TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Suggestion Avenue
>>> "Alternate" option for season pass conflicts <<<

Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
davo is offline Old Post 03-10-2002 05:08 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for davo Find more posts by davo Add davo to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
davo

"Alternate" option for season pass conflicts

When two or more shows conflict in season pass (a common issue for prime-time shows) there should be an option to alternate between each show. I would prefer that over getting 5 shows per week of one program and none of the other. Random choice would also be fine and probably easier to implement. There are some shows I may not want to miss (like Survivor first runs) and others I'm happy to watch occasionally (Letterman/Leno).

This seems like an obvious feature but I didn't see it in the FAQ. Sorry if it has been covered.

POST #1 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

BrettStah is offline Old Post 03-10-2002 07:23 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for BrettStah Find more posts by BrettStah Add BrettStah to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
BrettStah
TiVo Forum Special Member

Interesting idea!

For now, you could try this (I'll use your Leno and Letterman example):

Set up a season pass for each show. For Leno, set the Keep at Most to = 2, and for Letterman set the Keep at Most to = 3. Set both of them to "Save Until I Delete".

Set the priorities of Leno to be one spot higher than Letterman.

Now, let's assume you have no current episodes of Leno or Letterman recorded.

Monday - Leno
Tuesday - Leno
Wednesday - Letterman
Thursday - Letterman
Friday - Letterman

Just make sure to delete them before the next Monday rolls around.

Of course, NBC plays a rerun of Leno a few hours after the regular one, and often doesn't provide enough guide data for the season pass to realize it's a rerun. So you might have to double up on your Leno season pass... set it to keep 4 episodes.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

POST #2 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

non sequitur is offline Old Post 03-10-2002 04:08 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for non sequitur Find more posts by non sequitur Add non sequitur to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
non sequitur

Another solution

I think you can just go into 'Season Pass Manager' and 'View Upcoming Episodes' and select which ones you want to record and which ones you don't. If you do this for one SP then the other lower priority SP should kick in and record the show since there isn't a scheduling conflict anymore.

POST #3 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

davo is offline Old Post 03-12-2002 09:52 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for davo Find more posts by davo Add davo to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
davo

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll try the "season pass + keep until I delete" trick first and see how that goes.

I'm looking for a set and forget option. I don't want to have to manually set anything. My favorite feature of Tivo so far is it doesn't need daily or weekly care and feeding for what it does (except to thumbs down down down the jerry springer it kept trying to record when I first got it).

- David

POST #4 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

edrock200 is offline Old Post 03-13-2002 05:07 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for edrock200 Find more posts by edrock200 Add edrock200 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
edrock200

quote:
Originally posted by BrettStah
Of course, NBC plays a rerun of Leno a few hours after the regular one, and often doesn't provide enough guide data for the season pass to realize it's a rerun. So you might have to double up on your Leno season pass... set it to keep 4 episodes.

You could just set the first showing of Leno as a repeated manaul recording and then set the options...this way you won't get the second rerun...

Also, when there is a conflict in shows with the DTivo (2 tuners) I would like the DTivo of giving me the option of which of the 2 previously scheduled recordings to cancel...currently it only lets me cancel the recording with a lower priority...

POST #5 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

BrettStah is offline Old Post 03-13-2002 05:09 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for BrettStah Find more posts by BrettStah Add BrettStah to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
BrettStah

quote:
Originally posted by edrock200

You could just set the first showing of Leno as a repeated manaul recording and then set the options...this way you won't get the second rerun...

True... of course, if you're going to go with Manual Recordings then you could pick which specific days to record which channel at the timeslot... works fine for some shows that rarely, if ever, change timeslots.

POST #6 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

rbird is offline Old Post 03-15-2002 12:53 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for rbird Find more posts by rbird Add rbird to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
rbird
uses tivo "wrong"

Actually, it's difficult to pick specific days for a manual recording. In fact, it's quite impossible to pick "Mon-Thurs" (like for the Daily Show). You'd have to set a different manual recording for each day of the week.

Bob

POST #7 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

BrettStah is offline Old Post 03-15-2002 03:40 AM
BrettStah

quote:
Originally posted by rbird
Actually, it's difficult to pick specific days for a manual recording. In fact, it's quite impossible to pick "Mon-Thurs" (like for the Daily Show). You'd have to set a different manual recording for each day of the week.

Bob

Yep... that's what I was getting at... you can pick to record the normal Leno timeslot on Monday with one manual recording, Letterman's timeslot on Tuesday with another one, etc. Ugly, but workable...

POST #8 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

edrock200 is offline Old Post 03-15-2002 07:53 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for edrock200 Find more posts by edrock200 Add edrock200 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
edrock200

quote:
Originally posted by rbird

Bob

Not if you do the "keep until I delete" thing we were talking about above...

POST #9 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

dllewel is offline Old Post 03-16-2002 02:46 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for dllewel Visit dllewel's homepage! Find more posts by dllewel Add dllewel to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dllewel

quote:
Originally posted by BrettStah
For now, you could try this (I'll use your Leno and Letterman example):

Set up a season pass for each show. For Leno, set the Keep at Most to = 2, and for Letterman set the Keep at Most to = 3. Set both of them to "Save Until I Delete".

Set the priorities of Leno to be one spot higher than Letterman.

Now, let's assume you have no current episodes of Leno or Letterman recorded.

Monday - Leno
Tuesday - Leno
Wednesday - Letterman
Thursday - Letterman
Friday - Letterman

Just make sure to delete them before the next Monday rolls around.

My understanding about the TiVo "keep at most" setting was that it will delete the oldest automatically to record a new episode. Using your example above...

if the 2 Leno's were first recorded on Mon and Tue, if they were not watched or deleted when Wed show was on it would still record Leno on Wed, and automatically delete the Mon episode.

I am a faily new user to my DirecTiVo but I am quite sure this is how it is stated in the manual.

Anyone else?

Halloween Enthusiast - visit http://ravenmanor.com

POST #10 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

edrock200 is offline Old Post 03-16-2002 03:04 AM
edrock200

quote:
Originally posted by dllewel

if the 2 Leno's were first recorded on Mon and Tue, if they were not watched or deleted when Wed show was on it would still record Leno on Wed, and automatically delete the Mon episode.

Anyone else?

If you look above it states that you set it to keep at most 2, but also set it for "Save Until I delete" and don't delete them until the end of the week. Once it records two, it won't pick up anymore until the first two were deleted.

POST #11 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Wyndham is offline Old Post 03-25-2002 06:22 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Wyndham Find more posts by Wyndham Add Wyndham to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Wyndham

Sorting out conflicts is too basic

The options for sorting out conflicts is just too basic at present.

For one thing, you cannot view the details of programs that might be removed from the recording schedule. There should be a way of viewing those programs details. The name (if a film for example) many not be know but once you see the details at least you can decide.

You should be able to select individual conflicting programs to record or remove.

POST #12 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

lieutenantglorp is offline Old Post 04-04-2002 08:33 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for lieutenantglorp Find more posts by lieutenantglorp Add lieutenantglorp to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
lieutenantglorp

Better yet- having two tuners in my DirecTivo is great, but how about 3 or 4? Goodbye season pass conflicts and extended middle finger to the prime time hogging networks.

POST #13 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged