TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
>>> Lexus Advertisement on tivo <<<

Pages (16): « Prev 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 Next » ... Last »  
Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
unixadm is offline Old Post 11-13-2001 06:57 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for unixadm Visit unixadm's homepage! Find more posts by unixadm Add unixadm to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
unixadm

Rembember...Ultimate TV gives you banner ads on the Guide Screen! This takes away from how much guide data you can see. TiVo is doing it in a much better way that is much less intrusive and much better for their long term plan.

Think about it...an advertiser pays a little, it shows up in Showcases, they pay alot, or it is a joint venture with TiVo, it shows up at the bottom of TiVo Central. It is much better than showing up on the Guide Screen limiting the data that can be displayed.

Microsoft forces people to watch banner ads on UTV even though they are a multiBillion dollar company.....If you want TiVo to survive and offer better products in the future, they have to make money....stop complaining and embrace the way they are doing it (and giving us an opportunity to win a car!)

------------------
TiVo has forever changed the way I view TV!

Check out my Tivo Upgrade page...Has photos and instructions of upgrade.
http://www.tivoupgrade.info

To understand LNB's & Multiswitches, read this post:
<A HREF="http://www.avsforum.com/ubbtivo/Forum5/HTML/003608.html" TARGET=_blank>
LNB & Multiswitch Explaination</A>

<A HREF="http://www.avsforum.com/ubbtivo/Forum5/HTML/005640.html" TARGET=_blank>
Which Multiswitch and where to Buy </A>

POST #41 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

adavidw is offline Old Post 11-13-2001 07:00 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for adavidw Find more posts by adavidw Add adavidw to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
adavidw

quote:
Originally posted by TiVolutionary:
The fact is that this is considered revolutionary in the advertising world, and Lexus offered an exclusive to a BIG publication.

Richard,

So what BIG publication can we read about this in?

-Aaron

POST #42 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

robb is offline Old Post 11-13-2001 07:06 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for robb Find more posts by robb Add robb to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
robb

I think this is great. It's an innovative way to use the medium and a fun way to do it.

I hope that TiVo and Lexus have lots of success with it.

I'll never understand the people who think that the $10 per month to TiVo creates some sort of ad-free zone. I hope they'll sue every magazine they subscribe to, every cable television channel they watch (even the premium channels advertise themselves), every movie theater with previews, every newspaper with coupons, every football stadium with ads on the scoreboard, every concert ticket with an ad on the back of the ticket, every T-shirt with a logo on it, and the hundred other places that subsidize lower costs with advertising.

------------------
Rob
60Hr Philips SA

POST #43 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

TiVolutionary is offline Old Post 11-13-2001 07:08 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for TiVolutionary Find more posts by TiVolutionary Add TiVolutionary to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
TiVolutionary
Unemployed Geek

Cool

m0.net is a service we use for direct emails. They are contracted directly by us, and may not use the email addresses for any other offer or venture. We just don't have the resources to do this in-house.

I think it was the Wall Street Journal that won the bid for exclusivity, in the end, but I don't know for sure. That was handled by Lexus' PR department.

The item will go away when the promotion is over.

-RB

POST #44 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

SD Kirk is offline Old Post 11-13-2001 07:08 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for SD Kirk Find more posts by SD Kirk Add SD Kirk to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
SD Kirk

Damn,

Who pissed in all of your Cheerios this morning?

I thought it was cool that Lexus (although I am a BMW kind of guy) teamed up with TIVO. I want TIVO to succeed and if it is promotions like this, so be it.

I get spam mail all freakin' day, so who cares about one more? Also, if you don't want to watch the ads then then don't highlight and hit select.

I think people are getting bent up over nothing. If you are worried about intrusion I suggest you look at Microsoft and how much they know about you (that is if you use their O/S).

[This message has been edited by SD Kirk (edited 11-12-2001).]

POST #45 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

TiVolutionary is offline Old Post 11-13-2001 07:09 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for TiVolutionary Find more posts by TiVolutionary Add TiVolutionary to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
TiVolutionary
Unemployed Geek

Cool

BTW, I think you can opt-out of all emails from TiVo, no? There was an opt-out click at the bottom of the email I got.

-RB

POST #46 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

net114 is offline Old Post 11-13-2001 07:11 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for net114 Visit net114's homepage! Find more posts by net114 Add net114 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
net114
Combat Rescue

Lightbulb

The only problem with this ad...is no opt out. Tivo needs to put a menu item in their setup screens that acts like the "opt out" button when you register new products online. You know, the box that says, "check this box if you want to receive information blah blah."

Other than that, it was fairly unobtrusive, and if they keep offering contests that are really cool, then I think just the fact that people have a CHOICE will make a difference. I would be glad to "help" keep Tivo in business as a loyal user, if they give me the CHOICE to do so!

POST #47 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Gregd33 is offline Old Post 11-13-2001 07:11 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Gregd33 Find more posts by Gregd33 Add Gregd33 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Gregd33
Gamer Extraordinaire

Again, as before with the PTCMs, I dont have a problem with this.

First of all, it is a simple click of the button to make the message go away. Secondly, the new YELLOW STAR at the bottom of the listing in TiVo Central is refreshing. Makes that screen look new and fresh.

In the big scheme of things, is having some ad on your TiVo and being given the chance to win a car really all that bad? It helps TiVo stay afloat. That is what we all want, is it not?

In the end of the day, its a frickin commercial for Lexus, with the addition of a possibility of winning a car. Relax!

I would MUCH rather see a BMW ad on there as I own and love their automobiles more than Lexus.

My 2 cents.

------------------
Gregd33.

HDR312 144hrs.
HDR212 64hrs.
Thanks To Dylan, TivoMad and all involved.

[This message has been edited by Gregd33 (edited 11-12-2001).]

POST #48 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Hoffer is offline Old Post 11-13-2001 07:12 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Hoffer Find more posts by Hoffer Add Hoffer to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Hoffer
Hey Now!!!

I spent a whole 30 seconds looking at it. Who cares! As long as I don't start getting 10 of them a day.

Personally, I could probably even handle getting 1 a day. My life isn't that busy that I can't spend 30 seconds on this. I'm sure they won't come once a day though. Maybe once a month or less often.

------------------
Sony 108 Hour DirecTiVo
Philips 92 Hour TiVo

POST #49 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

NutMonkey is offline Old Post 11-13-2001 07:14 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for NutMonkey Find more posts by NutMonkey Add NutMonkey to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
NutMonkey

Two problems with this:

1) Where's the opt-out that was promised back in August? This stuff is much more annoying to me because I feel that I'm being forced to look at it. If there was an opt-out policy, I wouldn't actually call and opt-out until it got to an annoying level, but one single ad that I can't opt out of is already an annoying level. I refuse to be forced to watch these ads, but if I had a choice I might choose to look at them... May not make much sense, but I'm stubborn that way.

2) I'm paying $10/month and it annoys me that I'm subsidizing software changes made to help out Lexus and other companies that want to advertise better. Meanwhile, where's the soft padding and other feature enhancements that could be made instead?

POST #50 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

mtchamp is offline Old Post 11-13-2001 07:15 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for mtchamp Find more posts by mtchamp Add mtchamp to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
mtchamp

Good for TiVo! It's all about big changes in the way everyone watches TV. TiVo is getting some deserved respect the way I see it. I'm not at all unhappy about this and don't find this approach intrusive. I understand TiVo definitely needs the extra cash this will generate.

I'm also flattered Lexus thinks so highly of us Tivonites that they would spend so much time and money on such a campaign.

Anyway you look at it, it's still better than TV the old way. I wouldn't want TiVo going out of business or higher subscription fees. I suppose if someone really wanted to pay a premium for their TiVo service, TiVo could make all the ads go away.

I just don't think you can eliminate advertising and expect to continue to get all the content available on TV unless you're willing to pay more for cable and satellite services.

The content providers are truly scared to death of TiVo but have only gone after Replay so far. While the adoption of PVR's with their very efficient commercial killing ability explodes, TiVo has done a very good balancing act so far. They just want to stay in business and I want them to stay in business as well.

POST #51 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 11-13-2001 07:16 AM
Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JoeG

quote:
Originally posted by unixadm:
TiVo has to make money...The only way to do this is for advertising....

Well, they did make money: $200 worth when I signed up for lifetime service.
Unlike ReplayTV, this is not a free service. This is a paid service. I paid them to provide me with a service (daily download of the program guide).
I did not pay them to place ads on my device in my home.

Free services (broadcast television, radio, web sites, ReplayTV) use advertising to make money. Tivo is a paid service. (The fact that I paid upfront rather than $10 a month is beside the point). I shouldn't even have to look at it. Charge $15 a month if Tivo needs more revenue.

quote:
We are all trying to judge reactions. By all means, tell us what you think!

Anyone else who is angry about this, make sure you write them a webmail to let your feelings known now, before this train starts a'rolling.

Put the ads in Showcases where they belong.

POST #52 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

interactiveTV is offline Old Post 11-13-2001 07:21 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for interactiveTV Find more posts by interactiveTV Add interactiveTV to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
interactiveTV

quote:
They took a very risky, expensive, and pioneering step with this promotion, and regardless of whether you like it or not, they deserve the press for trying something new.

-RB

Maybe I'm cynical but something tells me if Replay or UTV had done the same thing, not only would this forum skewer them silly, but Tivo would pound chest, claim the moral high ground, and say, "see, we don't do such crass things."

Yes, Tivo needs other revenue steams, but remember Prodigy. AOL, while a devil to the marketing world now, smartly held off with the cluster bombs until AFTER critical mass. Prodigy, poor Prodigy, went whole-hog advertising central and...

well, you know. Interesting concept. It just *looks* like you had to sell your soul for it. Sorry, but forging new ground -- and claiming so -- is one thing. Desperation is another. Let's not confuse the two.

_ITV

POST #53 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Dan203 is offline Old Post 11-13-2001 07:23 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Dan203 Visit Dan203's homepage! Find more posts by Dan203 Add Dan203 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dan203
Cyn-er

Cool

quote:
Originally posted by JoeG:
Well, they did make money: $200 worth when I signed up for lifetime service.

Here is a paragraph from the TiVo Service Agreement you should have read before paying your $200...

"TiVo may, at its discretion, from time to time change, add or remove features of the TiVo Service or change the terms and conditions of this agreement. Such changes shall be effective upon notification by TiVo. You are responsible for viewing any new terms and if you are dissatisfied with any such changes to the TiVo Service or this agreement, you may immediately cancel your subscription"

Dan

------------------
Moderator: TiVo Coffee House, Help Center & Happy Hour
3 <FONT face="Arial">PHILIPS</FONT f> <FONT face="Comic Sans MS"><FONT COLOR="FF3300">T</FONT c><FONT COLOR="00CC99">i</FONT c><FONT COLOR="FF9900">V</FONT c><FONT COLOR="6666FF">o</FONT c></FONT f>s running 2.5.1

POST #54 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

JoeTiVo is offline Old Post 11-13-2001 07:23 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for JoeTiVo Visit JoeTiVo's homepage! Find more posts by JoeTiVo Add JoeTiVo to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JoeTiVo
HD or Tivo? Hmm...

Gawd, I can't believe how some folks get so worked up about this kind of thing. It totaly amazes me. I think it's a great 'gimmick' that in time should evolve into something likely to be useful to [at least] some Tivo customers while hopefully allowing our favorite PVR company to prosper. Kudos to Tivo and Lexus.

My only problem is that I didn't get it. Send it on... I'm going to win that Lexus, damn it.

------------------
Joe
<FONT size="1"><FONT face="Comic Sans MS">Sony SAT T60 Direc<FONT COLOR="red">T</FONT c><FONT COLOR="green">I</FONT c><FONT COLOR="orange">V</FONT c><FONT COLOR="blue">O</FONT c>
Philips DSR6000 Direc<FONT COLOR="red">T</FONT c><FONT COLOR="green">I</FONT c><FONT COLOR="orange">V</FONT c><FONT COLOR="blue">O</FONT c></FONT f></FONT s>

POST #55 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

unixadm is offline Old Post 11-13-2001 07:25 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for unixadm Visit unixadm's homepage! Find more posts by unixadm Add unixadm to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
unixadm

Why is it that people think that $10/month or $250 lifetime guarantees that they will never see an ad?

Go purchase ANY commercial software package from the store...Why such a big box for a CD? Look at all the advertisements that are included with the manual and software. Look at when you go to install some of the software you purchase...they end up asking if you want to install a trial version of another piece of software, a trial subscription to AOL etc. Some software is even sneakier and automatically loads some trial version of something in or puts links to webpages on your desktop. Some of this software is upwards of $500 or more and you still get the ads.

Why do you not complain about that but you complain that TiVo is trying to have a business plan that will keep them growing. It is not forcing you to watch it. It is an extra line on the TiVo Central that you can choose to ignore. Lets be happy for TiVo...they are getting partnerships with some large companies and that will only mean good things for us in the future.

------------------
TiVo has forever changed the way I view TV!

Check out my Tivo Upgrade page...Has photos and instructions of upgrade.
http://www.tivoupgrade.info

To understand LNB's & Multiswitches, read this post:
<A HREF="http://www.avsforum.com/ubbtivo/Forum5/HTML/003608.html" TARGET=_blank>
LNB & Multiswitch Explaination</A>

<A HREF="http://www.avsforum.com/ubbtivo/Forum5/HTML/005640.html" TARGET=_blank>
Which Multiswitch and where to Buy </A>

POST #56 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

NutMonkey is offline Old Post 11-13-2001 07:26 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for NutMonkey Find more posts by NutMonkey Add NutMonkey to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
NutMonkey

A lot of positive reactions seem to be based on the idea that we should put up with this because TiVo needs the money. So for those that are ok with this, would it still be ok if TiVo had a ton of money? Does the state of the company have anything to do with how annoying an ad is?

POST #57 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

debtoine is offline Old Post 11-13-2001 07:27 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for debtoine Visit debtoine's homepage! Find more posts by debtoine Add debtoine to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
debtoine
TiVo Forum Special Member

IMHO.

1. The Pre-TiVo message was a bit obnoxious, but bearable.
  2. The extra line on the menu is no big issue to me. After all, you don't have to go to that submenu.
  3. What I do have an issue with is that the extra menu is not displayed on everyone's TiVo. To me, this could mean that our preferences (what shows we watch, what information we gave when we subscribed) determined whether or not we were the right target audience for Lexus. Now that is scary!

Again, just my humble opinion!

POST #58 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 11-13-2001 07:29 AM
Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
marksman

Dang some of you are so anal.

Must be a real pleasure to be around in person.

POST #59 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Dan203 is offline Old Post 11-13-2001 07:32 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Dan203 Visit Dan203's homepage! Find more posts by Dan203 Add Dan203 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dan203
Cyn-er

Cool

quote:
Originally posted by debtoine:
What I do have an issue with is that the extra menu is not displayed on everyone's TiVo. To me, this could mean that our preferences (what shows we watch, what information we gave when we subscribed) determined whether or not we were the right target audience for Lexus.

TiVo does NOT have access to your personal viewing habits! Look it up it's right there in the privacy policy. The reason some people don't have it is probably because....

1) There last daily call was before TiVo added this to the data

2) They don't have 2.5.1 yet

3) It's possible that this could be linked to the video files, so if they do not get Discovery on Sunday mornings when the Paid Programming airs, or if they have a unit which can not hold the video (i.e. 14 hour, or dual drive 30) then they may not see it.

Dan

------------------
Moderator: TiVo Coffee House, Help Center & Happy Hour
3 <FONT face="Arial">PHILIPS</FONT f> <FONT face="Comic Sans MS"><FONT COLOR="FF3300">T</FONT c><FONT COLOR="00CC99">i</FONT c><FONT COLOR="FF9900">V</FONT c><FONT COLOR="6666FF">o</FONT c></FONT f>s running 2.5.1

POST #60 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged