLesq is offline Old Post 06-29-2004 02:11 AM
CTLesq
Oppressor

quote:
Originally posted by Skittles
I'm a bit suspicious of those numbers.

But even so, Xbox Live is going to win out in the long run. It's a stable, unified network, with matchmaking services and a flat annual fee that includes all the online games, sans one or two. PS2 online gaming is still very iffy, and not nearly as well programmed as Xbox Live is. Reports still come through about laggy gameplay, poor support, and problematic connections to PS2 online servers.

Once EA starts supporting XBox Live more heavily, the numbers will drastically dwindle for the PS2. In fact, I'd go so far as to say that EA Games on XBox Live will be a selling point for the console.

And I very well may end up being your classic example of that trend.

POST #19 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

whitson77 is offline Old Post 06-29-2004 02:32 AM
whitson77
LOTR third Age

I've never played on The PS2 network. But I am sure some of the SOCOM players could let us know how the connection is. I am amazed at how smooth live is 95% of the time.

POST #20 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged