TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Off Topic Areas (Non-TiVo) > Happy Hour - General Chit-Chat
>>> Longhorn? <<<

Pages (2): [1] 2 Next »  
Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
SWFan is offline Old Post 06-28-2004 09:56 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for SWFan Visit SWFan's homepage! Find more posts by SWFan Add SWFan to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
SWFan
TiVo Forum Special Member

Longhorn?

POST #1 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

jsmeeker is offline Old Post 06-28-2004 09:58 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for jsmeeker Find more posts by jsmeeker Add jsmeeker to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jsmeeker
Big know-it-all

Photoshop job? Or is Apple taking a jab at MS?

Yay, Smeek! Smeek rules! -- JediCowboyD
jsmeeker, you will live in a dark place someday....where they do not allow TiVo. -- nachonaco

POST #2 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

tfederov is offline Old Post 06-28-2004 09:59 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for tfederov Find more posts by tfederov Add tfederov to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tfederov
M GO BLUE!!!

Gig 'em!!!

DirecTV HR10-250
DirecTV HR10-250

POST #3 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Bryanmc is offline Old Post 06-28-2004 10:00 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Bryanmc Visit Bryanmc's homepage! Find more posts by Bryanmc Add Bryanmc to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bryanmc
Will work for money.

The disk says 'Tiger'.

I don't even understand where the joke would be.

POST #4 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Pablo is offline Old Post 06-28-2004 10:05 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Pablo Find more posts by Pablo Add Pablo to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Pablo
... not like you

Does that mean that Tiger will not be coming out any time soon?

POST #5 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Fofer is offline Old Post 06-28-2004 10:08 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Fofer Find more posts by Fofer Add Fofer to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Fofer

These are posters hanging at today's WWDC in San Francisco. Just Apple taking a jab at MS, referring to how MS often "borrows" innovation from Apple's OS.

POST #6 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Bryanmc is offline Old Post 06-28-2004 11:14 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Bryanmc Visit Bryanmc's homepage! Find more posts by Bryanmc Add Bryanmc to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bryanmc
Will work for money.

Bah.

My first thought it Apple should be above that.

The last two are funny/good because it's about the product being so good that the competition had better get to work or be scared.

The first two I think are almost too childish.

POST #7 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

YamahaRick is offline Old Post 06-28-2004 11:16 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for YamahaRick Find more posts by YamahaRick Add YamahaRick to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
YamahaRick

quote:
Originally posted by Fofer
These are posters hanging at today's WWDC in San Francisco. Just Apple taking a jab at MS, referring to how MS often "borrows" innovation from Apple's OS.

Yeah; like Apple "borrowed" (more like "stole") from Xerox.

What goes around, comes around.

POST #8 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

sschwart is offline Old Post 06-29-2004 12:18 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for sschwart Find more posts by sschwart Add sschwart to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
sschwart
Missing Vegas

I'm a bit dissapointed in Apple for taking jabs like that at MS. The last 2, as Bryan said, seem much less childish and more competitive, but still. I'd rather seem the laud the virtues of their product than abuse another.

POST #9 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

rberry88 is offline Old Post 06-29-2004 12:26 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for rberry88 Visit rberry88's homepage! Find more posts by rberry88 Add rberry88 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
rberry88
Advanced Member

I say stick it to MS whenever and wherever possible.

The pictures are great.

rberry88

Wanna check out my Cubs Photo Gallery:
http://rberry883.home.comcast.net/firstintro.html

POST #10 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Ingersoll is offline Old Post 06-29-2004 12:29 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Ingersoll Find more posts by Ingersoll Add Ingersoll to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ingersoll
godless heathen

Drat. I thought this was about Longhorn Steak House. Mmmmm.... steak...

Just what I need, my annual $125 OS X upgrade...

POST #11 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

drewman is offline Old Post 06-29-2004 12:43 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for drewman Visit drewman's homepage! Find more posts by drewman Add drewman to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
drewman
Ascetic capitalist

quote:
Originally posted by YamahaRick
Yeah; like Apple "borrowed" (more like "stole") from Xerox.

What goes around, comes around.

How often will this distortion come up? Jobs gave Xerox Apple stock in exchange for a one day (1 day!) tour of their facility with Apple's programmers for inspiration.

What did Microsoft give Xerox or Apple for their copying?

Andrew

POST #12 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

LoadStar is offline Old Post 06-29-2004 12:49 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for LoadStar Find more posts by LoadStar Add LoadStar to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
LoadStar
LOAD"*",8,1

Besides - more so than even MacWorld Expo, WWDC is a true "gathering of the faithful." This is the true Apple insiders - these are the people that Apple needs to motivate to develop killer software. So you should expect some hyperbole and propaganda at a show like this.

The equivalent show on the Windows side was the one where several years ago "Monkey Boy" Ballmer ran around the stage sweating up a storm screaming "Developers! Developers!" Gotta say - I'd prefer a couple of posters to that.

POST #13 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

retrodog is offline Old Post 06-29-2004 12:50 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for retrodog Find more posts by retrodog Add retrodog to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
retrodog
retroDoggy Style

quote:
Originally posted by drewman
How often will this distortion come up? Jobs gave Xerox Apple stock in exchange for a one day (1 day!) tour of their facility with Apple's programmers for inspiration.

What did Microsoft give Xerox or Apple for their copying?

Andrew

Competition.

And we have all benefited from it.

Please note: No cats were harmed in any way during the making of this post. But there is always later. ;)

"There is some mental disorder, where people keep cats."justapixel

POST #14 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

jlb.x is offline Old Post 06-29-2004 12:50 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for jlb.x Visit jlb.x's homepage! Find more posts by jlb.x Add jlb.x to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jlb.x
footage not found

quote:
Originally posted by Ingersoll
Just what I need, my annual $125 OS X upgrade...

There will be no (paid) Mac OS X version in 2004, so you're off the hook for this year.

POST #15 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Ereth is offline Old Post 06-29-2004 12:51 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Ereth Visit Ereth's homepage! Find more posts by Ereth Add Ereth to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ereth
MMM..Strawberry!

Microsoft actually licensed the concept of the GUI with overlapping Windows from Apple, fully paid. The Apple lawsuit claimed that the license was only good for Windows 1.0, not for further releases of Windows. They never claimed that Microsoft didn't properly license it for Windows 1.0

So Microsoft paid Apple cash money for their copying. I think it's just as much a distortion to claim Microsoft didn't pay Apple as it is to claim Apple didn't pay Xerox.

POST #16 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

bsnelson is offline Old Post 06-29-2004 12:55 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for bsnelson Visit bsnelson's homepage! Find more posts by bsnelson Add bsnelson to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bsnelson

But Windows 1.0 didn't have overlapping windows - it was tile only.

Brad

(1) Samsung SIR4040R (35 hours)

POST #17 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Ereth is offline Old Post 06-29-2004 12:59 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Ereth Visit Ereth's homepage! Find more posts by Ereth Add Ereth to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ereth
MMM..Strawberry!

Maybe, but Microsoft licensed it, regardless. I never saw Windows 1.0. The earliest version I saw was Windows 286, which definitely had overlapping Windows.

GEM also had overlapping Windows, and Apple successfully sued them and made them go tile-only (except on the Atari ST for some reason, which was allowed to continue with overlapping Windows).

POST #18 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

osterber is offline Old Post 06-29-2004 01:04 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for osterber Find more posts by osterber Add osterber to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
osterber
Advanced Member

This reminds me of an Apple ad when Windows 95 was released back in the summer of 1995. I was working for MS at the time. The campus was a big party scene for the product launch. Driving around campus was one of those advertisement trucks (just had a small billboard on the back) that said, simply:

C:\ONGRTLNS.W95

Even as a Microsoft employee at the time, I thought it was hilarious.

-Rick

POST #19 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Fofer is offline Old Post 06-29-2004 03:08 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Fofer Find more posts by Fofer Add Fofer to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Fofer

Still, the posters' theme is sort of ironic now, considering that at least two of the major "innovations" announced for Tiger appear to be borrowed heavily from preexisting third-party utilities.

POST #20 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged