TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
>>> Lexus Advertisement on tivo <<<

Pages (16): « Prev 1 [2] 3 4 5 Next » ... Last »  
Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
JohnJr is offline Old Post 11-13-2001 05:33 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for JohnJr Find more posts by JohnJr Add JohnJr to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JohnJr
Blown, cold, over.

RB,

While I haven't seen it yet... One thing that struck me right off when I saw this thread is that "RB usually warns us about this sort of thing".

If you wanted to get initial gut reaction, well I guess you did

I'll reserve other comments till after I have seen it.

-John

POST #21 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

rhoatson is offline Old Post 11-13-2001 05:33 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for rhoatson Find more posts by rhoatson Add rhoatson to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
rhoatson

quote:
Originally posted by TiVolutionary:
1) The TiVo Central item, if you have it, is at the bottom of the screen, where you don't have to pass it on your way to other things.

Still, it's in the way. And on the most used, most prominent Tivo screen.

quote:

2) It's not just advertising, but a chance to win a cool prize -- a car.

Advertising nonetheless, and I can't opt-out.

quote:

3) Your odds -- well hell, when have you EVER had a 1-in-250,000 chance of winning a car?

Odds don't matter to me when I don't have a choice.

quote:

4) Like I said, this is a one-off. We are all trying to judge reactions. By all means, tell us what you think!

I'd rather pay more monthly than see these things.

POST #22 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

macquariumguy is offline Old Post 11-13-2001 05:34 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for macquariumguy Visit macquariumguy's homepage! Find more posts by macquariumguy Add macquariumguy to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
macquariumguy
+ 400

I don't mind the on-screen thing but am now officially pissed at TiVo for sending me another freaking spam email (the same Lexus promotion).

I will be doing whatever it takes in the next day or two to get a real live person to remove me from that spam list!

POST #23 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Andrew_S is offline Old Post 11-13-2001 05:35 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Andrew_S Find more posts by Andrew_S Add Andrew_S to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Andrew_S

Where do we call to complain? Is there a magical pass phrase to get this to stop?

POST #24 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

willardcpa is offline Old Post 11-13-2001 05:38 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for willardcpa Find more posts by willardcpa Add willardcpa to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
willardcpa
QUASI-OMNISCIENT

Poor Richard, shows up and gets threatened with a "class-action". Although I can see the guys argument - Hey, hold it I just remembered, I was just driving down the freeway the other day and a bunch of billboards assaulted me with unrequested advertising - Hold the class action bomb run - I got another target!!!

POST #25 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

rogben is offline Old Post 11-13-2001 05:41 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for rogben Find more posts by rogben Add rogben to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
rogben

Egad, the horror! A line of on-screen text! How will I ever continue to use my TiVo with that there?!

[sarcasm mode="off"]

RB, I applaud restrained advertising like this, and will definitely participate in the contest... I care far more about TiVo than any car.

However, one bit of constructive criticism: I can see how the new menu entry could screw up some folks' esoteric remote macros... if they've got one set up for Tivo-ChDn-Enter, for example. You might want to come up with a way to work around that.

------------------
--
Roger

POST #26 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

andyf is offline Old Post 11-13-2001 05:41 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for andyf Visit andyf's homepage! Find more posts by andyf Add andyf to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
andyf
Long time TiVo user

Well, I'm looking at it now. Previously, I thought all the rants about PTCMs was unfounded, but now .... well, I'm on the fence. I don't mind about this showing up in Showcases, but on the main menu ... hmm! I'm gonna sleep on it.

Anyway, regardless of how I feel, I want TiVo around this time next year, so I'm going to support them and visit the web site and participate, not for the car, but because I'm sure the success of TiVo is going to be judged by the number of hits the site gets. If I win the car ... Oh Well!

Anyway .. how long is it going to be up there?

------------------
Andy

POST #27 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

rhoatson is offline Old Post 11-13-2001 05:44 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for rhoatson Find more posts by rhoatson Add rhoatson to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
rhoatson

quote:
Originally posted by rODbegbie:
I'm a little curious as to why you say this. As I understood it, the Replay ads covered up the screen when you paused a program. Why do you think that this is more intrusive?rOD.

Because the Replay ads could be avoided. My understanding of them was they displayed on a pause screen after 30 seconds or so. How often have you been staring at a paused screen for more than 30 continous seconds?

[This message has been edited by rhoatson (edited 11-12-2001).]

POST #28 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

rogben is offline Old Post 11-13-2001 05:45 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for rogben Find more posts by rogben Add rogben to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
rogben

quote:
Originally posted by rhoatson:
Because the Replay ads could be avoided. Ny understanding of them was they displayed on a pause screen after 30 seconds or so. How often have you been staring at a paused screen for more than 30 continous seconds?

By the same token, how often have you been staring at TiVo Central for more than five?

------------------
--
Roger

POST #29 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

rhoatson is offline Old Post 11-13-2001 05:46 AM
rhoatson

quote:
Originally posted by rogben:
By the same token, how often have you been staring at TiVo Central for more than five?

The point was, you can't avoid Tivo central.

POST #30 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Malerin is offline Old Post 11-13-2001 05:48 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Malerin Find more posts by Malerin Add Malerin to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Malerin

I don't mind the tivo as a vehicle for things like this as long as they keep the methods of delivery down to something subtle. What annoyed me about this promotion is that I got a PTCM and a Tivo Message and an item on Tivo central and an item in Showcases and an email at my personal account.

If it weren't quite so blatant, I don't think people would have minded as much. But that's me.

[This message has been edited by Malerin (edited 11-12-2001).]

POST #31 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

BrettStah is offline Old Post 11-13-2001 06:00 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for BrettStah Find more posts by BrettStah Add BrettStah to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
BrettStah
TiVo Forum Special Member

I don't have a problem at all here with this version of advertising...

For the people opposed to it, consider this:

1) It's not replacing any other menu item on the Tivo Central screen, or causing part of the screen to not be displayed (like the UTV ads do).

2) You don't have to select that menu item, ever.

3) Things like this can only help Tivo.

4) If you do choose to enter the contest, you'll have about a 1 in 250,000 chance of winning a new Lexus.

5) It's better than a pre-Tivo Central Menu popup message, in that you don't have to do anything extra in response to this. (The recent ReplayTV ads would appear after approximately 5 seconds, not 30, and require that you press another button on the remote (the EXIT button) to clear it for an additional 2 minutes).

6) Do you get upset when you see other advertising that you haven't seen before?

7) Note that there were already two other "ads" on Tivo Central... one for Tivo (the Tivo guy at the top), and one for Philips, Sony, or Hughes, depending on the manufacturer of your particular Tivo.

8) Where's the real harm, considering the above points?

------------------
Brett
<FONT size="1">
To me, clowns aren't funny. In fact, they're kind of scary. I've wondered where this started and I think it goes back to the time I went to the circus, and a clown killed my dad.
</FONT s>

[This message has been edited by BrettStah (edited 11-12-2001).]

POST #32 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Dan203 is offline Old Post 11-13-2001 06:04 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Dan203 Visit Dan203's homepage! Find more posts by Dan203 Add Dan203 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dan203
Cyn-er

Cool

quote:
Originally posted by rogben:
However, one bit of constructive criticism: I can see how the new menu entry could screw up some folks' esoteric remote macros... if they've got one set up for Tivo-ChDn-Enter, for example. You might want to come up with a way to work around that.

Most of the TiVo functions are available via the TiVo+# shortcuts so I don't think this will be much of an issue.

Dan

------------------
Moderator: TiVo Coffee House, Help Center & Happy Hour
3 <FONT face="Arial">PHILIPS</FONT f> <FONT face="Comic Sans MS"><FONT COLOR="FF3300">T</FONT c><FONT COLOR="00CC99">i</FONT c><FONT COLOR="FF9900">V</FONT c><FONT COLOR="6666FF">o</FONT c></FONT f>s running 2.5.1

POST #33 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

jkeegan is offline Old Post 11-13-2001 06:05 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for jkeegan Visit jkeegan's homepage! Find more posts by jkeegan Add jkeegan to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jkeegan
Advanced Member

Ahhhh.. I was imagining it was going to be an ad..

Once I saw the thumbs-up thumbs-down thumbs-up record (with backdoors on) code, I decided to go ahead and create a MenuItem object. After hacking around in MFS for a while I was able to create these two results (that alternated with every two TiVo button hits):
http://www.keegan.org/jeff/homemovi...01/DSC00042.JPG
http://www.keegan.org/jeff/homemovi...01/DSC00043.JPG

When I selected the second one, it went straight to an episode of BayWatch.

------------------
..Jeff Keegan

POST #34 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

TiVolutionary is offline Old Post 11-13-2001 06:14 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for TiVolutionary Find more posts by TiVolutionary Add TiVolutionary to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
TiVolutionary
Unemployed Geek

Cool

Sorry I didn't preempt this one with a warning. I know I usually do. The fact is that this is considered revolutionary in the advertising world, and Lexus offered an exclusive to a BIG publication. I was embargoed. And good for them. They took a very risky, expensive, and pioneering step with this promotion, and regardless of whether you like it or not, they deserve the press for trying something new.

-RB

POST #35 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

SnakeEyes is offline Old Post 11-13-2001 06:15 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for SnakeEyes Find more posts by SnakeEyes Add SnakeEyes to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
SnakeEyes

quote:
Originally posted by ftc:
And I had just praised Tivo for not doing a PTCM on the last ad! I suggest everyone call Tivo and call Lexus to show their extreme displeasure and disappointment with Tivo's intrusive advertising efforts. If Tivo needs to be bought by AOL to survive then so be it, but they should not do this intrusive level of advertising. There must be an opt out option.

CAN YOU SAY CLASS ACTION LAWSUIT!
I think it may be time to consider a class action suit against Tivo, as no one signed up with Tivo to be advertised to. They thought they were getting an appliance that would make TV more enjoyable, not subject them to more ads. If the opt out option is not provided prior to the next intrusive advertisement, I believe we should consider going forward with legal action.

It's time to just say no to more intrusive advertisements.
Tivo your time is just about up before your users give you a rather intrusive advertisement of their own... a lawsuit, try to ignore that one!

ROFL, First of all.. good idea, sue a company thats still trying to make it, with a product you love. Secondly, How is this ad intrustive? Explain please. It's a line of text at bottom of the screen that you DONT have to select, doesnt hinder any use of your TiVo, or viewing of any shows recorded on it. So whats the big deal?

------------------
"Don't burn the day away"

POST #36 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Mike Lang is offline Old Post 11-13-2001 06:21 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Mike Lang Find more posts by Mike Lang Add Mike Lang to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Mike Lang
Super Moderator

Cool

quote:
Originally posted by unixadm:
I don't know why people are upset about this....

They can't help themselves. The thought of seven words at the bottom of a screen used for two seconds at a time throws them into an tirade.

------------------
Mike Lang
TiVo/HTPC Moderator
<FONT COLOR="red">It's a PVR for God's sake...calm down!</FONT c>

POST #37 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Cabinwood is offline Old Post 11-13-2001 06:22 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Cabinwood Find more posts by Cabinwood Add Cabinwood to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Cabinwood
Cabin Dweller

I haven't seen it yet, but from what I've seen and read in this forum I'm sure it won't bother me at all. I might even be inclined to watch the Lexus commercial and try to win the car!

------------------
Jeanne

POST #38 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

DJRobX is offline Old Post 11-13-2001 06:24 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for DJRobX Find more posts by DJRobX Add DJRobX to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DJRobX
{E2D9AA00-11F2-4F...

I gotta say, I panicked when I got spam in my personal e-mail account. I gave TiVo my e-mail address under the assumption that they're a reputable company and wouldn't sell my address off or use it to spam me.

What is m0.net anyway? To me spam is extra "dirty" when the email address is strange. Please use a TiVo.com return address as if you must do this.

I'm just not thrilled. Call me a spoiled brat if you want, but I've dumped a ton of money on TiVo for me, my friends, and family. Advertising is like graffiti as far as I'm concerned. I can't even go bowling without looking at someone's ad on the pinsweeper these days. So it breaks my heart to see TiVo sticking ads (however you want to justify it) on my main menu and in my inbox.

Given the choice between losing TiVo and the ads, I'll take the ads, but that doesn't mean I'm going to be happy about it.

-- Rob

POST #39 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Ov1Ture is offline Old Post 11-13-2001 06:48 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Ov1Ture Find more posts by Ov1Ture Add Ov1Ture to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ov1Ture
Quasi-Evil

I'm all for TiVo making money. I just believe that TiVo Central is for menus, not promotions and not for advertising. RB, I assume this menu item will disappear at the end of the contest, Dec 14. Will we see more?

------------------
---------------------------------
What is it about the Silver ones?

POST #40 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged