TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Off Topic Areas (Non-TiVo) > Happy Hour - General Chit-Chat
>>> Beastie Boys CD Installs Virus <<<

Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
SparkleMotion is offline Old Post 06-29-2004 03:15 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for SparkleMotion Find more posts by SparkleMotion Add SparkleMotion to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
SparkleMotion
Passive Aggressive

Beastie Boys CD Installs Virus

According to The Register and a thread at BugTraq,

quote:
A new Beastie Boys' CD called "To the Five Boroughs" (Capitol Records), is raising hackles around the Web for reputedly infecting computers with a virus.

According to a recent thread at BugTraq, an executable file is automatically and silently installed on the user's machine when the CD is loaded. The file is said to be a driver that prevents users from ripping the CD (and perhaps others), and attacks both Windows boxen and Macs.

The infected CD is being distributed worldwide except in the USA and UK, which prevents us from giving a firsthand report. However, according to hearsay, we gather that the Windows version exploits the 'autorun' option, and that the Mac version affects the auto play option.

On Windows, when a CD is loaded, a text file called autorun.inf is read, and any instructions within it are executed. In this case, the machine is instructed to install some manner of DRM driver that prevents copying. We haven't seen either the .inf file or any of the executables, so we can't say how or at what level it accomplishes this - or if indeed it actually does accomplish this.

But assuming that the unconfirmed reports are accurate, we have here a media company infecting users' machines silently with a file that affects a computer's functionality, without first obtaining informed consent: a likely violation of pretty much every jurisdiction's anti-hacking laws. It's possible to foresee criminal charges being brought at some point: after all, having a good reason for spreading malware has never been much of a defence in court. And a file that alters a computer's functioning without the owner's informed consent is the very definition of malware. Because this malware can be transferred from machine to machine on a removable disk, and requires user interaction to spread, it is, quite simply, a computer virus. (A worm, on the other hand, is distinguished by its ability to spread without user interaction.)
See link for further details and disinfection information.

Corporate malware appears to be here...!

POST #1 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

forecheck is offline Old Post 06-29-2004 04:24 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for forecheck Find more posts by forecheck Add forecheck to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
forecheck

When I put the new Velvet Revolver CD in my Windows computer and the auto play ran it, it immediately asked for permission to connect to a server and download some sort of "digital key". I said no and it popped out the disk, but it also installed a driver named "SbcdHid" without my permission. With this driver there the output of the CD would skip. I had to remove that driver and then insert the CD with auto pay turned off (which it is now set permanently) just to be able to listen to it on my computer.

POST #2 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

JasonE is offline Old Post 06-29-2004 04:26 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for JasonE Find more posts by JasonE Add JasonE to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JasonE

This is not new.

right shift or disabling autorun will defeat it.

http://www.cs.princeton.edu/~jhalderm/cd3/

This was back in September 2003.

-Jason

POST #3 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Mikkel_Knight is offline Old Post 06-29-2004 07:21 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Mikkel_Knight Find more posts by Mikkel_Knight Add Mikkel_Knight to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Mikkel_Knight
TiVo Forum Special Member

Anyone who has "autoplay" turned on often deserves what they get...

just my .02...

'There is no I in TEAM, but there are 3 I's in Multiple Personality Disorder'

WoW Characters:
Alliance Characters on Alleria - Horde Characters on Hellscream
Human Mage Kalina (Seamstress/Enchanter)
Human Priest Nightingale (Alchemist/Herbalist)
Dwarven Paladin Dumathoin (Blacksmith/Mining)

POST #4 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

f0gax is offline Old Post 06-29-2004 08:43 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for f0gax Find more posts by f0gax Add f0gax to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
f0gax

The "virus" in the Beastie Boys CD is only present in Europe (excluding UK). The US and UK get "naked" versions of the disc. I have successfully ripped my copy and loaded it on my iPod. No troubles.

That Velvet Revolver abomination is loaded with nasty DRM. Please avoid it entirely.

POST #5 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

scooterboy is offline Old Post 06-29-2004 09:28 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for scooterboy Find more posts by scooterboy Add scooterboy to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
scooterboy
Tastes like chicken.

Hmm - I've always thought the virus on Beastie Boys CDs was the "music" itself...

"It's hard for scooterboy to be humble because he's perfect in every way. " - Thaed

POST #6 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

SparkleMotion is offline Old Post 06-29-2004 10:10 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for SparkleMotion Find more posts by SparkleMotion Add SparkleMotion to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
SparkleMotion
Passive Aggressive

quote:
Originally posted by f0gax
The "virus" in the Beastie Boys CD is only present in Europe (excluding UK). The US and UK get "naked" versions of the disc.
Yes...the article above clearly specifies this.

The concern, of course, is that the practice exists at all. So it's not in the US release...THIS TIME. What about the next big release?

POST #7 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

kdmorse is offline Old Post 06-29-2004 10:17 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for kdmorse Find more posts by kdmorse Add kdmorse to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
kdmorse
Devil's Advocate

Grrr..... Not over the action (which is bad enough), but over the article itself...

Is what they are doing bad? Yes. Do they deserve to be slapped into the next century? Yes. Is this news? Yes.

But the terms "Virus" and "Infect" are completely inappropriate. It is not a virus. There is no infection.

Sure, it's an evil thing. But the blatantly incorrect statements are inexcusable...

-Ken

POST #8 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

montag is offline Old Post 06-29-2004 10:23 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for montag Find more posts by montag Add montag to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
montag
Rebel Without a Home

quote:
Originally posted by scooterboy
Hmm - I've always thought the virus on Beastie Boys CDs was the "music" itself...

Agree, over-rated 40 year olds!

POST #9 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

doom1701 is offline Old Post 06-29-2004 10:24 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for doom1701 Visit doom1701's homepage! Find more posts by doom1701 Add doom1701 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
doom1701
Mr. Oblivious

quote:
Originally posted by kdmorse
Grrr..... Not over the action (which is bad enough), but over the article itself...

Is what they are doing bad? Yes. Do they deserve to be slapped into the next century? Yes. Is this news? Yes.

But the terms "Virus" and "Infect" are completely inappropriate. It is not a virus. There is no infection.

Sure, it's an evil thing. But the blatantly incorrect statements are inexcusable...

-Ken

Technically, how is this not a virus? It "infects" the computer by modifying the system and hindering it's capabilities. Since it doesn't self replicate (God forbid the DRM crowd ever figure out a way to do that!), it's not a worm, but the terms "virus" and "infect" seem to be a good fit, although perhaps the term "Trojan" would be better than "virus".

Anybody need some wood?

POST #10 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

AaronD is offline Old Post 06-29-2004 10:26 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for AaronD Find more posts by AaronD Add AaronD to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
AaronD

quote:
Originally posted by kdmorse

-Ken

Virus: a computer program usually hidden within another seemingly innocuous program that produces copies of itself and inserts them into other programs and that usually performs a malicious action

Sounds like a virus to me. Why don't you think it qualifies?

- It's a computer program
- It's hidden in an innocuous program
- It copies itself and inserts into other programs
- It performs a malicious action

Just curious, not trying to give you a hard time. I love semantics!

POST #11 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

KRS is offline Old Post 06-29-2004 10:33 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for KRS Find more posts by KRS Add KRS to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
KRS
Mmm...invisible cola

360,000 US copies in its first week!

/wonders how many sales were exported to Europe

POST #12 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

hawkamer is offline Old Post 06-29-2004 10:34 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for hawkamer Find more posts by hawkamer Add hawkamer to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
hawkamer
Super Duper Member

Reps from the band posted that the DRM "does NOT install spyware or vaporware of any kind on a users PC." It's so surprising that someone working for a record label would be clueless with regards to technology!

Some of the Windows-based DRM installs programs that "mess" with your CD-ROM driver. To me, that's pretty close to a virus.

Since this stuff is widespread in Europe, I think it's only a matter of time before most albums are crippled in the U.S., too.

POST #13 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

kdmorse is offline Old Post 06-29-2004 10:41 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for kdmorse Find more posts by kdmorse Add kdmorse to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
kdmorse
Devil's Advocate

In order to be a virus it must have the ability the spread FROM an infected computer with human assistance, which this does not. A worm of course can spread from an infected computer without human assistance. A Trojan would be an ok fit, but not really. You are being tricked into installing it, but you also legally agree to having it installed because it is documented in the CD leaflet, and when inserting the CD into a computer you are implicitly agree to the printed license agreement (in tiny unreadable print of course) that you will never read. So it's not really a trojan, as it does exactly what it says it will do, even if it's not expected or wanted.

Malware is probably best. Inserting the CD installs Malware onto your machine through autoplay. All perfectly legal under current laws, except possibly in Utah. It may fall afoul of Utah's anti-spyware laws, the status of which I forget (I think they were struck down as unconstitutional?).

Now, I'm not defending it. It's evil, and more importantly, doomed to fail. Having just discovered that two weeks worth of system crashes were caused by the copy of CDilla the Mechwarrior 4 silently installed, the entire idea irritates the hell out of me. Anyone who installs something on your machine without your express and informed consent needs to be shot.

But it's not a virus...

-Ken

POST #14 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

SparkleMotion is offline Old Post 06-29-2004 10:44 PM
SparkleMotion
Passive Aggressive

People (by and large--particularly non-tech-types) are not keyed to respond to a term like "malware" yet.

But say "virus" and you get people's attention.

I don't have a problem with their headline suggesting a viral infection, so long as the body of the piece delineates the specifics of the infection accurately.

POST #15 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged