TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
>>> Monthly Price Increase <<<

Pages (36): « Prev 1 [2] 3 4 5 Next » ... Last »  
Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
TiVolutionary is offline Old Post 02-27-2002 01:42 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for TiVolutionary Find more posts by TiVolutionary Add TiVolutionary to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
TiVolutionary
Unemployed Geek

Cool

I'm sorry, but I won't disclose planned features.

The promotion is for 30 days, I think.

Only customers who were on Monthly as of yesterday are eligable for the $200 Product Lifetime promotion.

-RB

Edit: It is 30 days. And it's $199, not $200.

Last edited by TiVolutionary on 02-27-2002 at 01:53 AM

POST #21 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

charles_d is offline Old Post 02-27-2002 01:44 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for charles_d Find more posts by charles_d Add charles_d to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
charles_d

So, the break-even point for the $200 lifetime is around 15 months under the new structure. Looks like an easy decision to me...

POST #22 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

JoeTiVo is offline Old Post 02-27-2002 01:44 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for JoeTiVo Visit JoeTiVo's homepage! Find more posts by JoeTiVo Add JoeTiVo to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JoeTiVo
HD or Tivo? Hmm...

quote:
Originally posted by TiVolutionary

Only customers who were on Monthly as of yesterday are eligable for the $200 Product Lifetime promotion.

-RB

And obviously this deal is for standalone customers only?

My Home Theater

POST #23 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

John Kador is offline Old Post 02-27-2002 01:44 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for John Kador Find more posts by John Kador Add John Kador to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
John Kador

Is the lifetime subscription for NEW customers who haven't yet subscribed still $249?

Darn I knew I should have signed up for monthly already, could have saved $40

POST #24 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

JoeTiVo is offline Old Post 02-27-2002 01:45 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for JoeTiVo Visit JoeTiVo's homepage! Find more posts by JoeTiVo Add JoeTiVo to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JoeTiVo
HD or Tivo? Hmm...

quote:
Originally posted by charles_d
So, the break-even point for the $200 lifetime is around 15 months under the new structure. Looks like an easy decision to me...

15.45 to be exact.

My Home Theater

POST #25 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

charles_d is offline Old Post 02-27-2002 01:46 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for charles_d Find more posts by charles_d Add charles_d to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
charles_d

Joe,

Why would this promotion be only for standalone? I'm currently $9.95/Month for my DirecTivo service -- I assume that the increase is for _all_ monthly subscribers.

POST #26 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Dan203 is offline Old Post 02-27-2002 01:47 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Dan203 Visit Dan203's homepage! Find more posts by Dan203 Add Dan203 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dan203
Cyn-er

Ouch! That's going to cost me another $9 a month

Any chance of getting a discount for those of us with multiple units? Perhaps $12.95 for the first unit and $8.95 for each additional unit? That would help take out some of the sting.

Dan

All with Lifetime
Note: Two of the above TiVos actually belong to loopey, but I have access to them so I'm counting them

"It's all fun and games until someone loses an eye" - loopey
"Dan's absolutely correct." - TiVoPony (link)
"Dan's absolutely correct." - TiVoOpsMgr (link)

POST #27 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Guyy is offline Old Post 02-27-2002 01:48 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Guyy Visit Guyy's homepage! Find more posts by Guyy Add Guyy to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Guyy
Advanced Member

quote:
Joe,

Why would this promotion be only for standalone? I'm currently $9.95/Month for my DirecTivo service -- I assume that the increase is for _all_ monthly subscribers.

Read the first post it's for SA subs only.. But if the 200 bucks to upgrade to lifetime deal was offered to Dtivo users. I might think about it..

RB, any chance you could let us know how many monthly subs are out there? Just wondering..

POST #28 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

JoeTiVo is offline Old Post 02-27-2002 01:49 AM
JoeTiVo
HD or Tivo? Hmm...

quote:
Joe,

You're not keeping up, Charles. RB has posted (and edited his original post) to mention that the price increase is only for Standalone customers.

My Home Theater

POST #29 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Dan203 is offline Old Post 02-27-2002 01:50 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Dan203 Visit Dan203's homepage! Find more posts by Dan203 Add Dan203 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dan203
Cyn-er

Cool

quote:

Not when you've already had your TiVo for 2 years at $9.95 a month! Or if you have multiple units that are going to cost you $200 a piece!

Dan

All with Lifetime
Note: Two of the above TiVos actually belong to loopey, but I have access to them so I'm counting them

"It's all fun and games until someone loses an eye" - loopey
"Dan's absolutely correct." - TiVoPony (link)
"Dan's absolutely correct." - TiVoOpsMgr (link)

POST #30 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

daperlman is offline Old Post 02-27-2002 01:50 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for daperlman Visit daperlman's homepage! Find more posts by daperlman Add daperlman to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
daperlman
sci-fi wasabi

quote:
Read the post post it's for SA subs only.. But if the 200 bucks to upgrade to lifetime deal was offered to Dtivo users. I might think about it..

Me too... But are we to expect Direct TV to know about this? So that we could call them and tell them to switch us?

POST #31 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

JoeTiVo is offline Old Post 02-27-2002 01:51 AM
JoeTiVo
HD or Tivo? Hmm...

quote:
Originally posted by Guyy

But if the 200 bucks to upgrade to lifetime deal was offered to Dtivo users. I might think about it..

I was pulling out my wallet to get to my CC just as RB corrected his post. I was definitely going to take advantage of it.

My Home Theater

POST #32 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

gleffler is offline Old Post 02-27-2002 01:52 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for gleffler Visit gleffler's homepage! Find more posts by gleffler Add gleffler to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
gleffler
This one goes to 11

Thumbs down

Sigh.

A 30% price increase for SAs, which were already $10 a month? UUNet POP fees (especially since the 800 number is now gone.) and the program guide data can't possibly cost that much. In addition, I strongly doubt that any new features that don't carry further monthly fees will come out for Series 1 units. All of the demoed services and services TiVo has asked about (in various surveys that have been discussed here) all carried additional monthly fees. I don't see how a 30% price increase for the exact same service is warranted, when TiVo's costs are going down.

In addition, this seems to be doing the opposite of what TiVo wants--pushing people onto Product Lifetime. After 20 months, TiVo stops making money on Product Lifetime subscriptions. Keep the price of monthly down and have TiVo keep making money every month.

EDIT: I just thought of another reason why I'm ticked that TiVo is raising SA prices. TiVo Takes is gone. Showcases and TiVolution magazine, frankly, pretty much suck now. What are we paying for? $13 a month for the TiVo service, now that it is getting quite pared down to just a program guide and some of the advertised functions.

/gleffler

Last edited by gleffler on 02-27-2002 at 01:58 AM

POST #33 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Corran Horn is offline Old Post 02-27-2002 01:53 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Corran Horn Find more posts by Corran Horn Add Corran Horn to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Corran Horn

well...

quote:

On the bright side, this pretty much makes a decision for me that I was pushing myself towards anyway. I'll be going 'lifetime'.

POST #34 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

kdaveler is offline Old Post 02-27-2002 01:53 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for kdaveler Find more posts by kdaveler Add kdaveler to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
kdaveler
Always Happy Hour!

Can I help RB,

This has nothing to do with DirectV Combo units.
This has nothing to do with current Lifetime subs.
This has nothing to do with any future Subs.

This only effects current monthy stand alone subs.

Hows that.

POST #35 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

zaknafein is offline Old Post 02-27-2002 01:54 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for zaknafein Visit zaknafein's homepage! Find more posts by zaknafein Add zaknafein to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
zaknafein
iddqd

quote:
Originally posted by daperlman

Me too... But are we to expect Direct TV to know about this? So that we could call them and tell them to switch us?

I don't think that was in the initial plan, but I'll add my name in as one who would switch. If TiVo really does need funds (which, clearly they do) allowing everyone to switch to lifetime for $200 would be an easy way to generate some serious cash in a hurry.

POST #36 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

rickertk is offline Old Post 02-27-2002 01:54 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for rickertk Find more posts by rickertk Add rickertk to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
rickertk
Not quite new Member

Any information on pricing levels for those with the grandfathered
annual subscriptions? I've been thinking about going lifetime anyways.

Keith

POST #37 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

charles_d is offline Old Post 02-27-2002 01:56 AM
charles_d

quote:
You're not keeping up, Charles. RB has posted (and edited his original post) to mention that the price increase is only for Standalone customers.

Jeez, guess I gotta learn to type faster. First this thread spills over to two pages in no time flat and then the lead post gets changed...

If the $200 offer is made available to DTivo users, I'll definitely take advantage of it...

POST #38 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

cheerdude is offline Old Post 02-27-2002 01:58 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for cheerdude Find more posts by cheerdude Add cheerdude to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
cheerdude
Marathon Trainee

RB -

Realizing that the "cards in the mail" will have more info....

To get the special rate, will you have to do this via a phone call or will the "Manage My Account" option to change to a Lifetime subscription work as well ?

Jeff

Please visit my Personal Page to learn more and to donate online. 100% of your donation is Tax Deductible.
If you wish to donate via check, please either PM or email me for information.

POST #39 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Ereth is offline Old Post 02-27-2002 01:58 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Ereth Visit Ereth's homepage! Find more posts by Ereth Add Ereth to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ereth
MMM..Strawberry!

This does lead back to the question about shared information between TiVo's. Those of us with multiple TiVo's have long suggested that, if we could network them, there'd only be a need for one to call in, instead of (in my case) all four. That one could feed the info to the others. Ideally, in that situation, there'd be a reduced fee for the other units.

Not that I expect that to be part of this discussion, but I'd like to suggest it for future consideration, especially as networking seems more likely for the Series 2s.

2 of mine are already on Lifetime, so I'm only hit twice. I had been thinking of getting a Series 2 and moving one of my monthly units to a family member who needs a TiVo but hasn't been able to convince his wife. Giving them the gift of a $12.95 monthly bill may make that a less pleasant gift. I'll have to think on it some more.

I'm guessing the timing is set to coincide with Tax Refunds? Get people to migrate to lifetime. I probably would but my Jaguars Season Tickets are also due. Decisions, decisions.

What I find odd is that this makes Lifetime more attractive (payoff is sooner). Wasn't there something in one of the conference calls about changing the ratio of lifetime/monthly customers to increase the percentage of monthlies? This seems to go against that, unless they plan to increase the cost of Lifetime after the 30-day window?

POST #40 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged