TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
>>> Lexus advertisement on TiVo (cont.) <<<

Pages (16): [1] 2 3 4 Next » ... Last »  
Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Mike Lang is offline Old Post 11-14-2001 04:32 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Mike Lang Find more posts by Mike Lang Add Mike Lang to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Mike Lang
Super Moderator

Post Lexus advertisement on TiVo (cont.)

Continued from... http://www.avsforum.com/ubbtivo/Forum1/HTML/009517.html

------------------
Mike Lang
TiVo/HTPC Moderator
<FONT COLOR="red">It's a PVR for God's sake...calm down!</FONT c>

POST #1 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

where1 is offline Old Post 11-14-2001 04:40 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for where1 Find more posts by where1 Add where1 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
where1
TiVo Forum Special Member

Can't wait to get home and see what all the fuss is about. I didn't get e-mail as of 15 minutes ago yet. I feel so left out.

------------------
Lest we forget 9/11/01
My System
Paul

POST #2 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

unixadm is offline Old Post 11-14-2001 04:41 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for unixadm Visit unixadm's homepage! Find more posts by unixadm Add unixadm to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
unixadm

Kellogs,

I am not telling you how you should feel....you made a comparison of TiVo to a VCR and said that TiVo is just a fancy VCR. I said that if you felt that way, then you must be missing a lot of what TiVo can do.

You are comparing Apples to Oranges (or like my last post, a CD-Player to an 8-Track Player).

I do take my TiVo seriously....I have 7 DirectTiVos in all, some of them with extra hard drive space. I want to see TiVo succeed since I have thousands of dollars invested in them. I believe they are taking the right direction in the Lexus Giveaway they are doing. That is my opinion.

Either way, the facts are that TiVo has to start generating money, or TiVo will not be able to function as a company and the service will either go away or be purchased and changed. TiVo's recent licensing to Sony and this more recent teaming up with Lexus will generate money. These are the facts. Like it or not, we depend on our TiVo's and TiVo has to depend on sponsers and partnerships to continue. If you want to continue to enjoy your TiVo then you should be happy about this deal and happy that we have a chance to win a car. Constructive criticism is always good (like dropping the PTCMs), but without sponsorship, TiVo could go under and we will all have very expensive paper-weights.

------------------
TiVo has forever changed the way I view TV!

Check out my Tivo Upgrade page...Has photos and instructions of upgrade.
http://www.tivoupgrade.info

To understand LNB's & Multiswitches, read this post:
<A HREF="http://www.avsforum.com/ubbtivo/Forum5/HTML/003608.html" TARGET=_blank>
LNB & Multiswitch Explaination</A>

<A HREF="http://www.avsforum.com/ubbtivo/Forum5/HTML/005640.html" TARGET=_blank>
Which Multiswitch and where to Buy </A>

POST #3 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

feldon23 is offline Old Post 11-14-2001 04:41 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for feldon23 Visit feldon23's homepage! Find more posts by feldon23 Add feldon23 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
feldon23
MythBuster

To all the idiots saying "Advertising is just a normal part of life", you need to rent the movie Brazil and watch it twice.

WE ARE HEADED THERE!

AND GET THAT GOLD STAR OFF MY MENU!

POST #4 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

kazymyr is offline Old Post 11-14-2001 04:42 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for kazymyr Visit kazymyr's homepage! Find more posts by kazymyr Add kazymyr to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
kazymyr
TiVo Forum Special Member

Oh wow... just when I thought we could make the previous thread the first one in which every member on AVSForum posted at least once or twice... you go ahead and take the candy away. Bad moderator!

------------------
This mind intentionally left blank--

POST #5 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

loggia is offline Old Post 11-14-2001 04:44 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for loggia Find more posts by loggia Add loggia to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
loggia

[This message has been edited by loggia (edited 11-13-2001).]

POST #6 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

willardcpa is offline Old Post 11-14-2001 04:48 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for willardcpa Find more posts by willardcpa Add willardcpa to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
willardcpa
QUASI-OMNISCIENT

Hey, Kevin - have you seen your wife and kids in the last 18 hours???? You're going to get carpal tunnel syndrome it you keep this up

POST #7 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

unixadm is offline Old Post 11-14-2001 04:49 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for unixadm Visit unixadm's homepage! Find more posts by unixadm Add unixadm to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
unixadm

With all of the horror and terror happening in this world, it is just amazing to me that everyone is so worked up about being given a chance to win a car!

If you are so worried about "we are heading there" in regards to advertising, why not look at the real world and see where we are heading....Army reserves in airports with M-16's....random searches, (which I was subjected to last week at the airport), less privacy in e-mail, less privacy on phone calls, etc. You are so worried about a few ads showing up on your TiVo (which will keep TiVo in business and keep your TiVo running!), I think you forgot to look at the real issues in this world.

This is a PVR guys.....TV, not reality.....I really can't believe that this would upset so many people, yet no-one is writing 9 page threads about our rights being violated in the name of "National Security". But throw a PTCM up on your TiVo and you are about to blow a gasket!

------------------

<A HREF="http://www.avsforum.com/ubbtivo/Forum5/HTML/003608.html" TARGET=_blank>

<A HREF="http://www.avsforum.com/ubbtivo/Forum5/HTML/005640.html" TARGET=_blank>

POST #8 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

unixadm is offline Old Post 11-14-2001 04:50 AM
unixadm

quote:
Originally posted by willardcpa:
Hey, Kevin - have you seen your wife and kids in the last 18 hours???? You're going to get carpal tunnel syndrome it you keep this up

I think I remember what they look like???

Actually, I was stuck at work for a little while until a server finished restoring. Had some time on my hands!

------------------

POST #9 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

woyton is offline Old Post 11-14-2001 04:53 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for woyton Find more posts by woyton Add woyton to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
woyton

My two cents:

I'd like PTCMs to be important. Sending this contest as anything other than a regular message is overkill. I promise I'll read the messages -- just don't force the unimportant ones on me.

I'd like the star to go away once I've acknowledged the menu item.

And finally, maybe I've missed things along the way, but the only "previews" I've noticed have been for NFL (sorry, not interested) and for a car commercial (sorry, not interested). Would have been nice to get something out of the previews before they were turned over to an automobile company.

That said, I'd like TiVo to be successful and stay around.

POST #10 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

MighTiVo is offline Old Post 11-14-2001 04:55 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for MighTiVo Find more posts by MighTiVo Add MighTiVo to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MighTiVo
TiVotarian

quote:
Originally posted by loggia:
http://www.angelfire.com/art/loggiasrun/ugh.jpg

That doesn't work, Angelfire doesn't allow refrence URLs to point directly to content, you need a webpage with the image.

POST #11 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

willardcpa is offline Old Post 11-14-2001 04:56 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for willardcpa Find more posts by willardcpa Add willardcpa to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
willardcpa
QUASI-OMNISCIENT

The thing that will really tick us off is when one of the loudest whiners ends up being the winner

POST #12 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

HTH is offline Old Post 11-14-2001 04:59 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for HTH Visit HTH's homepage! Find more posts by HTH Add HTH to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
HTH
No Avatar Selected

quote:
Originally posted by MighTiVo:
That doesn't work, Angelfire doesn't allow refrence URLs to point directly to content, you need a webpage with the image.

I got it to work.

(And I thought we might just manage to get to 10 pages.)

------------------

"[E]ven the unauthorized home time-shifting of... programs is legitimate fair use."
-- Sony Corp. v. Universal City Studios, Inc., 464 U.S. 417 (1984)

POST #13 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Sir_whinealot is offline Old Post 11-14-2001 05:00 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Sir_whinealot Find more posts by Sir_whinealot Add Sir_whinealot to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Sir_whinealot
Seenyer Member

quote:
Originally posted by unixadm:
With all of the horror and terror happening in this world, it is just amazing to me that everyone is so worked up about being given a chance to win a car!

If you are so worried about "we are heading there" in regards to advertising, why not look at the real world and see where we are heading....Army reserves in airports with M-16's....random searches, (which I was subjected to last week at the airport), less privacy in e-mail, less privacy on phone calls, etc. You are so worried about a few ads showing up on your TiVo (which will keep TiVo in business and keep your TiVo running!), I think you forgot to look at the real issues in this world.

This is a PVR guys.....TV, not reality.....I really can't believe that this would upset so many people, yet no-one is writing 9 page threads about our rights being violated in the name of "National Security". But throw a PTCM up on your TiVo and you are about to blow a gasket!

Good post!

ITV said something that struck a nerve too...RB "asked" for our opinions, so everybody is offering 'em up. There's just *no* reason for people to get obnoxious about it though...you either like it, or you don't. You have your reasons....but the threats and chest thumping is a little too much IMO.

POST #14 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Stuigi is offline Old Post 11-14-2001 05:04 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Stuigi Visit Stuigi's homepage! Find more posts by Stuigi Add Stuigi to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Stuigi

Just out of curiousity. If I am correct the tivo agreement stated that our user information would never be sold. If we were to enter this contest, does lexus now have the right to sell our user information. If so, then I have a problem with this. Tivo is leading us to give up our rights to privacy.

------------------
There is enough sadness in the world. Make someone smile today!

POST #15 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

WTF is offline Old Post 11-14-2001 05:11 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for WTF Find more posts by WTF Add WTF to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
WTF

If you want to put advertisement on TiVo then offer some type of reduction in subscription. I paid for the life time subscription and this was not part of the aggreement, at least the way I interpreted it. One ad ends up being two then three. This will be just like the spam I get in my emails everyday. No matter what, this idea must have been made out of desperation to improve revenue. If you want more revenue from me then come up with software updates and charge. Or improve the hardware and I will buy a new unit with subscription. I really like my TiVo but don't push me.

POST #16 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 11-14-2001 05:12 AM
Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
TheE

Keep in mind that the "contest" is at Lexus.com and not TiVo. The rules say nothing about how they will sell or not sell your information! I bet it will be sold so fast and once things are verified you will hear from a Lexus dealer in some way (or a lower cost car dealer if your income level is not high enough - as it is easy to find out). If not how will they make money off of it?

quote:
Originally posted by Stuigi:
Just out of curiousity. If I am correct the tivo agreement stated that our user information would never be sold. If we were to enter this contest, does lexus now have the right to sell our user information. If so, then I have a problem with this. Tivo is leading us to give up our rights to privacy.

[This message has been edited by TheE (edited 11-13-2001).]

POST #17 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Blackwolf is offline Old Post 11-14-2001 05:14 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Blackwolf Find more posts by Blackwolf Add Blackwolf to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Blackwolf
Dangeresque!

Replying from other thread...

quote:
If he wanted to cancel service and then sell his equipment, I am sure there are hundreds of people here (including me) that would love to pick up another TiVo! He could make some of his money back.....but I can almost guarantee that after a week of viewing live TV, he will be back to TiVo.....it's addicting . I know there is no way back for our family....we will never watch LiveTV again.

I think his point of destroying it is...Sure, he's out a few hundred bucks. But the TiVo can't be used to have someone else get the service. Hence the wording of "taking it out of circulation". If he sold it, someone would have gotten the service and TiVo would be receiving money from the box, which is not what he wants. (He does think that TiVo should go out of business after doing this.) That's just the way he thinks. And yes, I don't hang out with him much.

Me, Personally, as I said before...The email was too much. The PTCM I can live with this time because I know it's coming, but I don't think ads should be in the PTCM. I don't mind the TiVo Central icon at all, I think it makes a welcome difference to that screen, since I don't use macros.

So count my vote as a one vote hated it, second vote didn't mind it, just tone it down.

POST #18 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 11-14-2001 05:17 AM
TheE

Because we are moving along with our lives and trying to get back to some type of a "normal" life. And trying to divert ourselves from watching CNN 24/7!

BTW, email has never been private unless you make it. Also phone calls are easy to tap - hell, the X-box is in my backyard. They should have started really searching people a long time ago in airports!

quote:
Originally posted by unixadm:

POST #19 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 11-14-2001 05:20 AM
TheE

I do have to wonder how sales are anyway. A friend of mine is a buyer for a national elec. store and said that they have only sold a "handful" this year. And he did not order any for the holiday season as they will push items which sell. (his words) This worries me!!

quote:
Originally posted by Blackwolf:
Replying from other thread...

I think his point of destroying it is...Sure, he's out a few hundred bucks. But the TiVo can't be used to have someone else get the service. Hence the wording of "taking it out of circulation". If he sold it, someone would have gotten the service and TiVo would be receiving money from the box, which is not what he wants. (He does think that TiVo should go out of business after doing this.) That's just the way he thinks. And yes, I don't hang out with him much.

Me, Personally, as I said before...The email was too much. The PTCM I can live with this time because I know it's coming, but I don't think ads should be in the PTCM. I don't mind the TiVo Central icon at all, I think it makes a welcome difference to that screen, since I don't use macros.

So count my vote as a one vote hated it, second vote didn't mind it, just tone it down.

POST #20 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged