TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
>>> Lexus Advertisement on tivo <<<

Pages (16): [1] 2 3 4 Next » ... Last »  
Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
jrpenn is offline Old Post 11-13-2001 03:26 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for jrpenn Find more posts by jrpenn Add jrpenn to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jrpenn

Post Lexus Advertisement on tivo

has anyone else gotten this new menu option
"Win the all-new lexus ES 300" its only showing up on one of my version 2.5 tivo's

i am not to sure i like this form of advertising.
here is a picture

[This message has been edited by jrpenn (edited 11-12-2001).]

POST #1 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

BrettStah is offline Old Post 11-13-2001 03:30 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for BrettStah Find more posts by BrettStah Add BrettStah to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
BrettStah
TiVo Forum Special Member

Where is it showing up?

------------------
Brett
<FONT size="1">
To me, clowns aren't funny. In fact, they're kind of scary. I've wondered where this started and I think it goes back to the time I went to the circus, and a clown killed my dad.
</FONT s>

POST #2 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

jrpenn is offline Old Post 11-13-2001 03:34 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for jrpenn Find more posts by jrpenn Add jrpenn to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jrpenn

quote:
Originally posted by BrettStah:
Where is it showing up?

its showing up in "Tivo Central"
just now i hit the tivo button to get to "tivo central" and it popped up similar to when i got the pop up message telling me it upgraded to version 2.5.

POST #3 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

JoeTiVo is offline Old Post 11-13-2001 03:37 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for JoeTiVo Visit JoeTiVo's homepage! Find more posts by JoeTiVo Add JoeTiVo to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JoeTiVo
HD or Tivo? Hmm...

There's more info here too:
http://www.lexus.com/tivo/

Interesting concept.

------------------
Joe
<FONT size="1"><FONT face="Comic Sans MS">Sony SAT T60 Direc<FONT COLOR="red">T</FONT c><FONT COLOR="green">I</FONT c><FONT COLOR="orange">V</FONT c><FONT COLOR="blue">O</FONT c>
Philips DSR6000 Direc<FONT COLOR="red">T</FONT c><FONT COLOR="green">I</FONT c><FONT COLOR="orange">V</FONT c><FONT COLOR="blue">O</FONT c></FONT f></FONT s>

POST #4 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Sir_whinealot is offline Old Post 11-13-2001 04:05 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Sir_whinealot Find more posts by Sir_whinealot Add Sir_whinealot to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Sir_whinealot
Seenyer Member

Cool

Uh-oh....here we go.

HE......COULD.....GO......ALL......THE.....WAY!!!!!

Fasten your seatbelts everyone. I hear footsteps...Xaa? Is that you? Xaa? What are you doing? Put that DOWN! PLEASE! That could hurt someone. Can't you hear me? What's the matter with you?!?! SOMEBODY STOP HIM!PLEASE!...NOOOOOOOoooooooooo!

POST #5 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

rhoatson is offline Old Post 11-13-2001 04:08 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for rhoatson Find more posts by rhoatson Add rhoatson to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
rhoatson

Ughh, what a disaster. Right on the 'Now Playing' menu.

I thought Tivo would be a lot more subtle.

IMHO, this is more intrusive and in-your-face than Replay's ads on pause screens.

POST #6 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

jrpenn is offline Old Post 11-13-2001 04:08 AM
jrpenn

quote:
Originally posted by Sir_whinealot:
Uh-oh....here we go.

HE......COULD.....GO......ALL......THE.....WAY!!!!!

Fasten your seatbelts everyone. I hear footsteps...Xaa? Is that you? Xaa? What are you doing? Put that DOWN! PLEASE! That could hurt someone. Can't you hear me? What's the matter with you?!?! SOMEBODY STOP HIM!PLEASE!...NOOOOOOOoooooooooo!

huh??

POST #7 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Ov1Ture is offline Old Post 11-13-2001 04:15 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Ov1Ture Find more posts by Ov1Ture Add Ov1Ture to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ov1Ture
Quasi-Evil

I have 2.5.1 on a Sony SVR2000 and under TiVo Central I don't have a Lexus Item (yet). And I better not get one. This area is for TIVO MENU ACCESS not advertisements. If they want to add a "Contests and Adverstising" menu, then put THAT under TiVo Central and put the Lexus ad/contest there.

------------------
---------------------------------
What is it about the Silver ones?

POST #8 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

rhoatson is offline Old Post 11-13-2001 04:16 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for rhoatson Find more posts by rhoatson Add rhoatson to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
rhoatson

quote:
Originally posted by jrpenn:
huh??

I think we are all expecting a 'steel cage' worthy reaction from Xaa.

POST #9 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

jrpenn is offline Old Post 11-13-2001 04:21 AM
jrpenn

quote:
Originally posted by rhoatson:
I think we are all expecting a 'steel cage' worthy reaction from Xaa.

who is Xaa??

POST #10 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

rODbegbie is offline Old Post 11-13-2001 04:28 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for rODbegbie Visit rODbegbie's homepage! Find more posts by rODbegbie Add rODbegbie to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
rODbegbie
Drunk on Gin

quote:
Originally posted by rhoatson:
IMHO, this is more intrusive and in-your-face than Replay's ads on pause screens.

I'm a little curious as to why you say this. As I understood it, the Replay ads covered up the screen when you paused a program. Why do you think that this is more intrusive?

rOD.

POST #11 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Leo Valiant is offline Old Post 11-13-2001 04:29 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Leo Valiant Find more posts by Leo Valiant Add Leo Valiant to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Leo Valiant

On my older two-drive 30 hour unit, I don't have that in TiVo Central.

However I do have a Lexus box in Showcases, which simply asks me to record a bunch of different shows and to look for the Lexus commercials.

I have Discovery and have had 2.5 for three Sundays now, but I haven't had one of those special ads recorded yet.

POST #12 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Dan203 is offline Old Post 11-13-2001 04:30 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Dan203 Visit Dan203's homepage! Find more posts by Dan203 Add Dan203 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dan203
Cyn-er

quote:
Originally posted by jrpenn:
who is Xaa??

Do a search for "PTCM" and you'll see who Xaa is.

Dan

------------------
Moderator: TiVo Coffee House, Help Center & Happy Hour
3 <FONT face="Arial">PHILIPS</FONT f> <FONT face="Comic Sans MS"><FONT COLOR="FF3300">T</FONT c><FONT COLOR="00CC99">i</FONT c><FONT COLOR="FF9900">V</FONT c><FONT COLOR="6666FF">o</FONT c></FONT f>s running 2.5.1

POST #13 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Ov1Ture is offline Old Post 11-13-2001 04:32 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Ov1Ture Find more posts by Ov1Ture Add Ov1Ture to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ov1Ture
Quasi-Evil

Angry

I forced a daily call about 10 minutes ago and TiVo downloaded this awful new addition to my TiVo Central Menu. TiVo successfully called this morning at 6:15AM EST and the Lexus Menu addition wasn't there until The forced daily call at 5:15PM EST today. THIS ADDITION IS NOT FROM THE TELEWORD RECORDING. The Lexus ads on TiVo most definitely are from the Teleword recording, but not this menu addition. I guess this is brand-spanking new.. GRRRR. I think I will avoid TiVo Central even more than I do now. Bad TiVo!

------------------
---------------------------------
What is it about the Silver ones?

POST #14 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

vertigo235 is offline Old Post 11-13-2001 04:32 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for vertigo235 Visit vertigo235's homepage! Find more posts by vertigo235 Add vertigo235 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
vertigo235
Advanced Member

Weird, I dont have the star thing... It's just in my Showcases thing. But I did get the Message thing.

What gives? As long as I dont have one of these things every day, I think I can live with it. Expeicaly if this keeps TiVo afloat.

------------------
- Jones
Running v2.5.1 on 30hr Philips... Upgraded to 128 hours with 80Gig Maxtor.

POST #15 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

unixadm is offline Old Post 11-13-2001 05:20 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for unixadm Visit unixadm's homepage! Find more posts by unixadm Add unixadm to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
unixadm

Thumbs up

I don't know why people are upset about this....
Don't you love your TiVo?
Don't you want to see TiVo Succeed?
Do you want to have a bunch of door stops if TiVo goes out of business?

TiVo has to make money...The only way to do this is for advertising....PVR's have threatened many of the advertisers since we can FF through commercials. This is a way for TiVo to make money, stay in business and thrive. This is a way for TiVo to keep good relations with networks and Advertisers. It's really a win/win situation. It is not intrusive. You don't have to click on it if you don't want to.

If PVR's become the standard in home entertainment as I expect them to in a few years, then there has to be a compromise. Commercial TV will change completely over the next few years. Advertisers are not going to stand by and pay big $$$ for time that gets FF through. They have to come up with ways to get the viewers to see their products. One way they are already doing it is product placement in TV shows. Placement doesn't bother me, but I've seen very blatent advertising on shows where the storyline revolves around the product.....example: The Friends episode with the new Lazy-Boy Chair....that is a real chair and most likely paid for by Lazy-Boy. They repeated the model name several times during the show. Another example was the Sports Night Episode where Dana gets tickets to "The Lion King" and didn't want to go. Once she goes she talks about how great it was for the rest of the episode...this was an ABC show which is owned by Disney which makes money from The Lion King. I don't like that at all because it comprises the integrety of a show.

I would rather have something like this...it gives us the opportunity to win something, the choice of whether we want to watch the ad, or the choice to totally ignore the ad. This is a GREAT opportunity for TiVo to show Networks and Advertisers that they are an Advertiser/Network friendly product that can revolutionize the way we watch TV and the way a company can get their ad across to the public.

------------------
TiVo has forever changed the way I view TV!

Check out my Tivo Upgrade page...Has photos and instructions of upgrade.
http://www.tivoupgrade.info

To understand LNB's & Multiswitches, read this post:
<A HREF="http://www.avsforum.com/ubbtivo/Forum5/HTML/003608.html" TARGET=_blank>
LNB & Multiswitch Explaination</A>

<A HREF="http://www.avsforum.com/ubbtivo/Forum5/HTML/005640.html" TARGET=_blank>
Which Multiswitch and where to Buy </A>

POST #16 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

vertigo235 is offline Old Post 11-13-2001 05:22 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for vertigo235 Visit vertigo235's homepage! Find more posts by vertigo235 Add vertigo235 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
vertigo235
Advanced Member

Well said, I agree.

------------------
- Jones
Running v2.5.1 on 30hr Philips... Upgraded to 128 hours with 80Gig Maxtor.

POST #17 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

rhoatson is offline Old Post 11-13-2001 05:25 AM
rhoatson

JUST received this in my personal email (my registered address with Tivo):

Enter the Lexus ES 300 "A New World of Luxury" TiVo sweepstakes and you could win the all-new Lexus ES 300.

In the first sweepstakes of its kind, Lexus is giving TiVo
subscribers the opportunity to win the all-new Lexus ES 300.

Redesigned for 2002, the ES 300 isn't just a car. It's a new world of luxury. So enter this exciting new sweepstakes. Watch the ads, find the clues and a brand-new Lexus could be in your driveway.

To begin playing, visit the Lexus Showcase from TiVo Central. There you'll find the list of programs where the Lexus ES 300 ads will be running. View them carefully, because once you've seen the ads, you'll have to answer just one of the following questions about the commercials.

Windmill question:
What is the last ES 300 interior feature we see moving?

Saddle question:
In the ES 300, what does the saddle maker explore with his hands?

Flamenco question:
According to the dancer, the ES 300 "knows something" of...?

Museum question:
What's one reason why the man likes to look at "things of beauty" like the ES 300?

In order to register for the sweepstakes, answer one of the questions online at www.lexus.com/tivo. Answer correctly, and you will be entered to win a luxurious Lexus ES 300.

For official sweepstakes rules, go to www.lexus.com/tivo/es_tivorules.html or on your TiVo go to "TiVo Central" -&gt; "New Messages and Setup" -&gt; "Read New TiVo Messages". Open to legal continental U.S. residents, 18 or older with a valid driver's license in state of residency. Sweepstakes ends December 14, 2001. Void where prohibited.

If you'd prefer not to receive promotional offers from TiVo Inc. and its partners, you can unsubscribe at: http://tivo1.m0.net/m/u/tvo/tiv/t.asp?e=my.email.here

POST #18 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

TiVolutionary is offline Old Post 11-13-2001 05:27 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for TiVolutionary Find more posts by TiVolutionary Add TiVolutionary to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
TiVolutionary
Unemployed Geek

Cool

Hey folks, the doctor is in. We can discuss this one all you like.

First, you won't get a lot of these. In fact, this is a one-of-a-kind trial. We (the TiVo Community on AVS) have often wondered what sort of advertising works and doesn't work in the PVR world. As it turns out, so has Lexus.

The writing is on the wall. We all know that PVRs will be ubiquitous some day soon, so we're trying to figure out what consumers want and don't want in advertising, and what people find fun and what they find intrusive.

A few details you may not have noticed about this promotion:

1) The TiVo Central item, if you have it, is at the bottom of the screen, where you don't have to pass it on your way to other things.

2) It's not just advertising, but a chance to win a cool prize -- a car.

3) Your odds -- well hell, when have you EVER had a 1-in-250,000 chance of winning a car?

4) Like I said, this is a one-off. We are all trying to judge reactions. By all means, tell us what you think!

Cheers,
-RB

POST #19 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 11-13-2001 05:30 AM
Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ftc

Angry

And I had just praised Tivo for not doing a PTCM on the last ad! I suggest everyone call Tivo and call Lexus to show their extreme displeasure and disappointment with Tivo's intrusive advertising efforts. If Tivo needs to be bought by AOL to survive then so be it, but they should not do this intrusive level of advertising. There must be an opt out option.

CAN YOU SAY CLASS ACTION LAWSUIT!
I think it may be time to consider a class action suit against Tivo, as no one signed up with Tivo to be advertised to. They thought they were getting an appliance that would make TV more enjoyable, not subject them to more ads. If the opt out option is not provided prior to the next intrusive advertisement, I believe we should consider going forward with legal action.

It's time to just say no to more intrusive advertisements.
Tivo your time is just about up before your users give you a rather intrusive advertisement of their own... a lawsuit, try to ignore that one!

POST #20 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged