TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
>>> If You DON'T Have 2.0 Read This!!! <<<

Pages (18): « First ... « Prev 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 Next » ... Last »  
Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
chroma601 is offline Old Post 02-26-2001 08:41 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for chroma601 Find more posts by chroma601 Add chroma601 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
chroma601
Advanced Member

Talking

SiceIhave'tseeayoeelsemetioit:

gyzmotech,toddfreshman, Robert Heise, jjjones, rytau, kennyz, adams86 (Don, do you know a fellow named Maxwell Smart?), markoni, StacyT, ghytty -

Welcome to the Tivolution!

------------------
Running 30 hr Phillips with 1.3

POST #81 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

jemenake is offline Old Post 02-26-2001 08:44 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for jemenake Find more posts by jemenake Add jemenake to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jemenake

Talking

quote:
Originally posted by timf:
I'd be happy to make status posts from time to time, but until the number of sign-ups begins to level off, the information wouldn't be good very long.

How fast are people signing up? Inquiring minds want to know! I guess any info would help clear up confusion. For example, how often are picks going to be made? What's the deadline time going to be?

Here's an interesting one: When you pick, do you pick as many future groups as you can, or just the "next" one? To illustrate what I'm getting at, suppose you're "picking" the lucky people every day and suppose that you pick 100 people per group. Also, suppose that 300 people are signing up each day. There are two ways you can pick the groups.

The first way is to pick the first 3 groups on day one, the next three groups on day 2, etc. So, if you signed up on the first day, there's no way for you to be in a later group than someone who signed up on the second day.

The second way to pick the groups is to make each day a "whole new ballgame". In other words, you'd pick 100 people from the 300 signups on the first day. The next day, you'd pick 100 from the 500 (300 new, 200 remaining). Next day, you'd pick 100 from 700, and so on. So, there'd be a fair chance that early signup would yield an early upgrade, but it's not a guaranteed thing.

I'm not really voting for one way or the other. I guess they're both equally fair. I'm just curious to know how it is all planned to shake out.

quote:
[B}
Since it seems everyone ignored my previous post, 250 people were authorized for 2.0.1 out of everyone who filled out the form before Midnight EST last night.[/B]

AAAAGH! You're KILLING me! I signed up at like.... 2am... &lt;sniff... sniff..&gt;. I would have signed up by midnight.... I really would have, but I was... uh... volunteering as a clown to entertain at a burn center for undernourished orphans with leukemia. Oh, the price we pay for caring!

- Joe

------------------
Linux - "It is now safe to turn *ON* your computer"

POST #82 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

chroma601 is offline Old Post 02-26-2001 08:44 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for chroma601 Find more posts by chroma601 Add chroma601 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
chroma601
Advanced Member

Talking

Wow, where did that opening "word" come from!!? Time for a keyboard check!

It was supposed to say "Since I haven't seen anyone else mention it,"

Lots of first posts on this thread!

------------------

POST #83 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

rhoatson is offline Old Post 02-26-2001 08:47 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for rhoatson Find more posts by rhoatson Add rhoatson to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
rhoatson

Talking

quote:
Originally posted by timf:
...250 people were authorized for 2.0.1 out of everyone who filled out the form before Midnight EST last night.

I didn't ignore your post, I was maniacally checking me email. I received no invite, so we know there were more than 250 signups.

POST #84 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

kazymyr is offline Old Post 02-26-2001 08:47 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for kazymyr Visit kazymyr's homepage! Find more posts by kazymyr Add kazymyr to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
kazymyr
TiVo Forum Special Member

Talking

quote:
Originally posted by chroma601:
Wow, where did that opening "word" come from!!? Time for a keyboard check!

It was supposed to say "Since I haven't seen anyone else mention it,"

Lots of first posts on this thread!

Heh - you can live even without "n" and " ".

------------------
Confucius say: He who play in root, eventually kill tree (as seen on usenet).

POST #85 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

touring850 is offline Old Post 02-26-2001 09:08 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for touring850 Find more posts by touring850 Add touring850 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
touring850

Talking

thanks

POST #86 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 02-26-2001 09:30 PM
Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Savagan

Thanks RB.

Ok gang let's not let them down.

Matt

POST #87 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

wtb is offline Old Post 02-26-2001 09:31 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for wtb Find more posts by wtb Add wtb to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
wtb

Talking

quote:
Originally posted by Dan203:
During the 1.3 release the waves were a week apart, which would mean the roll could take as long as a year to get to all 100,000-150,000 customers. And even if they did 2000 a day it's going to take about 2-3 months.

What happens if Tivo is able to double their subscribers by the end of the year as I thought they announced? Then it might take 2 years? TiVo needs to step up the upgrade rate, ideally to have everyone upgraded with a couple of months max.

POST #88 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

chroma601 is offline Old Post 02-26-2001 10:10 PM
chroma601
Advanced Member

Talking

jemenake, I would expect all selections to be from the master list, or else people would want to sign up every day, creating a server load of unmitigated proportions.

At least I hope so!

------------------

POST #89 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 02-26-2001 11:06 PM
jeshuah

Talking

Okay, this is totally worth registering, de-lurking, and jumping on the bandwagon for... :^)

I've been browsing this forum pretty regularly for about a year and a half, but have never had the motivation (or the time, really) to be an active participant. I am the proud owner of a 30-hour Sony unit which has worked flawlessly for more than a year (I managed to get one of the very first Sony units to hit the retail shelves in California), and my friends and family will tell you that I'm a shameless TiVo promoter.

I've learned alot from reading the discussions on this board, and I look forward to participating now that I have (finally) registered.

POST #90 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

bdub is offline Old Post 02-26-2001 11:42 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for bdub Visit bdub's homepage! Find more posts by bdub Add bdub to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bdub

Smile

Welcome to the forum, Jeshuah. I look forward to your participation!

------------------
-Brian

POST #91 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

timf is offline Old Post 02-27-2001 12:08 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for timf Visit timf's homepage! Find more posts by timf Add timf to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
timf
TiVo Forum Special Member

Unhappy

There are currently over 500 people signed up, including the 250 who should be getting it today.

------------------
Tim
DTVRwTS & Suggestion Avenue Moderator

POST #92 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Dan203 is offline Old Post 02-27-2001 12:23 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Dan203 Visit Dan203's homepage! Find more posts by Dan203 Add Dan203 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dan203
Cyn-er

Cool

quote:
Originally posted by jemenake:
How fast are people signing up? Inquiring minds want to know! I guess any info would help clear up confusion. For example, how often are picks going to be made? What's the deadline time going to be?

Here's an interesting one: When you pick, do you pick as many future groups as you can, or just the "next" one? To illustrate what I'm getting at, suppose you're "picking" the lucky people every day and suppose that you pick 100 people per group. Also, suppose that 300 people are signing up each day. There are two ways you can pick the groups.

About 180 signed up in the three hours it was open on Friday, another 200 or so signed up yesterday and another 150 or so have signed up today. Given that rate, unless you're really unlucky, you should be chosen within the next couple of rounds.

As for how we pick... We're picking names as they're needed (every 4 days). That is the only fair way to do it since I said timing was not important.

Dan

------------------
Moderator: TiVo Coffee House, Help Center & Happy Hour
3 Philips TiVos Running 2.0.1

POST #93 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 02-27-2001 12:27 AM
speds

Smile

This is very good news.

Thanks for everbody who has made this possible.

THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

POST #94 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 02-27-2001 12:29 AM
John Gibbons

Talking

I for one don't care if I get it tonight or two weeks from now. I'm just very pleased that Tivo is cool enough to reward it's biggest supporters. Thanks guys!

Cheers,
John

POST #95 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 02-27-2001 01:24 AM
terpster

Talking

I saw the message last Friday that I would have to provide my name exactly as it appears on my account (two accounts in my case ;-) Since I have two lifetime accounts I did not have access to the exact names of record.

So, I contacted Customer Service by phone and was advised by the rep that the information on the AVS Forum was incorrect; that I would have to sign up with him directly if I wanted to be on the upgrade list. In fact, he provided me with two case numbers for each of my accounts.

Seems like the old "whose on first" routine.

POST #96 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Dan203 is offline Old Post 02-27-2001 01:41 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Dan203 Visit Dan203's homepage! Find more posts by Dan203 Add Dan203 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dan203
Cyn-er

Cool

quote:
Originally posted by terpster:
I saw the message last Friday that I would have to provide my name exactly as it appears on my account (two accounts in my case ;-) Since I have two lifetime accounts I did not have access to the exact names of record.

So, I contacted Customer Service by phone and was advised by the rep that the information on the AVS Forum was incorrect; that I would have to sign up with him directly if I wanted to be on the upgrade list. In fact, he provided me with two case numbers for each of my accounts.

Seems like the old "whose on first" routine.

Customer care doesn't know or care about this list. This is something Richard is allowing us to do as a reward to AVS members. I'm taking care of the maintenance and software, Tim is doing the selection and sending out the invites and Richard is feeding in the serial numbers into the system! Customer care is not involved in the process in any way, and have no reason to be. In fact if you read my first post you will see that I clearly stated that calling customer care about any of the required information will result in you being banned from this list altogether, so leave customer care alone about this one. If you need conformation that it's official, and the fact that me and Tim are mods doesn't do it for you, then e-mail Richard ( tivolutionary@tivo.com ) and ask him.

Dan

------------------
Moderator: TiVo Coffee House, Help Center & Happy Hour
3 Philips TiVos Running 2.0.1

[This message has been edited by Dan203 (edited 02-26-2001).]

POST #97 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 02-27-2001 02:07 AM
Bubba

Thumbs up

Thanks for the opportunity!!! I too have been willing to sit back and wait patiently. Any chance at an early upgrade is just icing on the TiVo cake.

Thanks again to all involved!!!!

POST #98 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 02-27-2001 02:23 AM
gibmeister

Talking

do we know that this is a legit site? and not someone just collecting email addresses and serial numbers?

POST #99 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 02-27-2001 02:33 AM
oester

Smile

I must be lucky. I'm a (relativly) new member, filled out the form, and got a confirmation email within a couple of hours yesterday. Hmm - I wonder if I will have 2.0 when I get home?

An did I mention my rebate check came in about 5 weeks?

POST #100 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged