TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
>>> TiVo's new policy for Toll Free support for Daily Calls <<<

Pages (11): [1] 2 3 4 Next » ... Last »  
Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
TiVolutionary is offline Old Post 08-08-2001 11:22 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for TiVolutionary Find more posts by TiVolutionary Add TiVolutionary to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
TiVolutionary
Unemployed Geek

Cool TiVo's new policy for Toll Free support for Daily Calls

So, after a great deal of valuable input from you guys, and even more brainstorming and discussion internally, I am very pleased to announce TiVo's new policy for Toll Free Support, effective August 8, 2001.

All currently subscribed DIRECTV receivers with TiVo Service and standalone TiVo receivers for which service was activated prior to August 8, 2001 will continue to have access to the toll free number for daily calls for now. We continue to investigate more cost effective ways to get data to those receivers, but for now they will not be cut off from the toll free number. Also, any box activated with service prior to August 8th which is replaced because of some failure and is eligible to have service transferred to the new receiver is also eligible to have access to toll free number transferred to the replacement receiver. Those rules are posted, but basically if your hardware manufacturer replaces your receiver free or for some charge, or you have a replacement service contract through an authorized retailer, you can transfer the service and toll free access.

However, all Standalone TiVo receivers activated on August 8th, 2001 or later will be denied daily call access using the toll free numbers. This includes receivers bought after August 7th by customers who already own TiVo receivers that are eligible for toll free access.

Of course, even if you have a receiver that is eligible for Toll Free access, we do ask that you check every now and then to see if a local POP number is available in your area, and we may send you a message to remind you to check every now and then.

I hope you all find this a fair way for TiVo to implement this very important cost-savings measure.

Cheers,
-RB

POST #1 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

modnar is offline Old Post 08-08-2001 12:01 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for modnar Find more posts by modnar Add modnar to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
modnar

Thanks for the announcement. This does seem like a fair way to implement this.

Can you tell us if there was there was a noticable difference in toll-free use after the PTCM asking us to check for local numbers?

[This message has been edited by modnar (edited 08-08-2001).]

POST #2 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 08-08-2001 12:06 PM
Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Klips

When I got my first DirecTiVo unit, there was no local number. Happily there was an 800 number to use. Today, I am using a local number. So either way, I am covered.

But, I do have a question. Why not force any user that has a local number to use it? And, let anyone who doesn't use the 800 number. I know I sure would have second thoughts if I was paying for long-distance calling.

I guess unless there is some content difference, why would I want to use an 800 number or a local number?

Wouldn't it be in TiVo's best interest to keep road blocks, like long-distance charges, from getting in the way of new customers?

To tell you the truth until I started reading this forum, I never thought twice about what number was being dialed. Has TiVo ever considered sending out an email asking people to check? Or better yet, why not consider a campaign to automatically change them over. By referencing your own customer info and the call-in from phone number for each receiver, you could do monthly checks for local phone service. Then automatically run a diagnostic loop to verify that the local number is local and works, otherwise default them back to the 800 number. Of course I took the liberty to over simplify the task.

I don't know if any of this makes any sense or if someone else has already suggested it. Just know that I did my part.

Klips

POST #3 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 08-08-2001 12:18 PM
Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
rammy

I always preferred the 800 number to the local. Just a personal preference.

POST #4 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Leon WIlkinson is offline Old Post 08-08-2001 12:29 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Leon WIlkinson Find more posts by Leon WIlkinson Add Leon WIlkinson to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Leon WIlkinson
Drink and be saved

quote:
Originally posted by TiVolutionary:

However, all Standalone TiVo receivers activated on August 8th, 2001 or later will be denied daily call access using the toll free numbers. This includes receivers bought after August 7th by customers who already own TiVo receivers that are eligible for toll free access.

Cheers,
-RB

So there won't be any 800 # option for new boxes? not even a monthly fee option? I just thought of one way to make the calls a little less expensive. Have a option for TiVo not drop the line. If you pickup the line with 3 seconds left, Tivo has to start all over, right?

------------------
TiVo owners in the fight against cancer

TV Guide for $8 a month, or TiVo service for $10, sounds like a easy choice to me!!

<A HREF="http://www.avsforum.com/ubbtivo/Forum4/HTML/001652.html" TARGET=_blank><FONT size="6">TiVo ISP support,please!!</FONT s></A>

[This message has been edited by Leon WIlkinson (edited 08-08-2001).]

POST #5 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

samo is offline Old Post 08-08-2001 12:46 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for samo Visit samo's homepage! Find more posts by samo Add samo to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
samo

quote:
Wouldn't it be in TiVo's best interest to keep road blocks, like long-distance charges, from getting in the way
of new customers?

TiVo probably looked at all the stats before making this decision, but to casual observer it seem to be a hard sell.
You are telling to the new user who has no idea what TiVo does or how long the long distance calls are that not only it requires service to do anything at all (at least units shipped with 2.0) but that he also has to pay undetermined amount in phone charges if he doesn't have a local number.
I know if I was in this situation, I would bring it back the next day. I think that better solution would be to establish fixed surcharge for use of 800 number. But of course I don't have all the facts. It is possible that TiVo sales in places without local numbers are negligible.

POST #6 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Michael Gwynn is offline Old Post 08-08-2001 01:50 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Michael Gwynn Find more posts by Michael Gwynn Add Michael Gwynn to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Michael Gwynn
Advanced Member

quote:
Originally posted by samo:
But of course I don't have all the facts. It is possible that TiVo sales in places without local numbers are negligible.

And neither do I. But I'd hate to lose those guys.

rammy, please use the local number. It saves Tivo money.

------------------

John Hancock

POST #7 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

DrStrange is offline Old Post 08-08-2001 05:52 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for DrStrange Visit DrStrange's homepage! Find more posts by DrStrange Add DrStrange to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DrStrange
Advanced Member

Is there a list of Tivo POPs or does Tivo use all UUNET POPs and only UUNET POPs making UUNETs lookup page sufficient?

If it isn't it'd be nice if Tivo had one. Replay does. Even if it is Tivo ought to at least provide a pointer on their site to UUNETs lookup

POST #8 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

TivoFamily is offline Old Post 08-08-2001 06:29 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for TivoFamily Find more posts by TivoFamily Add TivoFamily to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
TivoFamily

quote:
Originally posted by rammy:

Why?

POST #9 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

uw69 is offline Old Post 08-08-2001 06:30 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for uw69 Find more posts by uw69 Add uw69 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
uw69

Great solution to a tough problem for Tivo. My daughter uses one of my Tivo's while away at college and of course there is no local telephone number (Ellensburg, Wash) so I apreciate the use of the toll free number.

I suppuse someone just activating a new Tivo, won't feel this is a very good solution.

------------------
(1) 14 hour Philips
(1) 30 hour Philips
(2) 20 hour Philips gifts
(2) Philips DTivo

It's ONLY television!!

POST #10 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

andyf is offline Old Post 08-08-2001 06:45 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for andyf Visit andyf's homepage! Find more posts by andyf Add andyf to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
andyf
Long time TiVo user

The problem is, how does TiVo know whos calling it's 800 number without answering the phone and checking serial numbers. The unit can still use up 800 number access.

Oh, maybe they can use caller ID, and not answer the phone if you're not allowed to use it.

I can't wait to see where this thread's gonna go - or
------------------
Andy

[This message has been edited by andyf (edited 08-08-2001).]

[This message has been edited by andyf (edited 08-08-2001).]

POST #11 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Xaa is offline Old Post 08-08-2001 07:37 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Xaa Find more posts by Xaa Add Xaa to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Xaa
TiVo Forum Special Member

I don't think this thread will go south. The new policy only covers new subscribers. Nothing is being taken away from anybody. If a new subscriber chooses to subscribe, they are electing to use Tivo's policies.

Whether anyone feels it's a good or bad policy is irrelevant. The new subscribers will know going in.

Xaa

POST #12 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

rhoatson is offline Old Post 08-08-2001 07:47 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for rhoatson Find more posts by rhoatson Add rhoatson to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
rhoatson

quote:
Originally posted by Xaa:
The new policy only covers new subscribers. Nothing is being taken away from anybody.
Xaa

Two big words you may have overlooked from Richards post:

quote:
Originally posted by Tivolutionary:
All currently subscribed DIRECTV receivers with TiVo Service and standalone TiVo receivers for which service was activated prior to August 8, 2001 will continue to have access to the toll free number for daily calls for now.

[This message has been edited by rhoatson (edited 08-08-2001).]

POST #13 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Xaa is offline Old Post 08-08-2001 07:52 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Xaa Find more posts by Xaa Add Xaa to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Xaa
TiVo Forum Special Member

If/when those two words change so will my opinion. I have a local number so the decision doesn't affect me, but I do think it's bad business to take something away from your customers forcing them to spend more money than they originally bargained for. That's not what's happened here so far and I'm going to believe/hope that it won't happen.

Xaa

POST #14 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

rhoatson is offline Old Post 08-08-2001 07:57 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for rhoatson Find more posts by rhoatson Add rhoatson to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
rhoatson

Agreed Xaa.

I have a local too. That those two words needed to be there are what bothers me.

POST #15 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Bryanmc is offline Old Post 08-08-2001 08:29 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Bryanmc Visit Bryanmc's homepage! Find more posts by Bryanmc Add Bryanmc to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bryanmc
Will work for money.

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by TivoFamily:
Why?

This guy's been exposed, pay him no mind.

------------------
<FONT size="2"><FONT face="Comic Sans MS"><FONT COLOR="blue">"Always in motion is the future."</FONT c> -Yoda</FONT f></FONT s>

POST #16 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

brott is offline Old Post 08-08-2001 08:33 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for brott Find more posts by brott Add brott to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
brott

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Michael Gwynn:
Rammy, please use the local number. It saves Tivo money.

We shouldn't feed the trolls

Seriously, though, I agree, the toll-free number should not be abused. However, TiVo doesn't really have a choice. Some people will not change a mis-configured system unless they are forced to. If TiVo wants to save money on these calls, then they need to come up with a plan. I liked klips idea of checking the calling number .. Allow it once for a few days and deliver a message to the box with instructions for changing to a local number. If a successful local number has been used, then allow toll-free access again. This would support moving the box to a new location (which might not have local # access).

While I agree that TiVo should do something to control access to their toll-free lines, I think that there is a more technologically savvy way to do it that would allow customers outside of the "service" area. On the other hand, if TiVo is simply ignoring this market due to the cost, they've already chosen the correct way to implement it.

------------------
-brott
DTV in '94
T60 in '00

POST #17 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

CoosCoos is offline Old Post 08-08-2001 08:39 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for CoosCoos Find more posts by CoosCoos Add CoosCoos to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CoosCoos

quote:
Originally posted by TiVolutionary:
This includes receivers bought after August 7th . . .

I don't remember giving TiVo the right to use my Wedding Anniversary as a date for policy changes. RB, please forward the necessary royalties to me and my wife . . .

Seriously, I think this is very fair.

------------------
Cous cous is the food.
CoosCoos is your online hero.

POST #18 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

NoteTaker is offline Old Post 08-08-2001 08:48 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for NoteTaker Find more posts by NoteTaker Add NoteTaker to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
NoteTaker
Advanced Member

quote:
Originally posted by rhoatson:
Agreed Xaa.

I have a local too. That those two words needed to be there are what bothers me.

Anyone who tell you that things will never change is selling you something. RB is playing above board.

------------------
Smilies anyone?

More smilies

POST #19 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

scooterboy is offline Old Post 08-08-2001 08:52 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for scooterboy Find more posts by scooterboy Add scooterboy to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
scooterboy
Tastes like chicken.

I am a 1-800 user, and recently checked the Tivo local number list. I found that there is now a local number that I can dial.

However, I remain a 1-800 # user. Why? Because my local calling plan allows me 30 calls/month before they start to charge 16 cents/minute.

The Tivo daily call alone will use up my monthly allowance. I don't make that many local calls, but I don't relish the idea of paying 16 cent/minute for them.

So, I offer what I feel is a fair deal to Tivo: give me the ability to choose the Tivo's call frequency, and I'll switch to the local number.

If I could set the Tivo to dial every other day (or every third day), the problem would be solved for many like me with restricted local calling plans.

I saw a suggestion in another thread about plugging a wireless phone unit into a timer, but I don't really want to spend any more bucks on the Tivo right now.

If anyone knows of a free way to make the phone line unavailable to my Tivo every other day (other than manually), I'm open to suggestions...

------------------
"If you're not passing anyone, get the hell out of the passing lane!"

POST #20 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged