TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Main TiVo Forums > DIRECTV Receiver with TiVo
>>> "Blocky" Picture in Football, Basketball... <<<

Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
legalaliens is offline Old Post 12-08-2001 01:11 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for legalaliens Find more posts by legalaliens Add legalaliens to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
legalaliens

Post "Blocky" Picture in Football, Basketball...

I've noticed a blocky picture during wide angle shots of sporting events when there is a lot of motion (which is pretty often in a basketball game).

It doesn't always happen. Last nights Georgetown vs SC bball game was fine. But sometimes, it is very obvious.

?

POST #1 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

L is offline Old Post 12-08-2001 01:14 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for L Find more posts by L Add L to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
L

Wink

These are artifact of MPEG2 compression. MPEG breaks the screen into little 8x8 pixel blocks, which it then does other stuff to. When the compression is too high, or there is a lot of change in the signal (which is to say, the compression is too high for that moment in the signal), the fundamental blocks start showing.

Did you see this on a local channel? DirecTV compresses the dickens out of locals--something which will hopefully be changing when the new satellite comes on line later this month.

POST #2 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

legalaliens is offline Old Post 12-08-2001 01:21 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for legalaliens Find more posts by legalaliens Add legalaliens to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
legalaliens

Come to think of it, I have seen it on a local channel.

So it isn't likely a problem with my receiver and/or signal strength, is it?

[This message has been edited by legalaliens (edited 12-07-2001).]

POST #3 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Want1394 is offline Old Post 12-08-2001 01:22 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Want1394 Find more posts by Want1394 Add Want1394 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Want1394
TiVo Forum Special Member

The channels that are part of DTV's sports packages aren't compressed as much (surprise - an extra cost service) and look somewhat better.

------------------
TOTAL Digital

POST #4 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

L is offline Old Post 12-08-2001 01:23 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for L Find more posts by L Add L to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
L

Wink

If you're seeing normal video most of the time, it isn't your signal strength or receiver.

Compare what a basketball game looks like on your local station to what one looks like on EPSN and you'll see where the extra bandwidth went to.

Like I said, DirecTV-4S may improve the situation.

POST #5 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

danton3 is offline Old Post 12-08-2001 01:50 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for danton3 Find more posts by danton3 Add danton3 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
danton3

what do you make of this- -

in my living room i have a sony wega XBR and the picture is always perfect -- any channel -- unless of course there is signal problems (weather)

in my bedroom i have an older trinitron that i have these problems with during basketball -- its a little blotchy on some channels --- any one have an explantions for my situatino or am i just crazy?

------------------
da.

POST #6 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

L is offline Old Post 12-08-2001 03:32 AM
L

Wink

Unless the receiver in your bedroom is having issues, or the cable to it is poor or too long, I would chalk it up to the differences in video equipment.

Older receiver, older TV. Plus, your XBR may be set to zero sharpness (i.e., blur the picture--which hides blockiness).

POST #7 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

zaknafein is offline Old Post 12-08-2001 04:41 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for zaknafein Visit zaknafein's homepage! Find more posts by zaknafein Add zaknafein to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
zaknafein
iddqd

quote:
Originally posted by L:
Plus, your XBR may be set to zero sharpness (i.e., blur the picture--which hides blockiness).

EEEK!!!

Lowering the sharpness does not blur the picture. The propper setting for sharpness is almost always at the very lowest value. Sharpness does not actually improve picture quality, it only adds data that didn't exist in the original signal. This data has very little to do with the actual image, it only adds noise.

One of the few occasions where sharpness can be beneficial is if you are trying to read text over a composite video connection. Sharpness interpolates between the pixels, and can make text easier to read. Otherwise, turning on sharpness will only add distortion, especially with S-Video or component connections.

[This message has been edited by zaknafein (edited 12-07-2001).]

POST #8 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged