TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
>>> TiVo's new policy for Toll Free support for Daily Calls <<<

Pages (11): « Prev 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 Next » ... Last »  
Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Old Post 08-08-2001 10:42 PM
Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
arjay

quote:
Originally posted by dgh:
Simple checks based on area code and zip code are apparently not 100% certain.

If it wouldn't cost more than an arm (not a leg) if TiVo emulated ReplayTV's offering of dial-in and provider info such would be quite helpful and would be appreciated by new subs.

The final responsibility, as always, to determine a number's toll status is with the purchaser.

The thing which TiVo's gotta' do is let potential new customers know the policy change before they leave the store. A lost immediate sale isn't near as critical as eliminating a source of widespread complaints if people buy TiVo's and then find their phone bill's skyrocketing.

POST #41 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 08-08-2001 10:46 PM
arjay

quote:
Originally posted by rammy:
It is difficult to determine what is a local call and it changes.

All ya' gotta' do is dial the "O" Operator and ask.

You've lost all credibility dude!

POST #42 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Otto is offline Old Post 08-08-2001 10:52 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Otto Find more posts by Otto Add Otto to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Otto

quote:
Originally posted by Bryanmc:
I'm really not basing anything I've said on this thread or any comments therein, simply from past evidence. I'm simply supporting and acknowledging the conclusion of a moderator.

So, I'll chill on this for now, but the evidence is there.

Agreed, evidence is there, but there's no need to go totally offtopic in a given thread, just to go out of your way to make a comment about someone, which is what was going on in here. Stick to the point. If he posts FUD, then call him on the FUD, but keep it under the level of tossing insults at him. Despite how much it's true, it undermines your side of the argument, plus it leads to a bunch of others chiming in saying "yeah, he's a troll all right" and it rapidly becomes ridiculous.

I didn't mean to pick you out personally, BTW, I just picked one of the posts at random. Still, there's no need for it, when saying "no, your view makes no sense" will work just as well. Just please try to stick to the topics, okay?

------------------
<FONT size="1">All comments made in this post are my opinion and my opinion alone. Deal with it.
Otto, Zen TiVo Master - Moderator - AVS Tivo Forums - Tivo Underground, Tivo Coffee House
"The way of the portable computer user is as a stony path strewn with plugs and sockets, all the wrong size..." -- Terry Pratchett</FONT s>

POST #43 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Mike Lang is offline Old Post 08-08-2001 10:52 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Mike Lang Find more posts by Mike Lang Add Mike Lang to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Mike Lang
Super Moderator

Question

quote:
I prefer 800 #

Didn't you tell us you ebay'd your TiVo?

------------------
Mike Lang
TiVo Moderator
<FONT COLOR="red">It's a PVR for God's sake...calm down!</FONT c>

POST #44 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

dgh is offline Old Post 08-08-2001 10:58 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for dgh Find more posts by dgh Add dgh to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dgh
TiVo Forum Special Member

quote:
Originally posted by arjay:
The thing which TiVo's gotta' do is let potential new customers know the policy change before they leave the store. A lost immediate sale isn't near as critical as eliminating a source of widespread complaints if people buy TiVo's and then find their phone bill's skyrocketing.

I'm wondering what the average customer standing in a Circuit City is going to do with this information? If it were me, I'd get it anyway and rely on the 30 day return if it doesn't work out.

My Sony box just says access to a phone line is required. It doesn't say anything about a toll free number being available (or not.) I first heard about toll free access here.

------------------
Dave Hicks

POST #45 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

walters is offline Old Post 08-08-2001 11:05 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for walters Find more posts by walters Add walters to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
walters

quote:
Originally posted by DrStrange:
Replay has a local number lookup here. Tivo needs to have same now that they don't have toll free coverage.

It doesn't work. It just gives you the numbers that are in the same LATA as you. It gave me 14 numbers, and I'd guess that about 10 of those are toll calls. It is impossible to create and maintain an application to determine if two arbitrary numbers are within a free calling zone.

------------------
Philips DSR6000 DirecTV with <FONT COLOR="#ff3333">T</FONT c><FONT COLOR="#33cc99">i</FONT c><FONT COLOR="#ff9900">V</FONT c><FONT COLOR="#9933ff">o</FONT c>
Vote for new TiVo features

POST #46 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

samo is offline Old Post 08-08-2001 11:26 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for samo Visit samo's homepage! Find more posts by samo Add samo to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
samo

quote:
It is impossible to create and maintain an application to determine if two arbitrary numbers are within a free calling zone.

Phone company does it somehow, so it must be possible. But it is much easier to let customer pick the number.

POST #47 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

DrStrange is offline Old Post 08-08-2001 11:26 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for DrStrange Visit DrStrange's homepage! Find more posts by DrStrange Add DrStrange to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DrStrange
Advanced Member

It doesn't have to tell you only the numbers that are free, just which are somewhere near you. A too-wide net is better than a too-narrow one. Most people can easily spot which if any of the numbers are really local, just as you did, or they can dial the operator as arjay suggested. The point is they need this information before they buy, not after.

POST #48 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

UMJ is offline Old Post 08-08-2001 11:36 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for UMJ Find more posts by UMJ Add UMJ to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
UMJ

This isn't good news. Tivo better get more local numbers in the areas that only have 1 number. People will be saying no to toll calls if they can't get 800 service.

------------------
" What's A VCR Again???"

POST #49 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Opusnbill7 is offline Old Post 08-08-2001 11:37 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Opusnbill7 Find more posts by Opusnbill7 Add Opusnbill7 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Opusnbill7

Maybe I'm too simple minded, but why doesn't Tivo make a small change in their dialup code. Something along the lines of:

if (number=tollfree)
dialfrequency=every2-5 days;
if (number=local)
dialfrequency=1 day;

I realize this MIGHT make some peoples guide data out of date, but that's really an issue they can take up with Tribune also (since Tribune is the one who often screws it up in the first place).

POST #50 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 08-08-2001 11:39 PM
rammy

quote:
Originally posted by arjay:
All ya' gotta' do is dial the "O" Operator and ask.

You've lost all credibility dude!

No, it is not that easy and things change without notication. Why do you have to keep making personal attacks? I think you would be well off seeking anger management classes. Either way, I usually just ignore you and will continue to.

POST #51 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

walters is offline Old Post 08-08-2001 11:41 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for walters Find more posts by walters Add walters to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
walters

quote:
Originally posted by samo:
Phone company does it somehow, so it must be possible. But it is much easier to let customer pick the number.

There is no "phone company", and that's my point. Each Regional Bell Operating Company knows how to charge their own customers. But getting that data from those companies and especially maintaining it (with area code splits and overlays happening all the time) would not be easy. I know computer geeks think it's just a database table, mapping area code + prefix pairs that are "free", but telephony geeks know it's a whole lot more complicated than that.

But, of course, I should probably have said "almost impossible"

------------------
Philips DSR6000 DirecTV with <FONT COLOR="#ff3333">T</FONT c><FONT COLOR="#33cc99">i</FONT c><FONT COLOR="#ff9900">V</FONT c><FONT COLOR="#9933ff">o</FONT c>
Vote for new TiVo features

POST #52 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Otto is offline Old Post 08-08-2001 11:41 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Otto Find more posts by Otto Add Otto to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Otto

quote:
No, it is not that easy and things change without notication.

Yes, actually it is that easy. Every operator in the country will give you local call information for free. Not a widely known fact, but it's true. Call them and say "how much will it cost me to call XXX-XXXX" and they will look it up and tell you.

------------------
<FONT size="1">All comments made in this post are my opinion and my opinion alone. Deal with it.
Otto, Zen TiVo Master - Moderator - AVS Tivo Forums - Tivo Underground, Tivo Coffee House
"The way of the portable computer user is as a stony path strewn with plugs and sockets, all the wrong size..." -- Terry Pratchett</FONT s>

POST #53 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

barclay is offline Old Post 08-08-2001 11:48 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for barclay Visit barclay's homepage! Find more posts by barclay Add barclay to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
barclay
Advanced Member

quote:
Originally posted by Opusnbill7:
Maybe I'm too simple minded, but why doesn't Tivo make a small change in their dialup code. Something along the lines of:

if (number=tollfree)
dialfrequency=every2-5 days;
if (number=local)
dialfrequency=1 day;

I beleive that RB mentioned in another thread that this wouldn't help. TiVo would still be spending as much on the calls, since the daily calls would now last 2-5 times as long as normal.

It might help for people that are forced to call long distance, where 30 5 minute calls cost more than 10 15 minute calls. But I still think the best answer is to add local ISP support instead of helping a few people with akward calling plans.

POST #54 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 08-08-2001 11:49 PM
rammy

quote:
Originally posted by Mike Lang:
Didn't you tell us you ebay'd your TiVo?

No I said I was going to and some other changed it from intent to presently selling or sold.

POST #55 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 08-08-2001 11:52 PM
arjay

quote:
No, it is not that easy and things change without notication. Why do you have to keep making personal attacks? I think you would be well off seeking anger management classes. Either way, I usually just ignore you and will continue to.

Tell ya' what; don't make stupid FUD, or viciously cute comments and you're ignored.

But if and when you do make such comments I'll respond every time I see 'em if it makes sense in the larger context.

Your comment about using the 800# when you have a toll free local # was a viciously cute one but as it was obviously stupidly vicious it didn't need me to respond to it.

Telephone number toll status doesn't change often. It specifically doesn't change with area code changes. It's incredibly easy to find out if a number is a toll call or not. That's one of the last free services the phone company provides ('cause they have to by law.)

[This message has been edited by arjay (edited 08-08-2001).]

POST #56 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 08-08-2001 11:53 PM
sven11

quote:
Originally posted by Otto:
Alright, that's bloody well enough. Next person says anything out of line will get smacked *SO HARD*.

If you don't have anything nice to say, then just shut the heck up. I'm sick of this. One more time, JUST ONE, and I'll start closing threads left and right, buddy. This is just way out of control.

This is said to everyone, not just to Bryan, okay? I'm just tired of the bashing.

Right On !!!!!!
If you believe the definition of a "troll" is someone "fishing for a reaction", then I'm sure I've seen examples of Pro-Tivo trollers, as well as Anti-Tivo trollers, throughout this forum.

POST #57 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 08-08-2001 11:55 PM
rammy

quote:
Originally posted by Otto:
Yes, actually it is that easy. Every operator in the country will give you local call information for free. Not a widely known fact, but it's true. Call them and say "how much will it cost me to call XXX-XXXX" and they will look it up and tell you.

You seem like a smart guy otto, so I'll look into that, but what about the problem of it changing? If it changes, how will I know before I see it on my bill?

I just don't see any reason to go out of my way possibly taking on phone charges for tivo since they still won't even admit to the stutter bug which I have. At least it is not getting worse.

POST #58 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 08-09-2001 12:08 AM
arjay

quote:
Originally posted by dgh:
I'm wondering what the average customer standing in a Circuit City is going to do with this information? If it were me, I'd get it anyway and rely on the 30 day return if it doesn't work out.

If a new TiVo prospect sees that daily telephone calls are required and many toll free local numbers are available but it's up to the customer to pay for the calls if a toll free number isn't available s/he can make an informed buying decision.

Many people probably will choose to buy with a 30 day return option. That's good. But no one would have an excuse to make negative recommendations or comments based on ignorance. TiVo customer service should benefit from not having to provide this info after a purchase. It's just a good business practice.

POST #59 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

logic88 is offline Old Post 08-09-2001 12:09 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for logic88 Find more posts by logic88 Add logic88 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
logic88

At the risk of bringing up a sore subject, why doesn't TiVO simply allow the use of an ISP dialup as an alternative? And if AOL-TimeWarner is an investor, how 'bout letting TiVO use AOL dialups as well?

POST #60 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged