TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Off Topic Areas (Non-TiVo) > Happy Hour - General Chit-Chat
>>> EA Sports Titles - PS2 or Xbox? <<<

Pages (2): « Prev 1 [2]  
Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Demandred is offline Old Post 06-29-2004 02:50 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Demandred Visit Demandred's homepage! Find more posts by Demandred Add Demandred to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Demandred
#58 Growlithe

quote:
Originally posted by whitson77
I've never played on The PS2 network. But I am sure some of the SOCOM players could let us know how the connection is. I am amazed at how smooth live is 95% of the time.

SOCOM is decent. I would say it's slightly worse than Live as far as number of times accidentally disconnected, etc. Madden 2003 on PS2 was actually much better.

POST #21 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

CTLesq is offline Old Post 06-29-2004 02:55 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for CTLesq Find more posts by CTLesq Add CTLesq to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CTLesq
Oppressor

quote:
Originally posted by whitson77
I've never played on The PS2 network. But I am sure some of the SOCOM players could let us know how the connection is. I am amazed at how smooth live is 95% of the time.

I have never had a single problem with SOCOM or SOCOM II.

Connecting to Madden, on the PS2 also has been without problems.

Now, connecting on FiFa and FightNight is horriffic.

POST #22 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

jmgonzalez is offline Old Post 06-29-2004 03:57 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for jmgonzalez Visit jmgonzalez's homepage! Find more posts by jmgonzalez Add jmgonzalez to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jmgonzalez

Forget about Madden, buy ESPN 05 for $20.

I don't plan on helping EA out one bit after hesitating to release Live aware sports games.

I'd rather help the one who is innovative and supportive of Live from the beginning.

POST #23 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Gromit is offline Old Post 06-29-2004 05:27 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Gromit Find more posts by Gromit Add Gromit to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Gromit
TiVo Forum Special Member

quote:
Originally posted by Skittles
Part of the reason they were so reluctant to come to XBox Live gaming in the first place is because Microsoft refused to let them charge additional fees for their online games, because they felt the customers would see it as double dipping. No one has offered factual details, but a lot of gaming sites/magazines suspect that Microsoft is providing the infrastructure, and will take a relatively minor loss in their online costs, but will be receiving some sort of percentage of EA Sports game sales.

IIRC, EA's story was that they didn't like all of their customers' info being stored on an external server (Microsoft's). I'm not sure if that was their real reason but you will have to log into both Microsoft's and EA's servers when playing on Live (not that it's going to be painful).

Live is very impressive, but everyone seems to act like playing online with a PS2 sucks. It's missing some features that Live offers, but it works fine. Yes, I've been disconnected from SOCOM II a few times but that's probably because there are 30,000 people logged in to play SOCOM II every time I've played since the day the game came out. That's a lot of people.

I'm still trying to decide which version of NCAA 2005 to get. As long as I can download/import roster files, I'm happy. The PS2 has the better controller (for football at least, I think I'm just used to it for the most part) but the Xbox has better graphics. Online play is probably a wash. I didn't play 1 game of NCAA 2004 online. I have a Sharkport for my PS2 so I know I'll be able to download roster files and use it to transfer to my memory card. I'm hoping I can FTP Xbox roster files to my modded Xbox. If so, I'll probably go with it.

Last edited by Gromit on 06-29-2004 at 06:07 PM

POST #24 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

rberry88 is offline Old Post 06-29-2004 08:47 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for rberry88 Visit rberry88's homepage! Find more posts by rberry88 Add rberry88 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
rberry88
Advanced Member

I guess I was a little off on the numbers:

Xbox first -- from : http://www.ferrago.com/story/3443

The Home and Entertainment division, which includes the Xbox and all games sales, reported sales of the console up 30% on the same period last year, a fact the company attached to the recent price drops the system has been boosted by. The division also reiterated that it is currently on course for Xbox sales of between 14.5 and 16 million by the end of June, by which time it also hopes to boast one million Xbox Live subscribers.

And Sony -- from : http://www.avault.com/news/displayn...=6142004-131011

Sony Computer Entertainment America has announced a more than twofold increase in sales of its PS2 since reducing the price of the console. The company announced the lower price point of 149 dollars last month at E3. Initial data shows an increase of 216 percent during the first full week of sales at the reduced price point and an increase of 141 percent to date compared to the three weeks prior to the announcement. Sony has sold 26 million PS2 consoles in North America and shipped more than 70 million systems worldwide.

Now, granted the PS2 online numbers are about 70% of Xbox Live (~700,000) but I don't think everyone that buys Madden has the sole intention of playing online.

Now I can sleep.

rberry88

Wanna check out my Cubs Photo Gallery:
http://rberry883.home.comcast.net/firstintro.html

POST #25 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged