TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
>>> no more 800 # <<<

Pages (12): « Prev 1 [2] 3 4 5 Next » ... Last »  
Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
tater2 is offline Old Post 06-13-2001 09:15 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for tater2 Find more posts by tater2 Add tater2 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tater2
Tarheel Tivo

mabrym,

I hope that it is not true also. I am lucky because i do have a local number to call. I currently have two tivo's and could not imagine how much it would cost in monthly phone bills.

Hopefully it was only false information.

POST #21 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Mars Rocket is offline Old Post 06-13-2001 09:33 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Mars Rocket Find more posts by Mars Rocket Add Mars Rocket to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Mars Rocket
I want ice cream!

The e-mail sounds like it was something "Product Marketing Guy" heard in a meeting and repeated. While it may be true that TiVo will be discontinuing the use of the 800 number at some point in the future, I'd bet this is not how they intended to notify people.

When I moved to my present location there were no local dial-up #'s available, so I'm using the 800 #. I think there are now local #'s available, but nobody has ever asked me to switch to one of them.

POST #22 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

modnar is offline Old Post 06-13-2001 09:39 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for modnar Find more posts by modnar Add modnar to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
modnar

Cool

I live in a town of about 40,000, and we still don't have a local number. I know several people in this town with TiVos, and I would have to (sadly) abandon TiVo if I cannot continue to use the toll free number.

POST #23 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

FlashingTwelve is offline Old Post 06-13-2001 10:14 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for FlashingTwelve Find more posts by FlashingTwelve Add FlashingTwelve to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
FlashingTwelve
DELETED

quote:
Originally posted by walters:
Your profile says you're in NY, NY. They don't have a local number?

I don't have free-local call service. There is no such thing available in NY. That was the original criteria for gaining 800 authorisation when I got it 18 months ago. I would not pay $4/month for access. Cheapskate, maybe, but over the life of the Tivo (4 years) it is about the same cost as a subscription.

POST #24 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

walters is offline Old Post 06-13-2001 10:30 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for walters Find more posts by walters Add walters to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
walters
TiVo Forum Special Member

quote:
Originally posted by FlashingTwelve:
I would not pay $4/month for access. Cheapskate, maybe, but over the life of the Tivo (4 years) it is about the same cost as a subscription.

QED

------------------
Philips DSR6000 DirecTV with <FONT COLOR="#ff3333">T</FONT c><FONT COLOR="#33cc99">i</FONT c><FONT COLOR="#ff9900">V</FONT c><FONT COLOR="#9933ff">o</FONT c>
Vote for new TiVo features

POST #25 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

wa2joc is offline Old Post 06-13-2001 10:41 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for wa2joc Visit wa2joc's homepage! Find more posts by wa2joc Add wa2joc to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
wa2joc
Advanced Member

tater2:

Did you check the headers and ip address to see if the e-mail came from TiVo server?

POST #26 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

robertj49 is offline Old Post 06-13-2001 10:41 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for robertj49 Find more posts by robertj49 Add robertj49 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
robertj49

Red face

I tried to call TIVO to ask them about this, but nobody answered the 800 number anymore.....
(It's only a joke, a joke..)

POST #27 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

modnar is offline Old Post 06-13-2001 10:50 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for modnar Find more posts by modnar Add modnar to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
modnar

quote:
Originally posted by wa2joc:
Did you check the headers and ip address to see if the e-mail came from TiVo server?

Paste the SOURCE of the entire email here.

POST #28 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Dan203 is offline Old Post 06-13-2001 10:51 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Dan203 Visit Dan203's homepage! Find more posts by Dan203 Add Dan203 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dan203
Cyn-er

Cool

quote:
Originally posted by Bsteenson:
I have two TiVos. One of them has a faulty modem, so I do keep it disconnected from the phone line and only plug it in and force a call as necessary. That turns out to be at least every 5-6 days to keep listings current. When you do it that infrequently the call lasts 15-20 minutes.

That's only true of SA units! The original poster got this information in reply to a question about a DirecTiVo unit. The DirecTiVo units get all of their guide data from the sat feed. The only reason they need a phone line at all is to download data for TiVolution Magazine and Network Showcases, to check the status of your TiVo account, and to upload the DirecTV PPV stuff. Without guide data a once a week, or even month, call should take no longer then a once a day call.

Dan

------------------
Moderator: TiVo Coffee House, Help Center & Happy Hour

[This message has been edited by Dan203 (edited 06-13-2001).]

POST #29 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

rasheed is offline Old Post 06-14-2001 12:28 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for rasheed Find more posts by rasheed Add rasheed to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
rasheed
Advanced Member

The toll-free access is a total loss for TiVo. Subscribers who use the toll-free number cost more just for the daily phone call compared to any revenue received (monthly, yearly, or lifetime). I've done some simple analysis on this, and the cost of the call alone (not including network costs, data costs, customer service, etc.) can be between $12-$18 per month, per user considering wholesale 800-number rates (6 cents per minute).

From a shareholder point of view, it has to go. From a user point of view, the TiVo menu should allow more customized options (such as use an other ISP, reduce frequency of calls, more controlled timing of calls, etc.) before changing policy. Perhaps that email supposedly sent by TiVo is just a foreshadow of the more official announcement to come. If people stop using their TiVo because of this, it wouldn't be a loss on TiVo because they were losing much more on the phone calls alone. Again, I am not targeting toll-free users who don't have a local number (TiVo should get more local numbers).

This is a lost cause because no one offers daily toll-free access versus local number access without charging extra. TiVo should add more providers like McLeod, Navipath, Telia, etc. to their phone arsenal that would help many smaller regions get local access.

I saw one user in New York mention that they don't have local prefixes that are free. I believed that many of the CLEC competitive plans bundled free local calls or lots of included local minutes with a slightly higher monthly rate under that state's deregulation that is a great value from what I have read. Your local phone company is not your only choice (nor may it be your best choice). I assume you have looked into these options to reduce your monthly phone costs in general?

Ahh, here is AT&T's local stuff for NY. AT&T says that their plans include 'up to 75 hours' of local calls in their rates. http://www.local.att.com/ http://www.att.com/local_service/ny/ http://www.mciworld.com/for_your_ho...ny_splash.shtml Sprint has a product too.

Rasheed

Other previous ISP and TiVo talk: http://www.avsforum.com/ubbtivo/Forum1/HTML/006167.html

POST #30 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 06-14-2001 12:46 AM
Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tsang

I can't see how the possiblity of Tivo dropping 800 dial up can be justified. To have to pay an additional charge along with the subscription to have your Tivo perform as advertised is unacceptable. Especially when a lot of features do not work without the subscription. I am sure that they did a cost anaylsis of supplying a 800 number before launching Tivo, so there are no surprises to the cost. If it is true, then they had always planned on dropping 800 dial up, regardless of the impact to their customers.

POST #31 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Dan203 is offline Old Post 06-14-2001 12:55 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Dan203 Visit Dan203's homepage! Find more posts by Dan203 Add Dan203 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dan203
Cyn-er

Thumbs down

quote:
Originally posted by FlashingTwelve:
I don't have free-local call service. There is no such thing available in NY. That was the original criteria for gaining 800 authorisation when I got it 18 months ago. I would not pay $4/month for access. Cheapskate, maybe, but over the life of the Tivo (4 years) it is about the same cost as a subscription.

That's such a crock! There is no such thing as FREE local calls, some of us are just forced in to a unlimited access plan rather and others, like yourself, have a pay per use plan. For example here in Nevada I have to pay almost $20 a month for unlimited local calls on a phone line I that I use primarily for TiVo and an occasional call to the local Pizza Hut. Just because your phone company makes you pay on a per call basis, rather then a monthly payment, doesn't mean that TiVo should have to foot the bill for you to use their 800#. Hell if I could pay on a per call basis I would do it in a heart beat. $4 a month is a hell of a lot better then $20 a month for something I use maybe 2-3 hours a week.

Now I can understand people who use 800# access because the only local number is long distance, but I think that, if this is all true, they can fix that by expanding their networks or offering a "Use My ISP" option like rasheed suggested.

Dan

------------------
Moderator: TiVo Coffee House, Help Center & Happy Hour

POST #32 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Mike Lang is offline Old Post 06-14-2001 01:02 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Mike Lang Find more posts by Mike Lang Add Mike Lang to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Mike Lang
Super Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Dan203:
I have to pay almost $20 a month for unlimited local calls on a phone line I that I use primarily for TiVo and an occasional call to the local Pizza Hut.

I pay $65/mo for 2 lines w/ no long distance or extras. Just unlimited local calls.

------------------
Mike Lang
TiVo Moderator
<FONT COLOR="red">It's a PVR for God's sake...calm down!</FONT c>

POST #33 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 06-14-2001 01:25 AM
Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tsang

Wink

I pay $23 for two phone lines, unlimited local calls and only 7 cents a minute for long distant phone calls. But I don't know what this has to do with tivo possibly dropping 800 calls. :-)

POST #34 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

jerryez is offline Old Post 06-14-2001 01:36 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for jerryez Find more posts by jerryez Add jerryez to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jerryez

Cool

Why don't we complain about how much we are paying DirecTV, Cox (or whoever) cable, cable modem connection, ISP, etc, while we are at it. Wow, think of the money we could save, if we disconnected all of these and went back to an antenna.

Just kidding.

Jerry

POST #35 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

tater2 is offline Old Post 06-14-2001 01:38 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for tater2 Find more posts by tater2 Add tater2 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tater2
Tarheel Tivo

The email is at home. How do i do theses things?? I am using Outlook 200. I will do this when i get home tonight

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by wa2joc:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Paste the SOURCE of the entire email here.

POST #36 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Otto is offline Old Post 06-14-2001 01:53 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Otto Find more posts by Otto Add Otto to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Otto

quote:
Originally posted by tater2:
The email is at home. How do i do theses things?? I am using Outlook 200. I will do this when i get home tonight

Right click on the message and select "Properties", I think. Somewhere in here you can view the source of the message, including the headers. Copy and paste them.

------------------
Everything I say is my opinion and not necessarily a statement of fact. Deal with it.
Otto, Zen TiVo Master - Moderator - AVS Tivo Forums - Tivo Underground, Tivo Coffee House
"The way of the portable computer user is as a stony path strewn with plugs and sockets, all the wrong size..." -- Terry Pratchett

POST #37 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

modnar is offline Old Post 06-14-2001 02:07 AM
modnar

quote:
Originally posted by jerryez:
Why don't we complain about how much we are paying DirecTV, Cox (or whoever) cable, cable modem connection, ISP, etc, while we are at it. Wow, think of the money we could save, if we disconnected all of these and went back to an antenna.

Just kidding.

I know you're kidding, but the difference here is that only some customers would have to pay long distance charges if the toll free number is dropped.

The only fair way to drop the toll free number now is say something like, "Only customers registered before August 1, 2001, will be able to use the toll free number."

POST #38 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

modnar is offline Old Post 06-14-2001 02:28 AM
modnar

quote:
Originally posted by Dan203:
Now I can understand people who use 800# access because the only local number is long distance, but I think that, if this is all true, they can fix that by expanding their networks or offering a "Use My ISP" option like rasheed suggested.

That would have to be a dial-up ISP, right? Many people have cable modems DSL already, so, unless a serial connection would be allowed, that wouldn't be totally fair either.

POST #39 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

doom1701 is offline Old Post 06-14-2001 02:32 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for doom1701 Visit doom1701's homepage! Find more posts by doom1701 Add doom1701 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
doom1701
Mr. Oblivious

Another perfect example of why somebody needs to create a device that you can use to plug a regular phone device (such as your Tivo) into a cell phone. I get hundreds of minutes a month, no long distance charges, for nothing (well, my parents got my wife and I a year's service for Christmas.) Tops, though, you'd be looking at $35 a month for decent cell service with free long distance.

Someday, somebody that understands how to build something like this is going make millions. I'll buy one.

POST #40 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged