TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
>>> Is the 140 hour really worth it? <<<

Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Keith_R90210 is offline Old Post 06-29-2004 02:17 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Keith_R90210 Find more posts by Keith_R90210 Add Keith_R90210 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Keith_R90210

Is the 140 hour really worth it?

Hey all, I've been a happy TiVo addict for the past year with my Series 2 40 hour unit.

Recently, I've been craving more hours though and have been deliberating between upgrading my current unit or possibly buying a second box w/ more hours (the significant advantage here being that I could deal with conflicts better).

The 140 hour box looks tempting (although a bit ugly IMO). Those who have a 140 hour, was it worth it? does 5.x software really do anything that much newer besides different animations? the bottom line... is the new 140 hour unit worth $400 or is it more worthwhile for me to upgrade my current box and save the money?

Thanks!

-Keith-

POST #1 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

JoeBarbs is offline Old Post 06-29-2004 02:25 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for JoeBarbs Find more posts by JoeBarbs Add JoeBarbs to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JoeBarbs

buy a factory renewed 40 hour for $80, and upgrade both units. Slap in a 160 gig drive in both of them. So for about $225, you will have two 140 hour units.

I highly recommend the 140 hour units for anyone that doesn't feel comfortable with cracking open their tivo/ and their computer.

oh, and I am betting we see a 5.x software upgrade for current S2's.

Broadband Cable
Wired Etherfast Network Linksys Router (BEFSR41)
(2) Linksys USB 2.0 Adapters (USB200M)

-------------------------------------------
Most Wanted Features:
1) USB 2.0 Drivers
2) TiVoToGo

POST #2 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

kensteele is offline Old Post 06-29-2004 02:28 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for kensteele Find more posts by kensteele Add kensteele to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
kensteele

Take your current box and perform your own upgrade with new harddrives. You can do this yourself and you will be thrilled with the additional space.

POST #3 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

firstwitness2000 is offline Old Post 06-29-2004 03:52 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for firstwitness2000 Find more posts by firstwitness2000 Add firstwitness2000 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
firstwitness2000

Upgrade the drive yourself, but make sure to buy a drive with a 3 year warranty, it will be worth it when it fails 2 years from now. By the way, get a 200gb or higher drive, the more the better, and there can never be too much free space.

POST #4 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

ellinj is offline Old Post 06-29-2004 03:55 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for ellinj Find more posts by ellinj Add ellinj to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ellinj
TiVo Forum Special Member

200gb won't do you much good with the current crop of tivo's unless they upgrade them to the the new 5.x software.

POST #5 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Bigg is offline Old Post 06-29-2004 04:31 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Bigg Find more posts by Bigg Add Bigg to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bigg
Advanced Member

The new TiVo has >138GB support, and a new better design, but as said above, getting a 40 hour refurb and upgrading it would be your best bet. unless you NEED the nightlight and sleeker look of the new 140 HR. Oh, and don't forget to get lifetime EPG on your new TiVo.

POST #6 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

abadan is offline Old Post 06-29-2004 11:40 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for abadan Find more posts by abadan Add abadan to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
abadan

Does anyone know what is new with 5.x software? (for the standalone 140 hr model).

POST #7 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

firstwitness2000 is offline Old Post 06-29-2004 12:24 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for firstwitness2000 Find more posts by firstwitness2000 Add firstwitness2000 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
firstwitness2000

quote:
Originally posted by ellinj
200gb won't do you much good with the current crop of tivo's unless they upgrade them to the the new 5.x software.

sry about that, spoke too soon. I have a replaytv with a 250gb hard drive, assumed tivo was the same (no limit). Either way, get the biggest hard drive your current tivo can support, upgrading is the way to go.

POST #8 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

rsnaider is offline Old Post 06-29-2004 05:42 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for rsnaider Find more posts by rsnaider Add rsnaider to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
rsnaider
TiVo Forum Special Member

quote:
Originally posted by abadan
Does anyone know what is new with 5.x software? (for the standalone 140 hr model).

Different Startup Screens
Different Background Animations
Support for HD's larger than 137GB
New Style Case with Night Light Feature
New Software control for front panel Lights

That's about all I remember at this time, but otherwise nothing really new yet.....

TiVo | SERlES2 - 302 Hrs
TiVo | SONY SVR3000 - 273 Hrs

POST #9 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Bigg is offline Old Post 06-29-2004 07:07 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Bigg Find more posts by Bigg Add Bigg to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bigg
Advanced Member

The HDD support is really something new for non DVD burner TiVos.

POST #10 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged