TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
>>> TiVo's new policy for Toll Free support for Daily Calls <<<

Pages (11): « Prev 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 Next » ... Last »  
Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
CoosCoos is offline Old Post 08-09-2001 12:10 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for CoosCoos Find more posts by CoosCoos Add CoosCoos to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CoosCoos

quote:
Originally posted by rammy:
I just don't see any reason to go out of my way possibly taking on phone charges for tivo since they still won't even admit to the stutter bug which I have. At least it is not getting worse.

Anybody smell bait?

As far as I'm concerned, TiVo is such a great thing that I'd be fine paying a few extra bucks each month to the phone company.

This is a fair decision by TiVo, and I can't see that many people being effected by it.

------------------
Cous cous is the food.
CoosCoos is your online hero.

POST #61 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

dgh is offline Old Post 08-09-2001 12:13 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for dgh Find more posts by dgh Add dgh to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dgh
TiVo Forum Special Member

quote:

No I said I was going to and some other changed it from intent to presently selling or sold.

Then why did you tell us that you wouldn't tell us the auction number because someone could use it to get your home address?

------------------
Dave Hicks

POST #62 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Mike Lang is offline Old Post 08-09-2001 12:13 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Mike Lang Find more posts by Mike Lang Add Mike Lang to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Mike Lang
Super Moderator

Question

quote:

No I said I was going to and some other changed it from intent to presently selling or sold.

What convinced you to keep it?

------------------
Mike Lang
TiVo Moderator
<FONT COLOR="red">It's a PVR for God's sake...calm down!</FONT c>

POST #63 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Dan203 is offline Old Post 08-09-2001 12:15 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Dan203 Visit Dan203's homepage! Find more posts by Dan203 Add Dan203 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dan203
Cyn-er

Cool

quote:
If it changes, how will I know before I see it on my bill?

Your phone company will alert you of a local toll change well before it actually happens!

quote:
I just don't see any reason to go out of my way possibly taking on phone charges for tivo since they still won't even admit to the stutter bug which I have. At least it is not getting worse.

I thought your TiVo died via the Green Screen of Death, and you got a DishPVR instead?

quote:
Originally posted by logic88:
At the risk of bringing up a sore subject, why doesn't TiVO simply allow the use of an ISP dialup as an alternative? And if AOL-TimeWarner is an investor, how 'bout letting TiVO use AOL dialups as well?

Richard mentioned in another thread that this might be an option. However it's going to take a software upgrade, so I wouldn't expect it until at least 3.0, or possibly later.

Dan

------------------
Moderator: TiVo Coffee House, Help Center & Happy Hour

POST #64 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

forecheck is offline Old Post 08-09-2001 12:21 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for forecheck Find more posts by forecheck Add forecheck to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
forecheck

I have had phone service for over 10 years with 3 different phone companies. Never have I had my local calling area changed. I have never even heard of the local calling area changing. When they split the area code, calls were still local even though now I had to dial to different area code. I can't imagine this being a problem since you never hear people complaining that all of a sudden their ISP is no longer local, and millions of people have dial up internet access. And if they did change the local calling area, they would give you at least 30 days written notice.

quote:
You seem like a smart guy otto, so I'll look into that, but what about the problem of it changing? If it changes, how will I know before I see it on my bill?

POST #65 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 08-09-2001 12:26 AM
Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
arjay

quote:
Originally posted by sven11:
Right On !!!!!!
If you believe the definition of a "troll" is someone "fishing for a reaction", then I'm sure I've seen examples of Pro-Tivo trollers, as well as Anti-Tivo trollers, throughout this forum.

Pro-TiVo trollers are exempted from the trolling rules governing general trolling in a public waterway but only here at the TiVo Forums. And they still may find themselves enmeshed within the nets of other passing posters who may want to respond.

You're right though that trollers are out fishing for a reaction. Because of that I edited my post above as follows:
quote:

But if and when you do make such comments I'll respond every time I see 'em if it makes sense in the larger context.

Your comment about using the 800# when you have a toll free local # was a viciously cute one but as it was obviously stupidly vicious it didn't need me to respond to it.

[This message has been edited by arjay (edited 08-08-2001).]

POST #66 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

scooterboy is offline Old Post 08-09-2001 12:38 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for scooterboy Find more posts by scooterboy Add scooterboy to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
scooterboy
Tastes like chicken.

quote:
Originally posted by dgh:
Where I live the cheapest plan gives you unlimited calls within a VERY small radius. That was fine for me but I needed to upgrade once I got TiVo. The good news is that a more reasonable radius was available for just a few dollars per month more. (MUCH less than 30 "long distance" calls per month on the cheaper plan.)

New users with your calling plan would probably want to review their options.

My 30 local calls per month plan costs $6-$7. To upgrade to unlimited locals calls bumps that up to $25/month. Unfortunately, there's nothing in the middle.

If the upgrade had been only a few dollars, I would have done it and let my Tivo dial the local number.

------------------
"If you're not passing anyone, get the hell out of the passing lane!"

POST #67 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Bryanmc is offline Old Post 08-09-2001 12:40 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Bryanmc Visit Bryanmc's homepage! Find more posts by Bryanmc Add Bryanmc to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bryanmc
Will work for money.

quote:
Originally posted by scooterboy:
My 30 local calls per month plan costs $6-$7. To upgrade to unlimited locals calls bumps that up to $25/month. Unfortunately, there's nothing in the middle.

If the upgrade had been only a few dollars, I would have done it and let my Tivo dial the local number.

So do you rely on a cell phone for your calls? I can't imagine only making one local call a day.

How does it handle incoming calls?

------------------
<FONT size="2"><FONT face="Comic Sans MS"><FONT COLOR="blue">"Always in motion is the future."</FONT c> -Yoda</FONT f></FONT s>

POST #68 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Otto is offline Old Post 08-09-2001 12:41 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Otto Find more posts by Otto Add Otto to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Otto

What is a "local" call is not defined by area code, in most cases. It's a prefix thing and is highly dependent upon who your local carrier is and where you are. Nevertheless, the operator knows all and will tell you what's up.

But, local calling areas generally only get larger as they add prefixes. Never smaller. What is a local call to you now will likely always remain a local call, unless they do drastic reordering of your calling area (never seen this actually occur).

------------------
<FONT size="1">All comments made in this post are my opinion and my opinion alone. Deal with it.
Otto, Zen TiVo Master - Moderator - AVS Tivo Forums - Tivo Underground, Tivo Coffee House
"The way of the portable computer user is as a stony path strewn with plugs and sockets, all the wrong size..." -- Terry Pratchett</FONT s>

POST #69 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

scooterboy is offline Old Post 08-09-2001 12:57 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for scooterboy Find more posts by scooterboy Add scooterboy to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
scooterboy
Tastes like chicken.

quote:
Originally posted by Bryanmc:
So do you rely on a cell phone for your calls? I can't imagine only making one local call a day.

How does it handle incoming calls?

As I mentioned in a previous post, we make very few local calls per month because our family, friends, and jobs are all non-local. Our local calls consist of ordering pizza, movie listings for the local theater, and an occasional call to a neighbor. I'm guessing we average less than 1 dozen local calls per month.

If I let Tivo use up my 30 calls/month, I'm paying 16 cents a minute for the rest (or $19/month more for the unlimited plan).

Incoming calls do not count as part of the 30/month. Even if they did, it wouldn't be many (pizza place and movie theater don't usually call us).

I hope my posts in this thread aren't coming across as whining - there are many in worse positions than me.

Maybe my situation is an anomaly - I don't know. If I'm one of the few standing between Tivo and financial bliss, then I'll happily take one for the team...

------------------
"If you're not passing anyone, get the hell out of the passing lane!"

POST #70 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Otto is offline Old Post 08-09-2001 01:02 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Otto Find more posts by Otto Add Otto to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Otto

I agree that you should be able to reduce the frequency of the calls. One call a day is a bit of overkill for some people (including scooter). Once a week would be plenty, even though you may miss "late breaking" data that's becoming a bit more common now.

From a hacking standpoint, it would not be very difficult to change the dial-in script to only allow it to dial on, say, Monday. Just add a few lines at the top that says something like (psuedo): if (today != Monday) exit;

------------------
<FONT size="1">All comments made in this post are my opinion and my opinion alone. Deal with it.
Otto, Zen TiVo Master - Moderator - AVS Tivo Forums - Tivo Underground, Tivo Coffee House
"The way of the portable computer user is as a stony path strewn with plugs and sockets, all the wrong size..." -- Terry Pratchett</FONT s>

POST #71 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 08-09-2001 01:16 AM
rammy

quote:
Then why did you tell us that you wouldn't tell us the auction number because someone could use it to get your home address?

Because it shifted from what was really going on to an attempt to find my personal information. I became intersted in that.

Guys, don't take me so personally, I don't have a problem with you people, my issues are with a corporaton called tivo, and it is not even a big deal, it's just about a personal video recorder and a management that has made some decisions that I believe are unethical. Most importantly, the decision to deny the stutter bug.

POST #72 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

dgh is offline Old Post 08-09-2001 01:21 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for dgh Find more posts by dgh Add dgh to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dgh

quote:
Because it shifted from what was really going on to an attempt to find my personal information. I became intersted in that.

As I asked before - how do we get your personal information from an auction number? At the time I asked this of an actual (supposedly) existing auction. Now I'd also like to know how we can get your personal information from an ebay auction that doesn't actually exist?

In the future, I'd suggest that you plot out your story line thinking about as many ramifications and responses as you can up-front and then stick to it. Sometimes people will be able to poke small holes in your story but it's usually better to stick to it then to embellish it on-the-fly. This whole "I'm ebaying my TiVo" plot line now reads a lot like an episode of "Columbo"

------------------
Dave Hicks

POST #73 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 08-09-2001 01:30 AM
rammy

quote:
As I asked before - how do we get your personal information from an auction number? At the time I asked this of an actual (supposedly) existing auction. Now I'd also like to know how we can get your personal information from an ebay auction that doesn't actually exist?

In the future, I'd suggest that you plot out your story line thinking about as many ramifications and responses as you can up-front and then stick to it. Sometimes people will be able to poke small holes in your story but it's usually better to stick to it then to embellish it on-the-fly. This whole "I'm ebaying my TiVo" plot line now reads a lot like an episode of "Columbo"

I never said I was auctioning it, I said I was going to auciton it. Then someone asked me what the auction number was even if it was over. A clear attempt to obtain my personal information. You can get anyones personal information who is a registered eBay user if you have their eBay id.

If you need to pretend I said things I didn't so you can then insult me, then whatever. I'll not be respoding to your post anymore.

POST #74 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

dgh is offline Old Post 08-09-2001 01:40 AM
dgh

quote:
I never said I was auctioning it, I said I was going to auciton it. Then someone asked me what the auction number was even if it was over. A clear attempt to obtain my personal information. You can get anyones personal information who is a registered eBay user if you have their eBay id.

As a registered ebay user I ask again - how do you get personal information from an auction number? Especially an auction that doesn't actually exist?

quote:
I'll not be respoding to your post anymore.

Yeah that's the ticket

------------------
Dave Hicks

[This message has been edited by dgh (edited 08-08-2001).]

POST #75 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Bryanmc is offline Old Post 08-09-2001 01:44 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Bryanmc Visit Bryanmc's homepage! Find more posts by Bryanmc Add Bryanmc to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bryanmc
Will work for money.

I'd still like to know how you fixed your green screen of death.

------------------
<FONT size="2"><FONT face="Comic Sans MS"><FONT COLOR="blue">"Always in motion is the future."</FONT c> -Yoda</FONT f></FONT s>

POST #76 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Mike Lang is offline Old Post 08-09-2001 01:45 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Mike Lang Find more posts by Mike Lang Add Mike Lang to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Mike Lang
Super Moderator

quote:
You can get anyones personal information who is a registered eBay user if you have their eBay id.

No, you can't. From Ebay...

"To better protect the privacy of eBay users, you can only request contact information for eBay users who are involved in your current or recent transactions.* Examples are:
ˇ Sellers can request contact information for all bidders in an active transaction and the winning bidder in a successful, closed transaction.
ˇ Bidders can request contact information for a seller during an active transaction and in a successful, closed transaction if they are the winning bidder."

------------------
Mike Lang
TiVo Moderator
<FONT COLOR="red">It's a PVR for God's sake...calm down!</FONT c>

[This message has been edited by Mike Lang (edited 08-08-2001).]

POST #77 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

brott is offline Old Post 08-09-2001 02:07 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for brott Find more posts by brott Add brott to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
brott

quote:
I just don't see any reason to go out of my way possibly taking on phone charges for tivo ...

rammy:

I believe your statement is abosolutely correct. Personally, I disagree with your philosophy and I do make the effort to "do the right thing." However, many people such as yourself take the easy way out because it just doesn't matter to you. The philosophy is: if it's available, take advantage of it. I'm sure many people do take advantage of it.

Now, TiVo has chosen to combat that line of thinking with a new policy. The new policy will essentially force new Tivo viewers to use a local access number rather than the toll-free access number. The policy itself is simplistic and easy to implement, so I'm sure this is why it was chose by TiVo. It will not affect you and you can continue to abuse the use of the toll-free number "for now." (I am assuming that you could use a local number in your aread.)

I think your practice is just wrong. However, you are not and currently will not be penalized for it. So, its your choice.

------------------
-brott
DTV in '94
T60 in '00

POST #78 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Flogduh is offline Old Post 08-09-2001 02:12 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Flogduh Find more posts by Flogduh Add Flogduh to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Flogduh

quote:
Guys, don't take me so personally, I don't have a problem with you people, my issues are with a corporaton called tivo, and it is not even a big deal, it's just about a personal video recorder and a management that has made some decisions that I believe are unethical. Most importantly, the decision to deny the stutter bug.

You say your issues are with Tivo, the corporation, then why are you here? This forum is not operated by Tivo the corporation, it's really for current and prospective Tivo (the service) users. While Tivo employees may peruse the boards from time to time, I doubt you'll get the results you might be looking for here in the Tivo forums.

I don't think anyone is taking it personally, let's just say very few, if any here, find your methods of getting your points across in the forum as either constructive or useful.

If you're really interested in pressing your issues of displeasure with Tivo the corporation, I suggest you focus your efforts directly WITH the corporation. If these issues are REALLY near and dear to your heart, go after Tivo the corporation with an undying exhuberance. Make it one of your primary objectives to get Tivo to change their ways. Just do it with class, a bit of maturity and professionalism, otherwise, you'll find the hill much harder to climb.

Now, don't take all this personally, it's really meant to suggest ways to co-exist peacefully here with the forum members.

------------------
----------------
"Hey, he can't do that to our pledges, only WE can do that to our pledges"

POST #79 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

DBCooper is offline Old Post 08-09-2001 02:30 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for DBCooper Find more posts by DBCooper Add DBCooper to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DBCooper
Advanced Member

quote:
Originally posted by scooterboy:
If I let Tivo use up my 30 calls/month, I'm paying 16 cents a minute for the rest (or $19/month more for the unlimited plan).

Incoming calls do not count as part of the 30 calls/month.

I think a lot of folks could save big bucks by switching to a limited-calling plan. I use my always-on Internet (not connected to the phone company) for virtually all communications. Incoming phone calls and 800-numbers are free. If I had a cell phone, I would never need to dial out from my home phone except in an emergency.

I pay about $12.00/month for one phone line with 30 local calls per month plus 8 cents per call (not per minute) after that. One TiVo puts me over the limit and I have several TiVos. Unlimited calling is closer to $35 per month, so I'm still ahead if I use the local numbers, but it would be very nice if some of the TiVos would call every third or fourth day. For now, when I think about it, I unplug some phone lines.

Unfortunately, I'm not into hacking beyond adding hard drives, so I can't use the PPP interface. Direct network attachment would be even more expense. So I just grit my teeth and pay the local surcharge.

But what about folks who travel with their TiVos? I did it for a while and it was a pain to redo setup every time I moved. It would be an unacceptable pain if I found myself paying LD after the setup was complete.

I appreciate the fact that TiVo has grandfathered me on the 800-number, but no thanks, I don't really need it. But it does raise some interesting resale possibilities. It could become like trading pollution quotas. "Hey, I'll buy you a new TiVo like yours and give you $400 if you give me your TiVo with lifetime and toll-free subscription."

POST #80 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged