TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
>>> Lexus advertisement on TiVo (cont.) <<<

Pages (16): « Prev 1 [2] 3 4 5 Next » ... Last »  
Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
pv is offline Old Post 11-14-2001 05:30 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for pv Find more posts by pv Add pv to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
pv
Klein Bottle Washer

How I'm scoring this (on a +10 to -10 scale):

• Basic technology: 10 points. It worked perfectly.
  • Presentation: 9 points. The ads looked cool, but the key frame on showcases just says "video start". obviously not a good choice.
  • Email marketing: -10 points. Hey, It's 2001, nobody tolerates spam. Don't do this, ever again.
  • PTCM: -5 points. I don't really care about PTCMs for the most part, but it weakens tivo's case that they only use a permission based ad model. Stop it.
  • Sponsorship: 8 points. How high profile can you get? a $30,000 car giveaway, which probably will only get a few thousand entries? Neat.

So, I give the effort a +12. The negatives are easy to take care of. I would like to see an official discussion of the bad stuff. Richard? PV

POST #21 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 11-14-2001 05:38 AM
Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Daevid

Is there any way to delete this incredibly annoying Lexus spam? Nothing seems to make it vanish. So not only will NOT I enter this stupid contest, I will not even consider buying a Lexus. I'll also be more than happy to tell my friends and family how irritated I am with Lexus (and TiVo for that matter). I pay my $10.00/month for a TV guide service, if TiVo want's to spam me with advertisements/commercials that I bought the TiVo to purposefully skip, then they should be paying ME. I'm so livid right now, I'm on the verge of just cancelling my subscription.

[This message has been edited by Daevid (edited 11-13-2001).]

POST #22 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

alexcue is offline Old Post 11-14-2001 05:51 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for alexcue Find more posts by alexcue Add alexcue to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
alexcue

quote:
Originally posted by Daevid:
I pay my $10.00/month for a TV guide service, if TiVo want's to spam me with advertisements/commercials that I bought the TiVo to purposefully skip, then they should be paying ME. I'm so livid right now, I'm on the verge of just cancelling my subscription.

Jeez, did you ever read TV Guide? talk about advertising!!!
Cancel your subscription, speak with your wallet. But if this is what makes you "livid" i feel for you.
I have plenty more things to be livid about. Like the Red Cross taking my donation for the firefighters/policeman of NYC and giving it to someone else, or buying themselves a new fax machine, now that pisses me off.
Get some perspective.

------------------
Most toys wins!!!
30hr Philips SA Tivo
14hr Philips SA Tivo
35 hr Philips DTivo
96 hr Philips DTivo
126hr Philips DTivo

POST #23 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

genearch is offline Old Post 11-14-2001 05:51 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for genearch Find more posts by genearch Add genearch to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
genearch
TiVo Forum Special Member

quote:
Is there any way to delete this incredibly annoying Lexus spam? Nothing seems to make it vanish. So not only will NOT I enter this stupid contest, I will not even consider buying a Lexus. I'll also be more than happy to tell my friends and family how irritated I am with Lexus (and TiVo for that matter). I pay my $10.00/month for a TV guide service, if TiVo want's to spam me with advertisements/commercials that I bought the TiVo to purposefully skip, then they should be paying ME. I'm so livid right now, I'm on the verge of just cancelling my subscription.

Let me see how this is "Spam from Lexus".

I can't say who approached whom in this sdvertising scheme, but I can say that Lexus isn't the one who pushed the ad to your TiVo. If there is any "fault" to be found, it resides squarely on the shoulders of TiVo and how they implemented this advertisment.

Personally, it's a non issue, but it's fun to read everyone rationalize how it's changed their lives since a little star appears on the screen.

POST #24 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

WTF is offline Old Post 11-14-2001 06:04 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for WTF Find more posts by WTF Add WTF to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
WTF

genearch, It's the principle not the star on the screen. If you don't stand up for your rights then you deserve to get walked over. I personally want to make such a stink over this that TiVo will never try this again. It's worth a couple of posts on this forum to prevent years of spam.

Oh if you want to send me your email and home address I would be happy to sign you up for a little junk mail & spam. hehe, It might not have any stars on it but it will have some cute little text

POST #25 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Pan Chun is offline Old Post 11-14-2001 06:12 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Pan Chun Find more posts by Pan Chun Add Pan Chun to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Pan Chun
Gone now

Thumbs up

I just think it's so wonderful that so many people here have so FEW problems in their lives that THIS little, teeny, tiny, inconsequential annoyance is the A-Number-One Top plague of their existance.

You livid people are SO LUCKY to have no REAL problems!

POST #26 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

jimstark is offline Old Post 11-14-2001 06:17 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for jimstark Visit jimstark's homepage! Find more posts by jimstark Add jimstark to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jimstark
webguru

unixadm, you brought an element of attack-style opinion that has no relevance to this discussion at all. I question your motive, because all I can see in your post is an effort to shut down the discussion by shaming people who type a lot, but aren't typing about something you approve of. That's not cool.

For your information, I come here for discussion about TiVo, and if that fact has escaped your notice, maybe this post will remind you. We, as a group, dissect the minutae of all things TiVo here at AVS, and personally, my worth as a thinking, feeling human being is NOT based on the volume, or lack thereof, that I decide to post on this subject.

I speak for no one but myself on this, so please don't lump anyone else in should you choose to reply. I simply felt the need to point out your post crossed a line in my opinion.

Maybe you should chill on the subject for awhile.

Pan Chun, you were just being an a55. Offering an opinion on the subject of PTCM/Sticky menu ads has absolutely no bearing on what problems anyone may or may not have.

------------------
-stark-
<FONT size="1"><FONT COLOR="red">T</FONT c><FONT COLOR="green">i</FONT c><FONT COLOR="orange">V</FONT c><FONT COLOR="blue">o</FONT c> 1: Sony SVR-2000 - 32 hrs.
<FONT COLOR="red">T</FONT c><FONT COLOR="green">i</FONT c><FONT COLOR="orange">V</FONT c><FONT COLOR="blue">o</FONT c> 2: Philips Direc<FONT COLOR="red">T</FONT c><FONT COLOR="green">i</FONT c><FONT COLOR="orange">V</FONT c><FONT COLOR="blue">o</FONT c> - 35 hrs.
<FONT COLOR="red">T</FONT c><FONT COLOR="green">i</FONT c><FONT COLOR="orange">V</FONT c><FONT COLOR="blue">o</FONT c>3: Philips HDR31202 - 122 hrs.</FONT s>

[This message has been edited by jimstark (edited 11-13-2001).]

[This message has been edited by jimstark (edited 11-13-2001).]

POST #27 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

dgh is offline Old Post 11-14-2001 06:19 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for dgh Find more posts by dgh Add dgh to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dgh
TiVo Forum Special Member

quote:
Originally posted by WTF:
Oh if you want to send me your email and home address I would be happy to sign you up for a little junk mail & spam. hehe, It might not have any stars on it but it will have some cute little text

I might be interested in your service but I'd like to know what you'll provide in return.

My girlfriend has an ad-based cell phone plan. They call her once or twice a day and play an ad at her. I thought that one was pretty strange but then I don't have a cell phone because I won't pay the $20/month that they cost here.

------------------
Dave Hicks
(Just 33 years until I'm allowed to be opinionated too.)

POST #28 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

SnakeEyes is offline Old Post 11-14-2001 06:25 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for SnakeEyes Find more posts by SnakeEyes Add SnakeEyes to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
SnakeEyes

I just had a thought. I'll bet many of you would not be complaining about this Lexus ad contest if instead of Lexus the link was to a new Lord of the Rings or Star Wars Episode II trailer or something like that with a contest to win a signed one sheet or something movie related.

Car ads=spam
Cool movie trailers=not spam

------------------
"Don't burn the day away"

POST #29 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

mtchamp is offline Old Post 11-14-2001 06:25 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for mtchamp Find more posts by mtchamp Add mtchamp to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
mtchamp

It's just a lover's quarrel and we'll get over it. We love our TiVos and TiVo loves us back, so we thought until TiVo made a new friend called advertising. A lot of us feel betrayed and threatened. Some of us don't like TiVo's new friend but I understand TiVo needs to have friends to stay happy and healthy. I've met TiVo's new friend and find it acceptable. So long as it behaves itself, it's ok with me. Now I'm wasting time cause I've got a date with TiVo, see ya later.

[This message has been edited by mtchamp (edited 11-13-2001).]

POST #30 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

BigBoris is offline Old Post 11-14-2001 06:26 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for BigBoris Find more posts by BigBoris Add BigBoris to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
BigBoris

I don't have a huge problem with Tivo doing advertising. They need to make some money and that's ok.
I took a quick look at the ad and it looked good. However, now that I've seen it and don't care it should go away.

I have a problem with the in-your-face forever (end of contest) aspect of it. If it were something that I could dismiss and remove if I weren't interested (I'm not) then I think the response (mine and that of everyone else) would be a lot less angry.

This is especially true since it screws up my remote control macro for switching my SA Tivo into standby mode (Tivo-Left-ChDn-Select-ChDn-Select).

Finally, having the ad on the main page makes the demo I tend to have to do for my non-Tivo'ed friends a little bit worse.

POST #31 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

rODbegbie is offline Old Post 11-14-2001 06:26 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for rODbegbie Visit rODbegbie's homepage! Find more posts by rODbegbie Add rODbegbie to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
rODbegbie
Drunk on Gin

quote:
Originally posted by Stuigi:
If we were to enter this contest, does lexus now have the right to sell our user information. If so, then I have a problem with this. Tivo is leading us to give up our rights to privacy.

Go to http://www.lexus.com/tivo/ . Look at the words "Privacy Policy" in the top right corner. Click on them. Read the words that are presented to you.

Hope this helps,

rOD.

POST #32 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 11-14-2001 06:26 AM
arjay

quote:
Originally posted by WTF:
If you don't stand up for your rights then you deserve to get walked over.

But its just a fancy VC.., er, personal television timeshifting wondergadget. Do you get rights with that?

Well, read me my rights.

"Up against the wall, mother...."

POST #33 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Glen Graham is offline Old Post 11-14-2001 06:32 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Glen Graham Find more posts by Glen Graham Add Glen Graham to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Glen Graham
Senior Moment

Arrow

quote:
Is there any way to delete this incredibly annoying Lexus spam?
I will not even consider buying a Lexus.

Yup, this is where I am as well. I want nothing more than to get rid of the line on my screen. Especially the star. My long standing philosophy is I refuse to support companies that willingly participate in annoying things.

So, though I was considering it, I will not buy X10. No Lexus for me, now, ever.

update!!!
I just called TiVo and complained. The rep had no idea what I was talking about "What Lexus ad?". However, I pursued and he put me on hold.

He returned and said that I am now opted OUT and will never receive anymore. The Lexus line will go away. However, he said that the star will remain....

RB?

------------------
Glen
Whatever is not nailed down, is mine.
Whatever I can pry loose... is not nailed down!

POST #34 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

smak is offline Old Post 11-14-2001 06:36 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for smak Find more posts by smak Add smak to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
smak
new glossy edition

Can i tell you how short-sighted some people are.

Everybody here loves their PVR, whatever brand it may be. They all say it changed the way they watch television.

Right now, the penetration level is low...What happens when PVR's have VCR type penetration, when VCR's are the dinosaur, and there are Tivo's and UTV's and Replay's in everybody's living room?

We're already seeing what the networks want to do with the Replay 4000.

You think if everybody had the ability to fast forward, or completely skip commercials, that TV as we know it would be the same.

This is the future of TV, you will have to expect this kind of thing, in order for not only Tivo to survived, but free television.

Whether it's the tivo/lexus thing, or product placements, or whatever, it's here to stay.

If the Super Bowl charges 3 million for a 30 second spot, and there are 60 minutes of commercials in the game broadcast, that's $360 million of advertising...

How is the network going to make that money up in 20 years if everybody is starting their Super Bowl party an hour late and skipping commercials.

It's not hard to imagine how....$$$

-smak-

POST #35 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 11-14-2001 06:39 AM
arjay

Y'know this Lexus presentation scheme has gotten as strong a response as any I've seen at this Forum.

I would be surprised if TiVo and RB don't give it a careful rethink. It might not be the greatest thing for TiVo's bottom line over the long haul.

[This message has been edited by arjay (edited 11-13-2001).]

POST #36 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 11-14-2001 06:40 AM
hkatz

Has anyone noticed that the Lexus ads CANNOT BE DELETED or am I missing something?

Who at TIVO has the right to force ME to waste room storing their commercials? With NO way to DELETE? Is their a lawyer out there that thinks this may be an infringement of rights?

Why can't I delete the ad after I watched it?

Will it delete my programs before that stupid ad?

The new software message has a glowing description of how they are going to download previews BUT instead they download ads which will not erase.

I BOUGHT THIS THING TO AVOID ADS - I will never recommend it
to anyone ever again.

For those of you excited about winning a Lexus - you will have to give your email address to them and receive a lot of spam. Try mis-spelling your first name (not the email address) and see how much spam arrives with that first name.

Trust me - you'll get spam and NO LEXUS. Opt out of the "something for nothing" crowd and you'll never be swindled again!! I'll buy my own Lexus if I want one!

If anyone offers you something for free - simply tell them you cannot afford any more free stuff!

POST #37 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

loopey is offline Old Post 11-14-2001 06:43 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for loopey Find more posts by loopey Add loopey to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
loopey

Now that there aren't 7 pages, or whatever it's gotten to, to sift through I'll post my thoughts.

I was annoyed at the PTCM but I got over it pretty quickly. I turned it on this morning to quickly delete the band of brothers doc. that I had saved to vcr last night. I hit the tivo button twice while my tv was warming up before I saw any picture and was confused as to what was happening (as it didn't bong twice indicating it went to the NPL). I was annoyed because I was in a hurry and had to get out of the PTCM.

I don't mind the email from tivo, spam is unsolicited, this was not unsolicited. I can't get angry at a company that sends me 1 email in about a month.

------------------
Cynthia

POST #38 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

JohnC is offline Old Post 11-14-2001 06:43 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for JohnC Find more posts by JohnC Add JohnC to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JohnC
Advanced Member

loggia, what version of the software are you running? I have a Sony DirecTivo with 2.5 software. I don't have the Lexus stuff on the Main Menu. For me it's an extra item in the Showcases and Tivolution Magazine. Both of those are unobtrusive there and I don't mind them one little bit.

I have a suspicion that with your version, they might not have had any choice but to list them the way that they did.

We all love our Tivo's and if it's necessary for them to survive, I have no problem for them selling some classy advertising - just don't put it in our face. I'd have to agree to be disappointed if the ads were on the main menu like yours is.

Funny how no one screamed when they put the NFL videos in Showcases. I don't personally see the difference between a car ad and a subscription ad for NFL.

POST #39 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

NoteTaker is offline Old Post 11-14-2001 06:44 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for NoteTaker Find more posts by NoteTaker Add NoteTaker to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
NoteTaker
Advanced Member

Just passing thru...increasing my post count.

------------------
Smilies anyone?

More smilies

DigitalVideo 2Go Rocks!

POST #40 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged