TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
>>> Tivosucks.com <<<

Pages (10): « Prev 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 Next » ... Last »  
Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
walters is offline Old Post 03-20-2002 11:39 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for walters Find more posts by walters Add walters to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
walters
TiVo Forum Special Member

quote:
You agree not to use this forum to accuse anyone, any company or any product of being "stupid" or a "fraud" or to use a term like "snake oil" to describe a particular product, as such terms may be viewed as defamatory and abusive.

Of course, now that we're debating forum rules...

POST #61 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Turtleboy is offline Old Post 03-20-2002 11:53 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Turtleboy Find more posts by Turtleboy Add Turtleboy to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Turtleboy

quote:
Originally posted by HTH

Yeah, I'm wondering: if this thread isn't a personal attack, when does it become one? Apparently comparing him to Alfred E. Newman doesn't qualify. Or is this person not on the forum, making it okay?

Not that I'm suggesting it be closed or deleted.

If it makes you happy I could delete the thread, considering as thread starter, I have that power....

But then again, this is the most popular thread that I've ever started, and I'm really feeling the love right now, so I'm reluctant to do so.

At least someone should send the guy the link to this board and thread, so at least he knows where everything is coming from

But then again, again, he may sue us too.

POST #62 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Hoffer is offline Old Post 03-21-2002 12:32 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Hoffer Find more posts by Hoffer Add Hoffer to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Hoffer
Hey Now!!!

quote:
Originally posted by HTH

Yeah, I'm wondering: if this thread isn't a personal attack, when does it become one? Apparently comparing him to Alfred E. Newman doesn't qualify. Or is this person not on the forum, making it okay?

Not that I'm suggesting it be closed or deleted.

There is a thread in Chit-Chat about Carmen Electra where people are saying some bad things about her. Should that thread be closed too?

There was also a thread that some some bad stuff about Anna Nicole Smith. Who knows if the stuff was true. Maybe that should be deleted.

You can say that Carmen and Anna are celebrities. Well, Gary became a celebrity when he created an internet site for the general public to view. If he doesn't want people talking crap about him, he should have tried to setup his site anonymously.

POST #63 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

MichaelK is offline Old Post 03-21-2002 12:33 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for MichaelK Find more posts by MichaelK Add MichaelK to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MichaelK

quote:
Originally posted by MighTiVo

Note:
If http://www.digitalrecorder.tv can buy a lifetime subscription for $100, why can't TiVo just transfer the subscription to a new box for $150 (or less). For the consumer this would be the same price but only dealing with TiVo.

Never saw that before but i'd say what they are doing is questionable. Not totally black or white but certainly gray enough that If Tivo gets aggravated enough by it, they could sue or whatever.

POST #64 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

MichaelK is offline Old Post 03-21-2002 01:03 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for MichaelK Find more posts by MichaelK Add MichaelK to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MichaelK

quote:
Originally posted by peter144

Absolutely true. TIVO is very clear about what "lifetime" means.

The problem is that Philips TIVO units are less than fully reliable. And rather than stand behind those units, TIVO gives a pathetic 90 day guarantee, charges $100. to fix a fried modem (the most frequent complaint according to this board), is nasty about transferring service when a unit fails and has even dumped Philips in favor of another manufacturer.

If TIVO doesn't survive, it will not be because of the concept, software or even the service pricing, it will be because management has failed to solve the hardware problem...creating a highly reliable box at an affordable price, getting lots of them into the field, and standing 100% behind anything that carries the TIVO name.
Peter

while i agree that they are very clear. I also Agree that their marketing isn't clear enough to keep confusion from occuring. I think the term lifetime is stupid in this case.

Anyhow, while your on the right path, i think again its a marketing issue. The boxes say TIvo on 'em but peoples grip is with sony or philips and tivo should make that clear. You dont bitch at intel or ms when your compaq pc dies even though it has an intel inside and windows xp sticker on it.

POST #65 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

daperlman is offline Old Post 03-21-2002 01:23 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for daperlman Visit daperlman's homepage! Find more posts by daperlman Add daperlman to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
daperlman
sci-fi wasabi

Meanwhile did anyone notice that www.imadumbass.com is registered

Organization:
Curt Rogers
Curt Rogers
316 Conestoga Street
Windsor, CT 06095
US
Phone: 860-833-0885
Email: curt.rogers@ingeniousgroup.com

Registrar Name....: Register.com
Registrar Whois...: whois.register.com
Registrar Homepage: http://www.register.com

Domain Name: IMADUMBASS.COM

Created on..............: Tue, Jun 27, 2000
Expires on..............: Thu, Jun 27, 2002
Record last updated on..: Thu, Jun 28, 2001

Administrative Contact:
Curt Rogers
Curt Rogers
316 Conestoga Street
Windsor, CT 06095
US
Phone: 860-833-0885
Email: curt.rogers@ingeniousgroup.com

Technical Contact, Zone Contact:
Register.Com
Domain Registrar
575 8th Avenue - 11th Floor
New York, NY 10018
US
Phone: 212-798-9200
Fax..: 212-629-9305
Email: domain-registrar@register.com

Domain servers in listed order:

EINSTEIN.INGENIOUSGROUP.NET 24.7.10.144

POST #66 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

justapixel is offline Old Post 03-21-2002 01:24 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for justapixel Find more posts by justapixel Add justapixel to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
justapixel
TiVo Mama

Okay, I have received some complaints about this thread. I tended to let it go. Nobody who is a member of this forum is being attacked, and the points are well-taken that many people have said nasty things about other people in the public eye. It's arguable that this guy made himself public by putting his web site online. Also, it's logical that somebody who tries to put the very reason we are all together and talking with each other, TiVo, out of business, would be a natural for our wrath.

However, Walters had a point too. Maybe we can keep the dumbasses, the morons, and the comments on the man's appearance to a mimimum, and instead figure out a way to discuss what he is doing/has done/wants to do without all the nastiness. I'm sure a group this intelligent can manage it.

I'm eclectic.

POST #67 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

David Bolling is offline Old Post 03-21-2002 01:26 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for David Bolling Find more posts by David Bolling Add David Bolling to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
David Bolling
Pocket PC Developer

Can we still call him a maroon (sic)? Or maybe a sic maroon?

POST #68 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

walters is offline Old Post 03-21-2002 01:30 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for walters Find more posts by walters Add walters to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
walters

Funny thing is, I read all the Usenet threads he posted in. They were remarkably civil in describing how misguided he was. Have we gotten worse than Usenet?

POST #69 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

stangm is offline Old Post 03-21-2002 01:32 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for stangm Find more posts by stangm Add stangm to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
stangm

Hypothetical situation.

Bought a used Tivo. Got the lifetime sub. Added drive space. The Tivo later dies. Can I send it to Tivo for repair and save the lifetime sub? I know it's not warrantied, and I would pay full cost for the repair, but can I save the lifetime sub that way? Just want to know if it's an option I can use if I need to someday...

POST #70 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Raspewtin is offline Old Post 03-21-2002 01:32 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Raspewtin Find more posts by Raspewtin Add Raspewtin to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Raspewtin

disco904,

my comments weren't meant to be reflective of you personally (or anyone specific). they were just general comments about the generally zestiness of this thread :P

(OT: when is something zesty, and when is something spicy? oh well)

POST #71 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

HTH is offline Old Post 03-21-2002 01:34 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for HTH Visit HTH's homepage! Find more posts by HTH Add HTH to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
HTH
No Avatar Selected

quote:
Originally posted by Turtleboy
If it makes you happy I could delete the thread, considering as thread starter, I have that power....
quote:
Originally posted by b11051973
There is a thread in Chit-Chat about Carmen Electra where people are saying some bad things about her. Should that thread be closed too?

Perhaps you both missed the part of my message you both quoted that said, "Not that I'm suggesting it be closed or deleted"?

I'm not complaining, I'm not suggesting, I'm just wondering "aprint".

If you are dissatisfied with your life, return unused portion for partial refund.

POST #72 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

walters is offline Old Post 03-21-2002 01:34 AM
walters

quote:
Originally posted by stangm
Hypothetical situation.

Bought a used Tivo. Got the lifetime sub. Added drive space. The Tivo later dies. Can I send it to Tivo for repair and save the lifetime sub? I know it's not warrantied, and I would pay full cost for the repair, but can I save the lifetime sub that way? Just want to know if it's an option I can use if I need to someday...

In that case you'd probably just fix it yourself (most likely it was the hard drive, which you already had experience with).

But, yes. You'd restore it to factory condition (using the backup I'm sure you made, if necessary), get it fixed, then re-upgrade it.

POST #73 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

peter144 is offline Old Post 03-21-2002 01:44 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for peter144 Find more posts by peter144 Add peter144 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
peter144

quote:
Originally posted by MichaelK

Anyhow, while your on the right path, i think again its a marketing issue. The boxes say TIvo on 'em but peoples grip is with sony or philips and tivo should make that clear. You dont bitch at intel or ms when your compaq pc dies even though it has an intel inside and windows xp sticker on it.

Two points:

First, the denial of responsibility and passing the blame between computer hardware and software manufacturers has been going on for years. Microsoft will tell you that if your Windows was installed OEM, call the computer company; if you bought Windows and installed it yourself, call Microsoft.

Second, TIVO has assumed the customer service responsibility, at least for Philips. If your Philips unit dies, you call TIVO and they arrange to get it repaired. Since TIVO has no control over the quality or manufacturing process, this is a no win situation for TIVO. It is like calling your internet provider if your computer fails.

In my opinion, failure to solve the hardware problem is TIVO's biggest obstacle to success.

Peter

POST #74 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

bsnelson is offline Old Post 03-21-2002 01:50 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for bsnelson Visit bsnelson's homepage! Find more posts by bsnelson Add bsnelson to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bsnelson

It can't be a personal attack thread unless the attackee is here to attack back!

Brad

(1) Samsung SIR4040R (35 hours)

POST #75 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Bradc314 is offline Old Post 03-21-2002 01:53 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Bradc314 Find more posts by Bradc314 Add Bradc314 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bradc314
Hi.

quote:

Selling a product with no user-servicable parts is an obsolete concept.

No it's not. When's the last time you opened the back of your TV or Radio to replace parts? (Remeber the tube testers at K-Mart?)

As disposable income grows, so do the number of disposable consumer goods, especially electronics. Some battery operated devices (i.e. calculators) don't even have replaceable batteries.

Last edited by Bradc314 on 03-21-2002 at 02:00 AM

POST #76 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Bradc314 is offline Old Post 03-21-2002 02:06 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Bradc314 Find more posts by Bradc314 Add Bradc314 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bradc314
Hi.

The more I think about it, the more I think the redirect to his company's website is a mistake. I'll bet he's using IIS, created a subweb for tivosucks.com, and set up the registration and DNS. Now that all this noise is going on, what does he do? He back tracks by deleting his subweb and changes his DNS entries, except that the DNS and registrations have not propagated yet, and IIS is sending all these requests to the default web, leading us all to Maracom's door step.

Oops.

Bigger Oops: His Maracom USA page is now down. I can just hear the folicals being ripped from his scalp.

POST #77 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

peter144 is offline Old Post 03-21-2002 02:08 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for peter144 Find more posts by peter144 Add peter144 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
peter144

quote:
Originally posted by Bradc314

No it's not. When's the last time you opened the back of your TV or Radio to replace parts? (Remeber the tube testers at K-Mart?)

As disposable income grows, so do the number of disposable consumer goods, especially electronics. Some battery operated devices (i.e. calculators) don't even have replaceable batteries.

Sure, if it is a $49.00 Radio Shack item. But a Tivo with "lifetime" service costs as much as a personal computer. How would you feel about scrapping your entire PC if the modem fried or a hard drive crashed?

You would call the manufactuer who would diagnose the problem over the telephone; you would have the new part with full installation instructions in a few days (overnight if you wanted to pay for it). If you couldn't install it yourself, your teenage kid probalby could.

Peter

POST #78 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

JoeTiVo is offline Old Post 03-21-2002 02:09 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for JoeTiVo Visit JoeTiVo's homepage! Find more posts by JoeTiVo Add JoeTiVo to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JoeTiVo
HD or Tivo? Hmm...

quote:
Originally posted by Bradc314
[...] and IIS is sending all these requests to the default web, leading us all to Maracom's door step.

The site is pushing 404s now. Looks like he figured it out.

My Home Theater

POST #79 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Bradc314 is offline Old Post 03-21-2002 02:14 AM
Bradc314
Hi.

quote:

How would you feel about scrapping your entire PC if the modem fried or a hard drive crashed?

You would call the manufactuer who would diagnose the problem over the telephone; you would have the new part with full installation instructions in a few days (overnight if you wanted to pay for it). If you couldn't install it yourself, your teenage kid probalby could.

Peter

I know exactly how I'd feel, because something similar happened to me. My 27" Sony's picture tube went out on me 6 weeks after the warranty expired. 6 Weeks. No user servicable parts there, and at the time I bought it, 27" was a BIG TV, and it cost me a lot. I took it to the repair shop who advised me the cost to repair, which was much higher than my new 35" TV cost, so I set it out on the curb for the garbage fairies to nibble on.

It sucks, but that's life. Get over it, and get on with it.

POST #80 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged